Who will win the World Cup ?

Who will win World Cup 2014 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
:lol: I thought I'd got a "darker" horse in the Argies, but they're second favourite!

Why are people so confident? As a team, they've never really been anything special.

Brophs

The One and Only
Load of pisstakers voting for England. For shame.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Have a feeling, Italy will be there again.
Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy, the 4 semifinalists, then anything can happen.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Have a feeling, Italy will be there again.
Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy, the 4 semifinalists, then anything can happen.
Can't happen. Italy have to face Brazil or Spain in the quarters, or else one or two or all three would be out by then anyway.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
My first thought was Brazil would do it - for all their flaws on paper, that performance during the Confederates is almost enough to convince me the setting will lift them to another level altogether. That said, looking at their likely opponents after the groups they will be faced with tough opposition throughout the knock-out stages - will the pressure get to them? Will it get to Neymar as the golden child of the country?

I usually throw my support behind Germany after England inevitably disappoint and get knocked-out, but I don't see them winning it if they face Spain again, though they might be a good opponent to stop Brazil. Argentina I haven't seen enough of in their current guise - outstanding attackers when playing for different clubs, but can they work together? I'll probably play it safe and go for Spain - the talent they have is ridiculous, but also I think they've got the ability to get threw tough games without playing well.

Very promising for the tournament to have so much potential quality on display :drool:

Last edited:

Mersault

I don't see a clear favorite. Brazil's squad is underwhelming but they're at home (which could also exert too much pressure), Argentina are so so (but it would be funny to see them win in Brazil), Spain are fading, although they are still one of the best teams, Italy, Germany, England are all OK but nothing special, Belgium are super interesting given the size of their population but they lack depth (and Benteke will be a miss for them)...

I wouldn't bet on any team at the moment.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
:lol: I thought I'd got a "darker" horse in the Argies, but they're second favourite!

Why are people so confident? As a team, they've never really been anything special.
Because it's time messi showed how good he can be during the World Cup, and I have full confidence in him that he'll get them there. They have a shit defence but that attack, and messi, can beat anyone.

lopan

Germany are my favorites, depends on how well they deal with the heat

Sent fra min D5503 via Tapatalk

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I can't look past Brazil. No team from outside South America has ever won a World Cup which has been held in South America.

RustyS

I voted for Brazil. It is more who I want to win rather than who I expect to win although playing at home and having a decent squad must put them among the favourites.

buckooo1978

haha

so almost as many think England will win it as Spain, Germany or Argentina

what have you been drinking....

red_hatz

Everyone seems to think it will be brazil but I'm not quite so sure, columbia could go far and I think theyre the second strongest of the south american teams. Argentina just seem very unbalanced to me
I think portugal could be a good shout, ronaldo has truly been excellent this season, if theres one player than can carry his nation through it will be him
Germany have the best chance of all the european sides imo, well balanced side and this generation has to achieve it eventually

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Every record is to be broken.
Yeah I do agree with that but their is a reason that the record is there is the first place. After watching the Confederations Cup last summer I feel that they will be too strong on their own turf.

Moriarty

Can't see past Spain myself. It'll be the last hurrah for many of them but they've got the ability to beat anyone on their day. Wouldn't they be the first side to successfully defend a World Cup?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Brazil, the sheer weight of expectation around them and the atmosphere at their games will be unstoppable.

bucky

Can't see past Spain myself. It'll be the last hurrah for many of them but they've got the ability to beat anyone on their day. Wouldn't they be the first side to successfully defend a World Cup?
Italy and Brazil have already done it.

Siorac

No votes for Colombia yet? I think they're going to surprise a few people.

They beat a very confident Belgium 0-2 without breaking a sweat a few months ago. If Falcao can get fit in time, they are the dark horse for me.

Didn't they also top the group of SA? Or did I dream that?
They didn't qualify for the 2010 tournament so yeah, that was just a dream.

buckooo1978

Its a shame Falcao is out

as a few have said I think the atmosphere will really elevate Brazil to a level beyond their capability and they have a solid defence and midfield - a lot of pressure will be on Neymar who has had a fairly mixed season to get the goals

ridiculous that the best Brazilian striker is playing for Spain

Fellaini's Afro

Supports
Valencia
Since the draw I've had Argentina as favourites due to the talent from midfle to front combined with the tournament being held in South America. However the back five is not the strongest whilst I don't rate Gago who is likely to start. If they got a couple injuries to the likes of Di Maria, Zabaleta, Garay, Messi or Aguero would badly hurt them as replacements are not the strongest.

Strats

Putin will have a word about it. Expect Russia to smack Brazil in the final.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It will be interesting to see how Brazil cope with the pressure.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Spain.

Brazil have a squad that flatters to decieve. I don't rate their defense, their goalkeeper hasn't been good for 4 years, Neymar has gone off the boil as has Oscar two players who are vastly important to them and they have Fred as a striker, with Hulk, a hit and miss player on the wings.

Spain go into this tournament with a bit of pressure off their shoulders. They still the perfect balance of youth and experience. Their defense is alright, their midfielders are the best in the tournament, and they have decent wide players and a player who's coming off a great season in Costa.

Skills

Snitch
The Germans are due one, they seem to win one every 20 years or so it's probably their go now after 24 years. Plus Italy ended their world cup drought after 24 years (1982-2006) and Brazil did the same (1970-1994). Germany are third on that list.

NoPace

In order, but tiered:

Tier 1 - Favorites (Only winning it is a win)
Recent Examples: Spain 2010, Germany 2010
Spain, Brazil
-Home team, and the best squad and winner of the last three. At gunpoint, I'd go with Spain.

Tier 2 - A Good Chance (Losing in the finals would be an excellent result, though)
Recent Examples: Netherlands 2010, Germany's not so talented 2002 finalists
Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium
-Originally wasn't going to include Belgium, but 4 talented CB's across the back and Hazard, Lukaku is a great start to a team that could shock a favorite or two on the counter.
-Most likely the winner comes from this group. I'd go for France, myself, since their CB's are capable of short-term brilliance, they have an athletic and talented group of CM's and Ribery-Benzema-Griezmann at least looks good on paper. Easy group, too.

Tier 3 - A Chance (but Semis would be a win)
Recent Examples: Uruguay 2010, South Korea 2002
Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, Switzerland, England, Croatia, Ivory Coast, Ecuador, Japan, Russia
-Any of the first 3 South American teams could actually win it, along with the Swiss too, who have a great manager, did well in qualifying, have an incredible defensive record over the last 2 World Cups, a midfield that plays together for Napoli, a fresh Shaqiri, but no striker. Give them Chapuisat and a time machine and I'd have them between Portugal and Belgium in tier 2.

Tier 4 - Could theoretically pull a Greece/Denmark (QF loss to the Champions where they are the better team is their realistic but optmistic limit)
Recent Examples: Paraguay 2010 (took Spain to the limit), USA 2002 (outplayed Germany in their QF loss)
Korea, USA, Mexico, Bosnia, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Greece
-Bosnia have enough top-end talent for Tier 3, but I think attacking-oriented teams have a bit less of a chance of a cinderella run in the knockout
-The African teams have decent front sixes, but ugly backlines. Same for Korea. All of them have the midfield quality to outplay a much better team once or twice (like Russia's teams have at times in recent years), but you can't go too far with a hideous backline.

Tier 5 - Under no circumstances whatsoever are they even making the semis.
Recent Examples: New Zealand 2010 (no losses) Trinidad 2006 (did well)
-Algeria, Costa Rica, Honduras, Australia, Iran