Why are our performances so inconsistent?

Zlatattack

We've had a couple of excellent performances in the Champions league, but then can't seem to follow up with the same intesity in the league. The defeat to Spurs and Palace were shockers but could be chalked up to a lack of match fitness or a bad day in the office, but the draw at Chelsea and defeat to Arsenal are nothing more than inconsistency. Why aren't these players raising their game for these matches? Arsenal and Chelsea are big games for us, any game should be a big game. You cant expect to win trophies and take games lightly.

We've suffered from inconsistency for quite a while through all our post SAF managers i reckon. In the past we could blame fitness, lack of squad depth, poor managers, but the players seem happy with Ole, we have a fit squad and rotation options - so whats the problem now?

Dr. StrangeHate

We've had a couple of excellent performances in the Champions league, but then can't seem to follow up with the same intesity in the league. The defeat to Spurs and Palace were shockers but could be chalked up to a lack of match fitness or a bad day in the office, but the draw at Chelsea and defeat to Arsenal are nothing more than inconsistency. Why aren't these players raising their game for these matches? Arsenal and Chelsea are big games for us, any game should be a big game. You cant expect to win trophies and take games lightly.

We've suffered from inconsistency for quite a while through all our post SAF managers i reckon. In the past we could blame fitness, lack of squad depth, poor managers, but the players seem happy with Ole, we have a fit squad and rotation options - so whats the problem now?
In the Premier League we regularly come up against managers who know our weakness and exploit it. We still will win more PL games than we lose or draw due to the superiority of our squad.

The two German managers we came up against seemed pretty dogmatic in their philosophy and unwilling to change. PSG had injuries while Leipzig had an inferior team. They still came with the same philosophy and Ole set the team up to counter that.

Ole is pretty decent when he takes the role of the underdog in a match. It's the flip side he still can't figure out which leads to the inconsistency.

Last edited:

Glorio

If you looked at the intensity of simple things like closing down the opposition yesterday, it's a difficult one. The players seemingly do believe their own hype (some more than others) - they can play, don't get me wrong, but after a particularly good performance they seem to go into the next one obviously coasting. Then the negative pressure mounts, and then they show everyone what they can really do. Maybe we need an anti-PR machine! :lol:

I think any player not showing the required commitment needs the bench for an extended period. Ole's started that recently, and he should stick to it regardless of external pressure.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus

Unfortunately this will come down on Ole, his tactics and decision making is laughable especially bringing on players too late or changing the system when there is no time left to get anything from a game. His game plan collapsed after 5 minutes against Arsenal, under Sir Alex he would have changed it straight away and saw a difference in the play from that. With Ole he seem to be similar to Van Gaal in I will do it my way until it succeeds especially with some of these players still like Pogba who is a joke.

Siorac

In the Premier League we regularly come up against managers who know our weakness and exploit it. We still will win more PL games then we lose or draw due to the superiority of our squad.

The two German managers we came up against seemed pretty dogmatic in their philosophy and unwilling to change. PSG had injuries while Leipzig had an inferior team. They still came with the same philosophy and Ole set the team up to counter that.

Ole is pretty decent when he takes the role of the underdog in a match. It's the flip side he still can't figure out which leads to the inconsistency.
Also, Leipzig's shape just completely collapsed after taking Heinrichs off for Sabitzer around the hour mark. Suddenly just acres of space opened up.

But really, this has been discussed to death in every other thread. We're good when we can play on the counter, exploit the pace of our frontline. If we need to play a composed passing game, we're lost. That's about it.

cyril C

Because the manager is trying different formation in order to fit in players. We have used 343, 4231 and 433 before, trying something new against a strong opponent, we were lucky not to concede by half time. It worked against 1 team doesn't mean it will also work against every team.

Roboc7

No clear or consistent plan, lineup, tactics or formation. It’s all made up as go along and we are heavily dependent on being able to counter attack, or teams playing a high line.

