Who's attainable if we were to spend big and improve our squad?

ROFLUTION

So which players do people actually consider attainable if we were to improve our squad?

There'll be plenty of talk about buying the next Messi™, but let's face it: The biggest stars are really hard to attain considering our tough season and oil-clubs like PSG. Just think back to when Woodie spammed the Bayern e-mail inbox about Thomas Müller. The price didn't matter. He wasn't attainable.

For me some of the big ones:
- Eriksen (Contract till 2020) (Still Levy though)
- Alderweireld (Contract till this summer)
- Sandro? (Throw in a lot of cash)
- ???

(I dont consider Maguire an improvement. And not the next big thing after having watched Leicester this season).

Keep in mind the criterias are improvement and attainable.

Sambob

Attainable to me means two things, that the club would sell the player, and that the player would want to join us....in this state I dont think there are many high quality players that on this basis are attainable.

Murray3007

So which players do people actually consider attainable if we were to improve our squad?

There'll be plenty of talk about buying the next Messi™, but let's face it: The biggest stars are really hard to attain considering our tough season and oil-clubs like PSG. Just think back to when Woodie spammed the Bayern e-mail inbox about Thomas Müller. The price didn't matter. He wasn't attainable.

For me some of the big ones:
- Eriksen (Contract till 2020) (Still Levy though)
- Alderweireld (Contract till this summer)
- Sandro? (Throw in a lot of cash)
- ???

(I dont consider Maguire an improvement. And not the next big thing after having watched Leicester this season).

Keep in mind the criterias are improvement and attainable.
weird you say this against Maguire but seem to have missed Toby and Sandro who have hardly been quality this season

Shark

@NotShark
Attainable to me means two things, that the club would sell the player, and that the player would want to join us....in this state I dont think there are many high quality players that on this basis are attainable.
There are always obtainable elite players with the money and wages this club offers. That’s not a problem, yet.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
People have been saying that since the day Fergie retired and yet we've consistently brought in top players and won transfer battles with other big clubs for players.

our problem isn't attracting the players we want, it's a lack of any coherent transfer policy. Arguably one of the biggest problems since SAF retired is just going for whatever big names become available without considering how they'll actually fit in.

Bwuk

Dembele is wanting out of Barcelona. Apparently has a bit of an attitude issue, but the talent is undeniable. Would massively improve the attack. Malcom could be worth a look too, was highly touted but it hasn't really worked out for him yet at Barca. Either would improve the attack.

AbduRaheem

Like to see a player like Hazard and Griezmann come to our squad

Sambob

Two responses to my post, neither offering a single name. Our big target in the summer was Maguire, he signed a long term contract. Alderwiereld - still at his club, Bale - still at his club, Varane - still at his club. There is a long list but four names is enough to make the point.

Mourinho gave a list of his targets to the club and they werent signed. We pay the highest wages, so it wasnt that, we offer some of the best money, and so it wasnt that.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There is a big difference between what ideally needs to happen on the transfer front and what is actually likely to happen. Ideally we need a better CF, 2 CBs, a RW and a CDM, maybe even a no.10 if we abandon the 3 in midfield.

Now we all know we need a better CF than Lukaku if we are to win the league, but there are 2 problems with that. One that the club made a massive investment on him less than 2 years ago and to sell him for a loss (can't see anyone paying more than 75 million for him) will not go down well with the board I think. You couple that with the fact that Lukaku seems happy here and won't be chomping at bits to leave. This makes the acquisition of a new CF tricky and this is even before we get into the question of who can we get that will provide us the quality we need. Timo Werner is one name that ticks plenty of the requisite boxes but will Leipzig sell him? The likes of Icardi or Higuain are not what we need as we need and their having never played in the PL is a big negative. Lewandowski might be available next summer but do we buy a CF who's arguably on the decline, top class though he has been for all these years.

