Who should be loaned and who should be used in the first team squad?

TheReligion

Abusive
Interested to see what opinions we have here as I know each player is at different stages of development irrespective of age. Then you also have players who don't need a loan and can come straight in and stay within the first team (Rashford, Greenwood, Mctominay etc).

So with our current batch of talent who do you feel needs a loan, more time in the reserves or promotion and games in the first team next season?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Loaned out: Pogba, Matic, De Gea, Lindelöf, Cavani

First team squad: Garner, Mejbri, Fish, Shoretire, Diallo

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
First Team:
James Garner
Amad Diallo (Reassess Loan in Jan)
Hannibal Mejbri (Reassess Loan in Jan)
Anthony Elanga (Reassess Loan in Jan)

U23:
Shola Shoretire
Joe Hugill (Reassess in Jan, promote Charlie McNeil to U23 if loaned)
Will Fish

Loan:
Ethan Laird
Teden Mengi
Facundo Pellistri
Ethan Galbraith
Dylan Levitt
Axel Tuanzebe (If we sign a first-team CB)
Brandon Williams (If we sign a first-team RB)

Sell:
Andreas Pereira
Diogo Dalot

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
First Team:
James Garner

U23:
Shola Shoretire
Will Fish

Loan:
Ethan Laird
Teden Mengi
Facundo Pellistri
Ethan Galbraith
Dylan Levitt

Sell:
Andreas Pereira
Diogo Dalot
agree with this but I'd send Garner on loan as well

Tallis

It's a good thread that will have some activity soon enough, I just wanted to be humorous, but probably missed the mark :(
I chuckled at Cavani being loaned out. DDG being loaned out is not as crazy as it may seem.

Tallis

First Team:
James Garner

U23:
Shola Shoretire
Will Fish

Loan:
Ethan Laird
Teden Mengi
Facundo Pellistri
Ethan Galbraith
Dylan Levitt

Sell:
Andreas Pereira
Diogo Dalot
Good post. The only couple of things I may change is that I would loan out Elanga (James, Martial, Rash ahead of him). Would also loan out Garner.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Good post. The only couple of things I may change is that I would loan out Elanga (James, Martial, Rash ahead of him). Would also loan out Garner.
Yeah fair points, I just feel with Rashford probably out for the first 2/3 months, if ever there is a time for Elanga to get any game time it would be now in his absence and for the early cup stages, coming from the bench or if there are further injuries, we should be extremely strong for the second half of the season. He managed a goal against Wolves, so he's not miles away from the level. As for Garner, I just think as things stand we are very light for a 2 man midfield, and there's real uncertainty around Pogba. Should we sign a CM, I'd be very comfortable for him to go on loan but with McTominay and Fred as the only ones that seem physically able and committed to the club, I don't think we're that solid.

Sea-Cow

First Team:
James Garner

U23:
Shola Shoretire
Will Fish

Loan:
Ethan Laird
Teden Mengi
Facundo Pellistri
Ethan Galbraith
Dylan Levitt

Sell:
Andreas Pereira
Diogo Dalot
As others have said I think Brandon Williams and Axel should both look to find new opportunities, for the sake of their careers.

I also think Garner should look for either a season long loan.

KevinJoh

Not sure: Garner (depending on who will we sign)

Loan: Elanga, Mengi (Championship), Bernard (League One or Championship), Pellistri (club like Brugge), Williams (if we sign FB like Trippier, than Premier League club), Laird (what is going on with him, if fit Championship), Levitt (not sure where), Galbraith (League One), Fish (Conference - done)

Stay + U23: Shoretire - U23 football as a regular and around first team for training

Not sure about Mejbri. Looks like he can play senior football, but not sure Championship is for him, and would not want him to leave country. Some feeling that he will grow up enough to be ready for a chance in the first team, so I am more for being around first team, playing in Cups and a little bit of U23.

U23: Hugill

Rojofiam

Loaned: Garner if we can get him to N. Forest or a PL club
Keep Elanga and Amad, especially the latter

Adamsk7

I think Amad, Hannibal and Elanga are talented enough to get some game time and have an impact. The rest should get loans or drop back to the U21’s for another year.

