Why do we need another CB?

Ekeke

If we're going to be more expansive, which you'd assume we'll have to be win the league, then Mourinho will need to trust his defenders to, well... defend. De Gea was called upon way too often last year and on too many occasions the attacking side of our game was reigned in because of Mourinho's reluctance to lessen the shield in front of the defence.

We conceded the second fewest goals last season, but I think most recognise that was helped in no small part by having the world's best goalkeeper and more men behind the ball. On the occasions when our defenders were exposed, it was like Bambi on ice back there.
You're just assuming things

And we didnt have that many men behind the ball most weeks. In fact our midfield wasnt often around to help our defense which means we had fewer than any organized team

Son Of Sam

We do not need a new CB.
Yes we do!

Jones & Smalling are Sunderland quality. We all saw how Hazard embarrassed Jones in the cup final & recently in the 3rd place play-off in Russia. In pecking order, he’s behind the following English defenders....Maguire, Stones, Cahill.

Smalling couldn’t even make Southgate’s WC squad. That’s an abomination - a situation most United fans should be angry about. I cannot recall anytime in Fergie 26 years where a United English defender did not start for the 3 Lions.

The poor investment or lack of quality signings have made us lag behind. In which big European clubs would Smalling & Jones get a start? I can’t think of any. It’s anout time we get rid of those players. They are simply not good enough.

AndyJ1985

I don't disagree that we need another CB, but prioritising one over a right winger baffles me. Last season we conceded 28 in the league, which is quite an impressive defensive record, potentially a league winning defensive record. Our problems came from our ineptitude in attack. It sums up Mourinho's mentality that he'd be willing to leave our right wing in tatters again if it means securing another centre back, of which he's already bought two.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
We need defenders that don't need an entire team defending in front of them and DDG godlike skills to keep clean sheets.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nope. If you are making the wrong decisions for two years on the trot then perhaps its time to question whether the decision maker's methodologies are the problem and not the players. If Mourinho wanted a CB, he should've taken care of all that the instant he came here and not two years into the project. Oh wait he did take care of it, two years ago and then apparently thought it wasn't enough, so he tried again last year. At some point his own decision making is going to need to be held to account and if he doesn't want to take responsibility for having bought two other CBs in the preceding two years then he isn't likely to take responsibility if this next one doesn't excel either.
But we don't really have much evidence that Mourinho isn't happy with the two centre backs he's bought. He was praising Bailly just last night for playing through an injury for him, and Lindelof doesn't really get a negative mention ever, and played a decent amount of matches approaching the end of the season.
Even with Bailly and Lindelof; Rojo, Jones and even Smalling aren't good enough to compete for the title. Transfer windows are about improving the quality of the squad, not quiet self reflection on previous signings.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But we don't really have much evidence that Mourinho isn't happy with the two centre backs he's bought. He was praising Bailly just last night for playing through an injury for him, and Lindelof doesn't really get a negative mention ever, and played a decent amount of matches approaching the end of the season.
Even with Bailly and Lindelof; Rojo, Jones and even Smalling aren't good enough to compete for the title. Transfer windows are about improving the quality of the squad, not quiet self reflection on previous signings.
Then that would be counterintuitive to buy another if he’s already happy with the five or so we have at a time when other squad positions are in need of upgarde.

Dec9003

Then that would be counterintuitive to buy another if he’s already happy with the five or so we have at a time when other squad positions are in need of upgarde.
It would, but hes blatantly not happy with the five centre backs we have if its true that hes looking to buy a new one.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Yes we do!

Jones & Smalling are Sunderland quality. We all saw how Hazard embarrassed Jones in the cup final & recently in the 3rd place play-off in Russia. In pecking order, he’s behind the following English defenders....Maguire, Stones, Cahill.

Smalling couldn’t even make Southgate’s WC squad. That’s an abomination - a situation most United fans should be angry about. I cannot recall anytime in Fergie 26 years where a United English defender did not start for the 3 Lions.

The poor investment or lack of quality signings have made us lag behind. In which big European clubs would Smalling & Jones get a start? I can’t think of any. It’s anout time we get rid of those players. They are simply not good enough.
Jones and Smalling are not Sunderland level that is hyperbole. And outside of Smalling and Jones there is still 3 other CBs.

Son Of Sam

Jones and Smalling are not Sunderland level that is hyperbole. And outside of Smalling and Jones there is still 3 other CBs.
Yes, they are!
You can dress it however you want but they are not United quality. They can’t defend, they don’t attack and they are appalling in possession.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It would, but hes blatantly not happy with the five centre backs we have if its true that hes looking to buy a new one.
If true then that's a Mourinho problem and we in worse shape than previously thought as we have a manager who is simply experimenting his way to staying afloat at United.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Bailly is terribly overrated on here. This ‘our best defender’ tag seems to have just been given and not earned.
This. He always looks like a mistake waiting to happen. Out of the ones we currently have I’d rather give Lindelof a chance alongside Maguire / Toby / whoever. He looked decent last season once he’d settled in and at the World Cup.

