Who should start: Mata or Mkhitaryan(or both)?

Andrew~

Some of you are underestimating premier league teams a little too much here.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I absolutely adore Mata, but I don't see how Mkhitaryan can be left out on the form he's shown in the past couple of games.

But they started together last week, and we didn't do half bad.

Brightonian

Against Everton we'll want the full 3-man midfield, so it's gotta be one or the other. I'd say Miki for this match because he's the one who needs momentum, confidence and bedding-in. Then get Mata in against Zorya and you'll have the choice of either/both in good fighting nick for Spurs.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Mata is majestic whenever he plays number 10 for us. With Martial and Mkhitaryan providing further penetration and being in top form we can go past teams at any speed.

And then your forgetting Pogba, who is magic whenever he plays with quick, fast and interchanging players.

If we start with this until the end of the season

Zlatan
Martial Mata Mkhitaryan
Pogba Herrera

I believe we could go on a really good run and end the season on a high.

wolvored

I would stick with the front 4 we had yesterday (apart from the Everton game) Rooney has come back into some form over the last couple of games, and Miki is a better player overall than Mata. Martial seems to have come back from whatever was ailing him as well. Ibra is now making the right decisions mainly, and our best striker with his experience. I think the centre midfield is more of a conundrum. Do we keep playing Carrick, or look to the future of Herrera and Pogba, and even this might not be the midfield 2 next season. It may be Pogba + new player.

cantona7676

I like Mata and he has been one of our best players this season but Miki gives us something we have been missing pace and crossing ability, he also seems to work very well with Valencia.

I also think we need to play a midfield 3 and playing Mata and Miki together makes us too top heavy so for the Everton game I would go with

--------------------------De-gea---------------------
Valencia-----Jones-------Rojo------Shaw
--------------------------Carrick----------------------
------------Herrera----------------Pogba---------
---Mkhitaryan-------------------------Martial---
--------------------------Zlatan-------------------------

Mike09

Does it matter who should start? If Rooney plays like what he did from the Swansea game to West Ham game, there is no reason why Mata needs to be nailed on. I like Mkhytaryan and I think him being in form can be the key of our success this season. I like Mata more on the right wing and I prefer Martial on the team sheet because he offers more pace than both Mata and Mkhytaryan.

In my opinion our XI should be:
DDG
Defense
Carrick Pogba
Mkhytaryan Rooney Martial
Ibra

In a big games:
DDG
Defense
Herrera Carrick Pogba
Mkhytaryan Ibra Martial

Mata has been good as well, but in my opinion the pace of Martial is needed.
I like the way how Rooney plays in recently more than what Mata has shown this season. he reminds me of the old Rooney and offer more aggression than Mata does.
If Mkhytaryan can perform like what he did last season, he will be my choice over Mata all day.
Im not worry about who should start to be honest. As long they can perform we will be fine and as long as we don't drop them when they are on fire we will be fine. I think it's good that we have plenty good options in our attacking mid/wingers like Mata, Rooney, Martial, Mkhytaryan. We can rotate them.

ghagua

Mata will get a goal once in a while, but Mkhitaryan changes the attack when he plays. He runs with the ball and also plays wonderful 1 touch football, and can thread a ball through a needle. Goals will come from him, but I love watching him play as he has been doing.

Champagne Football

Juan has been brilliant but I'd defo have Mkhitaryan and Martial in the team ahead of him now that they both look like they're hitting form.

Fracture90

We can't play both of them it's to big of a defensive liability especially because that would mean Carrick is out.

We can play them both at some point in the match against a super defensive team tho.

Carrick, Herrera and Pogba is our best MF trio with Herrera covering massive ground and has off the ball movement on pair for both Mikhi and Mata.

Therefore there's a spot for only one of them and IMO it would be Mikhi. He's stronger, quicker, has more pace and he's just as creative as Mata is, he's not a defensive phenome but his pace allows him to put the pressure on someone during his defensive tasks.

