Why don't United look at Championship talent?

tomaldinho1

Vardy, Mahrez, Schmeichel, Wes Morgan were all in the Championship with Leicester
Have any been bought by a PL team and gone on to achieve top honours out of interest?

(as in not come up with a team)

Ismailia Sarr, Max Aarons and Todd Cantwell are all good players, it’s worth signing players from the lower league before they make a breakthrough and prices escalate. Though we tried that with Bellingham and he went off to Dortmund.
Sarr was a 30-million-pound signing made by a top flight club at the time. Hardly a lower league player.

Same goes for Grealish, who had made 30+ PL appearances by the time Villa went down. Though there's definitely an argument for saying he benefited from those three seasons in the Championship to develop.

davidmichael

Aren’t we looking at Max Aarons who’s playing in The Championship ? Weren't we in for Bellingham ? Also signed Dan James from Swansea too so it’s not like we do less business or scout less players below the Premier League than any of the other top teams do.

Also we probably bring through more players from the academy than any other team too as Henderson, Tuanzebe, Williams, Mengi, McTominay, Garner, Rashford and Greenwood have all come through over the past few seasons whilst Laird, Levitt and Mejbri aren’t far off.

Nothing wrong with buying players from the Championship, or even below - and we’ve done this occasionally.

there’s a bit of snobbery in this thread.

the biggest issue is the step up - and anyone we buy is unlikely go get much time in the first team, which in turn hampers their development. Zaha is a good example of this.

game time is important to players, which is why they will tend to go to clubs who are outside of the clubs fighting for Europe.

ROFLUTION

Okay hear me out. I know we went in for James and you could argue he's not really kicking on but I often wonder why United, and other big clubs, aren't willing to delve into this market more often. Surely to get value there's some good business to be done?

Players like Eze going to Palace, Perrera to WBA, Bogle to Sheff United, Lewis to Newcastle, Benrahma to WHU, Watkins to Villa, Robinson to Fulham. Deals do happen I know but all to lower status clubs.

There's some good quality in the Championship so why will no one really look at it?

Olise looks good at Reading and I'm a big fan of Josh da Silva at Brentford. Could we not exploit this market more?

Edit. Included a list of highest valued U23s in the league.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cha...s//galerie/0?pos=&detailpos=&altersklasse=u23
None of those are United quality though, and well if we want to challenge for titles, we cant have patience with these types of "maybe-talents" - they usually develop in midtable clubs for years before they make it, which probably is also the logical way. You can mention Robertson as the one standout of many, but he also played in the premier league

Bellingham? Yes, but would too take nurturing time. Lets see where he lands before we lay judgement

Andy Robertson probably the biggest success from Championship in recent years
he played in the PL, got relegated, then promoted, and relegated again. Liverpool bought him off the back of a season in the PL with Hull.

I wouldn’t call him a championship player.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We've got James, McT, Lingard, TFM, Jones and Rojo. That is enough championship talent

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
It's already been mentioned but think it's worth saying again that I also was very impressed by Matty Cash's performance last night.

There is some quality business that can be done from that league. Max Aarons is probably the best piece of business a Premier League club could do right now in that regard.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I know many here like to think "what are our scouts even doing?" but I'd highly doubt we don't already look closely at the football league. We made a serious move for Bellingham and he chose to go elsewhere. We've bought Dan James, Wilf Zaha, Nick Powell, Nathan Bishop, Regan Poole in the last few years. That's a decent hit rate on the football league, and I don't think we're lagging behind anyone else in scouting talent from those divisions.

There's plenty of talent in the Championship for sure, but how much of it is good enough to be a regular for a top 6 PL side? There have been plentiful players who have looked excellent in the Championship and ordinary in the PL. Will Hughes was very highly regarded at one point, and he turned out to be fairly ordinary. There was a couple of seasons when Ebanks-Blake was unstoppable in the Championship, got promoted with Wolves and looked hopeless. They went back down and he tore it up again.

