Why didn't Fergie choose Mourinho instead of Moyes?

Sir Erik ten Hag

The more I look at it, the more that decision looked strange.

I know Mourinho is criticized for his need of transfer budget and his fondness of "old guards". However that will fit perfectly with the squad Fergie left behind. It still got tough players with great mentality like Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Carrick, Rooney... (Although they were getting on). But this was the perfect age for players that Mourinho loved. He could have steadied the United ship after Fergie's departure. When things hit a rough patch (usually in his 3rd season), the next manager can step in without such pressure.

Moyes had no chance to win that dressing room's respect because he was only a midtable manager in all his career. What do you expect? Those players played under Fergie himself. Only Pep and Mourinho (at that time) could command similar respect from those players. I think even Klopp may have struggled back then to win those players's trust and respect.

Mourinho was waiting for Fergie's call all that summer, yet he was snuffed. And Moyes was offered an impossible job. Mourinho could have fired all the backroom staffs and people would treat it as normal. Moyes did it and there were already drama before the season even began.

Moyes instead of Mourinho at that time would forever be a mystery to me.

stevoc

Moyes was his boy, he could hardly trumpet British managers for over a decade and bemoan their lack of opportunities at the top clubs. But then choose a foreign manager the one and only time he was in a position to choose a manager for a top club.

Sir Erik ten Hag

He was officially announced as the new manager of Chelsea on June 3. That's one short summer.
I was under the impression that he waited until it was decided that he would not be our manager to accept Chelsea's offer. But you're right. It was not the whole summer as my memory was playing trick.

RVN1991

I was under the impression that he waited until it was decided that he would not be our manager to accept Chelsea's offer. But you're right. It was not the whole summer as my memory was playing trick.
Moyes was announced before the season even ended IIRC.

Maticmaker

There were many rumours around that time that SAF had asked Moyes to be his assistant, 2 years previously, so he could guide him into his job, but Moyes (apparently) didn't fancy giving up no.1 spot at Everton to be no.2 at OT.... and then to have to follow a legend like SAF....but then he did... go figure!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
because mourinho is a wanker

Revaulx

Maybe he did. It’s clear that he backed Moyes 100%, but that doesn’t mean he was his only suggestion.

Jeffthered

Think Admin needs to look at some of these threads. Rather odd ones springing up. Maybe football trauma or something....

Kaos

Wasn't it Sir Bobby (RIP) who had serious reservations about Mourinho's character and lack of grace? Or did I imagine that?

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Moyes was his boy, he could hardly trumpet British managers for over a decade and bemoan their lack of opportunities at the top clubs. But then choose a foreign manager the one and only time he was in a position to choose a manager for a top club.
Bollocks. Moyes was 5th choice. IIRC the club/Fergie spoke to Ancelotti, Pep, Mou. They all had agreed to move to other club.

MegadrivePerson

There's probably lot's of factors.

Ferguson (wrongly) saw a bit of himself in Moyes. Sir Bobby Charlton despised Mourinho too.

It's a real sliding doors moment in United history though. Mourinho would have done a better job than Moyes, I think everybody is certain about that.

Oranges038

Wasn't it Sir Bobby (RIP) who had serious reservations about Mourinho's character and lack of grace? Or did I imagine that?
He said something along the lines of him not being the right fit for Man Utd and he was right, the cnut should never have been even let in the door.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Sir Bobby said Jose was never a United manager.

Moyes was first choice was he?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
It was pretty much nailed on from after the Real Madrid Champions League game that Mourinho was heading for Chelsea.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The quality of the FF is going down big time. Not every question needs a new thread.

Cerberus

It was an unfortunate coincidence but Sir Alex ultimately retired at a moment where a lot of top managers were simply unavailable so he had to make do with Moyes. Don't think he (or anyone really) expected things to collapse so quickly.

Puskas_007

Absolutely, the Scottish managers used to meet up back in the day, at a time when Moyes was still quite young, they've know each other for decades and SAF knew Moyes would get the values and ethos etc, and re Mourinho, maybe the 2-3 year toxicity endgame that happens EVERY time was not what he wanted to leave the club with...?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
SAF was an old school. I remember an old interview of his were he clearly stated that one of his biggest achievements was that throughout time he made sure that every player from the academy ended up with a job. Towards the end of his career he was genuinely concerned about his coaching staff. Those were good people who had bled for his cause. Thus he thought that Moyes would be so grateful for the job that he would keep his people around. After all Moyes needed experienced staff around more then Mourinho did. Turned out that the opposite was true and SAF's hurt about it was evident in his autobiography.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Moyes was first choice was he?
Not from everything I've read.

We had a rough shortlist (which Moyes was on), but he wasn't at the top.

Pep had already agreed to go to Bayern, Ancelotti was in talks with Real, and Sir Bobby essentially vetoed any move to hire Mourinho.

