Gaming Why does my PS3 keep shutting down?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I had the same problem back in the day, unfortunately it’s dying.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It beeps then the red light flashes. I have to press it to make it go solid red.
Hmm. So not YLOD. Maybe it is overheating?

Have you ever taken it apart to clean it and/or change the thermal paste? I do mine every few years.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
yes I did that and gave it a good vacuum and blow. Not the paste thing though.

It seems to really hate COD MW2. I put another game in and it was ok.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I left it on all night paused on COD WAW and it was fine. So now I;m trying MW3 to see what happens.

rcoobc

I left it on all night paused on COD WAW and it was fine. So now I;m trying MW3 to see what happens.
I gave one of mine to my 29 year old sister. She's not a gamer, but she used to play PS1 games, so I loaded it with PS1 games and put Sky, Amazon Prime and Netflix on it so she could watch that.

She never used it for games and only used it for watching Netflix. After a month or so of constant use it died. I haven't tried to repair it yet.

We'd had it from new and never had any issues. I'd replaced the thermal paste twice and it was fairly clean inside.

The PS3 (Fats) are a flawed system. They will sadly all go eventually, unless...?

Anyway - this is a really informative video. I know you don't have the YLOD problem but it could be a thermal issue.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Either its a problem with your power supply. If you can get your hands on a similar plug, try that one.

Or, its a heating issue where dust in the fan and/or the thermal compound is not doing its job, in which case its slowly frying your motherboard and its not really much you can do. PS5 is out this year, so maybe an upgrade is in order :lol: ?

rcoobc

I got a PS3 slim yesterday for $50 so I'm good.

Can you use the PS3 cam for anything useful?
I think there is a Harry potter game that needs it. But the move controllers are PS4 compatible

rcoobc

I have three of those that he gave me with the PS3 slim. So the cams can't be used anywhere but with a PS?
I think there is a driver for the PS3 camera but its a bit poo

Cloud7

Is this a euphemism for your dick? Has anyone made that joke yet?