Who is the most underrated footballer in modern history?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
By whom?
By many metrics

Sadly football fans, pundits and certain sections of the media.
Davids is widely recognized as one of the best defensive midfielders of his time.. Desailly is widely recognized as a massive force for France and Milan. Thuram is widely recognized as one of the best defenders for France in their golden years.

Weah I havent seen enough of to make a judgement...

Eto'o I think I agree.. Seedorf I definitely agree..

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Henry only had 1 season where he made 30 goals + 20 assists. And Henry wouldn't be the best player in the world if he was up against Messi & Cristiano.

An aging Benzema (after CR7 left) scores around 30 goals + 10 assists without taking free-kicks and rarely penalties to inflate his goal-tally. What's also important to remember is that Benzema's supporting cast overall is miles behind "The Invincibles". Benzema don't have a forward teammate who can regulary provide 10+ goals in all comps. Meanwhile, Henry had Ljungberg/Wiltord/Bergkamp/Pires deliver 10+ goals every year.

It makes you wonder how good Benzema truely could've been in his 20s if he wasn't a side-kick to CR7...

Benzema is just as good as Prime Henry, if not better.
Henry's 20 assists was in the league alone, it was more in all comps. The only other players in Europe who have done 20 assists in a league season are Messi and Xavi, that's a pretty exclusive group. CR7 hasn't done 20 assists in a season

The most league assists Benzema has when passing to CR7 is 11. Henry has 74 assists in 258 PL appearances an assist every 3.48 games. Benzema has 113 assists in his last 494 games. An assist every 4.37 games despite passing to CR7 the most prolific goalscorer of this generation. Surely you jest that Ljungberg/Wiltord/Bergkamp/Pires are more prolific

Henry's individual goals and dribbling are far more impressive than Benzemas too. Benzema isn't fit to lace Henry's boots

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Davids is widely recognized as one of the best defensive midfielders of his time.. Desailly is widely recognized as a massive force for France and Milan. Thuram is widely recognized as one of the best defenders for France in their golden years.

Weah won the Balon D'Or in 95 and placed second in fifa world player the year after. Many people praise him for his world cup efforts too, so I don't know if he's underrated...

Blackwidow

Henry's 20 assists was in the league alone, it was more in all comps. The only other players in Europe who have done 20 assists in a league season are Messi and Xavi, that's a pretty exclusive group. CR7 hasn't done 20 assists in a season

The most league assists Benzema has when passing to CR7 is 11. Henry has 74 assists in 258 PL appearances an assist every 3.48 games. Benzema has 113 assists in his last 494 games. An assist every 4.37 games despite passing to CR7 the most prolific goalscorer of this generation. Surely you jest that Ljungberg/Wiltord/Bergkamp/Pires are more prolific

Henry's individual goals and dribbling are far more impressive than Benzemas too. Benzema isn't fit to lace Henry's boots
Why do you compare assist numbers - Benzema's job was to work the defenders in a way so that CR7 could shine - and that he did greatly. You compare different players and different tasks. Benzema's role today has changed - he is not the sidekick anymore but the one that runs the show. But he really was a great sidekick...

Weah was recognised as one of, if not the best striker in the world. He was brilliant for Milan.

Luke1995

Gareth Barry played quite alot of premier league games (A lot, really) and won more than 50 England caps despite strong midfield competition in his time.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Definitely not Benzema. He was a bit of a donkey in front of goal for a fe years but great at bringing others into the game and was rated exactly like this.

He’s always scored a few and the last couple of years he’s scored a few more as he has more responsibility to score now, and certain social media accounts are manipulating people into thinking he’s always been some kind of R9 type striker.

As often happens, he’s currently overrated.
Benzema is the 5th top scorer in the history of Real Madrid, with a better goal ratio than Raul,Gentro, and Butragueño.Only Cristiano, Di Estefano, Puskas, and Hugo Sánchez have a better goal ratio than him.
In Champions League he is the 4th top scorer of all time ahead of Henry,Shevchenko, and Zlatan...

