Why did we buy Fred?

Devil may care

He's a Jack of all trades type of CM so he doesn't fit a definitive role in the midfield 3 at the moment.

PoTMS

I have no idea. I mean you look at other clubs and see certain teams go for certain players that fit into their system but our transfer strategy seems to be scattergun. I mean our team is crying out for Jorginho yet we were nowhere to be seen while City and Chelsea were fighting over him.

Josep Dowling

Because you think he’ll prove worth the money in time, I’d guess. It’s not uncommon for players needing time to adapt. Heck, we’ve got 55m Keita and 40m Fabinho who aren’t guaranteed starters yet. And in Fabinho’s case far from it.
They’re not guaranteed because your midfield is working well as a unit and are winning games.

We on the other hand aren’t. The players I have seen replace him have been worse than Fred. Fred can’t get use to the pace of the league if he doesn’t play.

One of the things I can’t stand with Mourinho at the moment. One bad game and that player is out. Players need to get into form. Look at Martial for example.

Our other midfielder option aren’t good enough to drop a £50m player after one bad game.

Alabaster Codify7

Another of Jose's signings that he doesnt fancy. He can't moan about no more money being given to him, he wastes it.
Fred, for the record, seems bang average to me.

Canagel

He isn't a holding midfielder, he didn't play there for Shaktar, Stepanenko does. And he averaged a whopping 1.1 interceptions per 90 mins in the CL last season. I'm going to hazard a guess that isn't even close to being one of the highest. Not a single thing you've just said is correct.
Sorry not interceptions but challenges/tackles. 2.9 per game in the CL. He played holding midfield in the games against City and completed their most passes in both of the games. It's his best position.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...anchester-united-where-will-midfielder-fit-in

Handré1990

Not sure how good he really is, but I’m sure as hell not going to judge him yet, maybe not even this season. I think we tend to forget how much easier it is to hit the ground running when the TEAM is functioning. Are we a functioning unit? Anyone?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
They’re not guaranteed because your midfield is working well as a unit and are winning games.

We on the other hand aren’t. The players I have seen replace him have been worse than Fred. Fred can’t get use to the pace of the league if he doesn’t play.

One of the things I can’t stand with Mourinho at the moment. One bad game and that player is out. Players need to get into form. Look at Martial for example.

Our other midfielder option aren’t good enough to drop a £50m player after one bad game.
I see what you’re saying, but it’s still too early for you to be worried about him, imo. Going from the Ukranian league to PL is a big step, I’d guess.

el3mel

Said multiple times he's not a Mourinho signing at all and it's obvious but people were laughing.

Mourinho doesn't fancy him, but our scouts probably said they were good and Mourinho said "ok, go for it" or some thing like that. When the results went shite he immediately dropped him for good.

Whether he'll come good or not under the next manager is something to see but I think he's very down in the pick order for Mourinho at the moment.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Sorry not interceptions but challenges/tackles. 2.9 per game in the CL. He played holding midfield in the games against City and completed their most passes in both of the games. It's his best position.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...anchester-united-where-will-midfielder-fit-in
Once again no, Stepanenko is their defensive holding mid. Fred is a B2Ber. 2.9 tackles per 90 which puts him behind over 50 other players. Not even close to being the best. He was also dribbled past 2.3 per 90. Not the stats of a holding mid at all. It isn't his best position because it isn't his position at all.

And I'm not sure why you've posted an article which describes him as a box-to-box midfielder to try back up that he is a holding mid.

Fluctuation0161

Give him time to adapt and make the step up to Premiership standard. It takes time for some players to adapt.

Jeez, I remember how bad Evra and Vidic were in their first season with us.

Canagel

Once again no, Stepanenko is their defensive holding mid. Fred is a B2Ber. 2.9 tackles per 90 which puts him behind over 50 other players. Not even close to being the best. He was also dribbled past 2.3 per 90. Not the stats of a holding mid at all. It isn't his best position because it isn't his position at all.

And I'm not sure why you've posted an article which describes him as a box-to-box midfielder to try back up that he is a holding mid.
Under Fonseca they moved him to holding midfield. Doesn't matter if Stepanenko is beside. They are double pivot in that case. Shakhtar signed him to replace Fernandinho so that ends the discussion. Fernandinho is a holding midfielder. And explains why City wanted him. He was going to be the long term replacement for Fernandinho.

