Who will be this seasons scapegoat?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
2018/19: Young/Alexis
2019/20: Lingard
2020/21: Martial
2021/22: Rashford/Maguire
2022/23: Ronaldo/De Gea

Who's going to be the fault of all of our problems this season?

IHateTheEightyEights

I hate the way people so regularly misuse this word.

No single player has been blamed for any of our seasons. Its just something fans like to cry about.

JediSith

Media/Pundits Fernandes leadership qualities will be under scrutiny especially if Maguire is still there.

They’ll go in hard on Onana if he makes any early mistakes but will end up like Martinez last year.

Rashford could probably be a scapegoat if he doesn’t match last seasons tally or has a drought. New contract, scored a lot of goals last year so that’s to be expected.

From the fans Antony. I think his first season was decent and he improved a lot near the end. But if he doesn’t add more goals : assists I think a lot of fans won’t appreciate what he brings.

Von Mistelroum

It'll almost certainly be Onana. He's a danger 'keeper and will have a few howlers at least. People won't like that and the press will be all over him too.

Red_Aaron

Sancho is hot favourite as the knives are already out for him

Onana will almost certainly throw 1 or 2 in but I expect us to be so much better playing out that he gets away with it

Skills

Snitch
ETH signings will still be in the manager shits gold phase.

I'm going to say Dalot/AWB . Maybe Varane (the 5x CL winner + WC winner) won't be ball playing enough for Manchester United's charge for top 4.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
It will be very interesting to see if De Gea really had such a negative impact on the team tbh.
It's hard to blame him but directly but there's a lot of matches where we were winning but couldn't exert control to see out matches. The opposition would press us a bit and we'd fall apart while hoofing the ball and giving up possession. If that changes, we have to defend fewer chances and drop fewer silly points. A title challenge becomes a real possibility.

Rashford will be this year's scapegoat, he has a long line of people rooting for him to fail

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Other than Ronaldo and Maguire I don’t remember the others in the OP being blamed for everything.

I think ETH is doing a great job of turning the squad around. If we could get a replacement for Martial and offload Maguire I think most will be happy and players will then, rightfully, only be questioned on individual performances.

Red Comet

Onana after he lets in a couple of soft goals that even De Gea would be expected to save.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Sancho and Antony seem like the obvious candidates going by what's already being said about them in pre season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  • Antony
  • Sancho
  • Wan Bissaka/Dalot
Basically the right flank... I don't mind any of them, but I'm not convinced on the balance of it being a high enough level or dynamic enough, compared to the rest of the team. CF I think we all know is shit right now and Hojlund would be a project so I don't think we'll scapegoat him. Have a lot of faith in Onana, the left flank, the defensive core, and I don't think there will be a reason to scape goat Bruno or Mount. It'll be the right side which on balance doesn't provide enough and where we think we can improve.

Ceteris

The manager, second season syndrome

He wasn' that good, they said it
wasted millions buying his former players from Ajax