Why did we buy Fred?

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
He's on the squad now so let's give him a few more chances before writing him off altogether. Skepticism that he'll succeed is warranted there's not a lot to lose in giving him a few more chances. It's not as though we're on the cusp of winning the PL this season, is it?
Not a lot to lose....erm what about top 4 and the extra money which each season is equivalent to a Fred! We would be better off making top 4 and calling Fred a sunk cost and can then bed him slowly or sell him.

The gap between 4th and 5th is financially massive. The gap between 1st and 2nd is tiny.

buckooo1978

I see comments in here like Train wreck and lacking talent and I am slightly baffled

We spent a lot of money on this guy and he's not an elite player based on a number of reports I've read on him from people who followed him in the Ukraine

at the same time how can anyone make judgements on him based on the limited football we've seen - it baffles me how anyone can write him off so soon

probably the same people who wrote off Lindelof.... I'm assuming they say Dalot, who's game time has been limited and impact mixed as a write off too.....

give the guy a chance

Kaos

I constantly forget we have this fella. Not entirely promising considering he was a recent £50million summer signing :lol:

Noc-Z

ffs
I think he's got skills and could adapt to the league given a run of games in a well defined role. But what would that role be and who would he replace at the moment? Hard to see him as a better option than Pogba or Herrera so he just doesn't fit. Silly signing. But not his fault.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thing is I've seen potential in him, he's a good passer and can get the ball out of his feet fast when being pressed. He just has phases or games were it's all a bit fast for him.

He's new to the premiership which (let's face it) is an intense and quick league. The only issue I see is that he needs to speed it all up, get used to the pace. I don't know what the feck some of you have been watching (if as you say, you've seen nothing from him), lots of nonsense being posted in here...

If he never gets up to speed then ok, we have a problem, but at least give the guy a season. It's not even controversial to suggest that... This place baffles me sometimes.

Andersons Dietician

The positions he plays we just have better fits for us currently, if something happened to Pogba he could probably play in that role and the same with Herrera’s role just not at the standard required. Could probably do the job of Lingard as well really and I hope at some point we will see more of him.
Seen little bits of the quality he obviously has which makes me hopeful for the future if he can get to grips with the league and so on.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm just unsure where he fits in here and to that effect, we've essentially spent £60m on a squad utility player. Someone who will play the odd Cup game for 60mins. Poor, poor recruitment to be honest.

I see little bursts in him to suggest he's a decent player but decent - not someone who can command a first-team spot.

Yakuza_devils

He played defensive mid under Lucescu at Shaktar if I'm not mistaken. Then the new coach came in and moved him to a more box to box position because his forward passing and dribbling was okay.

Being Romanian I used to watch Shaktar's game and he looked alright at DM. Thing is that he looked much more aggressive and much more sure of himself, but that;s normal in the Ukrainean league.

I think he said in an interview that he didn't really liked being deployed by Lucescu at DM.

He's a neat player, but he needs to learn English. I noticed a few times that, during matches, people used to scream at him and he didn't understand shite form what they were saying.
I feel that he is not suitable to be DM in English league because he loses ball in dangerous position and not very good in break up play and defending.

I think he is more suited to box to box as he has some good passes in him and link up play quite well. However, he need to improve his stamina and speed in order to succeed in this league.

Inter Yer Nan

I'm willing to give him until next season to pass proper judgement. There's some talent in there and for Mourinho to have forked out on him, Pep to have wanted him and having featured a number of time for Brazil, he's probably being written off a little too soon.

simplyared

Just cannot see a goal in him tbh. Which was also the case with Andersson. We cannot afford to have a player in that position who doesn't score and not only that loses possession far too often in dangerous positiions. Ole wont risk him in important games so he'll probably feature in less important fixtures as it stands now. Considering what we paid for him he should be far nearer the finished product than what he is.

haram

He snubbed us in 2017-18 season, he handed the transfer request in 2019 Jan. That's 1.5 years between 2 sets of actions.

Obviously we have to ignore what players said, what Inter directors said but have to go by theories made up by fans.

Btw one big change is finally Inter have someone who can make hard decisions.
He is not going to say yeah I wanted to leave for United but Inter and Spalletti made me stay is he...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is not going to say yeah I wanted to leave for United but Inter and Spalletti made me stay is he...
Well he is saying more or less same thing. He was thinking about leaving but manager convinced him to stay. Inter director also said there is no way Perisic would have been sold without other player (Martial) involved in the deal. But lets ignore all that, who cares. Lets stick to "board didn't back Jose" thing.

haram

Well he is saying more or less same thing. He was thinking about leaving but manager convinced him to stay. Inter director also said there is no way Perisic would have been sold without other player (Martial) involved in the deal. But lets ignore all that, who cares. Lets stick to "board didn't back Jose" thing.

