Why don't more penalty takers shoot down the middle?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was thinking this after the Auba miss.

It's pretty much the last kick of the game and so much more pressure than taking a penalty in say the 10th minute.

Unless it's a very obvious run up a keeper is always likely to dive either way.

To me if it's 90th I'd always hit down the middle in that situation, that miss could easily cost Arsenal top 4.

Andy_Cole

I think because technically it’s a saveable pen. Whereas picking a spot, you could hit it in a ways it’s unsaveable. But I get your point.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think I'm right in thinking it is statistically the best way to take a penalty?

Though I suppose it could in theory a penalty put into a corner is the most "unsavable". Plus if you put it down the middle all the time keepers would get savvy to it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've wondered more the other way, why don't more goalies stay in the middle, as so many pens are within reach?
If they don't dive and it just trickles into the corner they'd probably get panned in the dressing room by everyone.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If they don't dive and it just trickles into the corner they'd probably get panned in the dressing room by everyone.
Yeah, also it would be no good if they always just stood their ground, as everyone would know how to beat them, but if they did a third of the time say, I think they might save more.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Frank Lampard in Pressure moments ALWAYS went down the middle and 10/10 would score.

With that being said it can not be done all the time or the keeper would catch on.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Had Pogba even taken a penalty down the middle this season before this?
Was wondering why this thread suddenly had about a million replies in a minute, I turned off the stream after Lukaku scored the third. :lol:

Surprised, he usually hits it high into the corner.

Problem with Pogba's run is it's so slow a keeper should delay his dive either way to see what he does.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Anyway at least you were already 3-2 up and practically at the end of injury time when he missed, little bit different for Arsenal as that did cost them a potentially huge two points come May.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I've wondered more the other way, why don't more goalies stay in the middle, as so many pens are within reach?
Same. I think you can get to quite a few by waiting to see where it goes and reacting, not just the ones right down the middle.

Looking back at the the shootout in the Carbao Cup final the goalie does seem to wait on Chelsea's first miss. Aguero's that should have been saved could arguably have been saved by a goalie waiting to see too. Bernardo Silva's and Hazard's definitely.

Edit: Only fair to mention that Sane's that was saved does not get saved by a 'keeper reacting rather than being proactive.

Recap -

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hit it down the middle and miss and you'll always be subject to more annoyance and ridicule from fans.

At least if you hit the corner, it generally requires a good save.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
From gk perspective im speculating if they made a good dive they can't be blamed.

If they stay in the middle they'll look like smug if they failed to stop the ball or the ball going sideways.

And statistically they should be going either right or left (assuming he's not ball reading)

The taker would have to have a big balls shooting in the middle because anything less than a good bluff would make them looks like an idiot.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Hit it down the middle and miss and you'll always be subject to more annoyance and ridicule from fans.

At least if you hit the corner, it generally requires a good save.
I think if you hit the ball hard enough to the corner no keeper can humanly save it. But hitting that perfect shot isnt as easy as it looks. It still amazes me how a top footballer who pings passes all their career can miss a goal from 11 yard spot. Forget about the keeper saving it i cant believe how they can balloon a simple shot like that.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
From gk perspective im speculating if they made a good dive they can't be blamed.

If they stay in the middle they'll look like smug if they failed to stop the ball or the ball going sideways.

And statistically they should be going either right or left (assuming he's not ball reading)

The taker would have to have a big balls shooting in the middle because anything less than a good bluff would make them looks like an idiot.
Is this true? I have no stats but I do seem to see an awful lot of pens go down the middle, within arm's or leg's reach.