Why don’t we play with the same energy every game?

Flexdegea

I don’t even think the first half was that bad and wouldn’t mind that from here on in as a minimum. We should have scored at least 3

I was same, created plenty of chances and tempo was good from Start but give away 2 cheap goals ......but listening to scholes here easily been our worse half this season.

Swear between and here and BT sport it would depress at times :lol: :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Could also compare it to the Spurs-Chelsea match a few weeks ago. Spurs were all over Chelsea for the first 30min or so but they couldn’t keep the energy levels up. Once they slowed, Chelsea took control and won.
Yeah, it's just not sustainable; you have to rest in possession and burst in phases; if you're balls to the floor outright for a concerted period of time, you'll either burn out (knackered) or be risking injury as not many athletes can cope at that rate of exertion. There's also post-game recovery, which will invariably be longer, and the knock-on effect to the following games where you're already going in sub-optimally.

cyberman

I was same, created plenty of chances and tempo was good from Start but give away 2 cheap goals ......but listening to scholes here easily been our worse half this season.

Swear between and here and BT sport it would depress at times :lol: :lol:
If fans watched the first half without emotion I really think it would change a lot of minds. We were tearing them apart to the point we missed about 3 1v1s and instead of appreciating that and evaluating how the flow of the game was going I was calling everybody shit and bottlers! Oh feck sake not again Jesus fecking Christ!!!!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Teams are better tactically than ever before these days. United have some work to do in that area, without a doubt. This is beyond question.

However, it is also beyond question that winning 50/50s is vitally important. Out-working your opponents is still a major factor in a football match. We create so many chances when we win the ball back in the opponents half. These are massive elements to football, still. If we outrun and outwork Liverpool at the weekend we will beat them. If we allow them easy access to our defence they will murder us.

Remember the geese

Tempo, intensity and work rate. Liverpool under Klopp are a bundle of energy. Especially so two or three years ago anyway. It massively simplifies things, but these are basic qualities that any team can offer and it makes such a big difference.

Flexdegea

If fans watched the first half without emotion I really think it would change a lot of minds. We were tearing them apart to the point we missed about 3 1v1s and instead of appreciating that and evaluating how the flow of the game was going I was calling everybody shit and bottlers! Oh feck sake not again Jesus fecking Christ!!!!

Big time. We created enough good chances, hit bar...........Fred missed sitter in box........wasn't complete wank.

Then scholes on here depressing everyone to death........we deserve to wallow in toxic shite sometimes

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I thought we started with a lot of energy but started to rush things maybe as nervousness creeped in. Bruno had several crosses not get past the first man but made up for it with a brilliant assist to Rashford.

A step in the right direction today but we need a proper team of legitimate coaches

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I know. It's obvious that when Ole is saying these words he is talking to the players.
I agree but at the end of the day Ole has to find the solution to motivate them or eventually it will cost him his job.

Redlyn

We were fine in attack. Just that we conceed too many goals.

Caesar2290

All of this they don't try hard enough is all bogus. These things are adrenaline performances. Every team has a couple of them a year. The reason I call them adrenaline performance is because just like adrenaline you become superhuman for a short period and then you revert back to normal.

Mourinho had a similar game. The 3-2 vs Newcastle where we looked wank in the first half only to batter them in the second half. That result bought him another month.

cyril C

Because the same players cannot play 2 weeks a game, week in week out. But as soon as CR was rested, or Pogba was benched, then someone will be quoted - you should play your best 11 every game....

meamth

Players form and confidence is bad at the moment.

Once they have some sort of form going on, I'm sure we're seeing more of that.

I'm going back to the basics, play good, the football is beautiful.
Play bad, the football is awful.

It's up to the players now to believe in themselves and give 100% every game.

Hoof the ball

Because around 70% of all games we play are against sides that either concede possession to us by design, or are pushed back by us but happy to sit in a low block. It's easier to have energy when the opposition plays with a high line, commits men forward and leaves space vertically in the field, but most games aren't Atalanta (missing five first-teamer's). Most games are well-drilled defences limiting space between lines and offering no space to counter, and instead asking us to play football with everyone behind the ball.

If there's one thing Ole has shown he can't do, is find a solution to the low-block problem.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It’s because of the opposition. Atalanta are like Leeds and their style suits our strengths. They have a high line for us to pump balls over to our forwards whilst they play a high risk game going forward. Our heads tend to drop when playing compact low block sides because we don’t know how to break them down and struggle when they counter us.
I agree with this.

Gasperini carried on playing a high line when it was looking obvious that United were gonna score due to the opportunities that were being created and squandered. After starting the game with a reported 5 first team players missing and then also losing Demiral at half time, I found it odd that they didn't revert to a low block which is something we've struggled with. But thankfully for us, they carried on leaving a large space in behind which was their undoing IMO.

lex talionis

Probably because it’s really, really hard to play with that kind of energy for 90 minutes. The better question to ask is why we can’t dominate a middling side like Atalanta with less than 100% energy. We shouldn’t have to resort to high energy play to beat clubs that are well below the standard of City and Liverpool. This has been a great frustration of mine since the last days of the Ferguson era, when we consistently struggled against mediocre sides but dig out wins with late energetic attacking play.

ndkhoa2020

Because you can't run with high intensity all 90 minutes, you can only pick good moment to speed up the tempo. If you abuse this, players would soon get exhausted. That's why Ronaldo don't often do pressing too hard to save stamina for critical moment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Even Jose's United looked good when chasing games with the opponent sitting back. It's no big deal. The harder thing to do is to play great football in general rather than when the situation suits you or players have an upswing in form/adrenaline.

Chief123

Just like you can’t compare two halves of a game without context, you can’t compare game by game without context.

We would never play the same way when we are 2-0 down as we would when we are 0-0. Likewise the opponent would never be as attacking and threatening when they have a 2-0 lead than they would when they are 0-0.

The point being, we need to start playing well from the start of the game rather than throwing everything at a “got nothing to lose now” situation.