Who Will Be Our Wingers For Next Season?

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
With the speculation of Ineos wanting to sign Olise, it's important to assess our current options and make strategic decisions for the next season. We currently have eight potential players, including Olise:

Greenwood
Rashford
Amad
Antony
Garnacho
Sancho
Forson

Considering our goal of becoming a top team, it's essential to evaluate each player's potential as a bonafide starter. However, it becomes apparent that none of them currently stand out as clear starters for our desired level.

Furthermore, it's important to acknowledge that we may not reach our desired level next year, regardless of our actions in the transfer market. Therefore, a sensible approach might be to stick with what we have and focus on developing players who we believe will reach that caliber within the next two years. This gradual growth approach allows the team to progress collectively.

In summary, considering the potential signing of Olise and our current options, what approach would you take and which players to you see lacing up for us next season?
I suspect we'll keep five. The question is, which five?

M Bison

Supports
York City
I really like Olise and i think a lot depends on what happens with Greenwood.

1. Greenwood - it sounds as though he'll get shipped out, if he doesnt then he's a far better player than Olise
2. Rashford - be amazed if he leaves, not had a good season but i cant see the club moving him on
3. Amad - yesterday has done wonders for his stock, not sure whether he'll be here next season though, he'll want more playing time and i cant see him getting ahead of Antony in the pecking order
4. Antony - cant see the club taking the financial hit on him, after what we paid we wouldnt even get half of it back and if i was EtH i'd be determined to see him succeed given the previous time working together
5. Garnacho - phenomenal talent, best of the lot at the moment
6. Sancho - hopefully gone, similar to Antony on the financial hit but the only difference is Sancho has spat his dummy out
7. Forson - who knows, doesnt look as though he'll hang about

So in summary i think we'll end up with 4 for the 2 positions, and we have:

1. Rashford
2. Antony
3. Garnacho
4. Greenwood or replacement

Bigger issue is how we manage the forward line and how/who comes in to provide cover/competition for Rasmus

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There's other priorities I'd say. Only really need 2 players per position, and given the unlikeliness of selling certain players (Antony), already having our starters set (Rashford and Garnacho), that just means there's 1 real spot open for players who will receive real game time. I'd leave that for Amad, given he actually has big potential but of course after a moment and game like yesterday, you'd expect him to get more chances now to give him a shot of pushing on. Forsun as the 5th is fine too.

Greenwood will be sold for obvious reasons, Sancho will be sold as he doesn't suit the prem and has no relationship with Ten Hag.

Long term (2025) I'd also look to get rid of Antony and replace with Nico Williams, but for this summer it's not a priority. Olise I'm whatever about, don't think he's the right level, he wouldn't start ahead of Rashford or Garnacho and would be a weaker squad player than someone like Nico Williams who would strongly compete for that starting spot.

Funds should be focused on:
  • CB x2 (2 of Maguire, Lindelof and Varane should go and be replaced with younger CB's who are more suited to a high line/high press team, but also comfortable on the ball... and importantly stay fit)
  • Midfield x2 (Casemiro and Eriksen will both probably leave, in addition to Amrabat. We'll be left with Bruno, Mount, Mainoo and McTominay in the midfield 3, so need a ball winning midfielder ready to start and probably a 2nd midfielder who is younger and a squad player)
  • Left back (this season is a joke, needs to be assessed what Shaw's long term fitness is, should he be seen as a starter but manage his games, rotate him with Martinez at LCB or something, but Malacia's fitness also needs to be assessed)
  • Backup CF (someone older to compete and rotate with Hojlund)

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Greenwood
Rashford
Amad
Antony
Garnacho
Sancho
Forson

As much as I'd like to upgrade on Antony, we've got priority positions to address. We've gone most of the season with one fullback, our key players (spine of the team) - Varane, Licha, Martial and Casemiro are injury prone and need to be addressed.