Dec9003

If true then that's a Mourinho problem and we in worse shape than previously thought as we have a manager who is simply experimenting his way to staying afloat at United.
It wouldn't be a Mourinho problem, it would be a centre back problem, which we definitely do have at the moment.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It wouldn't be a Mourinho problem, it would be a centre back problem, which we definitely do have at the moment.
No its definitely a Mourinho problem as it was he who bought Bailly and Lindelof. If we are to believe he made the wrong choices the past two years it doesn't in any way inspire confidence he won't do the same this year, which calls his decision making process into serious question.

gza the genius

We’re certainly missing an absolute top class center back. But we also just don’t have a right winger at all. I can't really understand why it seems like center back is our top priority now.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's a strange one, because it's one of the few positions I thought we were ok in for this window, yet it's suddenly a priority.

He's bought Bailly and Lindelof in, one has shown massive potential, the other enough to stick with, why he just doesn't stick to his guns and trust them, (with adequate back up already there) is very odd when we have such glaring deficiencies elsewhere.

Dec9003

No its definitely a Mourinho problem as it was he who bought Bailly and Lindelof. If we are to believe he made the wrong choices the past two years it doesn't in any way inspire confidence he won't do the same this year, which calls his decision making process into serious question.
Ok but as I previously said he doesn't seem unhappy with either of them. Buying Bailly and Lindelof has no implications on the quality of Smalling, Jones and Rojo, Three players who have shown that they're not of the required quality to play for United.

Walters_19_MuFc

If we're getting rid of Rojo and one of Smalling/Jones, then it's always a good idea to have four options.

In our case it would be:

Lindelof
Bailly
Smalling/Jones
New Centre Back

Within those centre backs, ideally you should probably have two ball playing centre backs and two no nonsense centre backs. That's how Jose usually likes it anyway.

If we get a new ball playing centre back, it will give us:

Ball playing centre back/Lindelof

Smalling/Bailly

That is assuming Jones and Rojo leave, as I said before.

Having said all of that, I don't feel buying a centre back should be our main priority this summer, especially if it means not having enough funds to purchase a left back and winger - two positions I think are more of a priority.

Jacko21

You're just assuming things

And we didnt have that many men behind the ball most weeks. In fact our midfield wasnt often around to help our defense which means we had fewer than any organized team
Okay, perhaps I should've said 'I felt on too many occasions...'

Are we not allowed to make observations unless otherwise qualified by Mourinho himself? :)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ok but as I previously said he doesn't seem unhappy with either of them. Buying Bailly and Lindelof has no implications on the quality of Smalling, Jones and Rojo, Three players who have shown that they're not of the required quality to play for United.
Disagree on Smalling and Jones as they have repeatedly performed as well as the others. If he was so turned off by them then he would've sold them off in his first summer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If we're getting rid of Rojo and one of Smalling/Jones, then it's always a good idea to have four options.

In our case it would be:

Lindelof
Bailly
Smalling/Jones
New Centre Back

Within those centre backs, ideally you should probably have two ball playing centre backs and two no nonsense centre backs. That's how Jose usually likes it anyway.

If we get a new ball playing centre back, it will give us:

Ball playing centre back/Lindelof

Smalling/Bailly

That is assuming Jones and Rojo leave, as I said before.
If we buy McGuire then Rojo will likely be sold on, not one of Smalling or Jones as well (imo)

Dec9003

Disagree on Smalling and Jones as they have repeatedly performed as well as the others. If he was so turned off by them then he would've sold them off in his first summer.
In his first summer he would've bought Bailly and sold Jones and Smalling? That would mean we'd have gone into the season with Bailly, Blind and Rojo as our only centre backs, so, no, he wouldn't have done that.

Neo_Mufc

Until we get a solid pair of CB's we will continue to look for one more.

Bailly seems to be getting injured a lot. Smalling is inconsistent or atleast deserves to play with someone who can boost the defence.

I used to hate Alan Hanson on the BBC buthe always gave us credit for our defences post 2006.

How I miss the days of Rio n Vidic.

jesperjaap

FIRST CHOICE
============
Victor Lindelof
:
Had an excellent World Cup, he seems to have overcome his confidence issues. I like his positioning and his tackling, and he can play the ball out from the back, too. He had a shaky first few appearances last season, but it looks quite obvious that he has improved over time.
Eric Bailly:
Our best CB, IMO. Needs to stay injury free. Great tackling, great in the air, great on the ball. If he were playing for someone else, we'd be paying more for him than Alderweireld/Maguire.
Chris Smalling:
Best header of the ball we have, strong and experienced. He is not great in possession, agreed. But he is still very good, and can play if we choose to go three at the back or if Lindelof/Bailly are unavailable.