"Fonseca allows me to play both offensively and defensively, and my main task is to change the direction of attacking moves. Under Lucescu, forwards and full-backs were responsible for that, but now I am the conductor. Everything had changed completely. The coach trusts me and sees qualities that went unnoticed by Lucescu,"
Quotes by Fred.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
How can he be assessed in any way whatsoever if he doesn't play?

Particularly in Europe where he has a lot of experience.

You can't give up on him without even giving him a chance. We kept persisting with Sanchez, even though he didn't cost us a penny.

Play the cnut, ffs, how is he ever going to get used to the league?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Said multiple times he's not a Mourinho signing at all and it's obvious but people were laughing.

Mourinho doesn't fancy him, but our scouts probably said they were good and Mourinho said "ok, go for it" or some thing like that. When the results went shite he immediately dropped him for good.

Whether he'll come good or not under the next manager is something to see but I think he's very down in the pick order for Mourinho at the moment.
What a fecked up situation if true.

RedStarUnited

The strangest thing about all this is that we dropped him after his best performance, which could have been a catalyst for a good run of form for him.
This has been a regular occurrence with Joses time with us. We bought and forced Sanchez in the team when Martial was in pretty good form.

Jose has never built on any good game we hve had.

Champagne Football

Luke Shaw was dumped on the bench for a long time when Jose arrived with little hope of a future here and now he looks essential. Lindelof was dumped on bench by Jose for most of his first season. Mkhitaryan too. Martial barely a look in and was the star today. So Fred's time will come. Adjusting from Ukranian league to Premier League takes time.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
I think players do not get enough encouragement and support from the manager. Take Depay as an example or Martial. Depay did not really get the time to show what he can do, and Martial is in and out of the team like crazy. Martial dropped also when he was on top form just so we could fit in Sanchez. I would actually have Martial as our striker with Lukaku as sub. Lukaku has a first touch like a lego block.

JK-27

Having him and Pogba in the same midfield doesn't tactically work, it has to be one or the other. Was clear as day that Fred wasn't what we needed in midfield, we needed a proper playmaker. Saying that he hasn't been given a proper chance and his exclusion seems like some sort of a message, who knows.
Pogba is supposed to be our playmaker, we don't need another, we need a midfielder who will allow Pogba to be further up the pitch making plays.

We've spent nearly £200m of Lukaku, Fred and Matic and all have major question marks.
And people just want us to plough on spending to bring a manager players without first assessing what the feck has gone wrong .
What question marks does Lukaku have? Our top scorer who clearly needs a rest.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, we should write him off after 10 games. I think people just have to accept, you can’t buy the finished article for 50m anymore.

Not sure why people quote Keita as a successful transfer, he’s done nothing so far.

Ekeke

I dont know, but its a pretty shocking sight to be seeing Mata starting instead of him in CM. We're back to LVG ideas

Ekeke

Yeah, we should write him off after 10 games. I think people just have to accept, you can’t buy the finished article for 50m anymore.

Not sure why people quote Keita as a successful transfer, he’s done nothing so far.
Obviously you can buy the finished article for £50 million. There are lots of players doing well this season that cost considerably less. Ridiculous

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Obviously you can buy the finished article for £50 million. There are lots of players doing well this season that cost considerably less. Ridiculous
I mean you can, but realistically, it’s not guarenteed. Prices have spiralled, where as before you’d be spending 50m on a guaranteed certain goals a season player, etc.

Ekeke

I mean you can, but realistically, it’s not guarenteed. Prices have spiralled, where as before you’d be spending 50m on a guaranteed certain goals a season player, etc.
Its never ever guaranteed and never was that a big money signing will definitely work out.

Sterling Archer

Simple equation: he joined from the Ukranian league, is Brazilian, and into a team that's overall had a shambolic season.

Slow introduction might be one of the slim chances of not curtailing his United career .

Kapardin

His situation cannot be compared with Mkhi, or Liverpool's Keita or Fabinho. Mkhi was clearly not ready according to Jose in the initial half of the season and didn't even play. With Keita, likes of Milner are playing very well and becoming undroppable, so he's not getting a chance. Fabinho hasn't played as apparently there are doubts as to whether he can cope with the league as yet.