75-85m on sales would be useful for us.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’ll be Rashford and Garnacho, Antony rotating and Amad off the bench. I expect Greenwood and Sancho to be sold. Not sure what happens with Pellistri. I don’t expect a wide player to be signed.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White

1. Greenwood - it sounds as though he'll get shipped out, if he doesnt then he's a far better player than Olise
2. Rashford - be amazed if he leaves, not had a good season but i cant see the club moving him on
3. Amad - yesterday has done wonders for his stock, not sure whether he'll be here next season though, he'll want more playing time and i cant see him getting ahead of Antony in the pecking order
4. Antony - cant see the club taking the financial hit on him, after what we paid we wouldnt even get half of it back and if i was EtH i'd be determined to see him succeed given the previous time working together
6. Sancho - hopefully gone, similar to Antony on the financial hit but the only difference is Sancho has spat his dummy out

1. Rashford
2. Antony
3. Garnacho

Bigger issue is how we manage the forward line and how/who comes in to provide cover/competition for Rasmus
This is probably it for me. Most likely will be with the Greenwood replacement.
As for the forward question, I think the profile we get will depend on how Hojlund looks come the end of the season. If he looks ready, we'll get a serviceable experienced back up. If not, we'll get an experienced starter/challenger. Hopefully it's the former as it'll mean we can save here and invest properly in midfield and defense.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
It’ll be Rashford and Garnacho, Antony rotating and Amad off the bench. I expect Greenwood and Sancho to be sold. Not sure what happens with Pellistri. I don’t expect a wide player to be signed.
The problem with this for me is, when you compare that front line to our rivals, we still don't match up. The rest of the team has to be really good for the front line to flourish.

The Irish Connection

A top class winger is as important as midfielder for me. We need more composure and goals from our front 3. Basically someone to push to start ahead of Rashford and a backup centre forward too.

Crashoutcassius

I suspect Sancho will be in the fold. Ineos and team won't want to cast off a valuable asset at a top bargain bin price. They will want him to play his way to getting some value I expect. Depends on his performances in Germany and his attitude too I suppose.

eire-red

Greenwood
Rashford
Amad
Antony
Garnacho
Sancho
Forson

As much as I'd like to upgrade on Antony, we've got priority positions to address. We've gone most of the season with one fullback, our key players (spine of the team) - Varane, Licha, Martial and Casemiro are injury prone and need to be addressed.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post. I haven't seen enough of Olise to know if he's truly worth prioritising over signing some quality into the spine of the squad.

I've seen enough glimpses of quality from Amad to believe he could be a good player, and Rashford - Hojlund - Garnacho have shown enough promise playing together in my opinion to put forth a claim for those starting positions. Amad and Antony aren't the worst backup options you can have.

We need some depth in the CF position too. Rashford doesn't produce down the middle.

ole@thewheel

Consistently scoring goals have been a major problem for us this season, and having inconsistent wing players played a major role to that. I think our whole attack requires a big overhaul this summer window, especially as it is expected that we will see a couple of players leaving from these positions.

Our most consistent front 3 this season was as follows:

Rashford (26) - Very questionable form this season and can see him leaving if the right offer comes this way
Hojlund (21)- On the young side, needs backup as the only proper ST on the team
Garnacho(19) - On the young side, minutes need to be managed, needs backup

Back-up of the above:

Sancho (23)- on loan, most likely to be sold
Pellistri (22)-on loan, most likely to be sold
Amad (21)- can see him getting sold if the right offer comes
Greenwood (22)- on loan, most likely to be sold
Antony(24) - major question marks around him, unlikely to be sold given the initial investment

So realistically we do have two U21 players & two questionable form first teamers in charge of our attack, and that should not be the options we do want to limit ourselves with if we want to go up a gear next season.

I think we at least need a first team hybrid ST/winger and a winger for next season, regardless if we sell Rashford or not. The goal should be to improve this area of the team with zero extra investment.

Woziak

Greenwood
Rashford
Amad
Antony
Garnacho
Sancho
Forson

Sensible post, too many fans think this summer is a blank cheque and we will sell £200m bring in £350-400m, it’s just not going to happen. I agree with the departures but add Facundo Pellistri plus we won’t get a penny for Forson if he doesn’t sign a new contract.

I Genuinely think the plan is simpler than most think, it will be get a young mobile CB, Buy a young Left Back, Buy A Young deep lying playmaker, Bring in a Cheap/Free CDM/CM, Buy another CF, Buy a right winger.

Without sales that lot will cost £260-300m and if we can get £100m for sales of ; A Fernandez(I would keep), V Lindelof, T Malacia, J Sancho, Hanibal, M Greenwood, F Pellistri.

Harry Maguire, S Mctominay, Bruno, Rashford, L Shaw, are going nowhere, whatever we think as fans. Casemiro and Varane may be moved on simply because of the wages they are on if that’s the case we may buy another midfielder and possibly do a loan to buy deal with J C Todibo.