Of our current CBs ideally Rojo, Jones and Bailly should be offloaded and replaced with 2 quality CBs and promoting one or both of TFM and Tuanzebe. Selling Rojo is probably the easiest and should be easily achieved, but Jones and Baillly both present different questions. Will the club let go of an English CB in this market for free? And if we give him a new contract then we may end up in a situation where nobody wants to pay what we will demand we end up stuck with him. Bailly was touted as our future star CB when he was bought, but barring a few impressive performances he's been disappointing. He's not gonna develop much without playing so will the club take a hit on another big investment and let him go? As far as their replacements are concerned ideally we should be buying an experienced top CB in the 27-30 age range and another who's already well established but still got years in front of him, in the 23-26 age range. Alderweireld and Skrinar are 2 names that fit the bill but there's no guarantee we can persuade Spurs or Inter to sell. Signing a well established CB isn't going to be easy given the dearth of top quality CBs these days and signing the likes of De Ligt or Milenkovic doesn't really solve our immediate need of an experienced leader at the back.

We have all been crying for a RW for years and though there are a number of young prospects available like Chiesa, Pulisic, Bailey etc we would first need to make space in our squad for a forward player. We currently have 6 forwards for 3 positions, having 7 would be overkill. Of the players who can play on the wings Rashford and Lingard are unlikely to be sold given their connection to the club, we would be mad to sell Martial and provided he wants to stay here its a no brainer. That leaves Sanchez and Mata, the latter of who's contract expires in the summer. But Jose has already spoken of how he would like the club to give Mata a new contract, how he's a fantastic individual to have at the club and in fairness he has been on of our decent performers this season. Sanchez has been hugely disappointing and there have been a few rumblings of his leaving lately but seriously how are we going to shift him at these wages?

In midfield its a common consensus we need a CDM who's much more mobile and quick at linking attacks than Matic. The likes of De Jong and Neves are 2 top prospects and we really ought to be trying to get one of them, Neves is probably more attainable out of the 2.

Then there is the question of the manager. If Jose is still here next season will he want 3 of his signings in Lukaku, Bailly and Matic sold? Especially Lukaku and Matic whom he trusts immensely and usually plays whenever possible.

Its easy to say we need this or that player but in reality the situation, taking into consideration our business model of profit based growth and the improbability of us letting multiple players leave for free or on a massive loss, the situation is quite complicated.

Johan07

Lewandowski, Aldeweireld and a young proven DM like Saul Niguez would be a good start this summer. We need to replace our central line or at least begin with it. Maybe one or two more external prospects, hand Tuanzebe a place in the squad and I would be satisfied.
And, yeah: change the manager also.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Ndombele just seems like a perfect fit honestly.

Big,powerful,at his best when he can have space to start counter-attack, shines vs teams like City/PSG who play possession football.

He's a perfect fit and he can become a little more of a hard worker then he'd be a perfect Jose player too.

AlexUTD

Toby since his contract runs out this summer and he is needed badly in the back. (our best defender isnt even playing, Bailly)

The biggest transfer to improve our squad would be a manager with a less negative playstyle and with some charisma (positive).

Johan07

There is a big difference between what ideally needs to happen on the transfer front and what is actually likely to happen. Ideally we need a better CF, 2 CBs, a RW and a CDM, maybe even a no.10 if we abandon the 3 in midfield.

Now we all know we need a better CF than Lukaku if we are to win the league, but there are 2 problems with that. One that the club made a massive investment on him less than 2 years ago and to sell him for a loss (can't see anyone paying more than 75 million for him) will not go down well with the board I think. You couple that with the fact that Lukaku seems happy here and won't be chomping at bits to leave. This makes the acquisition of a new CF tricky and this is even before we get into the question of who can we get that will provide us the quality we need. Timo Werner is one name that ticks plenty of the requisite boxes but will Leipzig sell him? The likes of Icardi or Higuain are not what we need as we need and their having never played in the PL is a big negative. Lewandowski might be available next summer but do we buy a CF who's arguably on the decline, top class though he has been for all these years.

