Who potentially replaces Ronaldo?

Primex

Felix, oshimen , vlahovic and Martinez are the only strikers worth going for

UnitedFire

Bruno will be played as a false 9 and will likely rotate with Rashford. I just don’t see enough room in the budget for a striker.
You don't see enough room in the budget for a striker, but you said my thread was the worst in the year for asking if we would use the FDJ cash for a striker instead.

I mean really? If you think Bruno as a false 9 and Rashford is much better then sticking with McFred and getting a proper striker then you should be voted the worst poster of 2022!

Giggsy13

You don't see enough room in the budget for a striker, but you said my thread was the worst in the year for asking if we would use the FDJ cash for a striker instead.

I mean really? If you think Bruno as a false 9 and Rashford is much better then sticking with McFred and getting a proper striker then you should be voted the worst poster of 2022!
Second worst by a mile behind you. :lol:

Elcabron

It shouldn't be hard to find a striker who scores only 18 league goals per season, but works harder than Ronaldo and wants only a fraction of his £500k per week.
Agree. Also Ronaldo leaving would make it easier for ETH to have that total control of the dressing room that is so badly needed. Fergie always said, no player is bigger than the club, well Ronaldo is at this stage. Funny how Fergie was instrumental in bringing him back and ignoring how big Ronaldo had become....one example being that Ronaldo has more IG followers than every club in the PL combined.

Drizzle

Good player, but again - who is reliably scoring the goals? We'd be relying on Rashford and Martial to get 30-40 goals between them and that is insane for a club with top 4 ambitions.

UnitedFire

Second worst by a mile behind you. :lol:
Having looked at your previous post I think you just missed the point....!

I wasn't suggesting FDJ isn't coming if Ronaldo goes, because he wouldn't want to, though if he was already not too convinced it certainly wouldn't help.

What I was suggesting is the limited budget means a Glazer Board is far more likely to pick a shiny striker for £80m than a functional midfielder. They wouldn't do the smart thing and get both.

UnitedFire

Good player, but again - who is reliably scoring the goals? We'd be relying on Rashford and Martial to get 30-40 goals between them and that is insane for a club with top 4 ambitions.
We aren't getting top 4 with Rashford, Elanga or Martial being relied on.

We'd be far better off taking a chance on Garnacho, McNeil and Hugill who between them have all shown the ability to regularly score in recent times, albeit a monumental ask for them to step up, but if you are good enough you are old enough. Plenty of stars in the past made it at their age.

I'm really not confident in Rashford's return since injuries. Martial has 9 goals in the last 2 seasons. Elanga is physically there, but I've not seen the cutting edge for him to be the main guy. Far more of a ball carrier on the wing.

laughtersassassin

Talk is we will buy Antony if Ronaldo goes.

How the feck does that make any sense.

We already have to buy an extra attacker. Ronaldo leaves and your gonna replace our only striker with a winger with poor numbers?

Ronaldo goes we need two attackers of very good quality. No ifs no buts no excuses.

avgp_1

Has to be someone cheap. Let's get Jovic on loan maybe. Surely Real would let us have him.

If not then Dybala perhaps?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Talk is we will buy Antony if Ronaldo goes.

How the feck does that make any sense.

We already have to buy an extra attacker. Ronaldo leaves and your gonna replace our only striker with a winger with poor numbers?

Ronaldo goes we need two attackers of very good quality. No ifs no buts no excuses.
So is the plan to have Sancho, who has it all to do, Rashford, who has had two poor seasons, feeding a winger, who is not only coming into the league and will need to adjust, but play him as a striker?!

Or will Bruno be one of the wide attackers?

if Ten Hag gets any of this working he'll be a genius!

UnitedFire

Could we try to hijack the Lewandowski deal?

€40m offer by Barca, €60m wanted by Bayern. That would be a relatively cheap fix for a world class striker, but does just delay a replacement for 2-3 years and would be no return on that cash.

