Why are pundits so bad? Especially ex United players

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
A few who have impressed me recently.
Efan Ekoku, Nedum Onuoha, Stephen Warnock.
All well spoken and insightful.

On the other side of the coin Lianne Sanderson, Clinton Morrison and Paul Merson get me reaching for the off button.

Deery

Dreary
A few who have impressed me recently.
Efan Ekoku, Nedum Onuoha, Stephen Warnock.
All well spoken and insightful.

On the other side of the coin Lianne Sanderson, Clinton Morrison and Paul Merson get me reaching for the off button.
Yeah I think he’s very good said it before and people laughed at me, don’t mind Clinton Morrison either he is what he is.

BR7

I actually think GNev has become so worried about being accused of united bias he has become a bit anti united when incidents occur. He regularly favours the opposition. Getting even more annoying than when he played for us.

Phil’s my favourite Neville now followed by their sister.

Hoof the ball

I actually think GNev has become so worried about being accused of united bias he has become a bit anti united when incidents occur. He regularly favours the opposition. Getting even more annoying than when he played for us.

Phil’s my favourite Neville now followed by their sister.
And then the U23 player after that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Genuine question, why do people care so much about what pundits say? I see people getting really upset /angry over the things that commentators/pundits say and I don't really get it... Its one person's opinion, what does it actually matter?

Red00012

Genuine question, why do people care so much about what pundits say? I see people getting really upset /angry over the things that commentators/pundits say and I don't really get it... Its one person's opinion, what does it actually matter?
I’ve actually switched channels immediately after the final whistle lately . Mainly it’s been out of frustration from our results but a little bit of me just could not be listening to pundits talking rubbish as well.

BR7

I can only answer from my personal stand point but I expect a semblance of loyalty to our club so if it’s a fair call against us I have no issues whatsoever but GNev makes far too many calls against us and some are pretty poor. Being honest and impartial, fine, but he isn’t all because he’s a gutless fella which Mr Keane has commented on in the past. He’s a bit of a weasel

Chipper

Adulterer.
I don't really get it either, I don't think pundits really add much but they don't anger me either. Haven't seen in it a while, but that "Graeme Sourness" mega thread that was ironic as hell. He'd open his mouth and say something innocuous, people would go mental on here and he was the sour one?

I just don't really see the point in them. Giving your own opinion or having the ability to agree or disagree with others and have actual interaction is what it's all about for me. If I watched the match with someone else I'd rather talk to them about what we just saw than listen to pundits. If I watched alone there's online where I can do the same. Pundits can't offer that.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Bump after the Carragher shite in the Spurs game. Why is the blatant bias that pundits show in co-comms accepted? It's so unprofessional and it pisses me off.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Pundits are drafted by their ability to kick a ball about not by their eloquence, intelligence or oratory skills. Most people who are good at kicking a ball about are dumb as a bunch of rocks. Pundits suck. Simple deduction.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Lack of articulation is one of the fundamental reasons. People seem to dismiss the importance of being able to properly construct and communicate your views a bit in today’s society. Due to their limitations, a lot of pundit’s views just appear emotional and simplistic.

UpWithRivers

People have the attention span of a goldfish and they like dumbed down attention grabbing click bait information. No one wants to hear in depth insightful football discussions. If the say anything controversial or wacky or clicky then they are all over the socials. If not they are boring and will probably not get called back.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Pundits aren't hired to do actual analysis, they are hired to have a recognizable face and spout mildly controversial stuff. It's like complaining why Marvel movies actively lower your iq.

Revaulx

Pundits are drafted by their ability to kick a ball about not by their eloquence, intelligence or oratory skills. Most people who are good at kicking a ball about are dumb as a bunch of rocks. Pundits suck. Simple deduction.
I think that’s a bit harsh. Plenty of players are fine at post-match analysis in the studio, once they’ve had time to collect their thoughts and work out what they want to say. What they are almost all crap at is co-commentary; they haven’t got the mental agility to be able to think and comment quickly enough and end up spouting generic bollocks.

Lack of articulation is one of the fundamental reasons. People seem to dismiss the importance of being able to properly construct and communicate your views a bit in today’s society. Due to their limitations, a lot of pundit’s views just appear emotional and simplistic.
Indeed.

Rio’s an interesting example. I find his analysis of individual pieces of defensive play really insightful and objective. The moment he starts pontificating in a general way he becomes like all the others, sadly.

jeff_goldblum

Modern punditry leans a lot more towards punch-and-judy-esque theatre than it does actual analysis because that's what football fans react most strongly to. We get the punditry we deserve.

mctrials23

Good to see that other people have noticed this too. We have become so obsessed with diversity in every way that its seen as bad to not hire someone for a job that requires good communication if they have 0 ability to actually articulate their views or offer any insight. "He sounds like lots of supporters and used to be good at football, lets hire him".

It feels like some of them are intentionally picked for their common accents and "salt of the earth" persona. I don't care what someones accent is as long as they can add to the discussion or give an interesting opinion. So often they seem to be thick as mud and have little value to give.

Perhaps the more intelligent ex-footballers don't give the repeatable soundbites or clickbait hot takes that the networks want. Who knows.

ChaddyP

They should have more coaches and managers than brand name ex players. I remember watching Jose during a world cup I think it was. Extremely good analysis because he actually knows what he's talking about

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
They are hilariously bad in that for all their past glory as very successful players, they just resemble and mirror (willingly or not, I am not sure) the stereotypical armchair fans right now.