Of our current CBs ideally Rojo, Jones and Bailly should be offloaded and replaced with 2 quality CBs and promoting one or both of TFM and Tuanzebe. Selling Rojo is probably the easiest and should be easily achieved, but Jones and Baillly both present different questions. Will the club let go of an English CB in this market for free? And if we give him a new contract then we may end up in a situation where nobody wants to pay what we will demand we end up stuck with him. Bailly was touted as our future star CB when he was bought, but barring a few impressive performances he's been disappointing. He's not gonna develop much without playing so will the club take a hit on another big investment and let him go? As far as their replacements are concerned ideally we should be buying an experienced top CB in the 27-30 age range and another who's already well established but still got years in front of him, in the 23-26 age range. Alderweireld and Skrinar are 2 names that fit the bill but there's no guarantee we can persuade Spurs or Inter to sell. Signing a well established CB isn't going to be easy given the dearth of top quality CBs these days and signing the likes of De Ligt or Milenkovic doesn't really solve our immediate need of an experienced leader at the back.

We have all been crying for a RW for years and though there are a number of young prospects available like Chiesa, Pulisic, Bailey etc we would first need to make space in our squad for a forward player. We currently have 6 forwards for 3 positions, having 7 would be overkill. Of the players who can play on the wings Rashford and Lingard are unlikely to be sold given their connection to the club, we would be mad to sell Martial and provided he wants to stay here its a no brainer. That leaves Sanchez and Mata, the latter of who's contract expires in the summer. But Jose has already spoken of how he would like the club to give Mata a new contract, how he's a fantastic individual to have at the club and in fairness he has been on of our decent performers this season. Sanchez has been hugely disappointing and there have been a few rumblings of his leaving lately but seriously how are we going to shift him at these wages?

In midfield its a common consensus we need a CDM who's much more mobile and quick at linking attacks than Matic. The likes of De Jong and Neves are 2 top prospects and we really ought to be trying to get one of them, Neves is probably more attainable out of the 2.

Then there is the question of the manager. If Jose is still here next season will he want 3 of his signings in Lukaku, Bailly and Matic sold? Especially Lukaku and Matic whom he trusts immensely and usually plays whenever possible.

Its easy to say we need this or that player but in reality the situation, taking into consideration our business model of profit based growth and the improbability of us letting multiple players leave for free or on a massive loss, the situation is quite complicated.
Good post.
Two things:
i) I think we will not and should not get rid of/replace more than two CBs in the next two windows combined.
ii) I dont see Lukaku hanging around if we go for another CF that would make him second choice or even him having to fight for his place. This is just my impression, but he does not seem to be a player that accepts the bench. Not just for what happened at Chelsea.
I believe that the major investments next summer needs to be replacements/serious competition for Lukaku and Matic. It seems like a given that we will invest in one or two CBs over the winter and summer window so I am taking that for granted.

Andersons Dietician

In theory we probably do have the financial power to buy someone like an Mbappe, Neymar and so on at whatever extreme buy out clause they have so it’s hard to say anyone is untouchable, it’s just would the Glazers put that much out to get that sort of player. I mean look9ng at our squad we have other areas that need looking at before we put the cherry on the top.

There are plenty of players out there who aren’t playing for 1 of the current elite. We don’t need to be trying to buy from Real and so on. Right now guys like.

Ruben Neves (I’d imagine somewhere around 50-60 mil). Wolves
NDombele. ( I’d imagine somewhere in the same ball park). Lyon
Frankie De Jong ( again probably around 50). Ajax

Skriniar (Guessing but if someone was serious 70 mil.). Inter
DeLigt. 50-60. Ajax
Koulibaly 70-90. Napoli
Pavard. 30-40 Stuttgart

Ousmane Dembele Just because if he is available you buy. Barca
Memphis Depay. Sure we have a buy back. Lyon
Timo Werner. RB Leizpeg

Point I’m trying to make is there are lots of good players out there who aren’t playing for the royal elite that we could get our hands on that would vastly improve our team in terms of quality. There are loads I can think of that I haven’t even mentioned and I’m sure many others can produce lists of good players playing somewhere who could probably make the grade.

