Who will our "star" signing be this year

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Alisson, Van Dijk, Keita, Diaz were all £50m and above. With Van Dijk and Alisson alone costing £147m. When Liverpool signed them two, that is when the performances on the pitch really started to pick up.
VVD, Alisson and Keita cost above £50m but Diaz didn't. And of those three £50m+ signings two are arguably the best in their position in the world right now, which is what I mean by signings at that level needing to be exceptional.

Meanwhile Salah, Mane, Firmino, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Thiago, Konate and Jota all cost between £20-49m, with absolute bargains like Robertson and Matip cheaper again. That's how you build a team

Meanwhile our £50m+ signings were Sancho, Maguire, Bruno, Fred, Lukaku, Pogba, and Di Maria. Several of whom cost around as much or more than VVD, the most expensive signing of their rebuild. Enough said really. Hell, even AWB only just missed out being included on that £50m+ list.

A9X SJ

Pop down into the Championship & cherry pick the best talents from there?
Few at Forest, Liverpool are about to snap up the lad from Fulham for next to nothing

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Frenkie de Jong
In every game i've watched of him, he has seemed to not run enough. I'm highlighting this as a weakness because as everyone know having an engine isn't always a requirement but you can't really get on without it anymore unless you're at the level of Pirlo and Xavi, and none of these midfielders are. He is the right profile, at least in terms of some attributes but I'm worried he'll become something like a direct Pogba replacement and that's not what we need.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I'd rather with the fee it would take to make a star signing, we invest in players that work together as a unit and we start looking like some kind of cohesive team next season.

Nickosaur

I'll take a dozen 'who the feck is that?' signings over 2 or 3 star signings.

soapythecat

I hope there isn’t a star signing. A handful of industrious and hard working ballers is what we need.
We need to move away from our ridiculous, scatter gun approach to transfers and buy players who suit our new style under ETH.
I’d wager that our need to replace a wedge of players walking out of the door this summer would indicate we won’t be paying big for one player.

DON’T PANIC ™

We need to find another Vidic, Evra, Nani etc. Decent players making an impression abroad that can be brought in for modest fees without huge fanfares and blockbusting contracts. Most importantly we have to sign players that ETH wants to suit his system rather than high profile players, just to demonstrate Utd's spending power. I fear the likes of Rice, if he came to Utd, might end up being another Maguire. We need a striker as well but striker signings always tend to be high profile and massive fees if they are established goal scorers.

Hopefully, we can get our business done without the weeks and weeks of preparing bids we have been subjected to in recent years.

bringbackbebe

I don't think we'll be going in for stars & the corollary to that is I don't think stars will be interested in joining us at this stage.

If I see the way Rangnick/ETH set things up:
1) Purchase of 3-4 low profile players under the age of 23, who have plenty of developmental years ahead - players most likely posters in CAF have never seen play
2) Purchase of 2-3 established, hard working team players
3) Plenty of promotions from within the academy/reserves (Mejbri, Garnacho, Shoretire, Garner, Williams etc) who will replace the current old lot of backups (Mata, Matic, Lingard, Cavani)
4) Retention of Cristiano Ronaldo at all costs as a way of attracting talent. Plenty of young players see him as an idol & would sacrifice many things to play alongside him.
5) Sale of players like unreliable players Bailly, Luke Shaw, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka

Secured
Promote Up
Potential Sale
Release on Free
Fringe/Loan Out
David de Gea​
Hannibal Mejbri​
Marcus Rashford​
Nemanja Matić​
Tom Heaton​
Victor Lindelöf​
Shola Shoretire​
Aaron Wan-Bissaka​
Edinson Cavani​
Lee Grant​
Cristiano Ronaldo​
Brandon Williams​
Luke Shaw​
Jesse Lingard​
Axel Tuanzebe​
Anthony Elanga​
James Garner​
Eric Bailly​
Juan Mata​
Facundo Pellistri​
Scott McTominay​
Alejandro Garnacho​
Harry Maguire​
Paul Pogba​
Amad Diallo​
Jadon Sancho​
Anthony Martial​
Phil Jones​
Dean Henderson​
Andreas Pereira​
Alex Telles​
Tahith Chong​
Diogo Dalot​
Donny van de Beek​
Raphaël Varane​
Teden Mengi​
Bruno Fernandes​
Fred​
Mason Greenwood

croadyman

I hope we stay away from the big name signings for the foreseeable future. Focus instead to hungry players willing to adapt and fight for the club, rather than come for a cushty paycheque
Yeah feel exactly the same

croadyman

I do think it will be hard for the club to resist making big commercial signings going forward, shirt sales are a huge part of our revenue. Doesn't mean we can't find big names who fit into the new manager's system though. Just no more Sanchez or Pogba type signings please.
Yeah but no more of the flash announcements because it makes the egos way too big