Personally I'd say this is completely pointless, but wouldn't be unlike Man Utd.

Drizzle

We'd be far better off taking a chance on Garnacho, McNeil and Hugill who between them have all shown the ability to regularly score in recent times
McNeil and Hugill are years off being able to be effective at the top end of the Premier League, assuming they ever will be. Would be insane to throw them in next season! Garnacho is a wide forward mainly, and even he needs to be transitioned into the team very carefully over the next season or do.

'Taking a chance' on those 3 would be a disaster for United and a disaster for their careers probably.

UnitedFire

So is the plan to have Sancho, who has it all to do, Rashford, who has had two poor seasons, feeding a winger, who is not only coming into the league and will need to adjust, but play him as a striker?!

Or will Bruno be one of the wide attackers?

if Ten Hag gets any of this working he'll be a genius!
Garnacho, Hugill and McNeil who are proper high quality young strikers will surely be better than any other combination of nonsense being spurted on here.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Garnacho, Hugill and McNeil who are proper high quality young strikers will surely be better than any other combination of nonsense being spurted on here.
I really don't want to know if McNeil is some youth teamer I've never heard of, or that Burnley guy we shipped off years ago.

It's already been a bleak day :lol:

UnitedFire

McNeil and Hugill are years off being able to be effective at the top end of the Premier League, assuming they ever will be. Would be insane to throw them in next season! Garnacho is a wide forward mainly, and even he needs to be transitioned into the team very carefully over the next season or do.

'Taking a chance' on those 3 would be a disaster for United and a disaster for their careers probably.
I agree McNeil and Hugill look a little light weight and not ready yet, but I'd have more faith in them than Rashford, Martial or Elanga.

Garnacho looks pretty close to ready for me and I think could be the striker. He has a lethal powerful finish, is very dynamic and well rounded. He is is physically close.

If you had a choice Nkunku or FDJ who would you pick? Assuming that means working out something with what we have for midfield or attack.

It's a tough decision to weigh up. McFred are shite, but arguably less shite than Rashford or Martial up front. But I'd still want to make FDJ happen at all costs so that would leave me wanting to take a risk on a lot of minutes for the youth.

UnitedFire

I really don't want to know if McNeil is some youth teamer I've never heard of, or that Burnley guy we shipped off years ago.

It's already been a bleak day :lol:
Charlie McNeil, read up about him. Got 5 goals in run to FA youth Cup as did Garnacho. Both hugely talented.

Next biggest things since Macheda, Wilson, Rossi and Brady who all absolutely smashed it :wenger: :wenger: :wenger: :houllier::houllier::houllier::lol:

Last edited:

Mcking

Don't fancy the Victor Osimhen shouts at all. How does he even have the reputation he currently does? I'd rather we pick up Belotti for free or go for a cheapie than spend big for a striker who is never going to be good enough.

The Bruno false 9 shouts makes me sick as well. The idea of him starting the majority of games at AM next season is already nauseating as it is, and sticking him upfront is even worse. The feck he doesn't even have a game close to being good enough for that role. What have you all been watching?

AdNani

Charlie McNeil, read up about him. Got 5 goals in run to FA youth Cup as did Garnacho. Both hugely talented.

Next biggest things since...Macheda, Rossi, Brandy.... :wenger::houllier:
to be fair he was class. Injuries ruined him

Giggsy13

Having looked at your previous post I think you just missed the point....!

I wasn't suggesting FDJ isn't coming if Ronaldo goes, because he wouldn't want to, though if he was already not too convinced it certainly wouldn't help.

What I was suggesting is the limited budget means a Glazer Board is far more likely to pick a shiny striker for £80m than a functional midfielder. They wouldn't do the smart thing and get both.
If we want to take the scatter gun approach of the past then sure let’s abandon all efforts we’ve made to sign de Jong who has been identified by our new manager as his top target and panic because Ronaldo wants out. The point of hiring ten Hag over someone like Conte was to build long term and sustained success, which means some big personalities would leave.

