Who will break through to the seniors next season?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
With the breakthrough of Januzaj in to the first team this season, which youth player do you tip for next season?

I saw this article about 3 of our loanees, which one, if any will we be getting excited about in a few months time?

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/prem...es-impressed-form-trafford-201314,54772.html?

I'm was sort of thinking Nick Powell is the most promising, but he will have so much competition I doubt he will get much game time. Lingard is possibly the most most likely to get opportunities though. Who ever it is, it will be a big step up from Championship loan to the Premier League.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Jesse Lingard was assured he'd be ready for first team action by the age of twenty-two by Sir Alex Ferguson himself, so him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Could be someone else not loaned out this season, don't limit yourself to loanees only. Januzaj was never loaned out before breaking through.
You're missing my point... You're asking us to choose from a list of our young players, which will break into the senior team, say If I selected Wilson, but he was loaned out. Hence my point of, come a bit closer to the season and we have more of an idea who will at least be at OT, it would be a bit easier..

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I think next season will be too soon for all of them. Powell and Wilson should be challenging by the 15/16 season though.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Jesse Lingard was assured he'd be ready for first team action by the age of twenty-two by Sir Alex Ferguson himself, so him.
Just not at Manchester United.

I think that we are looking at Wilson and Keane. Pereira and Pearson thrown in as wild cards.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Just not at Manchester United.

I think that we are looking at Wilson and Keane. Pereira and Pearson thrown in as wild cards.
I have my doubts about Pereira, i'm not convinced that he is gonna make it.

Thorpe was highly regarded, how was is loan at birmingham(i think) ?

Brightonian

Wilson, Keane, Varela and Lingard all have a chance of seeing a bit of game time, but how much is dictated by who we already have in their positions, who we sell and who we buy.

Powell hasn't shown anything like the form or attitude necessary to earn first-team game time. Another loan spell for him.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Varela and Michael Keane have the best chance. Especially since we are a little light in those positions. Lawrence possibly also as our wingers are crap.

I expect Wilson to go on loan. I'm not convinced that Lingard is good enough.

MarcRed96

Michael Keane is up there for sure, I really hope he gets some game time with us next season. With Vidic and possibly Rio leaving this summer, he could do with another two centre backs given how prone Evans, Jones and Smalling seem to be and I reckon he wouldn't look out of place.

Wilson did well against Hull, I reckon he could step up as well if he's given the game time. For that to happen though, Hernandez would probably have to leave since, having failed to qualify for Europe, we wont have as much games next season.

Powell and Lingard could be in with a shot as well although they face a lot of competition and might be better off going out on loan to PL club.

mufcwarm92

Michael Keane, Lingard, Lawrence and Wilson will all be in the early match day squads and involved in the League Cup IMO.

Not prepared to give up on Will Keane yet either.

SalfordRed1960

Hard to say, but if LVG is given the job we may soon find out.

If we haven't got anyone at RB, LB or upfront then we are going to have to spend some serious dosh on top of the money for CM and CB.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Right now two, maybe even three of Powell, Varela, Janko, Lingard, Lawrence, Wilson, Bebe have a chance to make it. If I was the manager I would already put huge pressure on Rafael's RB spot... possibly even convert Valencia to wing of defense as he looks a way better footballer that way.

Lots of things depend how many transfers we planning before hiring mr. Van Gaal and after that. Wooden Ed is definitely trying to scoop Shaw and possibly Carvalho before the world cup. LVG may introduce his vision that may include a lot more youngsters, both from academy and other clubs.

Probably the first thing Louie will ask Giggs and Fergie will be who impressed the most from academy and reserves. It may be a very good times ahead for the youngest players looking for their chance.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Very difficult to predict but I reckon next season is a season too soon for most of them. Varela's ready to be Rafael's back-up but maybe it would be better for his development to play regularly somewhere else. Vermijl's another decent option at RB. Wilson might very well forgo the whole loan route and if so he'll get his chances. Lingard has come back bigger and stronger two summers in a row now and if the pattern repeats itself, he's got a chance. Powell and Zaha have the physique and talent but they need to buck up their ideas if they are to have a future at the club. Van Gaal is a potential heaven-sent for those two, I'm sure he's knocked sense into quite a few semi-lost causes in his time. Then there's Lawrence who seems to be making up for lost time like nobody's business. If he stays injury free then who knows what next season has in store for him?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Varela, Janko and Lingard seem like the ones closest right now and I don't think Lawrence, Wilson are too far behind. I'd love to see Powell get in but the forward positions are so crowded as it is and he's never played much in midfield even on loan.

Brightonian

Hard to say, but if LVG is given the job we may soon find out.

