Why do we get battered so often?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Our match day fanbase have to take some of the blame, do you think the players are afraid of the fans backlash when most of them will continue to clap like seals at what ever rubbish the players and the manager serve, look at how fans were cheering on the likes of moyes and ole when they were producing an awful run of results.

Even the owners get off very lightly by our easily.pleased fanbase
Seals are great. Stop dissing our seals.

JeffFromHK

David De Gea
  • He doesn’t organise his defence
  • He doesn’t command his area
  • He is easy to beat in one on one situations
  • His weak distribution constantly invites pressure onto us
The sooner we move on from him the better.
This. He is the best GK for opponent strikers to beat on 1v1s. While world class goalies like Neuer and Becker always expand their bodies and dash out the box ASAP in 1v1s, De Gea just loves standing still (no different from Barthez's taxi call, except hand is not raised) and keeps his body low, allowing rooms for opponents to chip the ball over him.

Irwin99

Erm, I'm old enough to remember getting beaten 5-0 and 6-3 by Newcastle and Southampton respectively in consecutive games. It happens. Ole's time as manager was an absolute car crash but it's a bit unfair to single him out for this.

What is indeed a major concern is the sheer size of the mental block our current set of players has when it comes to Liverpool.
i think the difference is those were rare events and you can expect the odd one (or at most two per season) but not 9 occasions in the past two seasons. The concern for me is the frequency it happens nowadays and the mental scars for the players. Certainly looking at the likes of Shaw, Bruno and even De Gea i did wonder if they ever thought 'here we go again' as things started to get bad.

Son

We have to give 110% to reach world class levels so our squad was burnt out yesterday.

Completely dead that second half. Improve the squad depth we no longer face this kind of situation in the coming years. This was more a letting go of discipline due to fatigue than a reflection of our clubs current level.

Play that game in a few weeks we might have got something. Pool had a freakishly good second half though granted but just the way the cookie crumbles somedays. We go again after rest hopefully.

We still have trophies to play for and will finish above Pool in the league. In the coming years with new owners our future is brighter than theirs will ever be so let them enjoy yesterday.

Infra-red

It's the curse of the big club with an average team. If we were a smaller club, we'd be sitting deep and defending for our lives every week. We'd win fewer games but we'd also take fewer hammerings.

If we had a team that matched our status and our history, we'd be fine, but for much of the last five years we're been under pressure to play expansive football, despite not having players capable of it. Every now and again, you're going to get pasted. We've simply become Arsenal circa 2011.

CallyRed

At least we don't get battered every where go, which according to chants, happens to West ham/Spurs/Chelsea quite a lot

Ludens the Red

Fragile, loser mentality. Arsenal 2013-2016 except the football isn’t nearly as good.
We have too many players who react very badly to huge setbacks in games. I’ve noticed that Shaw, Rashford and Mctominay tend to drop their heads and hide. For the first two I think that explains why we’ve seen such a huge extreme in form from them over the years. Where during one period they can look world class yet in another period like pub players.

Maguire, Dalot, Degea, Lindelof and Fred seem to start making inexplicable mistakes.

Bruno Fernandes loses all composure and seems to forget he’s a 28 year old adult man and not a 5 year old boy.
Considering two of the above mentioned players have been our captains during these multiple capitulations, it’s no surprise they can’t drag the team out of the hole.

Lee565

It's True, how many times in since fergie left have we really put pressure on the glazers as owners, once or twice qnd that is it for all the crap they have dumped on the club with huge debt, running the club terribly with a real lack of ambition to be the best team in the Premier league let alone Europe, holding funds back from fergie which left us needing almost an entire new team when he left as we were clinging to aging players and average one like fletcher (never the same after his illness) and cleverly.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
It's True, how many times in since fergie left have we really put pressure on the glazers as owners, once or twice qnd that is it for all the crap they have dumped on the club with huge debt, running the club terribly with a real lack of ambition to be the best team in the Premier league let alone Europe, holding funds back from fergie which left us needing almost an entire new team when he left as we were clinging to aging players and average one like fletcher (never the same after his illness) and cleverly.
What do you want the fans to do exactly?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Fragile, loser mentality. Arsenal 2013-2016 except the football isn’t nearly as good.
We have too many players who react very badly to huge setbacks in games. I’ve noticed that Shaw, Rashford and Mctominay tend to drop their heads and hide. For the first two I think that explains why we’ve seen such a huge extreme in form from them over the years. Where during one period they can look world class yet in another period like pub players.