All of that playing along Cristiano, a machine that always absorbs more than 80% of the goals of his team.

Yeah, totally underrated, and easily one of the best of his generation.

To me it's the opposite, people tend to overrate the past because of pure nostalgia...for example R9 performances at CL with RM were most of the time underwhelming, which is why he used to be heavy criticized(also for being overweight), considering how much money RM spent for him.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Benzema is the 5th top scorer in the history of Real Madrid, with a better goal ratio than Raul,Gentro, and Butragueño.Only Cristiano, Di Estefano, Puskas, and Hugo Sánchez have a better goal ratio than him.
In Champions League he is the 4th top scorer of all time ahead of Henry,Shevchenko, and Zlatan...

All of that playing along Cristiano, a machine that always absorbs more than 80% of the goals of his team.

Yeah, totally underrated, and easily one of the best of his generation.

To me it's the opposite, people tend to overrate the past because of pure nostalgia...for example R9 performances at CL with RM were most of the time underwhelming, which is why he used to be heavy criticized(also for being overweight), considering how much money RM spent for him.
I didn’t say he was bad. I just don’t think he’s underrated. You make some good points though and I totally agree about the nostalgia thing.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I didn’t say he was bad. I just don’t think he’s underrated. You make some good points though and I totally agree about the nostalgia thing.
You said Benzema was litterary bad as a goalscorer....

A player can't be overrated if there's no hype. Which was the case for Benzema thoroughout his entire RM-career with Cristiano on the team.

432JuanMata

Benzema is only getting rated these days he was certainly underrated when Ronaldo was there. He was like Firmino with goals but he sacrificed himself for others. I think he has underrated

tjb

Valeron, Rui Costa, Rai, Djalminha
Proof that only playing for the deportivo, Valencia, Napoli, Florentino, spurs and evertons only take you so far memory wise. At the end of the day, its the big clubs and national teams the attract fan attention not just a players skill.

Jezpeza

Mauro icardi has a pretty insane scoring record in the italian and french leagues, which although not the best arent exactly the comference either but not that many talk about him

Spaghetti

Mom's
You said Benzema was litterary bad as a goalscorer....

A player can't be overrated if there's no hype. Which was the case for Benzema thoroughout his entire RM-career with Cristiano on the team.
Please can you point out where I “literally said he was a bad goal scorer”? He was a bit of a donkey in front of goal, but that doesn’t mean he was a bad scorer. Lukaku is as big a donkey as they come, but one of the most prolific at the same time.

Maybe in England and Germany he didn’t get any hype, but that’s not the same here (Spain). Here, he’s always been correctly rated as a good striker.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Here, he’s always been correctly rated as a good striker.
I think he is a bit overrated, or at least overrated by Florentino and the board by making the team completely reliant on him. He's very good but it has hurt us to depend solely in him to score most of our goals and he has also benefited of not having much competition in his position as a starter.

EvilChuck

I always felt Guti was underrated. Played in the Galacticos Madrid side but never looked out of place alongside the likes of Raul, Zidane, Figo etc but is rarely mentioned

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Please can you point out where I “literally said he was a bad goal scorer”? He was a bit of a donkey in front of goal, but that doesn’t mean he was a bad scorer. Lukaku is as big a donkey as they come, but one of the most prolific at the same time.

Maybe in England and Germany he didn’t get any hype, but that’s not the same here (Spain). Here, he’s always been correctly rated as a good striker.
You said Benzema always scored few goals despite he has multiple 20+ goals seasons...

Benzema is LaLiga's second best player and could potentially win Ballon d'Or depending if Real Madrid wins titles. To call someone a "good striker" with 85 goals in 140 games (0.60 goals per game) in past 3 seasons is underrating him.

I think he is a bit overrated, or at least overrated by Florentino and the board by making the team completely reliant on him. He's very good but it has hurt us to depend solely in him to score most of our goals and he has also benefited of not having much competition in his position as a starter.
Real Madrid have won LaLiga last year thanks to Benzema single-handedly carrying the offense and he's the main reason why Real Madrid still have the chance winning UCL + LaLiga this season.

