Who Will Be Our Wingers For Next Season?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Garnacho is the only one who is 100% safe. Rashford with his new contract also probably wont be sold so that's already two.

I'd love to keep Amad but ETH prefers Antony. We might as well keep both though because the three guys on loan will probably be sold. Those funds can be better spent elsewhere on the starting 11 than winger. CB and CM preferably.

Grande

My premises are as follows:

1. Ten Hag stays
2. We are not expecting to take the full step next season.
3. It’s more important at this stage to have the right profile of players than the right quality of players.

I expect Sancho and Greenwood to go because they are not the right profiles on a personal level. Pellistri is stylistically not a great fit, and could be sold. That leaves

Garnacho
Rashford
Antony
Amad
Forson

Of those, I think Garnacho, Rashford and Antony fits the football well stylistically. Garnacho is a no brainer in that respect. People will complain about Rashford being too onesided etc, but I don’t think so, not at his best, and I think Ten Hag agrees with me. Otherwise he wouldn’t have built his team to get the most out of Rashford. His issue is consistency, but when at his best, he has the qualities to thrive in a Ten Hag-system, stylistically. The doubt is rather: what lies behind his inconsistency. If it’s attitude, he will be sold and much money will go to a replacement. If it’s issues to do with confidence, personal stuff, tactical inderstanding, I think Ten Hag is going to continue with him.

Antony will get groans because of his quality and his price. For Ten Hag, his price incoming will be irrelevant, because tose money can’t be recouped. If he’s sold, he’ll bring in, I don’t know, €35m? He fits the profile perfectly, if he comes back to his normal form of last season, Ten Hag will not get a significantly better stylistic fit, and whom he trusts and knows, for those Euros alone. I think Antony stays as one of four wide player candidates.

Then Amad and Forson. Forson is on an outgoing contract, he got a few chances so the coaches probably like his qualities, he’s done ok, but not as ok as Elanga did, say. Will he get an inproved contract and promises of a bigger part to play next season. Don’t know, but at this point I doubt it. Amad is a player I have hoped for since he arrived, but I’ve but uncertain about his confidence, proactivity, aggression, feats necessary for a player of his stature and strengths to take the final step. I’m putting my two bob on him having taken a decisive stride with the Liverpool game, and will get more chances, and hopefully be one of four wide candidates going into next season.

Garnacho, Rashford, Antony, Amad - It looks a bit meagre going into a full season, but stylistically it is sound. I think we’ll need either a cheaper option to have five options, and save our FFP money for other positions, or we chose to make this a priority position to strengthen ahead of CM, ST or CB. We can’t buy three top dollar players for the money we get on sales, I don’t think.

My guess is that if Ten Hag is unsure of either of the four players I mentioned being able to turn in a considerable shift next season, we might go for someon like Olise or Neto, but at the expense of bringing in more moderate reinforcements for CB, CM and ST (two of three). At their best, it’s good enough to grow, but not to dominate, but I’m satisfied with that. I have no way of knowing how far either of them are from being at their best come August, though. Big decision.

CasaStreets

It’ll be Rashford and Garnacho, Antony rotating and Amad off the bench. I expect Greenwood and Sancho to be sold. Not sure what happens with Pellistri. I don’t expect a wide player to be signed.
The problem with this for me is, when you compare that front line to our rivals, we still don't match up. The rest of the team has to be really good for the front line to flourish.
This exchange perfectly sums up the whole situation

We desperately need improvements to our front 4, but I can’t see us adding any firepower except a reserve striker

Our need for CBs and a CDM are more important, arguably even LB

Sancho, Greenwood, Pellistri to be sold. Forson goes on loan. I think Rashy/Garnacho start. Antony/Amad in reserve. Maybe Mount even gets rotated out wide if his experiment as a #8 fails.

It’s grim from a goalscoring perspective, but it’s probably what we should and will do from a transfer priorities standpoint

ShinjiNinja26

What’s the point? None of us have a clue
As has been pointed out to you already the whole thread is based on who we think we might sign, unless any of us work at the club at board level then nobody knows exactly who we’ll be targeting, it’s all speculation. It is a fan forum after all.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mount doesn’t really have a choice, Mainoo has taken his spot in the team. If we can recoup 50m then better to sell him as ETH is clearly not going to drop Bruno.
Bruno can't keep playing that level of football week in week out so another no 10 is needed. If I was mount I'd aim for 3 places IE no 10, RW and a deep lying playmaker role

Von Mistelroum

I don't imagine we'll have much money to throw at every position we need to strengthen.