Maguire, Dalot, Degea, Lindelof and Fred seem to start making inexplicable mistakes.

Bruno Fernandes loses all composure and seems to forget he’s a 28 year old adult man and not a 5 year old boy.
Considering two of the above mentioned players have been our captains during these multiple capitulations, it’s no surprise they can’t drag the team out of the hole.
The bolded part is simply not true.
Varane, Casemiro, Martinez, Bruno have all won with their national teams, Casemiro and Varane have won near enough everything.

philnguyen1994

Does anyone know if Sascha Lense, the sports psychologist Rangnick brought in, is still employed at the club? Made perfect sense at the time.

Ludens the Red

The bolded part is simply not true.
Varane, Casemiro, Martinez, Bruno have all won with their national teams, Casemiro and Varane have won near enough everything.
Well I didn’t mention the first three. But even with them in the squad this year we’ve still received the hammerings. They can’t carry everyone.
What did Bruno win with Portugal ? Bruno is actually a major culprit for a mental breakdown when it’s going badly for us.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It simply takes us to concede a couple of goals before we start losing our heads! Conceding 1 doesn’t bother us as we’ve coke back before lots. But when we concede 2 that’s over.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Because we have too many players that just don't have the mentality or the leadership ability for this level.

Our squad depth is piss poor...and so at the moment we are relying on the same 13ish players twice a week...every week.

Yesterday we saw both of those factors.

You need leaders all over the pitch...we don't have enough of them.

Resch

As a champion you sometimes get a knock down, but you stand up, take the hit and fight back. Maybe you have to fight yourself and your opponent for the next minutes but you will accept the fight, you will do anything possible to come back. Sometimes you loose, but you will never surrender. Our players did not accept the fight, their heads went down, they started acting like disappointed children. Maoning and whining. Thats a mentality problem, a mentality infected United under their owners. Winning is not everything, just qualifying for the CL is good enough. A mentality, which accepts moaning and whining, which accepts loosing without fighting, which accepts average. Our players try to win matches, but they do not want to dominante their opponents, they do not show any "Torgeilheit". Haaland once scored two or three goals in a Salzburg win, asked if he is happy with his game, he said: "No, because I should have scored 5." Salzburg trashed their opponents 5:0 or something. Haaland thought it should be a higher win. I can not see such a passion at United at the moment.

PoTMS

♪ United get battered... everywhere they go ♪

b20times

We didn't get battered, everyting they hit went in. We could have been 2-0 up easily on any other day, thought weghorst was outstanding by the way.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
We didn't get battered, everyting they hit went in. We could have been 2-0 up easily on any other day, thought weghorst was outstanding by the way.
A scoreline of 7-0 but we didn't get battered, if also could have been 9-10 very easily with how many times they ran in behind us

OrcaFat

The thread title is so funny.

I dunno. Who’d be a football fan?

Siorac

You misunderstood my post. I wasn't suggesting that you were one of the posters blaming Wout for the debacle yesterday - neither was I suggesting that him not being to blame was some kind of ringing endorsement. I agree we shouldn't remotely consider signing him on a permanent contract - I just find it bizarre that so many posters are laying into him in threads about the defeat, when he was about as far removed from the cause of the result as any player on the pitch.
I think that's because he's somewhat emblematic of our issues in a way. Which is, admittedly, monstrously unfair on him but still, hear me out: once again he's an attacker who is in the team primarily for his defensive contributions and work rate. No serious top club does that. None. Yet at United we always seem to need such players in big games because we take it for granted that we're technically inferior to the biggest clubs.

Again, it's unfair on Weghorst, certainly - he's doing his best with the very little talent he has. But it's frustrating.