Who will you be supporting?

SpyLuke10

Australia, until we get knocked out, then probably just the teams with Man United players in them who are key players. eg. France to watch Pogba, Belgium to watch Lukaku, England to watch Lionel Jesse, etc. I'd love to see Messi do a Maradona 86 and have an unreal world cup, and if he was doing something like that then I would probably end up barracking for Argentina.

Will also have a bit of interest in Serbia, mainly cos I'd like to watch SMS a bit since I've never watch him play before, just seen highlights. Matic too.

EDIT: If an underdog team gets really far, ie. any nation where even just qualifying for the world cup is an achievement for them (like Iceland or Egypt or Australia before we moved from Oceania to Asia for qualification), I think I could end up barracking for them, it all depends, I suppose I'll pick another country and stick with them for the rest of the world cup after we go out (most likely).

Last edited:

KTP_ZA

Germany
Iceland
Any African team but preference for Egypt

Todd

As an American of Italian descent, this is the most depressing World Cup of my conscious lifetime (first one for me was '94).

I just want to see good football and see the world's best players shine. Would like to be able to watch Brazil, Spain, Germany, France, Argentina, Belgium and Portugal as often as I can.

RedDevilRoshi

Brazil & Spain

Also will cheer on Sweden too as got them in the World Cup sweepstake at work.

And finally of course, anyone that plays against England. Watching the English media meltdown when they get knocked out is a thing of beauty :D

Solo Toure

England (even though they suck all hope and joy out of you because we are utter shite)

Sadly the Dutch are a shambles so rooting for Egypt this year. Salah to lift the World Cup ?

drdoityourself

Iceland, I'm Icelandic so it comes natural to me to support that team, y'know.

Those of us who are older remember the days when Iceland wasn't making these big tournament. Then it was always Holland and Brazil, was a massive Ronaldo fanchild growing up . Holland aren't here so I'll pretend Belgium are the same thing.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Australia for the very brief period they are in the competition, then just watching as a neutral.

iamkiranks

My country hasn't qualified, maybe won't for another 3-4 decades lol. Being a United, EPL fan, can't help but be bothered about the England team. So I'll be supporting them (will probably go out after R16). Also like Brazil and France but think Germany will win it this year though.

Deechii

Portugal ( want Ronaldo to win it )
England ( being a Manc )
Brazil ( have T-shirt )

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Don't understand this. I don't get the same impression from England.
England are basically the Lannisters and we are house Stark, it’s just the done thing. Its basically the equivelant of a United fan watching any Liverpool game. It’s also said tongue and cheek. I’m sure lots of people do it in jest.

flappyjay

Spain because De Gea deserves a big trophy other than that all the African countries and England

debiler

England are basically the Lannisters and we are house Stark, it’s just the done thing. (...)
I wonder, where does Germany fit into this analogy? It hurts a bit to admit it, but I bet the rest of the world sees us as some kind of White Walkers, don't they? Ruthless and methodical. And we also tore down the wall, so there's that.

Andersons Dietician

I wonder, where does Germany fit into this analogy? It hurts a bit to admit it, but I bet the rest of the world sees us as some kind of White Walkers, don't they? Ruthless and methodical. And we also tore down the wall, so there's that.
I’m not sure, I wouldn’t want to speak on the behalf of England but I get the impression Germany is to England what England is to Scotland. I think in terms of football there is an overall appreciation in Scotland to you guys being good at penalty shoot outs and beating England when it matters. So I’m just not sure where that would fit in to a GOT analogy.

I suppose white walkers works. Come tournament time you show up and ruthlessly go about your buisness.

Edit: just checked and the current javelin Olympic champion is a German so yeah we’ll go with that.

Cosmik Debris

Germany. Stuck £100 on them to win it. Hoping to see a good tournament and one hopefully not marred by hooligans.

Big Andy

Bloke
I'll actively cheer on England in the World Cup/Euros, but the rest of the time, I couldn't give a feck about qualifiers or friendlies...

R'hllor

Because Serbia is in, will be on side of Denmark, in 1992 they got on EURO instead of Yugoslavia so feck it why not them.

Loublaze

ATLien
Anyone but England. Wouldn't mind seeing Messi win it but it would be nice to see a nation outside the traditional giants win this (its nice to dream)

buchansleftleg

As an Englishman with Irish heritage, who has been constantly bewildered at the incompetence of the FA....I will watch England games but have absolutely nothing invested in them being a success and am expecting the usual ineffective performances.

While Wembley was being built and the England team played their games at Old Trafford I grew to find most England fans to be boorish idiots who follow a club like Tranmere or Scunthorpe and have all the footballing sophistication of a wet plastic bag on a windy day.

I know there are some great England fans out there but the mentality of the press pack that follows England is now locked on appealing to the idiots that threatened David Beckham with lynching or issue death threats to overseas officials if something goes wrong.

These Jingoistic and violent attitudes always make it difficult to not be embarrassed by either the fans or the press at a major tournament.

I'm a United fan first and foremost and value playing in Europe, being open and friendly to teams from around the world, so I will probably become a fan of the team playing the best football, or a team of plucky underdogs doing better than expected.

So I will most likely be a fan of Mexico or Iceland by the end of the tournament.