I would think that we will prioritise a striker (backup), midfielder and centre back.

Sadly, I think we'll persist with Rashford, but personally I would like to see us giving Amad a chance at least. Him and Garnacho are probably the best we have currently. I don't think Amad is United quality if I'm honest, but he's better than the other options.

The Purley King

Bruno can't keep playing that level of football week in week out so another no 10 is needed. If I was mount I'd aim for 3 places IE no 10, RW and a deep lying playmaker role
Bruno can’t keep playing what level?
His “level” has been pretty poor for a while now……
He is in such a key position see replacing him as the priority.
Would be happy with garnacho, amad (who might be better in Bruno’s role), + olise.
Don’t think Antony will be sold so he can be back up and I’d prefer if rashford was sold.
Pellistri, greenwood will be gone.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Bruno can’t keep playing what level?
His “level” has been pretty poor for a while now……
He is in such a key position see replacing him as the priority.
Would be happy with garnacho, amad (who might be better in Bruno’s role), + olise.
Don’t think Antony will be sold so he can be back up and I’d prefer if rashford was sold.
Pellistri, greenwood will be gone.
I've been following Bruno since his Sampdoria days. His biggest curse was always that of trying to compensate for other weaknesses which in turn ends up hurting his performance. At Sampdoria he sacrificed himself a lot by playing ultra deep so that they could accommodate Schick. Turned out that his 'star' diminished while Schick's shined. I believe he's doing that with United at the very moment. He's dropping too deep while doing too much which in turn is hurting his game. But that's not my point. Bruno is currently topping two lists. He's playing a ridiculous amount of games and he's among the top 6 players in terms of distance covered. 5 out of those are more defensive minded players (Rice, Porro, James ward prowse, Bruno Guimaraes). At 29 years of age this ridiculous amount of game/running is unsustainable. The club will either have to manage him better or else he really risk to end up like Ji Sung Park who ran out of steam at a relatively young age. That's were Mount will come to play

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Bumping this thread in the wake of the latest match. I really don't think we'll succeed much playing Rashford and Garnacho together. The most we can afford is one of them, if we plan on ever having any sustained pressure in the opposition final third. It was clear the difference a player in the mould of Amad makes to being able to maintain final thrid pressure.
This is not to say they were the only issue yesterday, but they were a big part of it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Think it's safe to assume Sancho and Pellestri are gone. Rashford also hopefully. That leaves Garnacho and Amad which means we need an experienced physical winger. A Rafa Leao type. Maybe Chiesa from Juve.

Woziak

Think it's safe to assume Sancho and Pellestri are gone. Rashford also hopefully. That leaves Garnacho and Amad which means we need an experienced physical winger. A Rafa Leao type. Maybe Chiesa from Juve.
New coach will allow Sancho back, no one is paying his wages !

Von Mistelroum

It's funny because I see Amad as the best of the current wingers, with Rashford comfortably the worst.

Amad actually has some huge potential from what I've seen. I think he needs a run in the first team somewhere to fully show this, but his control and decision making are both far beyond what our other wingers show 99% of the time.

Now, what I think will happen is that we'll definitely stick with our worst option in Rashford. The manager seems to love him, and to see no issues with regularly playing with 10-men due to Rashford's ability to disappear in games.

At his very best he relies on other players to do the work, or opposition teams to allow him to just run past them in a straight line. Very one/zero dimensional player. But again, manager loves him and I think he'll be manager next season so he'll be first choice.

I also think Garnacho will be first choice on the right. I do think he has potential, but seems like he's being coached to be just like Rashford. No real game sense for when to pass or good decision making.

I do also think we'll bring in another winger, but I suspect he'll be used like Amad and Mount in that he'll only play every blue moon, never get the chance to bed in and end up being moved on again. I feel like we will look to move Antony on, but not because EtH can see a problem but because of the off-field drama.