Matthew84!

All the youngsters should go out and actually play, completely useless hanging around to play 5 minutes in the league or half of a cup game,
Get them all back next season when Lingard, Mata and Matic maybe Pogba have left.

Robbo*

I think Amad, Hannibal and Elanga are talented enough to get some game time and have an impact. The rest should get loans or drop back to the U21’s for another year.
i would certainly prefer these three to be getting minutes than Pereira, James or Lingard. Same goes for Laird getting first team action ahead of Dalot and Williams.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
First Team:
Amad Diallo

U23:
Shola Shoretire
Hannibal
Joe Hugill
Will Fish

Loan:
Ethan Laird
James Garner
Anthony Elanga
Teden Mengi
Facundo Pellistri
Ethan Galbraith
Dylan Levitt

Sell:
Andreas Pereira
Diogo Dalot
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong (I know we loaned him, but he's not gonna make it here)

The most talented youngsters IMO stay with the youth until they became part of the first team. The others go on loan to either make a jump in improvement to be first team ready if they stagnated or aren't at the right level, or it's used to make them more sellable. Others where it's been tried and hasn't succeeded should be sold.

Last edited:

Green_Red

I think the decision to loan out youngsters should be based on the level that they're being loaned out to. I wouldn't want to see any of our youngsters loaned out to any level less than Championship. Then the question is are they being loaned to clubs for squad depth or first team. If it's for squad depth I'd rather see them stay here because I think they can get better experience with us being around the squad or getting a couple of run outs in the league cup etc. We loaned a few players out over the last few years who barely got a kick at the clubs they were loaned to, don't see any value for the player doing that unless it is a loan to sell type of arrangement.

oskarutd

I think a few have forgot the Papa Johns throphy.
We need promising players for that and it is meaningful games that the kids learn a lot from.

lysglimt

Scout
The only youngster I would 100% keep in-house is Elanga - I am not saying he is the most talented, but his pace and his lack of fear could make the difference. He could absolutely start some matches against weak opposition.

lysglimt

Scout
First Team:
Amad Diallo

U23:
Shola Shoretire
Hannibal
Joe Hugill
Will Fish

Loan:
Ethan Laird
James Garner
Anthony Elanga
Teden Mengi
Facundo Pellistri
Ethan Galbraith
Dylan Levitt

Sell:
Andreas Pereira
Diogo Dalot
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong (I know we loaned him, but he's not gonna make it here)

The most talented youngsters IMO stay with the youth until they became part of the first team. The others go on loan to either make a jump in improvement to be first team ready if they stagnated or aren't at the right level, or it's used to make them more sellable. Others where it's been tried and hasn't succeeded should be sold.
Fish is ready for Stockport on loan

jesperjaap

Keep in squad - Amad, Hannibal, Elanga, Shoetire, Dalot (for the one season)
Loan - Williams, Laird, Mengi, Garner, Pellestri, Chong (only because we have already, should be sold)
Sell - Tuanzabe, Lingard, Pereira

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
First Team:
James Garner

U23:
Shola Shoretire
Will Fish

Loan:
Ethan Laird
Teden Mengi
Facundo Pellistri
Ethan Galbraith
Dylan Levitt

Sell:
Andreas Pereira
Diogo Dalot
Good list and I'd add send Garner on loan if we sign a cm and sell Williams

Tallis

I may be in the minority here but I would keep Axel around. He has had decent fitness for the last 8-9 months and I think has the tools to be a very good defender. He has been lacking match fitness and confidence. I would rather sell Bailly. Besides, I don’t think we have much young talent in that part of the pitch coming through so he isn’t blocking anyone.

MUFC OK

I'm growing concerned that a large number of our hugely talented youngsters will get very little competitive first team football this season. Of the youngsters I'd keep Elanga, Amad and maybe Axel but I think the rest should be loaned to the championship.

I want to see Pellistri loaned domestically if possible - the english game is different to playing for Alaves.