As for our attacking options we don’t score enough goals however We do have talent coming through, because of the nature of the modern game and added intensity plus more games being added to the calendar next year, two extra in CL or Europa that’s 2 more games added. We need 6/7/8 options for these positions. We need three to start and at least 2/3 on the bench while 2 will always be injured or out of form , there is a reason why 9 players can now be named in PL and 12 in Europe.

These are current stats for the players you mentioned with all strikers plus Rasmus added, I look at the Strikers as a unit and the unit needs to improve and become a combined force to score and assist in increasing our goal output, too many are too selfish, they are trying to grab the limelight individually rather than working coherently as an attacking unit.

Stats This Season;
Rasmus Hojlund P31 GS13 A2 GI 1 in 2.06
Marcus Rashford P35 GS8. A6. GI 1 in 2.50
Alejan Garnaucho P38 GS7 A4 GI 1 in 3.45
Antony P30. GS2 A1 GI 1 in 10.0
Amad Diallo P4. GS1. A0.GI. 1 in 4.0
Anthony Martial P19. GS2. A2.GI 1 in 4.75
Omari Forson P5. GS0 A1. GI 1 in 5.0
Facundo P. P20. GS1. A3.GI 1 in 5.0
(loan included)

As you can see the top 3 are miles better than our supporting cast With the caveat that Amad has not had enough football and needs at least another 10 games this season to see if he can be a 1 in 3/3.5 player which is what all 6 of our squad options should be to increase our goal output.

These are the attacking Players that we are looking at to increase the output ;

M Olise. P11 GS6 A3 GI 1 in 1.22
P Neto P23. GS3 A11 GI 1 in 1.64
N Williams P29. GS6 A13 GI 1 in 1.52
T Kubo. P33 GS7 A4 GI 1 in 3.00
J Zirkzee P30. GS11 A6 GI 1 in 1.76
B Sesco P34. GS11 A2. GI 1 in 2.30
R Lewandowski P39 GS20 A9 GI 1 in 1.34
V Osimhen P24 GS13 A4 GI 1 in 1.41

We can clearly get two from the above list, all would be a huge and significant improvement on what we currently have, if we took Olise and Lewandowski for 1 year to give us time, that’s a significant upgrade.

Pedro Neto and Victor Osimhen would cost £160m or maybe £80m net investment after selling Greenwood, Sancho and Pellistri and fans saying they don’t want Osimhen because he will restrict Hojlynds Development, what are you talking about?

We are Manchester United that name only demands the best and our wide and striking options should be just that, the best!

If you’re playing at United and you are not scoring or assisting on a regular basis you must be moved on, Antony has 10/12 games to save his United career?

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I don't think it will change.

If you are looking at our team and only able to spend big in 1 or 2 positions, the focus HAS to be on CM/DM and CB.

I expect we will also look at an ST cover signing with Martial undoubtedly leaving and freeing up salary. There are solid 2nd striker options running down their contracts we should look at to save money for the inevitably huge fee we have to fork out for a DM and CB.

Bwuk

Greenwood
Rashford
Amad
Antony
Garnacho
Sancho
Forson

I agree with this although I expect us to try and sell Antony, and I imagine Pellistri is gone too.

Roboc7

Greenwood
Rashford
Amad
Antony
Garnacho
Sancho
Forson

If there is a chance to get rid of Antony we should take it, he’s not a big loss and nothing more than an extra body really. I suspect he will get another year simply because of the huge FFP hit but he may even go on loan.

The contribution of him, Sancho, Greenwood, Pellistri and Forson is virtually nothing and 4 of them have effectively gone already. I’d keep Forson but given his contract situation I assume he will choose to leave.

More minutes to Amad and a new addition like Olise or even a younger player like Bardghji would improve the squad and save a fortune compared to funding loan spells like we’ve ended up doing this season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Greenwood will gently be dealt with on the quiet. 100% gone.

The rest very obviously will stay. No-one is banging big money on Rashy, he probably is thge highest ceiling winger we have anyway on the right day.
Anthony again, no-one will buy for a value worth having, so he'll be here maybe until Jan then get a quiet loan off to Spain somewhere.

Todd

Rashford and Garnacho first choice, Antony and Amad as backups. Bruno and Mount can always cover at RW if needed.

I'd love to have an impact players like Leão come in, but we've got too many other needs and can't be spending 100 million on a winger.

Remember the geese

Garnacho and Amad for the right side, or we could purchase another right sided player (or use Greenwood) should we wish to use Amad centrally, or deploy Garnacho on the left.

