Why didn't we sign a right-winger?

JK-27

He was swapped for a player that would cost upwards of 40m in this market and Sanchez is one of the best paid players in the world his contract takes up a decent part of our overall budget.

Why do people think Alexis was free he cost a fortune.
I never said free, I just pointed out we didn't buy him, and it's a fact we didn't. A fact you choose to ignore.

Media reports from tonight (not that they can be trusted) also state that Utd had money to do big deals, even says Woodward was prepared to spend £100million on Varane, so your point about Alexis impacting our summer transfer budget was and is bullshit.

keener

I'd say Left back before RW... but both would've been nice. Our hard push for a CB makes me think we'll play 3 CBs and 5 defenders including Young and Valencia for the games against the top half of the league.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The Young-Mata combo woeful today. Rashford and Lingard not suited. Still have no idea why we didn't bring someone in.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The Young-Mata combo woeful today. Rashford and Lingard not suited. Still have no idea why we didn't bring someone in.
Because obviously we needed a 6th CB.
Not fullbacks or RW. More CBs please!!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It really is bizarre. Even Mata doesnt know how he's still our starting RW.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why we didn't sign a right winger? I guess its the same reason why we've got washed up wingers as FBs, why we've got no cover for Matic and why we haven't strengthened CB. Budget is tight

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The club is spineless and doesn't learn. Same plan B in Fellaini for five years and now Mata who looks like half senile man with that beard.

It's slowly becoming insulting.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Why do you need a player hugging the touchline when you can have Mata's hugs :drool:

/s

RabbyD

No one wants to sign just now. Let's face facts. Would you sign to play in this current team or.for the manager?
Would you f...

The manager is horrendous and for 45 minutes you would have to listen to him on your side of the park.

Get shot of mourinho and as the film said.... they will come.

Seij

Because obviously we needed a 6th CB.
Not fullbacks or RW. More CBs please!!
Didn't even get that anyway because our board apparently either wanted to shoot for a clearly unavailable target or get no one.

marktan

Lingard, Rashford, Mata, Sanchez. None would get into Spurs, City, Chelsea or Pool's lineup. That says it all. None of them can actually dribble with the ball it's ridiculous.

I'm excluding Martial because who knows wtf's going on with him and Mourinho these days.

JK-27

If Mata knows he's not a right winger but is playing there for the good of the team fair enough, but he just looked slow and clueless today. He can't defend, he has no pace, once the ball has gone past him he can't recover, so Young had no support. When he's attacking, he doesn't have the pace to go past someone. For a right winger to have no pace is a killer, and he got sorely found out today by a below average side.

el3mel

Can't.believe there's still 12 months or so more of football to watch Mata stinking the place on the right. Nightmare.

JK-27

Lingard, Rashford, Mata, Sanchez. None would get into Spurs, City, Chelsea or Pool's lineup. That says it all. None of them can actually dribble with the ball it's ridiculous.

I'm excluding Martial because who knows wtf's going on with him and Mourinho these days.
Jose was right to bring him off. Martial was up against a guy playing his first Premier league game, yet Martial looked like the debutant who didn't know what to do. Jose is giving him chances, and he is consistently not taking them.

Why didn't we sign a right winger ?

This question has done the rounds a couple of seasons now and I think the answer is quite clear ,going by our non-existent transfer activity regarding this position.
The answer being : We're not getting one because the management clearly dont see the need for one.
Mahrez was arguably the most obvious choice for this role yet for 2 seasons we reportedly didn't even make a move.

manutddjw

I genuinely think Mourinho was happy with his options at fullback and right wing.

Valencia and Young work their socks off and do as their told. I think Lingard is our right winger. Again he works hard and comes up with a few goals. I do think he wanted a centre back though.

stevoc

The fact that Juan Mata has pretty much been the first choice right winger for Manchester United for going almost 5 years says a lot about our struggles post Fergie.

A club famous for having flying wingers down the years have resorted to playing a short, weak, slow, left footed player on the right wing. He can't defend and offers little to the attack, he's basically just a body to take a place. I like Mata as a player centrally but he's just not a winger and i'm honestly sick of watching him play there.

100% a new right winger should have been brought in over the summer. The summer Fergie retired we needed a right winger and a left back about as much as any other position bar CM. 5 years on we still haven't addressed those positions.

Dumbat12

Perisic and Willian were sought from what we can gather. Evidently Woodward did nothing about it because they're probably not marketable enough. We need a galactico right winger.

MadMike

So all the people who think that Mourinho was happy with the RW and quote his comments (from February I believe? ) make of the Willian comments who said Mourinho is always asking his agent to bring him to United. Do you like completely ignore it and pretend it never happened?

He added: "I don’t know if there was any official bid [from Manchester United], but some things have happened."

"Also, everything comes out on the internet, too. But Mourinho talks to my agent all the time, he says 'bring him, bring him'. No, he has never called me, but he always sends me text messages."

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/06/will...mid-transfer-links-manchester-united-7806701/
Doesn't sound like a man who didn't want to strengthen his RW to me.

nainaisson

Thank God our footballing expert Ed Woodward refused to pay the extra 5 million for Perisic because he isn't marketable enough and has a poor "sell on" value. I think we can all agree we'd rather have Mata and his tiny, slow dwarf legs than an old, ugly player who just happens to be one of the best wingers in Serie A.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Odd angle to take after today. We clearly need a top CB.
I've explained elsewhere.

Bailly nor Lindelof covered themselves in glory today but Bailly was playing RB and CB today, such was Young's and Mata's non-performance. Bailly was doing a terrible job of it, but he was constantly being asked to cover behind Young, who was pushing forward because Mata was nowhere to be seen.