I'm a big fan of Max Aarons, but I'm still dubious he's good enough for a team that wants to win the title and play in the CL. He may well be, but it's hard to judge. AWB was seriously impressive at Palace but he parts of his game are lacking for us. Henderson looked imperious at Sheffield Utd but he looks very nervous when he plays for us. Making that step up shouldn't be understated.

Brightonian

We clearly keep an eye on it, as James and the pursuit of Bellingham demonstrate. But not one of those players you mention has proved good enough to be strong targets for us even now, having adapted (some of them at least) quite well to PL pace. So they would not have been good acquisitions for us at all.

You simply have to accept that the best way to look at lower-league domestic talent is to let smaller PL clubs take the risk and then pay bigger money to get these players off them if and when they become worthwhile targets.

Prodigal7

Okay hear me out. I know we went in for James and you could argue he's not really kicking on but I often wonder why United, and other big clubs, aren't willing to delve into this market more often. Surely to get value there's some good business to be done?

Players like Eze going to Palace, Perrera to WBA, Bogle to Sheff United, Lewis to Newcastle, Benrahma to WHU, Watkins to Villa, Robinson to Fulham. Deals do happen I know but all to lower status clubs.

There's some good quality in the Championship so why will no one really look at it?

Olise looks good at Reading and I'm a big fan of Josh da Silva at Brentford. Could we not exploit this market more?

Edit. Included a list of highest valued U23s in the league.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cha...s//galerie/0?pos=&detailpos=&altersklasse=u23
Do Bayern, Real, Barca etc look at Championship talent? Ffs we’re Man United, the biggest club in the world. Unless there’s a 17 year old wonder kid breaking through that we can snap up we really need to aim higher.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Remember when we signed a League One player and brought him on to try win a CL game? The last 8 years have been wild.

InfiniteBoredom

Remember when we signed a League One player and brought him on to try win a CL game? The last 8 years have been wild.
Was hardly his fault though, Nick Powell was a Fergie/club signing and the original plan was likely to loan him to a Championship/lower PL club for a few years to develop, like how we did with Welbeck/Lingard. For some reasons LvG decided to work on him at the club instead.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Was hardly his fault though, Nick Powell was a Fergie/club signing and the original plan was likely to loan him to a Championship/lower PL club for a few years to develop, like how we did with Welbeck/Lingard. For some reasons LvG decided to work on him at the club instead.
I know but the point is we do buy from the lower leagues. We’ve bought at least two since Ole has been here.

OverratedOpinion

I will say, I remember when Spurs were close to signing Grealish when he was still in the Championship and it just seemed like a good signing to me. I think we have done in the past with Dan James and Zaha but realistically we could probably benefit from taking a risk on more players as it is clearly a very good league. Olise looks very talented from the 2 times I have seen him and I knew Ronaldo was a decent player after that pre season game in 03 so I am basically a professional scout.

TheReligion

Abusive
The amount of people mentioning Dan James just shows how few read the actual OP and just post based on the title..

I think the point I'm making is, and many of you seem to agree, that there's plenty of excellent talent and potential in the Championship these days and with it being so competitive to sign players there's good value to be had.

This season for instance players like Cash, Lewis and Robinson all look capable full backs (a position we need competition for) and someone like Eze is showing enough to suggest he would be worthy of a place in our squad out wide.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I will say, I remember when Spurs were close to signing Grealish when he was still in the Championship and it just seemed like a good signing to me. I think we have done in the past with Dan James and Zaha but realistically we could probably benefit from taking a risk on more players as it is clearly a very good league. Olise looks very talented from the 2 times I have seen him and I knew Ronaldo was a decent player after that pre season game in 03 so I am basically a professional scout.
And I remember talking about it and suggesting that we should sign Grealish. Man did that ever get rubbished quickly. United supporters don't want players unless they cost 50m plus and then when we do sign them they put unrealistic expectations on them to live up to that price tag and moan when they don't...

Red_toad

It’s not like players who genuinely tear it up in the Championship do that well in the Premier League. Ryan Sessegnon for example. Maybe the odd exception but that’s all it would be.

The absolute cream of the crop are usually playing top level football by the time they are 20-21 if you ask me anyways. Those are the players we should be aiming for.

