Who should be United's Captain in 2020/21?

TsuWave

End of the day, it's about professionalism as a footballer not about who they are as person.
This seems rather dismissive. This isn't the 90s or anything like that. Your captain can't be out here bar brawling (not saying that's what happened). Being Manchester United captain is a great responsibility and translates to more than just what you do on the pitch or "professionalism as a footballer", whatever that is.

Lee565

Even before the Maguire incident happened I would have said bruno, the guy ticks every box.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This seems rather dismissive. This isn't the 90s or anything like that. Your captain can't be out here bar brawling (not saying that's what happened). Being Manchester United captain is a great responsibility and translates to more than just what you do on the pitch or "professionalism as a footballer", whatever that is.
It's about what you give to the club as a player not what you give to society as a person.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't know anything about that incident, so my view is not based on that at all. Bruno is the de facto captain of the team. He is the most driven player, the most composed under pressure, comes across superbly in interviews and elevates the team, and he's a winner.

Just wished we'd have signed him last summer and given him the armband before Harry. Hard to take it off Harry now (again, don't know about the incident, not too bothered either).

Web of Bissaka

Even before the incident, which we're still not fully aware of what actually happened... I'm still not sold on Maguire.

But admittedly the time of his appointment, we don't have much option. He seems to be the best and closest to wear the armband at that time in January after Young left. Seriously though... this is before Bruno and it says a lot about the squad lacking leadership if Maguire who is not even a leader is the best option we've got.
  • Pogba? no, wanted "new challenge" elsewhere prior to that time and not a player you can count on who can consistently step-up in games.
  • De Gea? no, had another shit season, not his normal standard, and have been wanting to leave unless offered a huge contracts.
  • Rashford? seriously no. People love to say he has leadership qualities... not enough yet. On pitch performances is still not consistent enough as usual. Generally useless when off form.
  • McTominay? promising but his talents and general usefulness against small teams are questionable. Maybe next best.
  • Mata? declined and... do people even respect him as a captain.
  • Matic? not a bad option all things considered. He's declining and is not a core starting player which is a problem. Out of favor with Ole too at that time.
  • Smalling? loaned out and he's not even that good as starter nor leader.
  • Lindelof? too sheepish and pretentious.

Bruno came in and seriously showed everyone how far ahead he is than the rest.

Do the players actually respect Maguire?
The incident will also affect the players trusts and respects on him, definitely even the fans. Maguire is not the type of players that win people's trusts with his performances. Admirable willingness to play and keep himself fit always though.

Then again, the captain armband is meaningless anyway but maybe Bruno could use it a lot better and making it more meaningful. Think his previous club is a good testament to that.

TsuWave

It's about what you give to the club as a player not what you give to society as a person.
:lol:

Your captain isn’t giving much to the club if he ends up detained due to reportedly “attacking” police. Especially in an era in which United’s reputation and revenue are undoubtedly tied to its image.

I feel like there’s a disconnect here somewhere.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Perfect situation for the anti Maguire posters to start shrieking.

Maguire is our captain and unless he’s done something truly heinous should remain so.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
:lol:

Your captain isn’t giving much to the club if he ends up detained due to reportedly “attacking” police. Especially in an era in which United’s reputation and revenue are undoubtedly tied to its image.

I feel like there’s a disconnect here somewhere.
Unless if Maguire being jailed for years, the image of the club won't be judged based on what players do off the pitch like Giggs or Keane. Put it this way, [Irrelevant point] murdered someone ffs and still playing for Chelsea.

End of the day human makes mistake, won't surprise me if Ole will do like Sir Alex giving the player another chance and remain as a captain. Great motivation for Maguire himself to redeem himself too.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I hate to use this word but in this case i must. De Gea deserved to be a captain and if we will change captain he is the one. It was great injustice to skip him and give it to new player. His form has nothing to do with captaincy. If he will go to bench then vice captain will took over (Pogba would be my choice for that role).

Matriac

I don't understand those who who want Bruno as a captain.

Maybe the most important role the Captain has in the modern era is he's the one person allowed to talk to the ref in heated situations. You would much rather have someone like Harry that can keep his cool (before anyone brings up Greece I'll say there's no real proof of what happened yet. And even so, at least he's sober on the field.)

Bruno is passionate, yeah we like that, but you don't need the armband to show passion to your teammates. He is much better off getting worked up a few feet away from where the ref is talking to Harry and and the oppo captain. Trying to influence the situation while Harry plays the church-boy as the ref wants.

So yeah, Harry Maguire is our Captain, and the best choice at the club now and in the foreseeable future.

JB7

Maguire is our captain and will remain so. Rightly.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't understand those who who want Bruno as a captain.

Maybe the most important role the Captain has in the modern era is he's the one person allowed to talk to the ref in heated situations. You would much rather have someone like Harry that can keep his cool (before anyone brings up Greece I'll say there's no real proof of what happened yet. And even so, at least he's sober on the field.)

Bruno is passionate, yeah we like that, but you don't need the armband to show passion to your teammates. He is much better off getting worked up a few feet away from where the ref is talking to Harry and and the oppo captain. Trying to influence the situation while Harry plays the church-boy as the ref wants.

