Who is the most underrated footballer in modern history?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Sol Campbell? People forget how great a defender he was because of his behaviour since retiring.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Sol Campbell? People forget how great a defender he was because of his behaviour since retiring.
Yeah, but when he was playing he was rated as a top 3 CB in the league. That isn't really underrated.

Yeah, Irwin was really underrated. I think if we are talking about players who are genuinely underrated it is likely to be a FB of some sort. When people mention players like Weah, Desailly, Gullit, Benzema and Henry I scratch my head a little as they were always star players for there teams or key cogs at least. Benzema has a bit of a case as during most of his time at Real it has been about CR7/Ramos etc.

I mentioned it earlier but for me Azpilicueta is one of the most underrated PL players of recent years. Seems to play all the time and gives nothing below a 7/10, yet he has barely played for Spain and is not ever in any discussions about top players yet is the model of consistency which is a really undervalued quality of any sportsman.
Irwin is the most rated underrated player of all time.

granted that has become more pronounced over the past decade - but is there anyone who doesn’t rate him? Even rival fans acknowledge what a good player he was.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Yeah, but when he was playing he was rated as a top 3 CB in the league. That isn't really underrated.
True, but now if you see people debating the greatest PL centre-backs, the conversation is always about Rio, Terry, Vidic, Kompany, Adams... I don't often hear Campbell's name being mentioned, when it absolutely should be.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, Irwin was really underrated. I think if we are talking about players who are genuinely underrated it is likely to be a FB of some sort. When people mention players like Weah, Desailly, Gullit, Benzema and Henry I scratch my head a little as they were always star players for there teams or key cogs at least. Benzema has a bit of a case as during most of his time at Real it has been about CR7/Ramos etc.

I mentioned it earlier but for me Azpilicueta is one of the most underrated PL players of recent years. Seems to play all the time and gives nothing below a 7/10, yet he has barely played for Spain and is not ever in any discussions about top players yet is the model of consistency which is a really undervalued quality of any sportsman.
Is dave not rated outside of Chelsea? Been an amazing signing for us. Hardly injured always reliable lb rb cb. Top player

Matt007a

Moussa Dembele at Spurs. When he left for China is when it all went wrong for Poch. His injury record wasn’t great but when he played he was head and shoulders above everyone else in midfield. Impossible to dispossess, skilful and powerful with a good eye for a pass. Probably forgotten because he didn’t assist or score enough.

Every time Soccer AM had a spurs player on to ask about the team, they always picked him as the best at Spurs above Harry Kane.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
True, but now if you see people debating the greatest PL centre-backs, the conversation is always about Rio, Terry, Vidic, Kompany, Adams... I don't often hear Campbell's name being mentioned, when it absolutely should be.
Not sure he is though. The thing that separates those players is their leadership skills. I think Vidic is not quite at the level of Rio, Terry, Kompany and Adams, so you could argue Campbell is in that Tier 1b category of you place the other four in Tier 1A (if that makes sense?)

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Is dave not rated outside of Chelsea? Been an amazing signing for us. Hardly injured always reliable lb rb cb. Top player
Maybe it is more of my own circle but I don't normally even hear Chelsea fans talk about him much.

mshnsh

the issue is that you didn’t recognise he played in ENGLAND at all. I noted it was when he became a journeyman.

Most people would rate Henry as a better player, and I’m certainly in that camp. Doesn’t mean I think he’s an average player.
Anyway I rate Henry very highly but I think Etoo was just as good if not slightly better but is not as much praised.

Dark Side of the Moon

Supports
Celtic
Andrea Barzagli -

Absolutely no one mentions him but for me he’s right up there with the best in many years. Exceptional reader of the game, so calm and composed. Amazing timing in the challenge, comfortable on the ball.

Won countless Serie A titles, the Bundesliga, the World Cup, but gets almost no credit as he was part of the back 3 including Bonucci and Chiellini. Yes, Bonucci was better technically and Chiellini was more of a warrior, but Barzagli was the most complete.

Roberto Ayala -

Part of an amazing Valencia side, an incredible leader, read the game very well, and pound for pound one of the best of all time in the air for his size.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Most recent, Moussa Dembele when at Spurs.

Bergkamp10

Supports
Arsenal
Cazorla is a great shout I think? Don’t think I’ve ever seen a more two footed player. Was unlucky I guess he was in the Xavi/ Iniesta generation for Spain but I would say along with maybe Sanchez, he was Arsenal’s best player of the past decade.

Which might not be saying a lot to be fair.