Who is the greatest player in the history of United in your opinion? And your personal greatest idol?

matbezlima

Who is the greatest player in the history of United in your opinion? And your personal greatest idol?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The greatest Manchester United player of all time was Bobby Charlton.

The best player to play for Manchester United was either Best or Ronaldo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Best from what I understand - Sir Bobby Charlton
Best from what I've seen - Paul Scholes
Personal idol (s) - Ruud - Vidic - Scholes

SpyLuke10

Either Sir Bobby Charlton, Giggs or Scholes. Has to be one of those 3.

matbezlima

I dont idolise footballers, nor worship them but i do like and admire beckham
Of course I don't mean idolize in a religious sense, I'm christian and no idolizer, I mean something like what you said about Beckham.

siw2007

The greatest for me is between Sir Bobby Charlton and Ryan Giggs.
The most talented player I have seen at the club has got be Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Purley King

Never saw Best play, but I'd say he was the greatest player we've ever had.
My personal idol is Bryan Robson. A true warrior. Used to drag us through games single handed, mostly at times when we were not much more than a Cup side.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If there's a "right" answer to this then it's Charlton. Not just because he was by all accounts a wonderful player but also because of when he was a wonderful player, playing such a huge role as the club re-built post-Munich. He's Mr. Manchester United.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Idol: Harry Gregg. The reluctant and humble hero of Munich, a beacon of goodness and courage...great, great man. Nuff said. Usually go with Keane but I'm in a mood right now.
Greatest: Bobby Charlton. Has to be him because he was a Babe, survived Munich, made a full recovery, won the Ballon D'Or, and helped Busby conquer Europe. Circle of Life, etc.
Best: Cristiano Ronaldo. Definitely the best and most talented United player of my lifetime, and arguably the best and most talented ever. Came along at a crucial time, too.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Greatest: Sir Bobby.
Best: Best. Played games half cut and was still a level above everyone else. Played on terrible pitches and suffered leg breaking challenges constantly. I don’t think Ronaldo would have been as good for us if in the same conditions that Besty had to deal with. But that is for another debate entirely.

MrEleson

Greatest: Bobby Charlton
Best I've seen: Cristiano Ronaldo - which is insane as he wasn't even at his absolute zenith when playing in England which is a testament to his otherworldly ability.

Stacks

In terms of best player to have ever played for us has to be Cristiano Ronaldo as no other player has gone toe to toe with one of the GOATS of football and for so long, so he is the player of the highest level to have graced this stadium. Problem is most of it was at Real.

That said, the greatest player In the history of United can also be Cristiano Ronaldo as he has won the most FWA player of the year awards as a United player and no one else had been selected in the team of the year 4 seasons in a row so his peak was higher than anyone else (although Charlton would have if they had it in the 60s).

Due to a high peak and his longevity of performing for United Charlton nicks it.

My idol is Ronaldo. His dedication, professionalism and determination to be the best in the world superseded all our other players mentally. True role model. Practiced relentlessly, looked after himself, had the best attitude.

spiriticon

Greatest will have to be either Sir Bobby or Ronaldo.

My idol will always be King Eric.

TrustInOle

Greatest player - Sir Bobby, his achievements in football and life with United won't be beaten in my view. Embodies what United means.

My favourite - torn between Scholes and Giggs

Best I have seen - Ronaldo, without a shadow of a doubt.

Fingeredmouse

Greatest is very difficult but I'd guess Charlton is a good shout given how steeped in our mythos he is as well as his longevity and brilliance.
Personal favourite is pretty tough: One of Eric, Keane, Giggs, Rio or Ruud. Loved Andy Cole too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Cristiano Ronaldo was the best ever.

Rio Ferdinand is my ‘favourite’ ever player (I feel so childish even saying that!). He also happens to be the best defender I’ve seen in my life so he was of course pretty good too.

Champagne Football

Best I've seen Ronaldo/Cantona/Giggs

Biggest Idol - Roy Keane. During his prime i've never seen such a dominating central midfielder in any other team before.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Greatest was Sir Bobby Charlton.

Best I've seen live was Scholes.

The two players i idolised the most were Beckham and Ronaldo, but if I had to pick one it'd be Becks.

BehemothTerror

Giggs is our record appearance holder and medal holder so deserves to be in contention for our greatest player even if he's not my idol.

Beckham is my idol on the pitch and main reason I got into football even if we have had better technical or flair players

Bogdannn

The greatest Manchester United player of all time was Bobby Charlton.

The best player to play for Manchester United was either Best or Ronaldo.
Brilliant post, summing up perfectly the difference between being the best and being the greatest.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Best I’ve seen is Cristiano Ronaldo.
Greatest is probably Charlton or Best.
My favourite all time United player is probably Beckham or Cantona.

Sancho7

I'm late 30's, so it would be wrong for me to say Best/Charlton etc. So I'm going to answer this as the United greatest player I've actually seen in my lifetime and that is C.Ronaldo, but my favourite ever United player would be Eric Cantona.

He was just an icon for kids growing up in the 90's.