Why do we not have a women's team?

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
but isn't it a bit sad that that is what it would take? As opposed to the club just wanting to help progress the women's game?
Yes, it is in some ways but the days of the club being philanthropic in its outlook are long gone (even if they every existed). As I said previously, if there were sponsorship deals or other perceived advantages to the club or the PL required each club to form a Women's team then I'm sure it would happen. The problem in a way is that I suspect whilst most fans may not be against forming a ladies team, many are ambivalent towards it, it is not a priority for them and as other threads have shown, fans would rather any additional money be spent on improving the condition of OT, or in some case building new stadia.
Women's Professional Football is not an idea whose time has come, as far as United are concerned, at least not yet!

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Is there any demand/interest for a United women's team?

I know Liverpool have one but I couldn't tell you if they're any good or name a player and I wouldn't go to watch them if it were free to be perfectly honest. Not from a sexist viewpoint, I just don't think the quality is any better than Sunday league and I wouldn't spend my free time watching that either unless one of my lads was playing. Obviously a united female team would have to be professional so I wonder if they'd attract enough paying fans to watch them to justify it. Not that United are fiddling the leccy meter or anything but any business would be mad to throw money away.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Well there is the old joke about United's legendary popularity... "even when they hang the shirts out to dry at OT, 15,000 fans turn up to watch"
Mens shirts I assume though :D

I have no idea what the typical women's attendance is so maybe they would get enough money coming in to pay them a respectable wage. They'd have to pay more than City, just for the one-upmanship though I'd think.

Nikelesh Reddy

It's a strange one this,it feels a bit strange that a club like ours doesn't have a women's team.Maybe some folks feel that it somehow goes against our tradition,I think Sir Alex didn't want us to have a women's team for some reason....

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
It's a strange one this,it feels a bit strange that a club like ours doesn't have a women's team.Maybe some folks feel that it somehow goes against our tradition,I think Sir Alex didn't want us to have a women's team for some reason....
He had a taste of what the dressings rooms would be like full of make up, skirts, hairbands and self tan lotion with Ronaldo and Beckham and wanted no part of it.

Suspicious Swelling

I am surprised by how many posters feel the reason to not have a womens team is that it wouldn't be viable. MUFC are the richest club in the world but are one of the few to not have a womens team.

Our sisters and daughters deserve the opportunity to play for MUFC. Money seems to have pervaded every facette of our lives including the sporting ethic.
I am surprised by how many posters seem to be stuck in the 1930s.