Who will be the surprise inclusion in the team?

Revaulx

Saw this yesterday. £300-400k with a 25% sell on.

Did stick my neck out and felt he was too good to stick around or go on loan again. His position is quite stacked though so makes sense to move on.

He’s been excellent on loan mind but Garner and Hannibal much more obvious candidates.
True.

Hope he does well and enjoys life in Dundee. The days of it being a shithole are long gone; I can’t think of anywhere in the UK that’s improved as much in recent years.

Dan_F

Martial based on the fact that we’re going to struggle to get forwards in. I’m not saying it’s going to work, but I do think everyone’s assuming he will be sold wrongly.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Could see DVB as a false something if we’re down on centre forwards.

norm87cro

Telles on the right sounds like an absolutely awful idea. Besides, he's a worse LB than AWB is RB.

I think AWB will start the season as first choice RB tbh, but I'm hopeful we see Laird given an opportunity. Seems like a genuine modern fullback, I've just no idea if he can actually defend.
I do too but I can see ETH doing a LVG and suprising us with a few unconvetional first 11 decisions.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Martial based on the fact that we’re going to struggle to get forwards in. I’m not saying it’s going to work, but I do think everyone’s assuming he will be sold wrongly.
I don't think he'll be sold, simply because we do not have the staff capable of making the sale. So he will stay and as you said, he will certainly get game time. The question is though, "how much game time will he get?"

b82REZ

Martial.

Maybe not a starter week in week out but I think he'll end up with a decent amount of appearances.

Hopefully he repays any faith in him with goals as he has shown, albeit fleetingly, that he is capable of leading the line for us.

Dan_F

I don't think he'll be sold, simply because we do not have the staff capable of making the sale. So he will stay and as you said, he will certainly get game time. The question is though, "how much game time will he get?"
I would imagine he’ll be starting the tour at number 9 for us. I think ETH will see Rashford as a wide forward and I don’t see Bruno as a false 9.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Interesting shout, again too much ahead of him though I feel.

I think the more obvious ones are Amad, Garner, Hannibal and someone like Garnacho/Shoretire.
I can't argue with that. I definitely see another loan - this time to at least a Championship team - before anything else. Maybe even a transfer.

However, I'd love to see him get a shot as, from a style pov, he's our most similar player to de Jong.

Having seen the squad announced for pre-season, that ain't happening, though. I get Garner being above him in the pecking order even though I don't rate him, but I'm very surprised to see Iqbal (who I do rate) and especially Savage.

NewYorkRed

David De Gea if you go by this forum’s opinion haha.

Cristiano. He stays.

Revaulx

It would be terrific and a much welcomed surprise if De Gea could adapt and become more rounded.
I don’t think he’s suddenly going to start coming off his line and turn into some all-commanding beast, but I’m pretty sure that the worst aspects of his distribution (the aimless hoofs) are stuff that he was instructed to do by Jose, none of whose successors have got round to stopping him.

I’m expecting his distribution to improve straight away if ETH is really bothered about retaining possession. He could do it under LvG and surely isn’t too old to re-acquire a skill he once had.
You think DDG is too thin?
:lol:

Bondi77

I think Garner and Laird will play a part for us this season but will depend if there are incomings

Remember the geese

You think DDG is too thin?
Well he does lack physical presence :lol:
I don’t think he’s suddenly going to start coming off his line and turn into some all-commanding beast, but I’m pretty sure that the worst aspects of his distribution (the aimless hoofs) are stuff that he was instructed to do by Jose, none of whose successors have got round to stopping him.

I’m expecting his distribution to improve straight away if ETH is really bothered about retaining possession. He could do it under LvG and surely isn’t too old to re-acquire a skill he once had.
I'm intrigued to see what sort of effect ten Hag will have on De Gea. As you say, I don't think he will turn into prime Neuer unfortunately, but I would like to see a big improvement.

Revaulx

Well he does lack physical presence :lol:

I'm intrigued to see what sort of effect ten Hag will have on De Gea. As you say, I don't think he will turn into prime Neuer unfortunately, but I would like to see a big improvement.
I may well be wrong, but it seems to me that of all the bad habits the players have been allowed to pick up in recent years, some at least of Dave’s should be the easiest to fix. It’s not like he’s being asked to massively increase his workrate.

Remember the geese

I may well be wrong, but it seems to me that of all the bad habits the players have been allowed to pick up in recent years, some at least of Dave’s should be the easiest to fix. It’s not like he’s being asked to massively increase his workrate.
I think some of his deficiencies are technical, others are tactical and mentality related. You would like to think that he could improve in one or two of those three categories.

Revaulx

I think some of his deficiencies are technical, others are tactical and mentality related. You would like to think that he could improve in one or two of those three categories.
Yeah. His refusal to carry on working with Franz Hoek after LvG was sacked and insistance on bringing in his old Atlético mate wasn’t a good sign mentality-wise, though the club agreeing to it was worse.

Laird or Garner. Look at players like James, Livramento and Lamptey who have came into the PL and adapted instantly in their first season. Laird can do it too.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I just hope he doesn't care about name or age, and picks the ones who responds best to his training and tactics.
If that is the U21 players, so be it.
I'd rather see Garnacho, Amad or Pellistri getting a chance than Martial getting his 28th chance.
Not seen much of Garner, so looking forward to seeing him in the pre season.

Scholsey2004

Iqbal's suposedly caught his eye. Garnacho too, although its difficult to see where he immediately fits in.

Mylock

I can see Garner making the team as the CDM this season.

Garner as CDM
De Jong Eriksen as No 8's and Bruno playing in the front 3.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Reckon we’ll see a couple youngsters make the first team this year. Ten Hags already said if there’s anyone that deserves to be in the first team then they will be but they must work hard and be consistent. Each manager we’ve had after fergie as all had there 1 guy who they’ve called up. Think ten Hag will fancy a few as he’s known to like youth and build a young hungry team. Hoping to see garner, garnacho and Hannibal a lot more this season.

WirralRed

Reckon we’ll see a couple youngsters make the first team this year. Ten Hags already said if there’s anyone that deserves to be in the first team then they will be but they must work hard and be consistent. Each manager we’ve had after fergie as all had there 1 guy who they’ve called up. Think ten Hag will fancy a few as he’s known to like youth and build a young hungry team. Hoping to see garner, garnacho and Hannibal a lot more this season.
Yeah Hannibal had to be the one. If he is sticking around this season he needs to start getting minuets, he’s already got a high reputation in the football world and already playing regularly for his Country, I can’t see him being happy if he isn’t at least getting a chance.
This is one of the reasons I love this new 5 subs rule, must be a massive advantage to some of these young players.

Bobski

this would not surprise me at all
Lisandro and Malacia as the left side of the defense would be heavily targeted aerially. 5"9 CB and 5"6 LB. We will see it but it may have selective use against certain opponents.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Personally think after all the talk of an over hall, the most surprising thing will be Ten Hags typical 11 first 11 won’t be that much different to Ole or Rangnicks