We have no reason to take a punt unless it’s an absolute steal which nowadays very few in the championship are realistically. Those clubs often want very good money for players considering it’s second tier.
Grealish was pretty decent when Villa were in the Championship, Spurs tried very hard to get him, I'm glad they failed. Ollie Watkins is having a good season. Dele Ali, Maddison and Joe Gomez, all stepped up quickly. Plenty are advocating signing Aarons.

Member 120012

Do Bayern, Real, Barca etc look at Championship talent? Ffs we’re Man United, the biggest club in the world. Unless there’s a 17 year old wonder kid breaking through that we can snap up we really need to aim higher.
Well Bayern bought Davis from Vancouver after he was offered to United 20times by scouts.

cyril C

Don't forget a Powell as well. Hardly played a game for us. And a Miller from Scottish league, and a Bebe from Portugal. We have tried many early picks, need to sack all the scouts first if you want to re-new the argument.

BTW, Diallo is as good as Championship grade player picked for his talent,. hope we have better scouts in Italy.

what a silly comment. There are some diamonds to be found at times, so to dismiss an entire league is really silly, and the way you’ve put it comes across as elitist.

there are lots of good players who come through from the championship and the lower leagues.

not advocating concentrating on buying lads from there, and buying half a dozen each year - but to dismiss it completely based solely on snobbery is poor form.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I like that leeds keeper Meslier, he has an error in him occasionally but he pulls off top saves every game. With better coaches he could become a top keeper for a better club im sure.

Prodigal7

what a silly comment. There are some diamonds to be found at times, so to dismiss an entire league is really silly, and the way you’ve put it comes across as elitist.

there are lots of good players who come through from the championship and the lower leagues.

not advocating concentrating on buying lads from there, and buying half a dozen each year - but to dismiss it completely based solely on snobbery is poor form.
The first part was a pretty straight forward and logical question. Do you see those clubs shopping around their second tiers for 1st team players? I clearly implied that deals for the likes of emerging young/academy talents akin to Bellingham should be encouraged. But if you’re looking at players like Sarr then it only shows how far we’ve fallen.

Prodigal7

Don't forget a Powell as well. Hardly played a game for us. And a Miller from Scottish league, and a Bebe from Portugal. We have tried many early picks, need to sack all the scouts first if you want to re-new the argument.

BTW, Diallo is as good as Championship grade player picked for his talent,. hope we have better scouts in Italy.
Powell is a good example of why shopping in the lower leagues in the modern era is generally a bad idea. Diallo is a world class talent, that’s why we’re paying so much for him.

Ekeke

In the past 2 seasons we signed 2 players from the premier league and 1 from the championship, out of the 9 permanent signings we made

So just 3 of 9 domestic

So we were clearly looking abroad for players this summer, with Bellingham and Sancho the English options and we failed with them

We'll probably sign more domestic players next summer now we went with the foreign players

The first part was a pretty straight forward and logical question. Do you see those clubs shopping around their second tiers for 1st team players? I clearly implied that deals for the likes of emerging young/academy talents akin to Bellingham should be encouraged. But if you’re looking at players like Sarr then it only shows how far we’ve fallen.
I love it when people come out with “standards” and “how far we’ve fallen”. Such rubbish mate.

where a player comes from doesn’t matter. I couldn’t care less, and I don’t know why you should.

I suspect Real or Barca don’t look at the Championship because it’s in England, rather than in Spain, just like we are less likely to look at the Spanish second division rather the championship.

In terms of strength, the championship is easily the best 2nd tier in Europe.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Somebody like Benrahma or Watkins probably wouldn't look totally out of place with us but they weren't cheap by any means and they certainly wouldn't find it easy to nail down a starting spot. I just think most Championship talent is overpriced for what it is. Last one we might have really had some regrets about would be Alli probably? Could have developed differently with us maybe. Bellingham we tried for and he didn't want to come, one of those things. Grealish I suppose was available but I don't think he was ready for the step to a big club when Villa were in the Championship.

Prodigal7

I love it when people come out with “standards” and “how far we’ve fallen”. Such rubbish mate.

where a player comes from doesn’t matter. I couldn’t care less, and I don’t know why you should.

