Why did we buy Fred?

Irwin99

Not many of our buys ever seem to come into the team and settle in well from day one. I have hopes that Fred could be a good player for us, especially in a counter attacking set up like today. Wonder if Jose will use him more in the Champions League.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He will be good. He needs to adapt on PL and Jose is playing safe with him. And positive thing is that he was solid in his games. I have no doubt in him.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Not every player can automatically come into the PL and perform at a top class.

He played in Russia, which is much less competitive and not as demanding as the PL.

Give the lad more than 9 games into his first season in the PL ffs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not every player can automatically come into the PL and perform at a top class.

He played in Russia, which is much less competitive and not as demanding as the PL.

Give the lad more than 9 games into his first season in the PL ffs.
You are really from Manchester? Imagine if someone says to you Liverpool/Manchester, same thing;).

Asger

Í wonder if Liverpool fans are thinking the same about Fabinho. I’m sure both Klopp and Mourinho feels they are not ready for PL yet.

simplyared

I mean seriously we must be the only club that would pay £50m for a player then he can’t even make the first 11. Especially when the likes of Fellaini and McTominay are preferred options.

Why did we buy him if he isn’t good enough to come straight into the first 11? If he’s not settling quickly surely we should be assessing this stuff as part of the scouting?

This is part of the problem, we keep buying players that should improve the first 11 but almost immediately revert back to players who haven’t been up to the mark, hence why we are trying to replace them.

The same thing happened with Mkhitaryan, Bailly and Lindelof.
Fair point! I've had concerns from the beginning with this player. Firstly, even though he made the Brazilian squad in the World Cup, he didn't feature. Then going on the games he's played for us he's not impressed. Far too raw imo. Therefore, no we shouldn't be paying that sort of money for a player who is nowhere near the finished product. Fecking crazy!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I mean seriously we must be the only club that would pay £50m for a player then he can’t even make the first 11. Especially when the likes of Fellaini and McTominay are preferred options.

Why did we buy him if he isn’t good enough to come straight into the first 11? If he’s not settling quickly surely we should be assessing this stuff as part of the scouting?

This is part of the problem, we keep buying players that should improve the first 11 but almost immediately revert back to players who haven’t been up to the mark, hence why we are trying to replace them.

Do you think we would've bought him if we knew he wouldn't make the starting XI ?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why did we buy Fred?
To free up Pogba, but he's been very underwhelming in the more advanced positions.

Fred hasn't suffered because he's not played well enough, he's suffered because Pogba hasn't played well enough.

3KDré

To free up Pogba, but he's been very underwhelming in the more advanced positions.

Fred hasn't suffered because he's not played well enough, he's suffered because Pogba hasn't played well enough.
Really? I think Pogba has been our best player this season and has only really been hurt by a few mistakes defensively and his teammates not performing well enough.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
You are really from Manchester? Imagine if someone says to you Liverpool/Manchester, same thing;).
When I say Russia I obviously meant the Russian Premier League. I was talking about the playing standards of the league not the living standards.

If you are going to be pedantic and picky then at least read the whole message that I wrote instead of taking part of it out of context.

el3mel

When I say Russia I obviously meant the Russian Premier League. I was talking about the playing standards of the league not the living standards.

If you are going to be pedantic and picky then at least read the whole message that I wrote instead of taking part of it out of context.
Ukraine not Russia mate.

Last edited:

Mcking

It's Ukraine.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

He's never played in the Russian Premier League.

Josep Dowling

Do you think we would've bought him if we knew he wouldn't make the starting XI ?
I don’t even know what this club is trying to do anymore. My point is Mourinho is complaining he needs more to invest in the squad but I have named 4 players he has signed which haven’t gone straight into the starting 11.

That is just bad recruitment. Especially when those 4 players have cost the club nearly £150m.

crossy1686

career ending
That is true but to adjust you have to play. Spending 50m on someone and making him a bench warmer is an utterly disgraceful decision. Him and Bailly alone are 80m worth of bench warmers.
You can't call people a disgrace for paying the market rate for a player. £30m - £50m gets you squad rotation players in the current market. Going on like it's your money that's been spent.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

He played in Ukraine not Russia

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You crazy pedants and your insistence on naming the right countries. Bah.

Last edited:

Gandalf

We are not quite quarter of the way into his first season and he is making the transition to a new country, a new team and a new league which by any measure is far tougher than the league he came from. Trying to judge if he is a success or not at this point is like noticing it is chilly in May and saying it is going to be freezing all summer.

I saw a comment about Jose not being behind the signing and I can't buy into that logic at all, I do think that maybe it is fair to say Jose wanted him in conjunction with some other names and the fact he didn't get the winger and CB he wanted might have impacted his use of Fred a little but to say Jose doesn't fancy him or didn't scout him first is Daily Mail level nonsense.

If Jose played him in every game straight away and he is not ready then he could ruin his confidence and wreck the investment he has made, if the lad needs time to get up to speed then give it to him and lets judge where he is after he has a full season under his belt. The limited game time he has had so far has shown that he definitely has talent and a good motor but also lacks a little of the tactical sense and discipline required in the PL which can certainly be developed by gradually increasing his game time and letting him find his feet in the reserves and as a squad player until he is fully ready to go.