Ole has done as much as he can now, there is no rebuild or master plan to follow no matter how much time or money he gets. We’ll continue to be inconsistent and Ole will be gone at some point this season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Honestly? I think Solskjaer is trying too hard to be a tactical coach and is a little too proactive in his match planning.

Its nice that we are flexible and have a number of formations and approaches but it‘s definitely why we are inconsistent in my opinion. If you look at the really successful teams, their tactical approach is very consistent and that results in consistent performances. Their tactical changes in the big matches are subtle and still fit within their existing system.

With Solskjaer it’s the entire spectrum of tactics all within the space of a few matches.

Double pivot
5 at the back.
Diamond.

When it comes down to it, it says to me that we haven‘t established our own system and identity that we trust. It’s why we have done well in the big games, where our changing approaches and bespoke tactics work against sides who come to us for a result, and hasn’t worked out in the rest of the games where we just don’t have the confidence and familiarity with a given approach to perform at a level which picks up 3 points more often than not.

Sweet Square

We are a young team with lots of potential. There's going to be many high and low points throughout the season. Anyone expecting otherwise is just fooling themselves.

Also covid plays a massive role as well. It's a very weird time for football.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
We are a young team with lots of potential. There's going to be many high and low points throughout the season. Anyone expecting otherwise is just fooling themselves.

Also covid plays a massive role as well. It's a very weird time for football.
You don't see any of the other teams in the so called Big 6 struggling as much as we are, we are closer to the relegation zone than any other manager since the 70s. You can say their young, but to give Zero Effort for majority of that game was distasteful to every player who has given their all for this club. And for Ole to keep getting it wrong every time he wins a game he is digging his own grave. He didn't get the players he wanted we all know that like the last 3 managers since Sir Alex, but him smiling and laughing after yet another defeat gets me absolutely livid. He needs to grow up and actually show the same passions he showed as a player in defeat and if he is trying to be nice to everyone by rotating every single game it is just going to be him that is finished when we keep on losing due to no consistency at all.

kps88

We lack proper experience and leadership on and off the pitch. Our strikers are all below 25, they are bound to be inconsistent. We hardly have anyone over 30. Our captain has barely been here and never won a trophy. I mean, it would defy logic if we were consistent.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Honestly? I think Solskjaer is trying too hard to be a tactical coach and is a little too proactive in his match planning.

Its nice that we are flexible and have a number of formations and approaches but it‘s definitely why we are inconsistent in my opinion. If you look at the really successful teams, their tactical approach is very consistent and that results in consistent performances. Their tactical changes in the big matches are subtle and still fit within their existing system.

With Solskjaer it’s the entire spectrum of tactics all within the space of a few matches.

Double pivot
5 at the back.
Diamond.

When it comes down to it, it says to me that we haven‘t established our own system and identity that we trust. It’s why we have done well in the big games, where our changing approaches and bespoke tactics work against sides who come to us for a result, and hasn’t worked out in the rest of the games where we just don’t have the confidence and familiarity with a given approach to perform at a level which picks up 3 points more often than not.
Yeah I'd go with this.

it's no surprise that our most consistent spell under him came when he basically played the exact same 11 for 20 games on the trot (and then we struggled at the end as they got knackered). He seems to lack the know-how to figure out how to use the squad effectively and that's why we're seeing him try so many random formations and team selections to do so.

AshRK

We are a team who are dangerous when offered any space which is why scoring first is very important for us. Had we scored the first goal yesterday we would have been dangerous yesterday too but when teams don't offer us any space we are toothless.

soapythecat

Poor management and coaching. Lack of motivation from a manager who does little to inspire.
His level is the Norwegian league. He’s been relegated from this league and has done nothing elsewhere that is even close to the standard we expect here.

Sylar

Our players try in big games but do less against the smaller teams like Palace and Arsenal

:angel:

I think changing the formation and personnel a lot doesnt help. Weve seen 4231, 442 diamond, 433, 352 all used. And when weve used 442 diamond between games weve had changes made to the diamond which hasnt helped.