Spaghetti

Mom's
It's great to have this type of selection problem, especially considering how "poor" we have been.

There are several midfield / attacking players now that deserve to be in the team on current form; Carrick, Herrera, Pogba, Rooney, Martial, Mata, Miki, Zlatan. There are going to be some disappointed faces in the changing room and then we still have Rashford, Lingard, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Fellaini.

This is the sort of headache Mou wants!

For Sunday I'd go with a...
...Herrera...Pogba...
Miki...Mata...Martial
.......Zlatan.......

I fancy us to go on a bit of a run.

Oh, to answer the original question: both :)

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
I'd love to play both. I know Mata may not be the strongest or the fastest, but he's got the passing and the vision. Also seems to link up well with Herrera and Zlatan. Both could work together really well in a 4231.

The only problem I have with that is that Carrick won't be able to start. Having him in the starting lineup seems to guarantee good overall play as well. I played around with a 4141 formation that included him, but one of Mata or Mkhitaryan would have to be benched. In this case, I prefer Mkhitaryan to start even though I am a big fan of Mata. The reason being is the speed for counter attacking like what we saw earlier today.
He's too old to run the CDM on his own. He needs someone alongside him.

Janson

Mata is majestic whenever he plays number 10 for us. With Martial and Mkhitaryan providing further penetration and being in top form we can go past teams at any speed.

And then your forgetting Pogba, who is magic whenever he plays with quick, fast and interchanging players.

If we start with this until the end of the season

Zlatan
Martial Mata Mkhitaryan
Pogba Herrera

I believe we could go on a really good run and end the season on a high.
That will never happen. We would get overrun by stronger teams with that midfield.

This is more realistic:

———Zlatan———
Martial——Mikhitaryan
---Pogba—Herrera----
------Carrick----------

And rotate Mata with Miki, Martial with Rooney and Carrick with Fellaini. Rashford to play his way back in but the problem is he has to play on the wing since Zlatan seems to be untouchable at the moment.

The way I see it, the reason for playing a strong team as often as possible is not necessarily because he cares about those competitions but to find the best players and make them gel. Right now it looks like he has his most important 14-15 players, only the back line isn't certain yet. In that case he should start resting the likes of Zlatan, Pogba and other important players more. At this rate I don't see how Zlatan will make the whole season without burning out.

We can't play both of them it's to big of a defensive liability especially because that would mean Carrick is out.

We can play them both at some point in the match against a super defensive team tho.

Carrick, Herrera and Pogba is our best MF trio with Herrera covering massive ground and has off the ball movement on pair for both Mikhi and Mata.

Therefore there's a spot for only one of them and IMO it would be Mikhi. He's stronger, quicker, has more pace and he's just as creative as Mata is, he's not a defensive phenome but his pace allows him to put the pressure on someone during his defensive tasks.
Agree completely with this.

Last edited:

jojose

We actually have the perfect players to set up in the Total Football formation with Blind ideal to play the position his dad did as the extra centre back / extra midfielder.

----Bailly-------Jones-------Rojo--

------------------Blind---------------

-------Herera-----------Pogba------

------------------Mata----------------

Miki-----------Zltan-------------Martial

Allows them all to play in the their most comfortable position.

m1y2

sacrifice ander o paly the holding role and problem solved, pogba can help at the back at times too and the front four is just deadly

Rockets Redglare

So basically Rooney plays decent for a couple of games and Mkhi gets a run out and all of a sudden Mata who has been our best player this season is surplus to requirements again.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So basically Rooney plays decent for a couple of games and Mkhi gets a run out and all of a sudden Mata who has been our best player this season is surplus to requirements again.
Surprised people aren't calling for him to be sold again.

Glideman

I honestly don't know! I think against the worse teams, play both but Miki has pace over Mata and I really want a 3 man midfield with Carrick Herrera and Pogba.

