Why Citys First XI are never poached

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Its not much different with the top clubs either, key players almost never leaves the like of RM, Bayern, Barca etc, either, there are exceptions, such as Neymar to PSG, but those are rare.

CoopersDream

Why would players want to move from City at this point? They challange for all the biggest trophies while they play for the best manager in the world. No reason to move. It's not like integral players of many of the other big clubs are regularly poached.

Why wasn't Aguero poached? Real had Benzema, Barca had Suarez, PSG had either Zlatan or Cavani and Bayern had Lewandowski. It's not like there are a lot of other places to go.

Apart from Ronaldo (who wanted to leave), in the last 20 years, which players have left United at the height of their careers while United wanted them to stay?

Chief123

Wanted to discuss something i mentioned in the treble thread,

Why is it Citys first 11 are never courted by the likes of Real, Barca, PSG or Bayern?

It seems ever since the takeover in 2008 none of the top clubs in europe have ever declared interest in any of Citys main players

Kompany, Silva, Aguero, De Bruyne, Rodri, Ederson, Foden etc all have never come as potential signings for these clubs

You have Madrid declaring interest in Mbappe, Ronaldo, Barca chasing Lewandowski, but never have these clubs successfully declared interest in a City first team player

Honourable mentions not included

Cancelo was a bench player before being released on loan, same can be said for Sane when Sterling went to a left winger, Dzeko was also a sub

Bernardo Silva is the only one i can think of after 15 years

Jesus, Zinchenko, Sterling all on the unwanted list

Is it shadow wages from an abu dhabi company? Agents paid brown envelopes to not let their players leave? How is it none of these guys ever want to play elsewhere?

This is also pre Guardiola, under Mancini and Pellegrini also, they never lost a first team player to a big club, and they never even declared interest
Because they all receive twice the money they are reportedly on. Most of city’s players have been acquired and retained because of the bottomless pot of money that they’ve been paid from.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
The likes of bench players (Grealish, Mahrez, even Bernardo) are probably being paid around 500k a week each on+off the books. More off than on obviously. Why do you think we never hear a peep about them wanting a move? And no, it's not just because of Pep.

Aguero and David Silva in their non CL winning decade each. Not a peep. No one could afford their (actual) salaries. It's not even that big a secret either. No one gives a shit. That's where football is.
They probably still pay Jesus and Zinchenko salaries..

They’re paid well above what they’re being given over the table. I think I heard that the likes of Aguero and Silva are still being paid somehow.
I also heard Toure, Balotelli and Tevez are still being paid.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
They have no need for transfer fees so unless a player actively wants to leave or they want to get rid, there's zero point in trying.

It's the same with any club that's oil rich.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Well, I mean, all three of them were sick-notes.
This is a myth for Silva and Aguero. Kroos, Carvalho and Xabi Alonso had worse injury records when signed.

In 9 out of 10 seasons, David Silva played 40+ games for City.

From 2011-2018, Aguero had 6 out of 8 seasons where he played 40+ games, one season he had 39 and another 34.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Wanted to discuss something i mentioned in the treble thread,

Why is it Citys first 11 are never courted by the likes of Real, Barca, PSG or Bayern?

It seems ever since the takeover in 2008 none of the top clubs in europe have ever declared interest in any of Citys main players

Kompany, Silva, Aguero, De Bruyne, Rodri, Ederson, Foden etc all have never come as potential signings for these clubs

You have Madrid declaring interest in Mbappe, Ronaldo, Barca chasing Lewandowski, but never have these clubs successfully declared interest in a City first team player

Honourable mentions not included

Cancelo was a bench player before being released on loan, same can be said for Sane when Sterling went to a left winger, Dzeko was also a sub

Bernardo Silva is the only one i can think of after 15 years

Jesus, Zinchenko, Sterling all on the unwanted list

Is it shadow wages from an abu dhabi company? Agents paid brown envelopes to not let their players leave? How is it none of these guys ever want to play elsewhere?

This is also pre Guardiola, under Mancini and Pellegrini also, they never lost a first team player to a big club, and they never even declared interest
Who leaves winners?

ti vu

Barcelona bought Ferran Torres after 18 months at City for £45m or something.
Ferran Torres was not starter. He didn't get 10 appearances for City last season before his move in winter transfer last season.