Also think 'under=performers' who are the costlier or bigger names are brought back into the team too quickly.

Falcow

Lot of reasons. No wins in out last 6 home league games, 3 losses and three draws. However there is one obvious and easy to fix reason...

Against Newcastle, PSG, RB and Chelsea, Bruno and Pogba did not start together and lo and behold we played well. They have started together 4 times this season and each time the team performance has been shambolic resulting in three defeats and one jammy win v Brighton.

Am I the only one who sees a fcuking pattern here. Frustrating beyond belief.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its like Ole is playing FIFA sometimes with the amount of times he plays around with the set-up/formation without actually sticking to one plan and just ever so slightly tweaking it now and again. No wonder the players still seem to be confused in their play.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

This is a large part of the problem; we're one dimensional.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Jonathan Wilson always likes sticking the boot into us. Bet he enjoyed writing that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think open expansive games suit us so Leipzig/PSG was going to play into our hands a bit more. As countless others have said, even the shitty ESPN pundits, we struggle with teams that have more defensive organisation and just look to pick us off. If you just press us well enough + stay compact then we tend to look pretty fecked.

I think a diamond could have worked vs Arsenal had Ole deployed ball players like Matic and VDB but hey ho. It is what it is.

In my opinion the best way to beat a press is to reply with a press yourself (assuming you have the right personnel once you have the ball). And Ole can't get a pressing system in place - that's a big concern in particular.

youngrell

It simply has to be a mentality issue, IMO.

Teams playing in the Champions/Europa League have always struggled or looked leggy the following weekend, but considering we have played two teams in the same boat as us this past 2 weeks, it can't be put down to that. Add in the fact some of these players have been rested a little during these games too and the excuses get even weaker.

These players have shown they have the required ability to win against quality opposition, yet we keep seeing these lacklustre performances regularly after an excellent one. A win such as the one against Leipzig in midweek is the type to give you a great confidence boost, but instead of using that confidence in a positive manner to play with freedom and an extra bounce in our step, we use it to sit back and play as if winning isn't earned but expected.

This mentality was on show yesterday when even our captain admitted post-match that the players thought their shit didn't stink after the midweek 5-0.

Robbie Boy

I think open expansive games suit us so Leipzig/PSG was going to play into our hands a bit more. As countless others have said, even the shitty ESPN pundits, we struggle with teams that have more defensive organisation and just look to pick us off. If you just press us well enough + stay compact then we tend to look pretty fecked.

I think a diamond could have worked vs Arsenal had Ole deployed ball players like Matic and VDB but hey ho. It is what it is.

In my opinion the best way to beat a press is to reply with a press yourself (assuming you have the right personnel once you have the ball). And Ole can't get a pressing system in place - that's a big concern in particular.
It's funny as I've seen plenty of his biggest fans say he 'wants to play with a press'. Yet here we are nearly two years into his tenure and we are atrocious at either pressing or preventing the press.

Handré1990

Double pivot
5 at the back.
Diamond.

Winner! On the caf I often read stuff like, never changes system (no plan B). You master a style and a plan by practicing it and playing it, again and again and again...

Okey

Decide how your team will play. Set them up thus, and drill it into them relentlessly. Coach them to play it properly. Yes, you can tweak it a little now and then to suit the needs (like we saw Sheffield United regularly drop the extra CB late in some games last season), but your basic ethos must remain the same. Rotate players to fit into that same system to avoid burn out. Unless you do that, you can't possibly achieve consistency. It's what good managers do. A good enough manager, we don't have. If Ole lasts the season, I can confidently predict we'll get less than 2 points per game again at the end of the season. You can't go anywhere with that.