Benzema has consistently delivered for 3 seasons. Maybe you should focus on his underwhelming supporting cast up-front? None of them have 10+ goals in all comps.

Which other elite striker have serious competition in their position as a starter? The likes of Haaland, Suarez, Lewy, Lukaku, Harry Kane, Cristiano etc. are the best players in their teams and cannot be benched. Same goes for Benzema at Real Madrid.

manutddjw

Denis Irwin.

The epitome of consistency. An excellent player who could do everything and do them well without any flash or pomp. Every so often a thread will pop up asking for a best United XI and most people pick Evra over him which, as much as I love Evra, is wrong.

Roy Keane.

This new generation of fans see him as this thug like Vinnie Jones based of YouTube clips and forget what a brilliant player he was. You can spot them a mile away calling him a "CDM". He could create, tackle, pass the ball and then there's his leadership. Undoubtedly one of the best of that time period, who has been incorrectly labeled by people who didn't have the privilege of seeing him play.

Righteous Steps

Definitely not Benzema. He was a bit of a donkey in front of goal for a fe years but great at bringing others into the game and was rated exactly like this.

He’s always scored a few and the last couple of years he’s scored a few more as he has more responsibility to score now, and certain social media accounts are manipulating people into thinking he’s always been some kind of R9 type striker.

As often happens, he’s currently overrated.
Benzema has always been like a slower less talented R9 even in his build and gait, so good comparison actually.

Sting

Sergio Busquets!
I think he is often overshadowed by the attacking talents Barcelona have but he’s just as important as any player that’s not Messi imo. I was watching Barcelona play a few days ago and some of his passing is just incredible.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve

Interested to hear your take in this Henry vs Benzema battle in the last couple of pages.
I would say that their skillsets overlap and Henry has been better in every aspects. Henry is the best assist maker and scorer for France and it's important to remember that he has spent a fair amount of time on the left which is a place where Benzema thrived early in his career. I don't know if it's counter intuitive but Henry is a faster more dynamic version of Benzema both are very complete footballers, also Henry was a better finisher.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
RM bought Luka Jović, but we all saw that he wasn't good enough to bench Benzema

The only CF below 30y that could bench/replace Benzema now is Haaland.
Also RM is struggling with goals(despite Benzema scoring a lot) because Vinicius and Mariano don't score as much as they should.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
RM bought Luka Jović, but we all saw that he wasn't good enough to bench Benzema

The only CF below 30y that could bench/replace Benzema now is Haaland.
Also RM is struggling with goals(despite Benzema scoring a lot) because Vinicius and Mariano don't score as much as they should.
Harry Kane is 27 Mbappe is 22.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Benzema has always been like a slower less talented R9 even in his build and gait, so good comparison actually.
So he's a lesser version of R9 in the sense that he lacks everything that made R9 stand out among his peers but looks like him? ;)

mshnsh

Robben: People say he was good but in truth he was the best classic winger of his generation.

Neymar: I think its mostly due his antics that people don't like to rate him highly but in truth he is world class.

Etoo: Yes I think he was better than Henry but never gets the same acclaim. May be because he did not play in ENGLAND or due to his nationality.

Rivaldo: Was as influencial if not more when compared to Ronaldo for Brazil but never received the credit. I'd argue he was the best player for Brazil in both 1998 and 2002 world cups. I remember watching the game vs Denmark in1998 and the commentator saying he had outshone his compatriot.

Last edited:

Swedish_Plumber

Robben: People say he was good but in truth he was the best classic winger of his generation.
Neymar: I think its mostly due his antics that people don't like to rate him highly but in truth he is world class.
Yeah I get what you’re saying about his antics! He’s definitely not as good as when he was at Barca though. Tends to try too much on his own at PSG.
I don’t think he shines as much because he’s gotten used to the lack of competition in the domestic league. Similar to the problem the team as a whole tends to have in the CL. They cruise along all season then all of a sudden find themselves against a quality side and collapse.

gibers

Etoo: Yes I think he was better than Henry but never gets the same acclaim. May be because he did not play in ENGLAND or due to his nationality.