Fred had played very well against Wolves and looks energetic whenever he comes on. So, why drop him after he had such a stellar game is a mystery.

Xaviboy

To stop Man city signing him just like we did with Sanchez.
Only thing we will beat city to is buying players cuz were not matching them when it comes to football.

luke511

Pogba is supposed to be our playmaker, we don't need another, we need a midfielder who will allow Pogba to be further up the pitch making plays.

What question marks does Lukaku have? Our top scorer who clearly needs a rest.
I said proper playmaker, as in the deep lying type, Pogba isn't that.. You saying we don't need one baffles me to be fair.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Give the lad chance. He's been playing in the Ukraine and just got a move to a big league. We're going to play a lot of games between now and the end of the season and Matic can't play them all.
Finally, someone talking sense.

Also, immediately after we bought him, someone wrote this post. I believe this person is a scout.

It is going to be really interesting to see how Fred does this year. He has potential for sure.

But people need to lower their expectations, for Freds own sake if nothing else. I have written some scouting reports on Fred earlier this year since I actually see him play quite regularly here in the Ukraine. He is not going to come in and boss Uniteds midfield, sorry but thats just naive. If he over the season starts to compete with Herrera and Fellaini for real I would deem it a success.

Fred is arriving from a league that nowadays is on the level of the minnow leagues in Europe. The Ukrainian league is not even on the level of a league like for example the Dutch Eredivisie. He and Shaktar plays 6 "real"games per year: all against Dynamo Kyiv who is not what they once were. Not even close. The conflict here has drained the Ukrainian football of all money except for Shaktars oligarch-sponsored team.

The premier league here even changed the system so that we would have 4 games in the league between Shaktar and Dynamo per season instead of two. Add to that the cupfinal and supercup we get 6 "real" games per year domestically.

Add to that that the Dynamo of today are a shadow of what "we" once were; its practically the Ukrainian U21-team. Had to get rid of all the "expensive" imports if they even were that. Funny enough Dynamo edges Shaktar in their head-to-heads this season. What that says about Shaktars quality I dont know but that game will always be a war whichever players wear respective shirt so I guess maybe not so much....

Add to those six games Shaktars ventures into Europe you have the games from which its possible to judge Fred on. He has performed good in Europe without standing out. But playing in Europe is something different than playing in the Premier League. He isnt used to play more than 10-15 "real" games per season and the tempo and grind of the PL will be a challenge and hopefully not a shock.

And he doesnt speak English at all btw. He is a hard worker though and seems to have is head screwed on straight compared to other Brazilians that play and have played for Shaktar over the years.

Its a real step up for him and I just hope that everyone gives him a season at least to adapt. I think Mourinho will and that he will be used sparingly to begin with as should he be. I get a bit worried when I read some of the posts here though.

Johan07

But that comes back to why buy him then? We need players that can make an instant impact, buy the best available from the Premier League like we use to i.e Mahrez who would have improved our right side.

I could understand if we paid like £25m-£30m but £50m, I don’t buy this adapting to the Premier League nonsense. So many players have proved they can do it if their good enough.
But that is a completely different question IMO. I wrote a lot of posts and a few scouting reports about Fred in his original thread since I live in the Ukraine and actually watched him quite a bit before his move. I tried to make the point over and over again that people were seriously overestimating his ability to come to the PL and make an instant impact and boss the United midfield.
And I got slaughtered for this trying to "diss" this super-player when I was actually just trying to prevent what is happening now; people having too much expectations,
And tbf: todays 50m IS yesterdays 25m, or even less. 50m is not that much anymore (however strange that sounds); its more the going rate for just what Fred is: a promising player that needs time to adapt and develop.
Should we have gone for a "bigger" and more ready name; maybe. But it would have cost even more, much more. And again; that is a different question for me.

Johan07

Finally, someone talking sense.

Also, immediately after we bought him, someone wrote this post. I believe this person is a scout.
Aha, its nice when one doesnt need to post "told you so guys" by oneself. Guess I was kinda right though. Told you so)

BlueHaze

Adjusting from Ukranian league to Premier League takes time.
That is true but to adjust you have to play. Spending 50m on someone and making him a bench warmer is an utterly disgraceful decision. Him and Bailly alone are 80m worth of bench warmers.