Barcelona paying City that much for him when they're struggling financially is fishy too.
Sane? Toure?
Sane injured and didn't play much. Toure was initially removed from starting XI. He only came back into the team because Pep was "struggling" with in his season and Toure helped remedy it to some extend. It's not like Toure move to bigger club when he left.

Aguero leaves. Sterling, Gabriel Jesus were phased out last season. Similar Cancelo was out of favor this season before his loan move.

Dominos

I think United fans are so scarred by Ronaldo leaving in 2009 they think every foreign player is itching to leave no matter the circumstance.

The truth is, if the team is successful every season and the player is getting paid his worth then you have a very good chance of keeping your best players. Don't think it needs to be more complicated than that.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Money (cheat?)
2. Success (guarantee trophies every year)
3. Playing under Pep
4. Playing in best league

Why would anyone wants to leave, when he is getting the best income he could, being the most successful, playing under best manager in the best league?

Tyrion

Are you seriously asking this question? I think we all know the answer, and that is ££££££!! A shit ton of it.
Exactly. God only knows how much money they got paid under the table. Isn't one of the allegations that they paid Mancini extra money secretly?

berbasloth4

I think I remember reading before that when the Arabs took over at city. They already had a working relationship ship with the Madrid president and they had like a gentleman’s agreement to leave each others players.

if you think about it there as been very little activity between them.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I think I remember reading before that when the Arabs took over at city. They already had a working relationship ship with the Madrid president and they had like a gentleman’s agreement to leave each others players.

if you think about it there as been very little activity between them.
Yeah, Perez took a loan from City owner to help with Madrids new stadium. I saw a post on Reddit recently as well that City group is building something related to football in NYC and Perez company will be working on it.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
You would think manchester would be a factor here? You would think these superstar players and model wives would want a more attractive place to live after some years here like paris or madrid, i just find it incredibley strange none of their big players have ever gotten sniffed around like Ronaldo, Kane, Hazard, Suarez when city have never won a european cup

Yakuza_devils

If my memory serves me right, not sure it's PSG or City made the threat that if any team try to poach/unsettle their player they will do the same to their player with their bottomless cash. Needless to say no sane club would want to mess with the oil rich state club.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Because they can't offer better wages. So there's no reason for the players to leave City. If they offer better wages, City will just match it. If we offered better salary than Real Madrid when Ronaldo wanted to leave, do you think he'd leave? seeing how we were on top of the world at that time and how he joined Saudi league for money... nah, pretty sure he'd stay. Sure he'd stay because of money and not pashun but it doesn't really matter when it comes into retaining players.

Last edited:

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
1. Money (cheat?)
3. Playing under Pep

Why would anyone wants to leave, when he is getting the best income he could, being the most successful, playing under best manager in the best league?
Basically this.
I would also add the fact that Barca and Real do not have the financial power they once held.

Gordon S

This has always puzzled me.
Ronaldo was with Manchester United at the peak of our powers, one of the strongest teams in europe, winning league titles and champions league, full stadium chanting his name.
Big club, iconic club, rich club. Did not matter, Ronaldo was half way out of his house the moment Real looked his way.
Then you have Bale, Hazard, Suarez, you have Alonso, Mascherano and more before that.
The Spanish giants picking up the best players every year from the PL. Especially top players from Spain, Portugal and South America.

Silva and Aguero are 2 of the best players of the last 20 years. Yet, somehow, barely a whisper about any move to Spain. Magic.

Gordon S

1. Money (cheat?)
3. Playing under Pep

They kept their best players with ease before Pep as well. Before trophies were guaranteed.

DickDastardly

Over easy.

City have scrambled finances.
They're hard boiling the agents with cash under the table.
They're probably gonna buy that georgian kid, Shakshuka from Napoli.
Also helps having that guy Benedict handle all their finances.

Basically, they're a deviled club.

skc_18

It is weird alright. Especially the way they seem to find buyers incredibly easy when they decide they want to move a player on. So it’s not as though their players aren’t sought after. Weird and annoying because never losing your best players but being able to sell every player you don’t want quickly and for good money makes it so much easier to build a good squad.
This. I am more surprised how all their players are always sold at great prices and most of the time buying club does not have much competition.