So yeah, Harry Maguire is our Captain, and the best choice at the club now and in the foreseeable future.
Erm: can you give me an example of when one of our players wasn't sober while playing? :eek:

Matriac

Erm: can you give me an example of when one of our players wasn't sober while playing? :eek:
It was meant as a double safeguard for me against Maguire-haters re: his Greece situation. I do believe he'll walk without charges. That they like rounding up tourists for a shakedown but now kinda stressing that they caught a bigger fish than intended.
But if it turns out that Maguire is at least partially at fault for what happened it did happen while intoxicated. (If so, wakeup call for him.) And he isn't that on the field, so not to worry, cause he has always kept his cool on the field any time we have seen him.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't think Maguire could have done anything that big in Greece, to actually be stripped of captaincy.

So, I guess Maguire. Bruno is the team's leader though.

MoskvaRed

It’s often better to have a (relatively) high-profile England player as captain so you can influence the PL refs more. Rooney used to get a fair amount of leeway, same as Gerrard or Terry. Even Liverpool have Henderson as their captain rather than the likes of VVD or Salah.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
First of all we don't know what's happening. He could be defending someone or something, in fact he was actually with Rashford & Williams. Maguire will still be United's captain at the moment, we've seen stuffs like this in the past with Giggs, Cantona & Robson and they still captained us. End of the day, it's about professionalism as a footballer not just about who they are as person.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s also about the way you conduct yourself off the pitch to put Manchester United in a bright light. Obviously.
Let's just wait until he's proven guilty shall we? Then we can talk about this again. Not really ''obviously'' how you can said such a thing when Keane was known as our greatest captain and he was arrested before too.

RashyForPM

Let's just wait until he's proven guilty shall we? Then we can talk about this again. Not really ''obviously'' how you can said such a thing when Keane was known as our greatest captain and he was arrested before too.
I meant obviously as in the factor, and I do think it’s true as:
1) Keano had punch-ups and stuff, but he was a driving force behind our success and the player equivalent to SAF. There is always an exception to the rule, and this guy was just that.

2) That was 2 decades ago. Times have changed. Sponsors are more wary about business decisions, people are more politically correct and non-conscientious supporters like us mightn’t want to support the club if the captain is a police basher :lol: Having an increasing fanbase is and always has been beneficial for Manchester United.

Of course though, you are right about innocent until proven guilty. However, if he is indeed guilty, I’d give it to Bruno right away.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I meant obviously as in the factor, and I do think it’s true as:
1) Keano had punch-ups and stuff, but he was a driving force behind our success and the player equivalent to SAF. There is always an exception to the rule, and this guy was just that.

2) That was 2 decades ago. Times have changed. Sponsors are more wary about business decisions, people are more politically correct and non-conscientious supporters like us mightn’t want to support the club if the captain is a police basher :lol: Having an increasing fanbase is and always has been beneficial for Manchester United.

Of course though, you are right about innocent until proven guilty. However, if he is indeed guilty, I’d give it to Bruno right away.
2 decades ago, or now are not different, it doesn't change media & people view about what is right and what is wrong. We are still fine even after numerous our players & captain being in troubled.

This is a giant football club after all not a company. Unless if the incident went beyond like being racist, killing people & jailed for years then it makes sense. Being fined or minor stuffs are nothing.

Rolaholic

I hate to use this word but in this case i must. De Gea deserved to be a captain and if we will change captain he is the one. It was great injustice to skip him and give it to new player. His form has nothing to do with captaincy. If he will go to bench then vice captain will took over (Pogba would be my choice for that role).
Agreed,I would've given it to Dave last year before Harry and I'd still give it to him now regardless of his drop in form.

He's made 400 appearances for the club and is the only mainstay who's actually won something of consequence with us (a league title in this case).

I don't like the idea of giving it to Bruno already the same reason I didn't like the idea of giving it to Harry after a few weeks. He's definitely on his way to becoming the skipper though sooner rather than later I'll admit that but he'll have been more tenured with us by that point

lsd

The Oracle

Pavl3n

It's hard to know as we're not inside the dressing room. Bruno does seem like a great leader, though.

Might be given to De Gea - wasn't he captain at one point?
Imagine him trying to rally the team after he's slipped the ball between his ears... we should be looking for ways to get rid of him, yet you want him as a captain.

quackattack

Yea, he clearly needs to be hung, drawn and quartered asap.

Lingard for Captain!
Excuse me, but what has he done to deserve that. Or rather what do he bring to the table that qualify him as a captain??
It is clear that Pereira is a way better option!

starman

Honestly some of our fans are fecking weird, whats this desire to get Maguire stripped of the captaincy, its like people have been waiting for a slip-up so their fanboy preference can be lived out. I mean Pogba has been mentioned Ffs :lol: :rolleyes:

If Maguire has done what some sources are claiming than there will obviously be ramifications, but to suggest he is not a good captain is delusional. I think people should also look into his work off the pitch during lockdown