Who's attainable if we were to spend big and improve our squad?

Bola

I personally wouldn't be throwing big money on transfers this window, unless we are looking an emergency position or the chance to sign a red hot prospect (e.g. De Light, De Jong).

CB and an attacking right player are the obvious weakness in the team. Koubailly and Alderweirald are obvious choices (likely ranging in cost), but I'm struggling on the attacking position.

Personally I'd focus on clearing out some obvious dead wood (Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Valencia) to free up money for summer and to open up a pathway to the 1st team for youth. I'd also low to see if we can recall any of our promising youngsters - Tunzebe would head the list given our weaknesses at CB, while I think TFM is a great rotation option while we work out his best position

Eric's Seagull

Personally I wouldn't spend big this window as I would to get in Director of Football assess state of affairs and go from there.

But I think achievable players over next 2 windows are Koulibaly, Pavard, Milenkovic, Kieran Tierney.

Tanguy N'Dombelle, Ibrahim Sangare (doing well but unproven), Lorenso Pelllegrini ,. Persisic (stop gap until Chong is ready), Pulisic but might hamper Chong's chances in the futures.

Maybe someone like Piatek, Erikssen worth a go as his contract starting to wind down although i hear real are snipping.

Dazzmondo

Anybody think we could get Ndidi or would Leicester just point blank refuse?

Dazzmondo

No way we should get Ndidi. Not good enough. And yes, I've seen him several times.
He's near the top of the tackles and interceptions stats every season. Why wouldn't we want him? We need a dm badly and it's not a position with many standout options.

red4ever 79

We wont be signing anyone now in January thats for sure. Cant have Ed identifying targets, budget will be kept for the summer

ForestRGoinUp

Most reports suggest we could still sign players in January
Rather we just sell players in January and build up a summer budget. Need to play youth and/or see what we have in some of the recent signings that haven't had enough run.

To follow up the Jose sacking with sales of some of these would be amazing: Jones, Rojo, Valencia, Young, Matic, Lingard (get a good fee, he's not special), Fellaini, Darmian. Let's go and just get some of these guys out of the way so we can focus on replacing them either internally or in the summer.

Ww all know Jan is difficult for buying players. I don't think there will be much movement in/ out.

Wouldnt be surprised to see:

In
.CB

Out
.Rojo
.Sanchez
.Darmian

Valencia removed from captaincy.

Otherwise we might see a bit more of a DoF is lined up, reistically can't see any big names coming in Jan due to the timing.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
We wont be signing anyone now in January thats for sure. Cant have Ed identifying targets, budget will be kept for the summer
Targets will have already been identified and may well have been lined up. Assuming they fulfill certain criteria in terms of rounded abilities then we don't need to wait. A CB being the big obvious option.

Dazzmondo

Rather we just sell players in January and build up a summer budget. Need to play youth and/or see what we have in some of the recent signings that haven't had enough run.

To follow up the Jose sacking with sales of some of these would be amazing: Jones, Rojo, Valencia, Young, Matic, Lingard (get a good fee, he's not special), Fellaini, Darmian. Let's go and just get some of these guys out of the way so we can focus on replacing them either internally or in the summer.
We don't even have enough players in the squad to get rid of most of those without signings. We could get rid of Darmian and Jones/Rojo and that's pretty much it. Lingard and Fellaini still have a role to play.

ForestRGoinUp

We don't even have enough players in the squad to get rid of most of those without signings. We could get rid of Darmian and Jones/Rojo and that's pretty much it. Lingard and Fellaini still have a role to play.
Even just a few would be a much needed start. Lingard and Fellaini will be found out by a new manager (hopefully), but my point was that they may each get us a decent fee. They won't have much of a role to play next season, and we're not playing for much this season so no big loss if either of them go.

Targets will have already been identified and may well have been lined up. Assuming they fulfill certain criteria in terms of rounded abilities then we don't need to wait. A CB being the big obvious option.
Herrera and Shaw are examples of club signings rather than manager signings. The only critical signing we need is a CB.

red4ever 79

Who identified them? Jose? Ed. Absolutely no chance we will make a big signing in January, or any signing for that matter. Even from a player stand point who would want to come without knowing who the manager will be

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Herrera and Shaw are examples of club signings rather than manager signings. The only critical signing we need is a CB.
I'd disagree it's the only critical signing. A RW is pretty critical given we don't have a natural one beyond Chong who hasn't even had a chance to show he can cut it yet.

