Why aren't there more lobbed/chipped goals?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Well why aren't there?

Keepers play higher than ever as do defensive lines and yet it seems these types of goals dried up about 20 years ago (I remember around 2001-2003 the likes of Veron, Beckham, Pires scoring at least a few of these a season)

Players just as not as good now?

Examples below

JuriM

Not advised to lose possession over a low probability shot and probable counter attack.

Judas

Open to offers
There’s so many fun goals that don’t seem to happen anymore. Like barely ever do you see players going around the keeper one on one, it’s so extra and unnecessary, but glorious.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That Danny Welbeck attempt against Neuer happened and the football world collectively decided that it's not really the thing to do anymore.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Both of those goals - particularly the first one - have a midfielder of moderate pace and great technique through on goal in a quite a lot of space. That’s incredibly rare in the modern game because, as you mentioned, keepers and defences are generally higher.

Today, Beckham and Veron would receive the ball further from goal and likely with opponents in much closer proximity, so the chip wouldn’t really be on.

The type of player who gets those chances nowadays is likely to be a pacy forward who will try to place it, dink it, or play a cut back to his equally pacy team mate.

Not as beautiful, but as the standard of the league rises, even mid and lower table teams are able to field well-drilled defences comprised of full internationals.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Guardiola’s Barça taught everyone the importance of dominating possession & the almost ever-present pressing means that you’re unlikely to find yourself with enough time & space on the ball to take such a shot even in the middle of the pitch.

Bruno does try it from time to time though.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Attempts that threaten xg negatively are not allowed.
This pretty much, also why football generally seems to have less spectacular goals and teams like City try endless cut backs.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It never ceases to amaze me when people assume that somehow, despite advancements in coaching and training players have randomly lost relatively basic skill sets. :houllier:

Modern keepers don't tend to leave such huge gaps between themselves and their backlines, defenses probably close down the assist givers for these goals a lot more diligently, so players aren't completely blank in the middle of the pitch.

avgp_1

Goalkeepers are much more committed at sweeping and on 1v1s, they are either entirely ready to take the ball off the attacker when the ball is played in behind or they stay in position waiting to let the attacking player come to them and position well for 1v1

Chief123

Well why aren't there?

Keepers play higher than ever as do defensive lines and yet it seems these types of goals dried up about 20 years ago (I remember around 2001-2003 the likes of Veron, Beckham, Pires scoring at least a few of these a season)

Players just as not as good now?

Examples below

Because unfortunately Pickford doesn’t play for every club. If he did, we would see a lot more.

On a serious note, I do think players look after their fitness a lot more than they used to which plays a part. Even GKs. Back in the day it was common to see multiple goalkeepers who were overweight for a professional GK. It’s a lot harder to make any kind of stretching leap/jump without a good core. Nowadays you see spectacular dives and stretches by keepers. You just wouldn’t see it with the likes of Neville Southall who could barely lift two feet off the ground at the same time.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Anything to do with the weight of new footballs? I know from personal experience that heavier balls will drop quicker, such as when there's a ring of ice around a Mitre on a crisp winter morn.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
the eu banned them as they made the goalkeepers feel bad. now you’re supposed to gently kick the ball into the keeper’s arms. the referee will then blow his whistle and stop the game to allow you both receive your participation medals from a girl that used to be a boy.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think with Rooney retiring the number of attempted chips in top5 leagues has decreased by around 65%.

the eu banned them as they made the goalkeepers feel bad. now you’re supposed to gently kick the ball into the keeper’s arms. the referee will then blow his whistle and stop the game to allow you both receive your participation medals from a girl that used to be a boy.
:lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think with Rooney retiring the number of attempted chips in top5 leagues has decreased by around 65%.

:lol:
oh my god yes, remember how he tried it at least once a month:lol::lol::lol:

#00F

Supports
Barca
Messi has so many of them. Some of his best goals are chipped goals. There's a 9-min youtube compilation of his chipped goals. How many more does one need?

Valencia Shin Crosses

It never ceases to amaze me when people assume that somehow, despite advancements in coaching and training players have randomly lost relatively basic skill sets. :houllier:

Modern keepers don't tend to leave such huge gaps between themselves and their backlines, defenses probably close down the assist givers for these goals a lot more diligently, so players aren't completely blank in the middle of the pitch.
This. The game evolved, a bit similar to other sports in the same time, to value ruthless efficiency > everything else. So along with what you already noted, players are coached now to value the ball more than trying a low percentage attempt for no reason other than to go for glory.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
:lol: :lol: :lol:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I discussed this with a friend that day. Keepers and defenses in general are just really good at positioning now. Keepers don't just rush out like stupid

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Cavani scored one against Fulham a couple of seasons ago.

Kellyiom

Attempts that threaten xg negatively are not allowed.
Yep, that's one reason imo, it's the massive increase in the use of stats. Chances or shots on target can be relatively low now so nobody wants to be seen squandering an opportunity trying something like that.

GK's have also improved their abilities from 20 years ago with the aim of playing it out. Contrast that to when we had the Great Dane able to throw the ball half-way down the pitch to start a quick counter, it's clear keepers have been much refined since that era. The corollary of playing the ball out is taking some risk so they're really keen to avoid getting caught too far off their line as it will look terrible.

Slightly off topic but I seem to remember someone here had some stats on scoring from free kicks and headers also declining. Can't recall whether that was for us (MUFC) or in general.

jm99

It's a relatively unreliable way to finish, if you're clean through on goal rounding the keeper or slotting it past him is the better option. It's like the panenka penalty, it looks cool when it comes off, but it's a much lower percentage shot than just taking a normal penalty