As for the left side, I would sell Rashford and purchase two left sided options (if we don't wish to use Garnacho there). However, I highly doubt Rashford is going anywhere so just the one left sided purchase.

All of Pellistri, Sancho and Antony to be sold.

There are also kids such as Lacey, Mantato and possibly Williams who I'd consider bringing on tour to have a look at them.

Zed 101

I think it will Rashford and maybe Mount left, Garnacho and Amad right, although I very much suspect that Antony will still be here so will probably feature, I do not think Rashford will be sold unless a very good offer is on the table and he agitates for it.... I know he has his critics and rightly so but when he as at his best there are few better attacking wingers in world football, trick is finding a way to get his to his best

I do not think we will see any signings on the wings unless Rashford and Antony move, we have priorities elsewhere to address and lets face it when our front line is on it they are hard to improve on, I would like to see us try a cheeky push for Gnonto at the right price

Cannot see the return of Greenwood, I also think at this stage if he did return he would be best utilised in a 9/10 role instead of buying another striker.... but like I cay unlikely IMO

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Greenwood will gently be dealt with on the quiet. 100% gone.

The rest very obviously will stay. No-one is banging big money on Rashy, he probably is thge highest ceiling winger we have anyway on the right day.
Anthony again, no-one will buy for a value worth having, so he'll be here maybe until Jan then get a quiet loan off to Spain somewhere.
Sancho will also leave, dortmund apparently willing to spend 35m so I assume that'll be a quick deal. But yeah. Forsun will stay as a 5th choice winger, the odd sub appearance, emergency depth, eventual loan.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Garnacho, Antony and Rashford will be around and we will get a fourth winger. Sancho will likely be loaned out again and Amad either a loan or sold completely unless ETH’s reluctance towards him changes after the weekend.

Avero

Greenwood leaves. Sancho too. Forson is not ready, should go out on a loan next season. Seems like Diallo wants to leave as he deleted Man Utd from his social media. Antony will probably stay just because we paid so much for him.

This leaves us with Rashford, Garnacho, Antony and Pellistri.

LW
Rashford

RW
Garnacho
Antony
Pellistri

Garnacho can obviously play LW if Rashford gets injured. Fernandes and Mount are backups as well.

Not sure we absolutely need a winger this summer as money is needed elsewhere. But if we do, I would buy someone quite cheap but with an interesting potential.

Matías Soulé comes to mind. How about Antoine Semenyo?

Dazzmondo

Am I the only one that doesn't really want Olise? Not that he's not a good player, but he has an injury history, our current starting winger options are good enough imo, and I feel there are other more important positions to invest the money in the summer. In terms of answering the question, I think:

Rashford, Garnacho, Antony, Pellistri, Diallo

Could see Mount and Bruno playing there on occasion. Maybe Shea Lacey gets some mins.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
TBH, I don't like the idea of Rashford and Garnacho as our starting wingers going into next season. They are just too direct. Hojlund has taken the 35th most shots (28) of all forwards in the league. Haaland, Watkins and other top team strikers have taken over 80!. Not saying they are solely responsible for this (Bruno and our style of play is as well), but they are major contributors.
Of course if Garnacho grows into more of a creator then fantastic but I feel that ship has sailed for Rashy. This is why I'm keen for us the bring in an established creator or develop Amad or Antony into one.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’m hoping we sign Olise with the money we bring in for greenwood. Rashford, Garnacho and Amad will defo be here. Antony will probably be too but only because no one will pay for him and his wages. We could do with a wide player that’s comfortable on both sides and both feet to make them unpredictable.

DJ_21

TBH, I don't like the idea of Rashford and Garnacho as our starting wingers going into next season. They are just too direct. Hojlund has taken the 35th most shots (28) of all forwards in the league. Haaland, Watkins and other top team strikers have taken over 80!. Not saying they are solely responsible for this (Bruno and our style of play is as well), but they are major contributors.
Of course if Garnacho grows into more of a creator then fantastic but I feel that ship has sailed for Rashy. This is why I'm keen for us the bring in an established creator or develop Amad or Antony into one.
Ye I agree. I like the idea of a creative winger. Similar to what city have with Bernardo, Grealish and Fodan. We don’t really have that. We have wingers that like to cut in and shoot. Which is fine for one side but I feel the other side needs to be a creator. Gives us more of a dimension.