If we haven't got anyone at RB, LB or upfront then we are going to have to spend some serious dosh on top of the money for CM and CB.
Varela, Wilson and Keane/Thorpe, respectively. Although how you think we need anyone upfront I don't know, it's practically our strongest position - we won't be buying there whether Wilson gets game time or not.

LB and CM are the places where youngsters don't even come into the equation because we need instant first XI upgrades. Possibly LW too, although if we shift a number of our poor performers there (Young, Nani, Valencia), there might also be space for a look-in for someone like Lawrence or Lingard.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Powell surely. He has been used wrongly by Wigan. He is a midfielder.
Wilson will certainly be in the squad. Michael Keane what with our shortage in CB.
Lindgard coming back from a good loan spell.
I hope one or both of Pearson and Peraira will come up.

EDIT: forgot Lawrence who looks the business.

NoPace

Looking at position, style and formation, seems like Rothwell might have a shot as a 4-3-3 CM. Let`s say we only sign one CM, Giggs retires and Carrick is the DM, then I don`t think we can be sure that Van Gaal will prefer Fellaini, Cleverley, Fletcher or Anderson to a mobile, nifty young player in Rothwell who will do whatever Van Gaal says, gladly. Pearson a possible shout too as Carrick`s backup or as a shock starter at DM if Carrick is pushed up to play CM in the 4-3-3.

Varela would seem a great bet to be Rafael`s backup.

Wilson and Lawrence looked like they would benefit from a year on loan playing Prem football first. Haven`t seen much of Michael Keane.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Wilson, Keane, Varela and Lingard all have a chance of seeing a bit of game time, but how much is dictated by who we already have in their positions, who we sell and who we buy.

Powell hasn't shown anything like the form or attitude necessary to earn first-team game time. Another loan spell for him.
Wrong. His last couple of months have been poor and he was hampered by injuries. Prior to that he was our best player out on loan, by quite a distance imo.

Nickosaur

I'd agree with all the obvious candidates (Wilson, Lingard, M. Keane, Powell, Varela...next season may be too soon for Peireira, Pearson, Janko, Rothwell).

Reece James at LB looks a hell of a talent. I thought he was fantastic against Liverpool in the U21 semi final. Obviously Shaw could be our LB for the next 10 years if we do get him, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see James come into the squad in the next two years.

SalfordRed1960

Varela, Wilson and Keane/Thorpe, respectively. Although how you think we need anyone upfront I don't know, it's practically our strongest position - we won't be buying there whether Wilson gets game time or not.

LB and CM are the places where youngsters don't even come into the equation because we need instant first XI upgrades. Possibly LW too, although if we shift a number of our poor performers there (Young, Nani, Valencia), there might also be space for a look-in for someone like Lawrence or Lingard.
RVP is excellent, but injury prone and another year older. Rooney good, but inconsistent. Welbeck couldn't hit a barn door. Hernandez doesn't get much game time. So strong in reputation, not in doing the deeds. We have a number of youngsters coming through who play up front, the question is whether they will be competing for a striker role. I would argue that we need something different upfront, may a Aguero or Suarez type striker to complement what we already have.

Previously we had a stream of youth players at RB and LB. From what I have seen recently the current crop are not up to it and this is supported by the fact we have gone out and poached other academy players or have looked for experience. An example would be Luke Shaw, certainly not the finished product, but he does look good, and would be better than forking out a lot for an older player.

CM totally agree, this has been needed for years.

Wingers is an interesting one, if LVG can get the best out of Nani, with Adnan on the other side that is quite good. Not sure what is going to happen with Young or Valencia.

Boycott

Nick Powell is an odd case. He's done well at Wigan but he hasn't nailed down one position. In fact I wonder if he's a player who flatters to deceive. Sure his stats are good, most goals came before Christmas when he was their striker. But he seems very lethargic which will count against him as a midfielder and he isn't better than any of our attackers.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think Varela or Vermijl are the most certain. We have no back-up for Rafael and I can't see us messing with Smalling and co out there again. Its either Vermijl as back-up with Varela on loan or Varela as back-up and we sell Vermijl.

Depending on who we sign at CB Michael Keane could be our 4-5th choice there. Personally I'd prefer him to get a PL loan but with Vidic and most likely Ferdinand leaving we are a bit short and may need to keep him.

Again depends if we sign a winger but one of Lingard or Lawrence may be kept round as a back-up with the other going back out on loan.

Can't see Wilson going on loan yet so he'll be in around the side for cup matches and maybe the odd appearance against the weaker clubs.

