Who played the best attacking football - Moyes, LVG or Mourinho?

el3mel

Don't be silly. I mentioned top 6 sides. Spurs finished above Liverpool that season. I mentioned Everton because even though we have a great record against them in general they have always been a tough nut to crack at Goodison park and in recent seasons before our 0-3 win they beat us quite a few times. You wont be swayed because you've made your mind up about LVG anyway despite him getting better results against the top teams and playing more attacking football against them in the bigger wins. No point debating it
Anyone who remembers this 2014/2015 season knows that Liverpool were the one challenging us for 4th spot and when we went to Anfield they were behind us by one or 2 points and if they had won they would have jumped to 4th. They just collapsed by the end of the season after this game. It's like saying Arsenal were better than Spurs in 2015/2016 because they finished ahead of them while Spurs were second for the whole season and collapsed after they lost the title. I got it now you don't remember this season at all so there's no point in completing this debate any farther.

The Midnight Rambler

For all his (often justified) criticism, at least there was a coherent plan behind LVG's approach. The same cannot be said for Jose. As evidenced by Hazard's quotes, he doesn't coach attacking patterns but rather lets players figure out for themselves.

Which can be viewed as good because it's tougher for opposition teams to predict.

But carries a negative as our players have consistently shown themselves incapable of improvising. How many games have we watched this season with the same pattern? Press the opponents back to 20 yards then slowly recycle the ball around their D with no real idea or movement of how to get through until we eventually lose the ball through an off target shot or getting turned over?

Rather than actually moving the ball quickly enough before the defending team gets settled.

So with that being said, I will say the best attacking football since Sir Ferg left was under LVG away at Anfield.

Jose started this season very well in games with less pressure until he over thought the Anfield fixture and played for a clean sheet which marked a turning point in how much vibrancy we played with.

As for Looney Tunes Moyes. Hell. I don't own enough booze to bleach that season from memory. And Giggsy doesn't count. He's a clown.

Loublaze

ATLien
Anyone who remembers this 2014/2015 season knows that Liverpool were the one challenging us for 4th spot and when we went to Anfield they were behind us by one or 2 points and if they had won they would have jumped to 4th. They just collapsed by the end of the season after this game. It's like saying Arsenal were better than Spurs in 2015/2016 because they finished ahead of them while Spurs were second for the whole season and collapsed after they lost the title. I got it now you don't remember this season at all so there's no point in completing this debate any farther.
Yes, there's not point at all because you're obviously a 'know-it-all' who doesn't seem to know much. Good day

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Back when LvG was playing a diamond with Di Maria, Falcao, Rooney, RvP, Herrera in the same lineup. Thought we had a manager that was ready to attack at all costs but boy was I wrong.

The answer is Mourinho.

Ashley R1+O

It is Mourinho, then clear daylight to Moyes and then clear daylight to LVG. This current team doesn't even have actual fullbacks and a right winger. Will get better going forward and I think that is more than obvious.

Josep Dowling

Hated Moyes before he even started.

Hated LVG by the January of his second season.

The last month has been a drag but the season ended when we lost to Sevilla. Players are already in holiday mode. I don’t mind Jose but next season if we don’t win anything and play football like we have since Christmas I can’t see the board accepting it again.

Wanderlust_09

The only two months I enjoyed watching Man Utd since Fergie left were:
1. The Spring of 2015 when we had a PL streak of 6 wins where we defeated(thrashed) Liverpool, Spurs and Man City. During this time, we played great football, with Valenica-Herrera and Mata forming triangles on the right flank and Blind-Young and Fellaini on the left flank.
This still remains the most memorable streak by a huge margin for me since Fergie left: not the drab Europa league victory.

2. The first 3-4 games this season when we where beating teams 4-0.

Mine may not be the most popular opinion here, but I feel when we played attacking football (I repeat when we played attacking football) under LVG, it was indeed great to watch.
I also feel some members have been too critical of LVG's second term. We started pretty decently, but by October, we started losing first team players one after the other and hence LVG shifted to a very conservative safety first approach, which ultimately lead to our season collapsing around December.

LVG has at least tried different formations and players. Remember our 3-5 loss to Leicester where we played an attacking diamond formation? This made us defensively so vulnerable that we could not defend a 2 goal lead and ultimately lost the game.

Reactions: Sultan

Bojan11

Mourinho has never produced anything like Juanfield or the 4-2 demolition job of City or 3-0 Spurs win. LVG at his peak produced much better football but he never did it to that high level again. Mourinho has stabilized results but the football imo has not improved at all. Maybe very slightly but at the end of the day we still play like Moyes era where if all fails then hoof it into the box and see what happens.
To be fair LVG was up against Brenton and Pellegrinni. Big difference when they have Klopp and Pep now.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Back when LvG was playing a diamond with Di Maria, Falcao, Rooney, RvP, Herrera in the same lineup. Thought we had a manager that was ready to attack at all costs but boy was I wrong.