BACKUP
========
Phil Jones

Has the odd moment, and is perennially unfit, but can step up when we need a job done. Experienced, strong, can head well, and one of the faster CBs we have. Gives it all, good backup.
Marcos Rojo
Inconsistent, in the sense that despite having a brainfart in him every other game, he occasionally comes up with a strong dazzling display. Not bad for a backup, however. Great mentality.
Axel Tuanzebe
Full of promise, can get minutes every now and then.

We have six CBs in the club, 2 of them Mourinho signings. Why on earth do we need another CB so urgently instead of letting them bed in/battle it out? I just don't get it. What does Maguire bring to the squad that Bailly/Lindelof/Smalling do not?
I get the supporting players of your club...but I am more of the thought that if you dont think much of a player at your club you should vent that. You are absolutely correct we have six centre backs, seven if you include Mensah. The two youngsters I woulo dsay are find as 5th and 6th choices. I dont think we will play three at the back so those four are basically the first choices and back ups.
If Lindelof was at anotjer club I dont think we would be talking about him as anything other than average. He was decent at the world cup, his flaws were stilll exposed by Sterling and I would say his defensive partner actually looked better for Sweden....and tht is a player I believe was released by Wigan! He isnt an awful defender but the mere fact you are callin ghim our first choice centre back is reason enough for why we are lookign at a new centre back. He isnt good at playign the ball out from the back, he is average at it, no better than Bailly who is also average at it. We signed an average centre back last yeaqr with him when we needed a really good one....still have the same problem with another body in the squad

Bailly is fast, strong, quick. I do acctually like him but he is rash in the air and rash generally. I think he is the one defender that can be good with the right partner.

Smalling. He was actually pretty good when he was known as Mike. Tat is ONE season in what eight seasons here now? I do think he is decent tackling and as you say good in the air. I would keep him as a back up, as we need to keep one of them!

Phil JOnes: Agasin nearly eight years and he hasnt had one good season. In my mind he was actually a better when we signed him than he is now. Should have become a top centre back and he still isnt old, but whether it is injuries, lack of progression or whatever, what is he still doing here? * years to play 1/4 of the season averagely with some big mistakes?

Rojo: He has been here 3/4 years now? Was so awful at left back that when in an injury crisis he came in at centre back and played decently for a few months, people were so shocked they over exaggerated his performances. And his rashness makes Bailly look like he thinks football is a non contact sport, truly awful signing

That really isnt agroup of four centre backs for one of the premiership let alone Europes elite sides.

Ideally I would like three of those four gone Rojo, Lindelof and JOnes and that we signed TWO new centre backs. Our biggest problem offensively is all four of our defenders are not great on the ball at the back, cycling the ball quickly or even cycling the ball anywhere but sideways or two the furthest back midfielder. LAst season that was either Matic who has been good but not creative so our play is automatically slowed down....or it is Pogba coming deep so all of his offensive qualities breakign forward with the ball or a coutner attacking play are nullified. Worse still we play the ball up directly to Lukaku who cant trap or lay off the ball consistantly whatsoever. He may be bug but he should be playing towards the goal not with his back to it, he is a useless targete man.

Put two quality centre backs into our line up that can actually pass the ball well, quickly, are good in the air, positionally sound and confident and we would be able to move the ball forward much quicker, our centre bakcs are part of the borign negative football problem we have...not the only reason of course but even Maguire would improve the problem significantly

Morpheus 7

We need a leader with experience at the back. Build up play starts from the back, someone who can command and demand more from that line.
Nobody can at the moment. It's also about creating a strong partnership. We look to Smalling because he's been there longer than everyone else. The problem is he's terrified the moment the ball is passed to him, creates a nervousness. The rest are too injury prone to be playing weekly to be that leader, Lindelof just struggled to adapt so far.
I think if we could keep Bailly fit and bring Toby in we would have the hardest spine in the league. De Gea with Toby, Bailly and Matic would be a wall. It's crucial we get one, still can't wrap my head about Slab head Maguire. We need an experience top CB. He isn't that now, not what we need. There are issues from wide areas as everyone knows but CB is so important.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In his first summer he would've bought Bailly and sold Jones and Smalling? That would mean we'd have gone into the season with Bailly, Blind and Rojo as our only centre backs, so, no, he wouldn't have done that.
If he thought they were not good enough then yes it would've been complete negligence on his part to proceed with them. In either case, its Mourinho who has consistently been the lowest common denominator of making poor choices.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We’re certainly missing an absolute top class center back. But we also just don’t have a right winger at all. I can't really understand why it seems like center back is our top priority now.
I reckon the reality isn’t as mathematical as that personally.