Depending if the England U19s make it to the Euros some of the youngsters may not get to go on tour. If they go then Rothwell and Pearson may surprise us and show a good display in midfield. Both the exact type of midfielders I want in the first team. If England make it though then with Rothwell not making the recent squad maybe he won't make the tournament squad either and be left to go on tour. Either way it is likely a long shot for either. Probably stay first half of season in u21s and then out on loan. Andreas Pereira still has some way to go imo.

We don't really have space for Powell in the attacking spaces so a PL loan is probably best for him. Thorpe back out on loan and give Reece James a loan too.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Very difficult to predict but I reckon next season is a season too soon for most of them. Varela's ready to be Rafael's back-up but maybe it would be better for his development to play regularly somewhere else. Vermijl's another decent option at RB. Wilson might very well forgo the whole loan route and if so he'll get his chances. Lingard has come back bigger and stronger two summers in a row now and if the pattern repeats itself, he's got a chance. Powell and Zaha have the physique and talent but they need to buck up their ideas if they are to have a future at the club. Van Gaal is a potential heaven-sent for those two, I'm sure he's knocked sense into quite a few semi-lost causes in his time. Then there's Lawrence who seems to be making up for lost time like nobody's business. If he stays injury free then who knows what next season has in store for him?
Was just thinking the same thing. Both of them needs a tough coach like LVG to sort them out.

SambaBoy

I think we definitely should promote a RB.

We all recognise that our first choice RB, Rafael, is not the problem. When on form, he's one of the best in his position therefore signing a RB for £15m+ would be pointless as he would be on the bench most of the time and with our current squad problems, it would be a waste of our budget to spend on an area where our first choice is very good.

Take into account, we have both Varela and Janko who have looked very impressive & consistence in the reserves then one of them deserve a chance. It's hard to gauge reserve performances vs how they would perform on the big stage but they can only play against what is put infront of them. I believe Varela has proved himself and now a deserves a chance, he's solid defensively so that area is fine, he's also quite quick and while no Cafu, he is certaintly no Smalling going forward.

Janko, on the other hand, is an unpolished diamond. He has all the physical attributes, he's very very quick, and boasts a low centre of gravity which means no-one is going to dominate him one-on-one. Going forward, he's also very quick and can beat a man very easily. You could argue he's more of a winger than a RB. The problem may lie defensively as he can switch of easily and get sucked into areas where a full-back shouldn't be. Despite this, he's young and has not longer ago arrived so there is definitely room for improvement in that aspect.

For my money, Varela should be promoted to compete with Rafael. Never play Smalling RB and avoid Jones as well, he will still get 10-15 games which is ideal for a 21 year old. Janko should be loaned out to a Championship team, give him a full season of first team football and then bring him back to compete for a place or even convert him into a winger.

Brightonian

RVP is excellent, but injury prone and another year older. Rooney good, but inconsistent. Welbeck couldn't hit a barn door. Hernandez doesn't get much game time. So strong in reputation, not in doing the deeds. We have a number of youngsters coming through who play up front, the question is whether they will be competing for a striker role. I would argue that we need something different upfront, may a Aguero or Suarez type striker to complement what we already have.
That surely backs up my point, not yours. If such a quality striker - one of the fastest scoring in PL history and with a goals to starts ratio of roughly 2-1 - can't get game time, why on earth do you think we need to buy another?!

Plus, don't buy into this crap about Rooney being inconsistent. He's 'inconsistent' at being one of the top two players in the league. His weaker games are still better than anyone we could buy without a huge wad of money, and why would we spend that on such a strong position when so many others actually need attention?

Positions that need reinforcement of one kind or another more than CF: CM (two additions here), LB, RB, RW, CB. That's six spots in the team that need new blood more than our forward department. Arguably only #10 is stronger for us (unless you're going to protest that Rooney is 'inconsistent', Mata 'not good enough for Mourinho', Kagawa 'too lightweight' and Januzaj 'not ready'.)

Brightonian

I think we definitely should promote a RB.

We all recognise that our first choice RB, Rafael, is not the problem. When on form, he's one of the best in his position therefore signing a RB for £15m+ would be pointless as he would be on the bench most of the time and with our current squad problems, it would be a waste of our budget to spend on an area where our first choice is very good.

Take into account, we have both Varela and Janko who have looked very impressive & consistence in the reserves then one of them deserve a chance. It's hard to gauge reserve performances vs how they would perform on the big stage but they can only play against what is put infront of them. I believe Varela has proved himself and now a deserves a chance, he's solid defensively so that area is fine, he's also quite quick and while no Cafu, he is certaintly no Smalling going forward.