Cerberus

Pep had already agreed to go to Bayern, Ancelotti was in talks with Real, and Sir Bobby essentially vetoed any move to hire Mourinho.
Did Sir Bobby have the power to do that or did you mean it in an informal sense?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Did Sir Bobby have the power to do that or did you mean it in an informal sense?
More informal. He didn't like Jose and didn't think he had the right attitude to lead the club. I tend to agree.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Why didn't he have his successor beside him on bench for a couple of seasons before he retired

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not from everything I've read.

We had a rough shortlist (which Moyes was on), but he wasn't at the top.

I meant to say wasn't first choice, sorry.

CallyRed

Think Admin needs to look at some of these threads. Rather odd ones springing up. Maybe football trauma or something....
The OP has a habit of creating shit threads but at least he cares. Similar to McTominay.

dinostar77

Depends on which journalist you choose to believe, Fergie wanted ancelotti/guardiola to replace him. Neither were available.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
The first time I had a feeling Moyes was a shoe-in to replace Sir Alex was that game at Goodison in late 2010 when Everton scored to two late goals to come away with a point and then two years later they did the same at Old Trafford. We know how Sir Alex truly believes that anything is possible from not giving up and how much pride he took in our habit of scoring late goals.

Personally, I think Moyes would have had a far better chance had we persisted with the continuity of the SAF regime. The fact he instantly got rid of Meulensteen and Phelan IIRC was an instant red flag and the coaches he got from Everton had no skin in the game.

On a sidenote, how ironic it is that Arsenal who are thriving right now have two coaches from underwhelming United eras. Round from the Moyes season and Stuivenberg from LvG’s season. We are literally a stepping stone for aspiring young coaches, we only exist for them to learn from their mistakes :lol::lol:

dinostar77

Why didn't he have his successor beside him on bench for a couple of seasons before he retired
He wasnt planning retirement. Cathy's (his wifes) sister died earlier in the season and she waa very close to her. Fergie said Cathy had scarificed enough, as football meant he didnt spend as much time with her as he should and the death hit her really hard, she was really lonely without her.

He said if he planned retirement properly, he would have got giggs to retire earlier from playing so he could be fergies assistant for a few years and get a proper mentorship.

fps

The first time I had a feeling Moyes was a shoe-in to replace Sir Alex was that game at Goodison in late 2010 when Everton scored to two late goals to come away with a point and then two years later they did the same at Old Trafford. We know how Sir Alex truly believes that anything is possible from not giving up and how much pride he took in our habit of scoring late goals.

Personally, I think Moyes would have had a far better chance had we persisted with the continuity of the SAF regime. The fact he instantly got rid of Meulensteen and Phelan IIRC was an instant red flag and the coaches he got from Everton had no skin in the game.

On a sidenote, how ironic it is that Arsenal who are thriving right now have two coaches from underwhelming United eras. Round from the Moyes season and Stuivenberg from LvG’s season. We are literally a stepping stone for aspiring young coaches, we only exist for them to learn from their mistakes :lol::lol:
First paragraph spot on, and that was on him. I think Fergie saw a hard-working Scot and wanted to pass the torch.

AnotherLondonManc

SAF wanted a successor that would start a new dynasty at United. Mourinho was more of a mercenary who would've had other ambitions down the line. Moyes was meant to be at the helm at United for decades, as he was on his way to doing at Everton.

Ultimately, it was a decision based on perceived loyalty. In hindsight, it's the only explanation that makes sense as there was very little footballing reason for Moyes to take charge

frostbite

The more I look at it, the more that decision looked strange.

I know Mourinho is criticized for his need of transfer budget and his fondness of "old guards". However that will fit perfectly with the squad Fergie left behind. It still got tough players with great mentality like Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Carrick, Rooney... (Although they were getting on). But this was the perfect age for players that Mourinho loved. He could have steadied the United ship after Fergie's departure. When things hit a rough patch (usually in his 3rd season), the next manager can step in without such pressure.

Moyes had no chance to win that dressing room's respect because he was only a midtable manager in all his career. What do you expect? Those players played under Fergie himself. Only Pep and Mourinho (at that time) could command similar respect from those players. I think even Klopp may have struggled back then to win those players's trust and respect.

Mourinho was waiting for Fergie's call all that summer, yet he was snuffed. And Moyes was offered an impossible job. Mourinho could have fired all the backroom staffs and people would treat it as normal. Moyes did it and there were already drama before the season even began.

Moyes instead of Mourinho at that time would forever be a mystery to me.
Perhaps this will give you a better understanding:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/08/david-moyes-10-facts

SAF was a great manager, but he wasn't immune to nepotism.

TheRedHearted

The quality of the FF is going down big time. Not every question needs a new thread.
I’ve been feeling this for so long. It’s crazy, there’s the crazy formation threads that should be under the manager forum, there’s the what would have happened if (one of these types of forums), it’s insane

steffyr2

Because SAF knew Mourinho was and is a cnut. Feck him.
Remember how when Mourinho was at Utd, Redcafe went all in pro-Pogba? And how that player power was just a fact that Mourinho was going to have to get used to?
Honestly, after ETH, I think Redcafe should get out of manager selections. We don't have a clue.