The answer is Mourinho.
I remember a few games where we played Blind as the DM, with di María, Januzaj and Rooney ahead in a diamond, and RvP & Falcao up top a few times. It wasn't great but I liked the idea. I thought di María and Januzaj linked-up well at times.
Moyes attacking football?

What?
It attacked my soul

ravi2

Is this another one of those threads where we compare Mourinho to crap managers and then make him the winner

Literally any other brand of football is better than what were subjected to under moyes and LVG.
Those two set the bar very very low

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Total selective memory. When we scored under LVG it was often a miracle.

Didn’t we go on some mental run of not scoring in the first half of games at home for half the season?
It was still dull as feck under LVG, but that wasn't the question.

It was of course very boring under Van Gaal, but it was at least possession based. I'd much rather than the safety first approach from Jose. Also worth remembering that Jose has better players under his stewardship.

Donnie Brasco

Some of you actually deserved LVG... The same people that constantly attacks Jose and hate him, defended this man and continue to say that he somehow did a better job.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Under Lvg our chances created, shots on goal and actual goal total was going down year on year

I’m going to buck the trend and say I enjoyed watching football more under Moyes (even though you know he’s a clown)

Acole9

Outstanding
4-0 FC at the start of the season. Moyes to his credit did play attacking football at times when we need to beat Olympiakos notably.

Nikelesh Reddy

4-0 FC at the start of the season. Moyes to his credit did play attacking football at times when we need to beat Olympiakos notably.
Honestly don't think he had any philosophy at all...I think the players occasionally played how they were used to playing under SAF,but don't think he really wanted to play an attacking brand of football...

Acole9

Outstanding
Honestly don't think he had any philosophy at all...I think the players occasionally played how they were used to playing under SAF,but don't think he really wanted to play an attacking brand of football...
That's probably the case, it was clear to see a lot of the squad were undermining him. I noticed in the post match interview when we played West Ham the other night the interviewer asked him "Are you happy with the draw?" He was beaming, had the exact same mentality with us and when he was at Everton.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I actually think we played our best football under Jose last season. Some of the draws were very good to watch. I remember telling people that although we weren't winning games we were playing great. This season though :(. I actually wonder whether Jose knew he'd have to come in and play attacking football to appease fans post LVG....before reverting to type this season.

Nikelesh Reddy

That's probably the case, it was clear to see a lot of the squad were undermining him. I noticed in the post match interview when we played West Ham the other night the interviewer asked him "Are you happy with the draw?" He was beaming, had the exact same mentality with us and when he was at Everton.
True....The squad had every right to undermine him,he had no business taking over a club like United.I think the lads actually did us a favour by throwing in the towel and finishing 7th,had the lads given their 100 percent for him and finished 4th he would have got a 2nd season....

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Thought we actually played some pretty decent football at times last season, we just struggled with converting chances. We played some good stuff early on this season too, in my opinion, but we lost a lot of steam after the Pogba injury.

No contest for me that Mourinho's played the best football out of the three, that December under LvG in his second season was one of the worst months of football we've had in years. That said I do remember us playing some good stuff in LvG's first season towards the end of it.

Lentwood

I agree with you, and will probably be call deluded. His philosophy very much relies on "the right players in the right positions" as you say. I liked how he knew exactly what he wanted out of a player in each position. This could stifle creativity, but he also needed a couple of highly creative, attacking players who could open up the defenses, which we largely lacked. All his players needed to be technical too, but that was near impossible with our squad. His defensive record was quite impressive though. At least that part of his philosophy was figured out.

LVG was also very much a manager who largely expected other teams to change their tactics to play against his teams, much like Guardiola teams.; Mourinho is the complete opposite. I prefer the former with some flexibility. LVG was proactive, Mourinho is far too reactive. For a club like ours the reactive approach is embarrassing.

I think LVG needed years to properly implement his philosphy with a quite a few transfer windows, and we all ran out of patience - me included. In the long run I do believe we would have been better off, but the short-term was too much to take. Going from LVG to Guardiola would have worked very nicely.
Yeah I agree tbh, we (myself included) make excuses for Jose’s football by pointing to lack of quality in the squad but Jose has far more to work with than Van Gaal did.

The problem ultimately with van Gaal though was his signings. Di Maria and Falcao where not really the right profile. They clearly didn’t really want to be in England. Most of the remainder where just painfully average. Depay, Blind, Schneiderlin and Darmian are the kind of signings I would expect a team like Everton to make.