The point is our board did not want to pay the price for Perisic. Perisic did not snub us.

roonster09

Scout
The point is our board did not want to pay the price for Perisic. Perisic did not snub us.
There is no point paying the money when player is not interested in the move. Might be flash news but not everyone dream of playing for ManUtd, Jose, PL.

haram

There is no point paying the money when player is not interested in the move. Might be flash news but not everyone dream of playing for ManUtd, Jose, PL.
Somehow he is interested in joining Arsenal though. Don’t delude yourself. He would have joined us if we paid the price.

roonster09

Scout
Somehow he is interested in joining Arsenal though. Don’t delude yourself. He would have joined us if we paid the price.
Do you even know what delude means?

Again same shit. ManUtd's interest was in 2017-18 season, Arsenal interest was in 2019 Jan. 1.5 years in between 2 and lot of things change, one of them is Inter have someone who doesn't take any shit from players and don't give him pay rise for every transfer request.

We have to ignore what player said, what Inter director said but have to go by Jose fan boys theories :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Wonder why Spaletti said this , 2 very different statements on Perisic and Kondogbia. Obviously one wanted to stay and other wanted to leave.

"Perisic is determined to remain," Spalletti said via Sky Sports Italia following Inter's 1-0 friendly win over Real Betis.

"He spoke like a player who wants to do well and be professional."

Spalletti spoke less favourably about want-away Inter midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia.

Kondogbia is keen to leave for Valencia in La Liga and Spalletti criticised the Frenchman's behaviour after he skipped training on Thursday without permission.

"Kondogbia has been very disappointing and his behaviour does not reflect the person we know. He is damaging himself with this behaviour," Spalletti said.

"He wants to go to Valencia on loan and save a bit on his wages, but he wants it too easy… When there is something you don't agree on, you find a middle ground. Considering the money spent on him, it's difficult.

Aloysius's Back 3

Inter wanted martial. Even if that is not true - what Jose wanted to do was sell Martial & replace him with perisic.

He was going to bring perisic here by convincing everyone that he can cover us at wingback - only for him to suddenly drop martial as soon as he arrived.

Not many were surprised when Martial on form was instantly dropped as soon as Sanchez was bought.

Money was only one thing out of the many ways Jose didn't get what he wanted - some were his own faults & views of football :D

haram

What’s the point of debating with someone who is just going to throw around childish phrases like “Jose fan boy”. Perisic was being professional, that’s all. Im done here anyway.

cyril C

Then he will fail. He's not an attacking midfielder. His role is to provide a platform from deep to open up defences .

If I remember correctly, he played as DMF in Ukraine. So he is more like a Herrera backup because we can't trust him as DMF yet.

cyril C

Inter wanted martial. Even if that is not true - what Jose wanted to do was sell Martial & replace him with perisic.

He was going to bring perisic here by convincing everyone that he can cover us at wingback - only for him to suddenly drop martial as soon as he arrived.

Not many were surprised when Martial on form was instantly dropped as soon as Sanchez was bought.

Money was only one thing out of the many ways Jose didn't get what he wanted - some were his own faults & views of football :D
Perisc plays on the left as well. Why can't we find a proper RW instead.

Adebesi

I was thinking maybe it was because his name rhymed with "bred", so it would be useful for the song.

But then I thought, "red" rhymes with "bred". And that is easy to fit into a United song. So it cant be that.

So now Im going with a theory that once he gets used to the PL he'll be a decent midfielder for us.

Litch

Just a bit of patience and let's see whether he's good enough. I think it's difficult as the three in midfield are currently playing so well anyway which is limiting his playing time. I think also given that we are in touching distance of top 4, I'm guessing it's now become harder to experiment.

lex talionis

Not a lot to lose....erm what about top 4 and the extra money which each season is equivalent to a Fred! We would be better off making top 4 and calling Fred a sunk cost and can then bed him slowly or sell him.

The gap between 4th and 5th is financially massive. The gap between 1st and 2nd is tiny.
We can’t buy a new midfielder before the summer transfer window and we can’t play Pogba/Herrera/Matic every single game.

Players who are on the books have to given a chance. Let him have a go against relegation fodder. The alternative of never giving our midfielders a rest will result in them collapsing the last 4-5 league matches of the season, which would be worse than giving Fred a chance against bottom feeders in March.

Yakuza_devils

If he can't earn a start vs Fulham while many midfielder like Pogba and Matic needed rest badly then he is very far away from development to be one of our regular player.

Hope we are not paying £50M for a midfielder not good enough to start vs Fulham. Ole need to trust the squad more and rotate better like what SAF used to do.