Okey

There's so many elements to us that haven't really progressed at all since he took over, that's not only worrying its inexcusable.
This! Inexcusable. And I don't buy the one dimensional thing. Take Wolverhampton. They're probably the vision closest to what it looks like Ole wants to do. I don't see anyone slating their counter attacking setup. Instead, they do it so well and so consistently that big teams are scared of playing them. Each time it's brought up that we're poorly coached, you get attacks and excuses. But it's simply true, sad as it is.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
The problem is the squad isnt balanced at all, if that is the fault of the manager or the board or a combination of both is not something we can say but probably a bit of both. If anything Solskjaer is trying too hard to fit in too many players in a system together because of that, how can you have 8 CM/AM in your squad (Pogba, Matic, McT, Fred, VDB, Bruno, Lingard, Mata) and 0 true wingers (James is horribly ineffective and should only play cup games). I think that once Ole figures out that he should just play the same as the end of last season now that fitness is back, it should be fine even if Pogba needs to be dropped. I think the 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 looked instantly better yesterday even with the wrong personnel and we would have won the game if set up from the beginning. It's obviously what has been drilled into the squad, which is why the diamond would never work right now.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Young team and young manager.

Honestly it baffles me though. And the flip flopping of fans is just as ridiculous. One day we've got people berating each other for wanting Ole out because he pulls another brilliant game plan off, the next week we're berating people who want him in because we've dropped points where we shouldn't. I don't have a clue anymore, I'm not sure Ole is the problem but I'm not sure he's the solution either.

El Zoido

Double pivot
5 at the back.
Diamond.

Pretty close to it, I think. Part of the problem is getting consistent performance from anyone in the middle, so it’s hard to say since they don’t all fit in to the same system. Some days Matic puts in a worldie, other days he’s glacially slow and the opposition runs through him. Some days Pogba is setting up goals for fun, other days he’s giving penalties away. Fred and McT have been our most consistent midfield pairing, but both are poor going forward and give the ball away too frequently when looking for damaging forward passes. Both are fine at ball retention when playing it sideways and backwards, but then that drags the whole dynamic of the team down. I suspect VdB will claim his place in the first XI much quicker than expected.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Passive in our play, relying on individual moments to get us out of the rut and fundamentally focused on counter attacking football. Personality wise Ole's the opposite to Jose but style wise ? alot more in common.

Ole has a big roulette wheel in his office and balls marked 'formation', 'tactics', 'players' and 'subs'. Before each game he spins said wheel. He keeps it next to David Moyes' old mousepad.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Before the summer break you looked unbeatable, what has happened?

KevinJoh

I would not say our performances are inconsistent. I think we are playing at similar level every game (not good one), but we depend a lot on game flow and individual moments of magic.

For example, check out for last 4 games only. We will say we had top performance against PSG and Leipzig, and bad against Chelsea and Arsenal. In reality, we could easily concede in opening minutes against PSG and lose the game as if Di Maria shot went in, or the next chance from 5 metres (Mbape I think), you would have different game. It was similar against Leipzig, they had pretty solid first half in which they had more of the play and could score one goal that would take game in different direction.

On the other hand I think we had solid game against Chelsea, and solid second half against Arsenal, where if we scored first goal we would win games. Those have not been good games, don't get me wrong, but I don't think we have been second best.

All of that because our game changes a lot when we score comparing to when we concede. Looks to me that psychological issue is the biggest problem of those players, or at least some of them. When they see they are winning, they open up, they play with freedom and can ruin anyone. But, when they are under pressure, they can't work, they are afraid of mistakes and do not risk even when they have to if they want to score.

For me this is the big issue we have.

Theonas

Scout
You can't build a top team in the modern game if you can't control the midfield to play on the front foot. That is a coaching issue and is probably the most difficult thing to implement in football which is why the best coaches command a lot of money. When you can't do that, you are left with a short blanket. If you cover your head or your feet, the other will be exposed. That is why we either have to drop deep to protect our defense which asks from our forwards too much or commit too much forward which leaves us isolated at the back. We have some very top individual talent up front though and when they play with confidence and momentum, they can create moments of brilliance. But unless you are relying on Ronaldo or Messi to create these moments of brilliance, it is a terribly unsustainable way of building a team.