We have to believe in ten Hag’s managerial ability and it leading to players like Sancho, Bruno and Rashford rediscovering their form. And yes Bruno as a false 9 does make sense considering VDB will be returning and we might be signing Eriksen. He was our best finisher 2 years ago and there’s no reason he can’t find that form again that could put him on pace for 20 to 25 goals next season.

AdNani

Yeah didn't do anything for us though.

Wilson is the stand out player who i expected big things and he didn't amount to much at all.
That was more to do with who was ahead of him at the time i think.

are we talking Strikers or just academy players in General? Never really saw it with Wilson, Ravel Morrison stood out more than any player id ever seen. more than Greenwood. but even in terms of Strikers alone id of had Will Keane and Greenwood well above Wilson

Boneli

I bet if Woodward was still here we would end up replacing him by being the mugs who took Griezmann off Atletico’s hands now that they need to offload his wages to register their new signings.

Red Rash

Could we try to hijack the Lewandowski deal?

€40m offer by Barca, €60m wanted by Bayern. That would be a relatively cheap fix for a world class striker, but does just delay a replacement for 2-3 years and would be no return on that cash.

Personally I'd say this is completely pointless, but wouldn't be unlike Man Utd.
I like Lewandowski and he is obviously a magnificent player but paying €50-60 million and huge wages for a player that will be 34 at the start of the season makes no sense.

We really need to look for strikers who are in the 21 - 28 years old age bracket and can be a United player for 5-10 years otherwise we will always be looking for short term fixes to our problems.

UnitedFire

That was more to do with who was ahead of him at the time i think.

are we talking Strikers or just academy players in General? Never really saw it with Wilson, Ravel Morrison stood out more than any player id ever seen. more than Greenwood. but even in terms of Strikers alone id of had Will Keane and Greenwood well above Wilson
Morrison was ultra exciting and a real shame he was such a know.

Keane looked steady and Greenwood I've always liked (until recent news!), but Wilson was pulling out some youth scoring records if I remember rightly and was highly rated.

There are certainly plenty of articles bigging up his potential.

UnitedFire

I like Lewandowski and he is obviously a magnificent player but paying €50-60 million and huge wages for a player that will be 34 at the start of the season makes no sense.

We really need to look for strikers who are in the 21 - 28 years old age bracket and can be a United player for 5-10 years otherwise we will always be looking for short term fixes to our problems.
I agree with you. We have a history of going for older experienced strikers which doesn't seem the best long term choice.

I can think of 5 in the last few years..
Van Persie...won us a title, but then 2 more average years to follow.
Falcao...pointless
Zlatan...fantastic
Cavani...decent for one season
Ronaldo...decent for one season.

Martial was our younger option and he hasn't worked out apart from one season.

Then we have blended Greenwood and Rashford as youth options and now Elanga, which has had mixed results.

Just scanning through these is Rashford the only striker in the last 10 years to get over 20 goals in consecutive seasons...if so that's shockingly bad

Edit...yep
https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...-since-2009-cristiano-ronaldo-premier-league/

OleGunnar20

God knows. I think Bruno as a false 9 (ala Tadic) with DVB playing off him as a support striker / attacking midfielder type might be an option, as I can't see our budget stretching to the level of striker we need. Seems to be slim pickings in the #9 market at the mo.

UnitedFire

God knows. I think Bruno as a false 9 (ala Tadic) with DVB playing off him as a support striker / attacking midfielder type might be an option, as I can't see our budget stretching to the level of striker we need. Seems to be slim pickings in the #9 market at the mo.
This would be truly awful.

OleGunnar20

Chances are you're right, 9/10 players will never be good enough for us, and fewer still at that age.

But you'd have said the same about Rashford before he was dropped in at the deep end. Nothing in football is black and white.