On to the topic, starting 11 or important players are surely paid handsomely (on / off books) and same goes for backup/squad players. Money is attractive and only case they would move is to get more game time. But if you are getting both money and titles , it is hard to move for players I guess.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Because players are being payed extra behind the FA’s back & transfers so they skip FFP.

They are also a winning club at the moment with a manager like Guardiola. Leaving him say even for Ancelotti at Real Madrid seems like a tough challenge.

frostbite

Players want money and trophies. Are they going to get more elsewhere?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Undisclosed, unregulated, untaxed back handers on the side would be the reason. No one is going to match their wages.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This has always puzzled me.
Ronaldo was with Manchester United at the peak of our powers, one of the strongest teams in europe, winning league titles and champions league, full stadium chanting his name.
Big club, iconic club, rich club. Did not matter, Ronaldo was half way out of his house the moment Real looked his way.
Then you have Bale, Hazard, Suarez, you have Alonso, Mascherano and more before that.
The Spanish giants picking up the best players every year from the PL. Especially top players from Spain, Portugal and South America.

Silva and Aguero are 2 of the best players of the last 20 years. Yet, somehow, barely a whisper about any move to Spain. Magic.
I thought Real was always the bigger club, with all their history and Galaticos attraction at that time.

Some years before Ronaldo went there, they also got Beckham and Ruud from us, although one could argue they are being forced out of the club.

OmarUnited4ever

During SAF era, I don't remember us losing a starter/top player the club/SAF wanted to keep, apart from CR7 in 2009, anyone who left during SAF era was due to the club/SAF willingly letting them go, even Stam, Becks & RVN, Tevez was on loan.

So this is not exclusive to City, a lot of the top clubs who are dominating rarely lose a player against their will, it becomes huge when it happens (e.g. Neymar to PSG).

OmarUnited4ever

Sterling, Coutinho, Suárez and Xabi Alonso and Torres before that just in Liverpool's case.

Neymar in Barcelona's case.

Di Maria, Casemiro, Ozil, Morata, Hakimi, Odegaard in Real Madrid's case.

Thiago Alcantara and Lewandowski that I can think of in Bayern's case.
It is not fair to bring in Liverpool for losing Sterling, Coutinho, Suárez and Xabi Alonso and Torres, they left because they wanted to win trophies and Liverpool were shit pre-Klopp, that also applies to top players leaving Arsenal or Spurs too, they didn't win for a long long time, City in recent times, Barca, Madrid, and Bayern win consistently so they tend to be able to keep the players they want to keep, and can easily just offer them a better deal than elsewhere, in few times, like Alcaantra or Cas, they leave because they want something different after spending long years there, but usually they manage to keep at least most of the starting core of their teams, they do not get decimated as some teams (like Dortmund) do.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid

Silva and Aguero are 2 of the best players of the last 20 years. Yet, somehow, barely a whisper about any move to Spain.
Silva and Aguero moved from La Liga to the PL.

The answer is there, really. In Spain, only Real Madrid and Barcelona can sign the top, top players. If they don't (because they already have their own top players) then those guys have to move somewhere else, usually the PL.

Real Madrid have only signed a few starters from top teams in the 2nd Perez era: Ronaldo, Kaká, Alaba, Kroos, Hazard, and Rudiger. That's really only 4 clubs (United, Chelsea, AC Milan, Bayern). AC Milan is debatable, I think they already had money troubles and were trying to sell Kaka to City.

Last edited:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
They are very well paid, coached by one of the best managers in the world, in a club that has stability and is constantly challenging for top prizes.

Also, when compared to the top clubs, they are a well oiled machine with no internal politics. So all in all, why would anyone want to leave.

BerryBerryShrew

If my memory serves me right, not sure it's PSG or City made the threat that if any team try to poach/unsettle their player they will do the same to their player with their bottomless cash. Needless to say no sane club would want to mess with the oil rich state club.
It was PSG and it was allegedly only after Barca attempted to unsettle/sign Verratti that PSG did the unthinkable and activated Neymar's release clause.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Those transfers from big (successful) clubs don't happen that often these days anyway, at least if the club doesn't want to sell. We have not been successful recently so we're not in the tier 1.