Reactions: Penna

Crashoutcassius

Like who?
mahrez 60m bernardo silva 55m john stones 50m mangala 42m. jesus danilo gundogan and bony 30m. none of these are guarantee starters. us signing fred for 50m and him not 'walking into first 11' isn't a big deal, neither is paying 35m for bailly and lindelof and them not 'walking into first 11'

Carl

Really? I think Pogba has been our best player this season and has only really been hurt by a few mistakes defensively and his teammates not performing well enough.
I don't think Pogba has been bad by any stretch, but when he's played in that advanced role I don't think he's given us what we need.

Carl

:lol:

Gandalf

His situation cannot be compared with Mkhi, or Liverpool's Keita or Fabinho. Mkhi was clearly not ready according to Jose in the initial half of the season and didn't even play. With Keita, likes of Milner are playing very well and becoming undroppable, so he's not getting a chance. Fabinho hasn't played as apparently there are doubts as to whether he can cope with the league as yet.

Fred had played very well against Wolves and looks energetic whenever he comes on. So, why drop him after he had such a stellar game is a mystery.
Stellar is putting it a bit strong but he was decent in that game however the answer is really not all that mysterious. We are shaky at the back and a midfield with Pogba and Fred does not provide the cover our back 4 seem to require at the moment and clearly Pogba is not going to be the one to make way for a more defensively minded player. I do think that if we were to sign a top drawer CB in January who could do for our defence the job VVD is doing for Liverpool it would open up the possibility of playing Fred and Pogba together in a more attack minded team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
His new problem now is formation. We bought him as some box to box midfielder for 433. Now if Jose decides to switch on 4231 with Mata, then it will be a problem for him. But this is signing who can't be bad. He is good player and he will prove that. Plus as one poster said, we always can sell him for at least 30mil

hobbers

Why did we buy Fred?

Because he fitted nicely into the pattern: Lindelof, Bailly, Lukaku, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Depay, Darmian, Rojo.

Ashley R1+O

I don't know why we paid 50m for him, but we didn't buy him so he could spend about 3 minutes on the field and then people complain about that he's shit. Have some patience ffs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't know why we paid 50m for him, but we didn't buy him so he could spend about 3 minutes on the field and then people complain about that he's shit. Have some patience ffs.
Exactly. At least he showed in nearly every game that he is good player. So he is now a flop only because he don't play? And he is only here 2 months ffs

Castia

mahrez 60m bernardo silva 55m john stones 50m mangala 42m. jesus danilo gundogan and bony 30m. none of these are guarantee starters. us signing fred for 50m and him not 'walking into first 11' isn't a big deal, neither is paying 35m for bailly and lindelof and them not 'walking into first 11'
But they have a quality squad whilst we are giving minutes to McTominay and Fellaini, if we spend £50m on a midfielder he should be getting picked.

It’s like Mahrez he’s up against Sane, Sterling and B.Silva for his spot.....you could forgive him not making the starting 11 every week.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Nope we arent the only club to ever buy players and not play them. Also theres this thing called competition and also tactics.

simplyared

Most of those players you name are part of a very strong set-up built to compete at the highest level. City, sorry to say, are light years ahead of us in every dept. Players the likes of Stones, Mahrez, Gundogan and Silva can play in City's starting line-up and produce top class displays. Fred, Lindelöf and Bailly were bought to go straight into our team as replacements for other players who were ageing, injury prone or just not good enough to play at the level required. So any comparison with those city players is totally irrelevant!

Crashoutcassius

But they have a quality squad whilst we are giving minutes to McTominay and Fellaini, if we spend £50m on a midfielder he should be getting picked.
That isn't really what I was responding to though, more the claim that we shouldnt spend 50m on a midfielder without him being a fixture in the first 11.

Fellaini has had a terrific season too so not ridiculous that he plays ahead of a guy new to the league

Today again we played great - and people come in here and say we should be playing fred... presumably playing worse but should play him anyway? All really wierd to me

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
That is true but to adjust you have to play. Spending 50m on someone and making him a bench warmer is an utterly disgraceful decision. Him and Bailly alone are 80m worth of bench warmers.
So what you are saying is if you go for enough money you dont have to try hard enough to stay in the team? Sounds like a recipe for success.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Same reason Andreas can't get in the team. His qualities aren't what Jose thinks the team need in midfield right now.

Castia

Same reason Andreas can't get in the team. His qualities aren't what Jose thinks the team need in midfield right now.

Same as Lindelof and Bailly don’t seem to be what he wants in defence yet he signed all 3 players for around £110m.

At what point do we ask why the hell is he signing these players.

Quinzaine

It's only been a few weeks. He's still settling in. If no progress is made this time next year then it might be cause for concern.
This time next year? That's awfully long. If he isn't playing regularly for us by Christmas time then something is definitely the matter. He cost us 50m pounds and an investment like that has to be utilized.

Gavinb33

Give him a chance before writing him off.

He's come from a different league and needs time to settle, Vidic took a while to settle into form when he came from the Russian league, if we are still talking about him not settling or getting a good amount of games by the end of the season we can start to worry

Reactions: Penna