The problem is someone needs to step in and figure out what direction the club wants to go and build towards that with a clear plan and ideas on who we need to lead us in that direction and the players to get us there as people are right when they say our transfer buisness apart from that 1 LVG summer and Jose summer has seemed quite scattergunned.

reddaz71

When we finish 9th at the end of the season its completely irrelevant who we sign and who the next manager is because the bigwigs who landed us in this mess the glazers and woodward will unfortunately still be there!

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Good post.
Two things:
i) I think we will not and should not get rid of/replace more than two CBs in the next two windows combined.
ii) I dont see Lukaku hanging around if we go for another CF that would make him second choice or even him having to fight for his place. This is just my impression, but he does not seem to be a player that accepts the bench. Not just for what happened at Chelsea.
I believe that the major investments next summer needs to be replacements/serious competition for Lukaku and Matic. It seems like a given that we will invest in one or two CBs over the winter and summer window so I am taking that for granted.
If Jose is still the manager then I cannot see him wanting Lukaku sold and the board will probably not want to sanction the sale of another CF unless Lukaku leaves, so in the end it would probably result in Lukaku staying here.

I agree that we will probably buy one CB in January and one in the summer. Regarding not wanting to replace more than 2 CBs well it depends on how highly you rate Bailly I guess. I don't rate him much so I wouldn't mind him sold.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
De Ligt.

Seems ready to move on. While we can't pretend to be no.1 any more, we're still a big club and should interest him.

There's another part to this though which is dead wood and getting Ed onside (which is all about the ££££). So also sell Rojo and either of Jones/Bailly to free up room, cash and wage bill.

youmeletsfly

De Ligt.

Seems ready to move on. While we can't pretend to be no.1 any more, we're still a big club and should interest him.

There's another part to this though which is dead wood and getting Ed onside (which is all about the ££££). So also sell Rojo and either of Jones/Bailly to free up room, cash and wage bill.
DIdn't he say in an interview that he would prefer to go to Barca?

ZAGREB RED

I have to wonder how many top class and/or up and coming talented young players would actually view going to United as a chance to better themselves and/or would want to play for Mourinho. I think money would be the greater motivating factor here rather than trophies and a successful career move.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Exactly who we need is attainable( for lots of money of course). Koulibaly and Skriniar for best defensive pair in PL, Alex Sandro and Dembele.

Bigger problem is how to sell our average players who earn over 100k per week? Big clubs don't want them, smaller clubs can't pay their salary.

De gea- Dalot, Koulibaly, Skriniar, Sandro- Fred, Pogba, Herrera- Martial, Dembele- Alexis. Squad for PL title

Murray3007

suppose every player could be avaible if were are going to splash the cash in Jan

CB - De Ligt, hardest position just now as don't see much leaders about.
LB - Tierney, can also cover RB when struggling.
CM - Neves, Cook, Doucoure
FW - Zaha, Wilson,

Would always prefer players who play in the premiership as seemed to serve SAF well but ultimately more costly due to so much money in the premiership now.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
When we finish 9th at the end of the season its completely irrelevant who we sign and who the next manager is because the bigwigs who landed us in this mess the glazers and woodward will unfortunately still be there!
We won't finish in 9th.
Final placings are not confirmed in November, but in May. Let's wait to see how things transpire before accepting defeat. Show some fight, man!

Schneckerl

De Ligt isn't realisticlly attainable
Skrinar or Koulibaly would be great

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Ryan Sessegnon will be an unbelievable right-winger someday

Also you underestimate Maguire somethat; he's 40x better than the jaded version of himself we've seen this season, his current injury should actually do him some good.