TrueRed79

It will never be: Martial Mata Miki(all the time) Can see it used from time-to-time, but you will see Pogba in the hole more often(imo). Jose will always prefer a solid MF 3, rather than the front 4 we crave all the time. Hasn't he used 4-3-3 in the last 4/5 games anyway?

NJM78

I would like to see especially at home against the lesser opposition Martial, Mata and Micky behind Zlatan or Marcus as I think we would be way too much to handle and would (or should) score plenty. Rooney did well again but I'd still say Mata is better at 10 than Wayne. I do not like Pogba in the hole and would probably prefer Herrera there with Pogba next to Carrick if Jose decided to be more defensive against the best teams and away from home. Just no Fellaini and Rashford out wide and I will be happy but to have Mata and Mkhitaryan in the same team would be beautiful to watch.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Welcome to the rationale of the Caf

If Mkhi was crap for a game or two, they'd be stating that he needs more game time.

Fortunately I think Jose is aware who has risen to the challenge

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Real easy to play both, so do so. Micky surely deserves another chance now and Mata has been our best attacking player this season overall I'd say.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Real easy to play both, so do so. Micky surely deserves another chance now and Mata has been our best attacking player this season overall I'd say.
Jose said post West Ham(Wed night) that he'd never had so much creativity before Now i hope he backs that up by playing to our attacking virtues rather than a containing game Hope it starts against Everton

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We are all instant gratification muppets here. One good game and Mkhi is our savior. One mistake in goal and a poster suggested we "give Romero a run". One or two good performances and suddenly Rooney is back etc.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Pogba and Herrera in a midfield 2 does not seem to work. There's enough games to go around for both Miki and Mata. Playing Miki and Mata has not been tried, so we can't judge. However, that combination also restricts Martial and Rashford's development.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We are all instant gratification muppets here. One good game and Mkhi is our savior. One mistake in goal and a poster suggested we "give Romero a run". One or two good performances and suddenly Rooney is back etc.
Wise words, Raoul.

caid

Pogba and Herrera in a midfield 2 does not seem to work. There's enough games to go around for both Miki and Mata. Playing Miki and Mata has not been tried, so we can't judge. However, that combination also restricts Martial and Rashford's development.
I think its been our best midfield that doesn't include carrick (he can't play every game).

padotido

Just my humble opinion ..
Mata or Mikhi ?
Mata plays on the flank but his best position is number ten while Mikhi best position is on the flank
The question should be Mata or Rooney ?

------------- Ibra----------- -- --
Martial/Rasford-Mata/Rooney--Mikhi/Mata

ROFLUTION

Mata. Bring Mkhi on later in the game, when the opposition is tired, and he'd look even greater. Out new armenian savior might still need some easing in also.

Do it because Pogba is phenominal in his current role. And it allows for Carrick lying deep too.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
There's no problem with playing both of them, both when playing two and three in midfield.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Pogba and Herrera may work from time to time but it's hardly our ideal midfield. Herrera hasn't got much range in his passing, so if he's sitting deep (to free up Pogba) youre gonna get a lot of sideward passes. Blind at CB could make it work a little better as his distribution is the closest to Carrick as we've got.

If Miki and Rooney are playing well then Mata will be the one to inevitably miss out. Both are more dynamic and Miki obviously offers a lot more on the right flank. He'll probably rotate with Rooney at #10.

Reactions: Sultan

KevinJoh

We can start both but would be risky. With current formation, we would need Carrick and Hererra or Pogba behind, and Mata and Mikhi with Martial for example in front of them. But with Pogba not very disciplined when playing behind attacking midfielders, I doubt that Mourinho will opt for that. Maybe at home against someone like Sunderland.

Walters_19_MuFc

Both. Mata has arguably been our best player so far this season, and Mkhitaryan has started to show in the last few games what he can bring to our team.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are we seriously comparing arguably our player of the season so far with a player who has played 4(?) games so far of which his 2 influential performances came against a half strength West Ham side and an average european side?
If you have to play one- it's Mata hands down. But ideally I'd like to see them both with Mkhi on RW and Mata at no. 10