Rivaldo: Was as influencial if not more when compared to Ronaldo for Brazil but never received the credit. I'd argue he was the best player for Brazil in both 1998 and 2002 world cups. I remember watching the game vs Denmark in1998 and the commentator saying he had outshone his compatriot.
He wasn't a classic winger though...

You know he did play in England for both Chelsea and Everton?

I would suggest him becoming a journeyman striker during the latter part of his career has more to do with your perceived underrating of him than either his nationality or where he played.

I certainly don’t think he was better than Henry - but he’s recognised as one of the best strikers of his generation.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think Peter Beardsley never gets the credit he deserves as a footballer, was consistently fantastic for both club and country

criticalanalysis

I would say that their skillsets overlap and Henry has been better in every aspects. Henry is the best assist maker and scorer for France and it's important to remember that he has spent a fair amount of time on the left which is a place where Benzema thrived early in his career. I don't know if it's counter intuitive but Henry is a faster more dynamic version of Benzema both are very complete footballers, also Henry was a better finisher.
Cheers. Those would be my overall thoughts too but I can't really say for 'sure' as I've not seen as much of Benzema as I have Henry. The latter was one of few players, who I really thought 'he's out of this world'. He had attributes and consistent productivity that you just don't see bar Messi/Ronaldo.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Benzema : R9 in slow motion, I also like this comparison

Etoo - not better than Henry but underrated for different reasons
Rivaldo win the Ballon d'Or but - yes - people tend to mainly mention Ronaldo and Ronaldiho
Neymar - played in the Messi/CR7 era + injuries + disappointing world cup 2018 + playing in France

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Cheers. Those would be my overall thoughts too but I can't really say for 'sure' as I've not seen as much of Benzema as I have Henry. The latter was one of few players, who I really thought 'he's out of this world'. He had attributes and consistent productivity that you just don't see bar Messi/Ronaldo.
The Youtube video Henry vs Italy (Euro 2000) has been removed :(

He was incredible, so powerful and fast that he made fun of players like Nesta and Cannavaro.

mshnsh

You know he did play in England for both Chelsea and Everton?

I would suggest him becoming a journeyman striker during the latter part of his career has more to do with your perceived underrating of him than either his nationality or where he played.

I certainly don’t think he was better than Henry - but he’s recognised as one of the best strikers of his generation.
He played in England when he was past it.

I think he was a better big game player than Henry eg the champions league finals and was just as consistent and dangerous in all other games.

He played in England when he was past it.

I think he was a better big game player than Henry eg the champions league finals and was just as consistent and dangerous in all other games.
the issue is that you didn’t recognise he played in ENGLAND at all. I noted it was when he became a journeyman.

Most people would rate Henry as a better player, and I’m certainly in that camp. Doesn’t mean I think he’s an average player.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Denis Irwin.

The epitome of consistency. An excellent player who could do everything and do them well without any flash or pomp. Every so often a thread will pop up asking for a best United XI and most people pick Evra over him which, as much as I love Evra, is wrong.

Roy Keane.

This new generation of fans see him as this thug like Vinnie Jones based of YouTube clips and forget what a brilliant player he was. You can spot them a mile away calling him a "CDM". He could create, tackle, pass the ball and then there's his leadership. Undoubtedly one of the best of that time period, who has been incorrectly labeled by people who didn't have the privilege of seeing him play.
Yeah, Irwin was really underrated. I think if we are talking about players who are genuinely underrated it is likely to be a FB of some sort. When people mention players like Weah, Desailly, Gullit, Benzema and Henry I scratch my head a little as they were always star players for there teams or key cogs at least. Benzema has a bit of a case as during most of his time at Real it has been about CR7/Ramos etc.

I mentioned it earlier but for me Azpilicueta is one of the most underrated PL players of recent years. Seems to play all the time and gives nothing below a 7/10, yet he has barely played for Spain and is not ever in any discussions about top players yet is the model of consistency which is a really undervalued quality of any sportsman.