I suspect Real or Barca don’t look at the Championship because it’s in England, rather than in Spain, just like we are less likely to look at the Spanish second division rather the championship.

In terms of strength, the championship is easily the best 2nd tier in Europe.
I don’t really care about which nations’ second tier is better than what. There are no championship players that are capable of playing in our team, a team that should be competing for every trophy. These lower league purchases seem to be at least partially driven by football nationalism rather than buying the best players we can. We can bully Serie A, La Liga sides etc financiall. We can buy players from anywhere in the world and I couldn’t give two shits where they’re from,

Dan_F

Benrahma and Watkins are both struggling a bit in the Premier League, I’m sure they’ll improve, but being at a club at United wouldn’t work for them right now. Max Aarons has already had a full season in the Premier League, so it’s not a great example.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Like someone else said, they’re championship players for a reason and the only ones worth looking at would be academy grads like Bellingham was. Not many players down there that would instantly improve us, and there’s so much money in the championship too that they wouldn’t exactly be cheap.

I don’t really care about which nations’ second tier is better than what. There are no championship players that are capable of playing in our team, a team that should be competing for every trophy. These lower league purchases seem to be at least partially driven by football nationalism rather than buying the best players we can. We can bully Serie A, La Liga sides etc financiall. We can buy players from anywhere in the world and I couldn’t give two shits where they’re from,
point missed. The championship is a strong league in its own right.

it’s got nothing to do with nationalism, seems that’s the default argument with some posters.

we don’t need and can’t have world class players in every position.

Harold_Giles

Any PL club would be doing a brilliant business by getting Buendia.
Sort of like a budget Grealish, but playing from the right hand side. They share many qualities, but Grealish is obviously the better player.
If we're not getting Grealish, I'd love for us to go for Buendia.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I get your point and it would be silly to ignore talent in the championship but all of the players you mention in the OP are not good enough for us in any more than a squad role. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look at them at a cheap price but I think more often than not they won’t be good enough.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Benrahma and Watkins are both struggling a bit in the Premier League, I’m sure they’ll improve, but being at a club at United wouldn’t work for them right now. Max Aarons has already had a full season in the Premier League, so it’s not a great example.
For his first season in the Premier League Watkins is doing pretty decent IMHO end of the day he has scored a few and is contributing in every game.

Benrahma has the misfortune of going to Wet Spam and being managed by a moron who for some reason decides to play him in the middle. All his best performances have been as a wide player for us but Moyes obviously knows better :rolleyes::houllier:

Dan_F

For his first season in the Premier League Watkins is doing pretty decent IMHO end of the day he has scored a few and is contributing in every game.

Benrahma has the misfortune of going to Wet Spam and being managed by a moron who for some reason decides to play him in the middle. All his best performances have been as a wide player for us but Moyes obviously knows better :rolleyes::houllier:
Yeah I don’t disagree in a sense that they will go onto be a success in the Premier League. I just don’t think they’d be any use at United, given the pressure that comes with it.

Players like Martial and Rashford are doubted as to whether they are good enough, let alone Watkins.

Ash_G

We should always keep an eye out for talent and maybe we have missed some good opportunities over the years but there's always hindsight. It's not like we haven't invested in young talent whether that's within the squad or from Europe more generally but you'd hope we do have scouts looking at the Championship.

That said as others have said there is an issue with game time, unless someone comes in strongly they're going to find it harder to get game time here than elsewhere. Although I don't think James is quite up to scratch I wonder if the jump to the PL, certainly to a club of our size, came to early for him and he wouldn't have been better somewhere he'd get more game time. Got VDB who can't get in the team, Greenwood is probably 5th choice in our attack currently.

We also shouldn't forget how defensive a lot of teams are against us and other big teams compared to other PL games between the lower ranked teams which tend to be more open. That extra space makes a big difference particularly for players who are still learning/getting up to speed at this level. That's part of the challenge in particular for strikers at clubs lower down the table moving up to a bigger team, you generally have less space to work with and you'll need to be at a higher level with your movement, touch and finishing.