Redstain

I’m hoping we sign Olise with the money we bring in for greenwood. Rashford, Garnacho and Amad will defo be here. Antony will probably be too but only because no one will pay for him and his wages. We could do with a wide player that’s comfortable on both sides and both feet to make them unpredictable.
I think it's basically a certainty at this point that Olise would add a massive dimension to the teams attack. His dynamism as a player being competent across the board running at players, crossing accurately into the box and has the threat to score seeing him at a rival would be frustrating.

I'm seldom sold on any young player but he's one of the best right sided players in Europe for me, has domestic experience so there shouldn't be a long adjustment like experienced with Hojlund for instance and as stated would be a good way to offset Greenwood in the summer.

Plus he's supposedly a fan of the club, it's a good mix of variables.

DJ_21

Garnacho
Amad
Antony or Olise
Rashford (unfortunately)
Them 4 unfortunately I don’t see helping us challenge for big trophies. Amad and Garnacho aren’t the finished player yet. Rashford depending on what mood he’s in could help if we can get him back to his last season form. Olise would offer us a lot and make us play better down the right I’d say. But we’d have 3 right sided players and 1/2 left sided players, we’re lucky Garnacho has shown he can play decent on the right so we have him as an option for both sides. The others are all one sided

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We have Garnacho, Antony, Amad ( I think he's a no 10) Rashy and Pellistri.
Greenwood is gone as far as I'm concerned.
The above 5 are very promising.
What we really need is a centre midfielder to support/compliment Mainoo, a Striker and a centre back.
Of course I would love a good winger but the other 3 positions are way more pressing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As said above replacing Casemiro and Varane as starters is more important. Getting someone potentially as good as if not better than Shaw for LB and a backup striker are all more pressing than getting another winger in. Saying that we might still be interested in Olise if a few players have said they want to leave. The transfer is good value for the experience he has and his wages should be normal.

RuudTom83

I can’t imagine Mount ever cementing a place in the team tbh. But he might end up playing more games on the LW next season.

So I’d suggest.

LW
Rashford
Mount

RW
Garnacho
Amad

If the rumours of Olise have any truth then you would have to move Antony out to make room.

Then I would imagine most games it would be 2 of Rashford/Olise/Garnacho with Amad/Mount as backup.

The Irish Connection

We have Garnacho, Antony, Amad ( I think he's a no 10) Rashy and Pellistri.
Greenwood is gone as far as I'm concerned.
The above 5 are very promising.
What we really need is a centre midfielder to support/compliment Mainoo, a Striker and a centre back.
Of course I would love a good winger but the other 3 positions are way more pressing.
Antony is nowhere near good enough, nor is Pellistri. Rashford is too inconsistent and Amad has potential but still lots to prove. A winger who can get to near enough double figures in goals and assists is absolutely essential.
Tbh I think if we’re serious at all, the three positions you mentioned plus a top winger are all equally important.
Olise, Neto, Nico Williams, Rodrygo would be some names who can be at the level required.

JediSith

Them 4 unfortunately I don’t see helping us challenge for big trophies. Amad and Garnacho aren’t the finished player yet. Rashford depending on what mood he’s in could help if we can get him back to his last season form. Olise would offer us a lot and make us play better down the right I’d say. But we’d have 3 right sided players and 1/2 left sided players, we’re lucky Garnacho has shown he can play decent on the right so we have him as an option for both sides. The others are all one sided
If we’re building for the future I don’t mind making Amad and Garnacho our two main wingers and letting them develop over 2-3 seasons. I think it’ll be good if they have experienced alternatives but not those on such high wages/reputation that it’ll hinder their development.

TheRedHearted

1. Rashford
2. Antony
3. Garnacho

Another speculative post. Hate these. None of us knows!

Last edited:

DJ_21

LW - Vinicius Jr (Real selling to make way for Mbappe and him being tired of constant racial abuse in Spain) and Garnacho

RW - Greenwood and Mount
As Mount ever played RW? Think we’ll sell greenwood. I like the idea of Vinicius but think he’d cost all our transfer budget so that’s a no go and Ratcliffe as already ruled out signing superstars for big money. He wants to find the next Mbappes rather than current ones.

redNATION

As Mount ever played RW? Think we’ll sell greenwood. I like the idea of Vinicius but think he’d cost all our transfer budget so that’s a no go and Ratcliffe as already ruled out signing superstars for big money. He wants to find the next Mbappes rather than current ones.
Mount doesn’t really have a choice, Mainoo has taken his spot in the team. If we can recoup 50m then better to sell him as ETH is clearly not going to drop Bruno.