Janko, on the other hand, is an unpolished diamond. He has all the physical attributes, he's very very quick, and boasts a low centre of gravity which means no-one is going to dominate him one-on-one. Going forward, he's also very quick and can beat a man very easily. You could argue he's more of a winger than a RB. The problem may lie defensively as he can switch of easily and get sucked into areas where a full-back shouldn't be. Despite this, he's young and has not longer ago arrived so there is definitely room for improvement in that aspect.

For my money, Varela should be promoted to compete with Rafael. Never play Smalling RB and avoid Jones as well, he will still get 10-15 games which is ideal for a 21 year old. Janko should be loaned out to a Championship team, give him a full season of first team football and then bring him back to compete for a place or even convert him into a winger.
Excellent post, agree with pretty much everything there. Varela looks ready to be an understudy, and it's important that we let Jones and Smalling concentrate on their actual position, especially now they'll (hopefully) be first choice there along with Evans.

Janko, for me, is never going to be a full-back. Like Valencia, he's a winger with the strength, pace and tackling ability to look ok there but he's not got the positional awareness or defensive nous to be a specialised RB. I also don't think he's quite ready for a loan yet - despite the sometimes over-the-top praise he gets from the MUTV team, he looks to me like he has a lot more learning to do yet. At the moment he's one-dimensional enough that most Championship level players with any experience will be able to shut him out of games, and he'll end up stagnating on a bench somewhere.

He's still only 19, I think, so I'd look to keep him in the U21s for another full year and not loan him until the start of 2015-16, unless he shows some very dramatic improvement before then.

SalfordRed1960

That surely backs up my point, not yours. If such a quality striker - one of the fastest scoring in PL history and with a goals to starts ratio of roughly 2-1 - can't get game time, why on earth do you think we need to buy another?!

Plus, don't buy into this crap about Rooney being inconsistent. He's 'inconsistent' at being one of the top two players in the league. His weaker games are still better than anyone we could buy without a huge wad of money, and why would we spend that on such a strong position when so many others actually need attention?

Positions that need reinforcement of one kind or another more than CF: CM (two additions here), LB, RB, RW, CB. That's six spots in the team that need new blood more than our forward department. Arguably only #10 is stronger for us (unless you're going to protest that Rooney is 'inconsistent', Mata 'not good enough for Mourinho', Kagawa 'too lightweight' and Januzaj 'not ready'.)
You might be looking at it slightly different. When Rooney plays lone striker, he is not disciplined. He moves away from the striker role and nullifies our attacking options. As a player exceptional, but for me not the guy to be the upfront man we rely on. As a creative player on his day, definite one of the best.

ghagua

M. Keane and Vermijl might be able to break through. Van Gaal would have seen Vermijl playing in the Netherlands and should have an idea if he is good enough. Wilson might also get some games, but that depends on what we do with Hernandez this summer.

Cathy Ferguson

Hopefully Januzaj will continue his improvement and cement a role in our team.

Besides him, I don't think anyone of our youngsters will make a major impact next season mainly because the quality is not there or to a lesser degree that competition is stiff.

Wilson might be the most talented one (Januzaj excluded) but he will face tough competition and it is probably a year or two too early for him, he should go out on loan.

I doubt that Powell has the quality that is needed. Lingard might be recalled and used as a squad player at LW while Lawrence will be sent out on loan.

Varela and M Keane are fortunate in the sense that competition is not too hard and that our defenders suffer a lot of injuries so they might turn out to be important squad players for us.

But when you consider that we will only play around 45 games next season it is probably wiser to send most of our youngsters out on loan. We haven decent cover at RB in Valencia and Jones while we will surely buy a CB.

The problem with our squad is not quanity it is the quality and we will look to the transfer market and buy top players to rectify that.

Brightonian

You might be looking at it slightly different. When Rooney plays lone striker, he is not disciplined. He moves away from the striker role and nullifies our attacking options. As a player exceptional, but for me not the guy to be the upfront man we rely on. As a creative player on his day, definite one of the best.
Ah ok, that may be fair then. True, as brilliant as I think he is we shouldn't be relying on him as a #9 because it's not really his best position, despite some people always calling for him to play there. But I still think RVP, Hernandez, Welbeck and maybe Wilson make that position more than strong enough to not need reinforcement, at least until we've dealt with almost every other weakness in our squad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm not too sure Keane is a Manchester United level centre half anymore. I mean, I haven't written him off, I just don't have the same conviction. He doesn't seem a good enough footballer I think, and seems awkward on the ball. Right now, I'm leaning towards him definitely having a decent PL career, but not necessarily a United one.

I think Varela is the most ready. Janko is basically a baby Valencia, and isn't a particularly great footballer either I don't think. Of the central midfielders I like Rothwell, and also believe Pereira can make it as an 8, not as sure about as a 10 though.