Red_toad

There are always obtainable elite players with the money and wages this club offers. That’s not a problem, yet.
Not when clubs are asking €100 million for a central defender. If you’re looking for a really big shake up of the squad we’d be looking north of half a billion. Club simply cannot do that.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Not when clubs are asking €100 million for a central defender. If you’re looking for a really big shake up of the squad we’d be looking north of half a billion. Club simply cannot do that.
Ultimately we just have to take the hit like Liverpool did with Van Djik. How many are calling that a bad business call now?

IrishMcD

Would love De Ligt and would hate Maguire. Think he is massively overhyped by the media due to his nationality. Just my opinion from what I've seen of him.

hungrywing

Exactly who we need is attainable( for lots of money of course). Koulibaly and Skriniar for best defensive pair in PL, Alex Sandro and Dembele.

Bigger problem is how to sell our average players who earn over 100k per week? Big clubs don't want them, smaller clubs can't pay their salary.

De Gea- Dalot, Koulibaly, Skriniar, Sandro- Fred, Pogba, Herrera- Martial, Dembele- Alexis. Squad for PL title
Nonsense. They're now world class because I have paid them accordingly. - Ed Woodwood

SAFMUTD

I think except from Madrid, Barca, Liverpool and City we can attract anyone in the world if we expend enough.

Realistic (eventhough not cheap) players:

Ruben Neves
Frenkie De Jong
Rodrigo Betancur
De Ligt
Dybala
Skriniar
Eriksen
Saul Niguez
Icardi
Koulibaly
Griezmann
Fekir
Bernardechi
Ndidi
Doucure

Anyone of those would walk into our starting XI, and I don't see a realistic reason why they wouldn't join us.

Schneckerl

Griezmann

Anyone of those would walk into our starting XI, and I don't see a realistic reason why they wouldn't join us.
:confused:
How about doing a documentary about his decision to turn down Barca because he wants to stay with Atletico ?

SAFMUTD

:confused:
How about doing a documentary about his decision to turn down Barca because he wants to stay with Atletico ?
He is a United fan, and going to Barca would mean betraying Atletico but coming here? what's the problem? For the right price and under the right manager I think we would get him without a doubt.

Irwin99

I thought Alderweireld might have signed a new deal by now. He might do before the New Year. It'd be interesting to see where he goes if he's determined on leaving Spurs. I've not seen anything of Maguire this year so I have no idea how he's playing but I expect the asking price is still north of 50 million.

I thought Sandro played really well at OT but I can't see him leaving Juve.

Schneckerl

He is a United fan, and going to Barca would mean betraying Atletico but coming here? what's the problem? For the right price and under the right manager I think we would get him without a doubt.
Absolutely delusional. In what universe does that make sense? If coming here was an opinion he would have done it this summer. The Griezmann transfer saga is over and United wasn't even in the running. It was Atletico or Barca.

Red_toad

Ultimately we just have to take the hit like Liverpool did with Van Djik. How many are calling that a bad business call now?
So 150 million on 2 new centre halves, then 50 mill on a right back, 100 mill on a midfielder, then 100 mill on a right winger and possibly need a new striker. As I said won’t happen or will take years as we’ll probably only spend 100 mill per season. It’s simply not sustainable.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Toby since his contract runs out this summer and he is needed badly in the back. (our best defender isnt even playing, Bailly)

The biggest transfer to improve our squad would be a manager with a less negative playstyle and with some charisma (positive).
People keep saying this, but it's wrong. Spurs have an option to extend it by a further year: this would trigger a £25m release clause for the Belgian that can be activated before the final two weeks of the transfer window.

IrishMcD

People keep saying this, but it's wrong. Spurs have an option to extend it by a further year: this would trigger a £25m release clause for the Belgian that can be activated before the final two weeks of the transfer window.
So is it that he is free this summer or available for £25m if they decide to envoke the extra one year clause? Heard a few different variations online

Bestietom

They say everyone is buyable if you have the money. If the 50 scouts we have were doing their job, they could surely find us some really good players without having to pay over the odds. I mean this is what they are supposed to be doing, right.