Who will be the surprise inclusion in the team?

Stacks

Martial maybe. If we don't sign any other forward, surely he'll be getting a fair amount of chances. He has the talent, but if Ten Hag can get him motivated on the pitch, I suppose he could be the surprise factor.
I still think there is a player with Martial, if he can buckle down and put the effort in (although he's not done that before) then he could even play himself into the World Cup squad with a serious run in the team. That's got to be his aim if he's got anything about him.
we still doing this?

FiiiiveTenHaaags

My money’s on Anderson returning as a fake Dutchman by the name of Andjen Vanderson and lighting up our midfield

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
we still doing this?
He's had far too many chances, as surprised as you to see people still suggest him.
I'd rather see the likes of Amad, Garnacho or Pellistri getting the chance. They are young, hungry and talented.
Hope atleast one of them can get their breakthrough this year.

Dazzmondo

Maybe one of Diallo or Garnacho? I'm not really expecting many surprise inclusions tbh unless you count Maguire which I wouldn't personally.

aeh1991

I really hope that ETH can improve Garner and Laird to players that can challenge for the starter places. Especially if Laird turn out well, we'd have two very attacking modern FBs on each side which is so important in ETH's system.

Belisarius

Pellistri. Don't know why but I think he's got the mentality and the skills. ETH will give him the discipline and structure and he'll take off.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If ten Hag wants a press resistant central midfielder, and we don't land de Jong, Galbraith.

norm87cro

I can see Dalot or Telles getting playing time ahead of AWB on the account of AWBs offensive limitations despite being a superior tackler

Rojofiam

Eriksen seems imminent which will bench McT. I reckon McT might shift back to CB over time.
Why the hell does 90% of this forum think that Eriksen will play CM? He's spent his whole career in the final third, as a #10.

Lentwood

Interesting to see ETH talking up Tariq Iqbal

I hope we do see more youngsters get a 'proper' chance under ETH. It felt like we lost our way just a little bit recently.

Even though we have still had plenty of Academy lads get minutes, they haven't really been trusted to play regularly. We need proper competition for all places, so we need to be comfortable chucking some of these younger lads in at the deep-end from time-to-time

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Interesting to see ETH talking up Tariq Iqbal

I hope we do see more youngsters get a 'proper' chance under ETH. It felt like we lost our way just a little bit recently.

Even though we have still had plenty of Academy lads get minutes, they haven't really been trusted to play regularly. We need proper competition for all places, so we need to be comfortable chucking some of these younger lads in at the deep-end from time-to-time
For all the talk of following United traditions, Ole only promoted Greenwood (an easy choice considering how
good he is) and Williams (who eventually went out on loan after Ole decided to get Alex Telles).

I hope Ten Hag is more adventurous in giving youth a chance. They're probably more coachable than some of the more senior players too, which is a plus considering how much actual coaching Ten Hag reputedly does.

tomaldinho1

Why the hell does 90% of this forum think that Eriksen will play CM? He's spent his whole career in the final third, as a #10.
Because Bruno exists & Eriksen is also getting a bit older, less mobile.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Reading the latest reports, it looks like a surprise player would be FdJ !!

Drizzle

He's played deeper the last few seasons, not at 10. That's why.

Revaulx

Outside the box

Levitt
News just in that he’s made a permanent move to Dundee United.

So unless they loan him back for the season, I think we can rule him out.

As an aside, this looks like another sign that United’s footballing side is being managed more actively (it’s maybe too early to say better) than previously. He’s done very well on loan but someone’s realised the likelihood of him getting a chance here is small so it’s best for his career to move him on rather than stockpile another fringe player.

TheReligion

Abusive
News just in that he’s made a permanent move to Dundee United.

So unless they loan him back for the season, I think we can rule him out.

As an aside, this looks like another sign that United’s footballing side is being managed more actively (it’s maybe too early to say better) than previously. He’s done very well on loan but someone’s realised the likelihood of him getting a chance here is small so it’s best for his career to move him on rather than stockpile another fringe player.
Saw this yesterday. £300-400k with a 25% sell on.

Did stick my neck out and felt he was too good to stick around or go on loan again. His position is quite stacked though so makes sense to move on.

He’s been excellent on loan mind but Garner and Hannibal much more obvious candidates.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah he’s not..

He’s played CM, even LCM or LM.

He’s been much deeper since he initially burst on the scene.

TheReligion

Abusive
If ten Hag wants a press resistant central midfielder, and we don't land de Jong, Galbraith.
Interesting shout, again too much ahead of him though I feel.

I think the more obvious ones are Amad, Garner, Hannibal and someone like Garnacho/Shoretire.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I can see Dalot or Telles getting playing time ahead of AWB on the account of AWBs offensive limitations despite being a superior tackler
Telles on the right sounds like an absolutely awful idea. Besides, he's a worse LB than AWB is RB.

I think AWB will start the season as first choice RB tbh, but I'm hopeful we see Laird given an opportunity. Seems like a genuine modern fullback, I've just no idea if he can actually defend.