A DM is probably also fairly critical given Matic is shite, but I guess that partly depends on style of play. 2 CMs full of energy might work!

I'd disagree it's the only critical signing. A RW is pretty critical given we don't have a natural one beyond Chong who hasn't even had a chance to show he can cut it yet.

A DM is probably also fairly critical given Matic is shite, but I guess that partly depends on style of play. 2 CMs full of energy might work!
I agree longer term - but for now and to the end of the season, we have players who can play there (it's not ideal, but we can cope). We don't want to spend a fortune on a winger who the next manager doesn't fancy. Same goes for a midfielder, and we probably need to get rid of Matic first, and that's not happening until the summer.

Caveat being if we have a DoF in place then yes a RW and CB are needed.

Who identified them? Jose? Ed. Absolutely no chance we will make a big signing in January, or any signing for that matter. Even from a player stand point who would want to come without knowing who the manager will be
From a players perspective that happens all the time. You say there's no chance - I bet we sign at least one player, we might not, but the chances are a lot higher than zero.

Kidders

Koulibaly & Milenković from Napoli & Fiorentina to shore up the defense, I would then shift Jones, Rojo, Linderlöf and Darmian.

We desperately need a RW so maybe Asensio

Weigl is not having a great season at Dortmund but maybe worth a punt to replace Matic ?

Beagle

From a players perspective that happens all the time. You say there's no chance - I bet we sign at least one player, we might not, but the chances are a lot higher than zero.
No they're zero pretty much. Why would any player want to sign for a club without a manager, without CL football next season? And as @red4ever 79 pointed out who would be picking out targets? The club shouldn't be looking to sign new players based on the caretaker manager's choice.

Sea-Cow

He's near the top of the tackles and interceptions stats every season. Why wouldn't we want him? We need a dm badly and it's not a position with many standout options.
I would be happy with this. I've always been impressed and he is still young. Wouldn't think he would cost a bomb, but you never know.

jesperjaap

Dont want to even say about January but if we are talking summer time as well and attainable possibly then young players that I think could be good would include DeLight, DeJOng, Ascacibar, Ndombele, Cornet, Sancho, Bissaka all really good young players.

Ascacibar would be THE signing for me. Tiny player, huge heart. Compared to Mascherano, reminds me more of Gattuso. I just think he would bring so much energy and fight to our side, possible cult hero, not at a big club, I wouldnt think it would be a huge fee either.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

t I think could be good would include DeLight, DeJOng, Ascacibar, Ndombele, Cornet, Sancho, Bissaka all really good young players.
Cornet is shit and one of the most disliked players amongst Lyon fans.
Their best players are Fekir,Memphis,Aouar,Ndombele,Mendy.

jesperjaap

Cornet is shit and one of the most disliked players amongst Lyon fans.
Their best players are Fekir,Memphis,Aouar,Ndombele,Mendy.
Only really seen Lyon in Champions league this season and been quite impressive to me. Memphis has done well at Lyon, but I never got the fuss about hi before we signed him, raved about for his world cup performances where he barely even played and did little when he did. Think quite a few fans think we made a mistake letting him go, personally think we made a mistake signing him.
Has Gouiri played and performed at all this season as he seems to be very highly rated within French football?

ash_86

Id' be happy if we could sell someone in Jan and use the money to fund new players in summer. Put Jones and Rojo up for sale. Options are less in Jan and some team will bite the bullet since the'd need someone right away and options are less. During summer everyone has plenty of options.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Only really seen Lyon in Champions league this season and been quite impressive to me. Memphis has done well at Lyon, but I never got the fuss about hi before we signed him, raved about for his world cup performances where he barely even played and did little when he did. Think quite a few fans think we made a mistake letting him go, personally think we made a mistake signing him.
Yea Cornet was really good against City, It's his only good performance of the year though and he's one of the most frustrating players around really.
Memphis improved a lot since joining Lyon but he is still inconsistent though, he could be starting at United as a striker imo, he's been great when played centrally definitely more than Lukaku these past few months, last year he had a great run of 3/4 months at the end of last season where he was consistently world class but this season he's been more hot and cold..

Has Gouiri played and performed at all this season as he seems to be very highly rated within French football?
Gouiri sadly tore his ACL in August right before the season started and is expected to come back in January/February.
He's very highly rated because his finishing and overall eye for the goal is really extraordinary, I think he broke every damn record ever established for the French youth teams as far as goals/minutes go.