Who are we supposed to buy on the right? There is nobody that inspires confidence. I’m of the view that if Bale or Mbappé were really in play this window, they would be our top target ahead of a centre half. But we may have had a look and decided that the value isn’t there in the RW position (although I share the caf consensus that Riyad Mahrez should have been pursued).

Dec9003

If he thought they were not good enough then yes it would've been complete negligence on his part to proceed with them. In either case, its Mourinho who has consistently been the lowest common denominator of making poor choices.
I don't know if you've noticed but since Mourinho has joined we've had to completely overhaul the squad due to the negligence of the previous two managers. I'm sure Mourinho thinks plenty of our players aren't good enough and he'd be right to think so, but he has limitations as to who he buys each summer.
Since Mourinho has come in there have been clear improvements in the quality of the squad and that isn't up for debate, we were a shambles by the end of Van Gaal's time here.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Going out on a limb here so stay with me but I’m gonna say it’s because the ones we have are shit?
Nail. Head.

Nope. If you are making the wrong decisions for two years on the trot then perhaps its time to question whether the decision maker's methodologies are the problem and not the players. If Mourinho wanted a CB, he should've taken care of all that the instant he came here and not two years into the project. Oh wait he did take care of it, two years ago and then apparently thought it wasn't enough, so he tried again last year. At some point his own decision making is going to need to be held to account and if he doesn't want to take responsibility for having bought two other CBs in the preceding two years then he isn't likely to take responsibility if this next one doesn't excel either.
Yes because Mourinho takes personal charge of the transfer war room doesn't he?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't know if you've noticed but since Mourinho has joined we've had to completely overhaul the squad due to the negligence of the previous two managers. I'm sure Mourinho thinks plenty of our players aren't good enough and he'd be right to think so, but he has limitations as to who he buys each summer.
Since Mourinho has come in there have been clear improvements in the quality of the squad and that isn't up for debate, we were a shambles by the end of Van Gaal's time here.
It depends how you define improvements. Consider what we have spent relative to what we have won and how entertaining our football is (especially in contrast to Klopp and Pep's results) and its easy to see Mourinho's time here as been average at best.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nail. Head.

Yes because Mourinho takes personal charge of the transfer war room doesn't he?
He certainly tells Ed who he wants to buy. Unless we are to assume Woodward decided to buy Bailly and Lindelof, I'd say Jose should take responsibility for both.

Dec9003

It depends how you define improvements. Consider what we have spent relative to what we have won and how entertaining our football is (especially in contrast to Klopp and Pep's results) and its easy to see Mourinho's time here as been average at best.
I define improvements in the squad by the results we get. We're now better than when Van Gaal left. Since Mourinho has joined we have had a second place finish and two trophies, Klopp has neither of these things, so I'm not sure why hes in any way relevant to the quality of our centre backs.
It just sounds like you actually don't have much of an opinion as to whether or not we need a centre back, and have instead decided to derail a thread which is specifically for discussing why we do or don't need a centre back.

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
I’m bemused by people saying Smalling isn’t cut out for Utd. Tall, fast, strong, good in the air and a true defender. Just because it’s fashionable to have ball playing centre backs doesn’t mean we need them all to be players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’m bemused by people saying Smalling isn’t cut out for Utd. Tall, fast, strong, good in the air and a true defender. Just because it’s fashionable to have ball playing centre backs doesn’t mean we need them all to be players.
Probably our best defender post Rio/Vidic

Son Of Sam

Yeah.... let’s do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
He certainly tells Ed who he wants to buy. Unless we are to assume Woodward decided to buy Bailly and Lindelof, I'd say Jose should take responsibility for both.
Yes Jose will have given Ed a list, quite simply I do not believe that Lindelof will have been top of it. You will say "oh but he was on the list so he is a Mourinho choice", but he may well have been a low, reluctant and/or forced choice if Woodward capped the budget for this given other probable outlays.

This summer there is no excuse.

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
Yeah.... let’s do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.

I don’t think you can single out Smalling for our poor form in recent years. In truth, through poor personnel/poor tactics, it’s been our attack which has been lacking.

The_Midfielder

I don’t think you can single out Smalling for our poor form in recent years. In truth, through poor personnel/poor tactics, it’s been our attack which has been lacking.
How do you expect the forwards to get a chance if we have defenders that can't pass and resort giving the ball back to De Gea to hoof up.. almost every team is pressing high up now , so we need defenders that can play ..

Son Of Sam

De Gea faced 120 PL shots on target last season, conceding only 23 goals. We played the most defensive in the top 6 and yet we were facing more number of shots on target than Burnley.

Ederson on the other hand faced only 70 PL shots on target, conceding only 20 goals. Yet, you say our attack has been lacking. The only reason Jose put 7 men behind the ball at all times is because he cannot trust his defenders. It’s as simple as that.