Brighton's first goal, Mata let their LB run free causing Fred to run from further away to try and close him down and Bailly to shift over. If Mata or Young done their job, Bailly probably is in a position to intercept the cross.

I'm not excusing Bailly's performance by the way. Why he booted it out for a corner instead of a throw in or why he slid in, I don't know.

Renegade

Thank God our footballing expert Ed Woodward refused to pay the extra 5 million for Perisic because he isn't marketable enough and has a poor "sell on" value. I think we can all agree we'd rather have Mata and his tiny, slow dwarf legs than an old, ugly player who just happens to be one of the best wingers in Serie A.
We signed Sanchez 6months later so what you on about?
We weren’t after Perisic this summer. Jose said a few months ago he was happy with his forward options. Jose seems to think Willian is the only RW in the world.

Dumbat12

So all the people who think that Mourinho was happy with the RW and quote his comments (from February I believe? ) make of the Willian comments who said Mourinho is always asking his agent to bring him to United. Do you like completely ignore it and pretend it never happened?

Doesn't sound like a man who didn't want to strengthen his RW to me.
That has been obvious for two seasons now, but people here keep burying their head in the sand. He wanted Perisic, he didn't get him. He evidently wanted Willian, but he didn't get him, as well. Mourinho himself said he wanted 2 more signings (1 which was probably a defender - Toby) and probably a LB to replace Shaw. He didn't get that either. The only reason he moaned in the pre-season is probably because he was sick of Woodward not doing what he was asked to do. Their relationship turned sour last season and it definitely hasn't improved this season.

nainaisson

We signed Sanchez 6months later so what you on about?
We weren’t after Perisic this summer. Jose said a few months ago he was happy with his forward options. Jose seems to think Willian is the only RW in the world.
Perisic is ambipedal and therefore would have solved the RW issue. Sanchez prefers the left, obviously.

Plus, I'm not sure Mourinho lobbied Woodward to sign Sanchez. I think Sanchez's people offered him to the club and Woodward pounced, probably more due to economic reasons than footballing ones.

An Irish Red

Jose was right to bring him off. Martial was up against a guy playing his first Premier league game, yet Martial looked like the debutant who didn't know what to do. Jose is giving him chances, and he is consistently not taking them.
He doesn't get the best out of attacking players though. In his last season at Chelsea even a world class player like Hazard was struggling under his management.

The players deserve criticism for how awful they (all) were today but the manager is a big part in that as well.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I've explained elsewhere.

Bailly nor Lindelof covered themselves in glory today but Bailly was playing RB and CB today, such was Young's and Mata's non-performance. Bailly was doing a terrible job of it, but he was constantly being asked to cover behind Young, who was pushing forward because Mata was nowhere to be seen.

Brighton's first goal, Mata let their LB run free causing Fred to run from further away to try and close him down and Bailly to shift over. If Mata or Young done their job, Bailly probably is in a position to intercept the cross.

I'm not excusing Bailly's performance by the way. Why he booted it out for a corner instead of a throw in or why he slid in, I don't know.
Fair enough. I mentioned in the match day thread that Mata looked like an old man. It really stood out to my eyes.

mav_9me

It really is bizarre. Even Mata doesnt know how he's still our starting RW.
Fair enough. I mentioned in the match day thread that Mata looked like an old man. It really stood out to my eyes.
I've never seen him so bad.
It feels like we are playing with 10 men.

If his touch and passing are not 100% spot on, what's the point? Can't defend, can't run, can't hold on to the ball. Just cuts in and passes it sideways.

I like him a lot as a person but on the pitch he is a shadow of a player.

redIndianDevil

Perisic and Willian were sought from what we can gather. Evidently Woodward did nothing about it because they're probably not marketable enough. We need a galactico right winger.
Even Barcelona couldn't get Willian and again Inter were being beyond difficult when we tried to sign Perisic. We should have looked beyond those two IMO.

Ryan7

Do you watch him play for Inter consistently? Or are you basing it on his World Cup? Genuine question as some here deemed him inconsistent, and from reading posts on Forza Inter, Inter fans seem to echo that.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I honestly doubt we were after a RW! Mata cutting in and congesting the middle seems more like an instruction to me because of 2 reasons:

1. Mou likes positional discipline, if Mata doesn't offer that and he isn't offering physicality or the numbers, there is no way he would still be in the team
2. Whoever has played at RW (even Lingard yesterday or last season) has always come in inside towards the middle

If we were to play 4-3-3, it makes no sense to have Mata at RW, everyomne saw how poor he was towards the end of last season when we were playing this formation

Tyinde

If you really think that winning trophies is the motivition of why Glazers bought United, you are out of your mind.

Nikelesh Reddy

It seemed like an obvious position to improve to most folk. I can understand not bringing in a big name, if the value wasn't there etc. But surely we could have signed someone in the £20M or under bracket to at least add some depth, take a flyer on someone etc.

Is it money reasons?

It doesn't seem Mourinho is happy with our transfer dealings, but maybe that's over the CB fiasco, and he's fine with Mata and Lingard on the right?

Just seems bizarre to me. We weren't even linked with someone at the very end. Nothing.
It’s unfathomable...It was glaringly obvious that we needed a right winger last season,but we went ahead and signed another LW in January.Its ridiculous that we are stuck with Mata on the right for another season,although hopefully Lingard will take this opportunity to really establish himself on the right.I would pick Lingard ahead of Mata every day of the week...

Minimalist

What wingers do we have, never mind right wingers?

They are all doing a job there really. Only Young and Valencia are natural wingers and they don’t even play there anymore.

Backrow Singer

It’s definitely an area we’re lacking in. Time and time again we get into those wide areas but the final ball is poor or the cross is easily cleared.

Canagel

We needed one but we would've only moved for Bale, Willian or Perisic. No-one else. Despite the numerous right wingers we've missed out one.