Why have our academy products become so bad?

Mainoldo

Our model has always been pretty simple. Try and find 1-4 top talented youngsters per year group and fill them with of standard players.

It’s worked for years however it might have to be re-assessed when you see City and Chelsea pretty much building FFP dodging machines.

Roboc7

Like everything at the club it has been neglected and hasn’t moved with the times, you also have the huge funds and ambition at City and Chelsea (probably Newcastle soon as well) that we don’t have any desire to compete with. Having said that it’s not terrible just in relation to the new benchmark being set we are nowhere near.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Has it been that bad? We had a fantastic talent through o fault of the club failed here in Greenwood. We have Garnacho, Pellestri, Mainoo,Amad and Hannibal in or around the squad. If one or two become regular players I would deem that successful

Withnail

Has it been that bad? We had a fantastic talent through o fault of the club failed here in Greenwood. We have Garnacho, Pellestri, Mainoo,Amad and Hannibal in or around the squad. If one or two become regular players I would deem that successful
It really isn't. The class of 92 isn't happening again at any club for a very long time. That can't be the benchmark.

Marcelinho87

I just think fans place them higher than they actually are, vast majority aren't good enough to begin with.

Class of 92 was a freak event, not the norm.

Mainoo in my opinion will go the same way as many, whereas loads here seem to think he can play alongside Casemiro based on absolutely nothing.

garelo

Deano
Johnstone
Evans (semi-retired)
Garner
Chong
Elanga
Garnacho
Rashford

Those are ex-academy graduates playing for PL clubs at the moment, and considering that only very small percentage of professional footballers ever made it to PL I'd say our academy has been pretty good at producing talents so far. Our academy has also produced one of the finest finisher in the game, unfortunately he turns out to be grade a cnut.

DuruttiColumn

Hello all,

Man United used to stand for youth products, the class of 1992 and so on.

The impending Cucurella deal disavows Alvaro Fernandez, our much taunted academy left back. We have spent enormous money on a Chelsea academy product. The broader picture is we start the season with just one academy product guaranteed a starting place in Rashford.

The unfortunate events around Mason Greenwood should not make us oblivious to the reality that our academy products have become terrible down the years. Mejbri et al simply do not have what it takes to cut it at the club.

Why is it so that Man United's academy has fallen so far behind others around Europe? Whilst we all focus on transfers, has our main shortcoming not been being able to produce class homegrown products for years?
Class of 92 was a once in a multi generation blip and completely ruined ou fans expectations of the youth system.

we’ve had a steady stream of players come up through the ranks and become important first team players for the last 30 years and you can’t expect more than that.

ryansgirl

The Class of 92 occurred at a particular time in a different context, timeline and demographic-wise. Manchester United never spent that much on players although Sir Alex wanted top European players like Figo to come to Old Trafford.

While this was the subject of complaint including from people like Keano who said he demanded a bigger wage in order `to break the wage structure` so the top talent would be recruited (not sure if I actually believe that `motive`), it helped United to focus on developing its own talent and what came out of that is history.

There were also more English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish players in the Premier League. This was before some clubs were fielding a completely foreign line-up in the Premier League for some matches. Less competition with less foreign players meant greater opportunities for youth development.

We`ve had breakthrough players such as Marcus, Greenwood, Jesse and McT in the recent past and regardless of what people think of their behavior (talking about the first 3), these players have demonstrated the Academy still produces Premier League quality talent.

Lentwood

We should close this thread really because its based on a completely false-premise.

Our academy is still one of the most productive in World football and has been for 30 years.

I'd be really interested to see some stat for "league appearance by academy graduates" from the Premiership to League Two for the last decade. I bet United are top by a mile.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I just think fans place them higher than they actually are, vast majority aren't good enough to begin with.

Class of 92 was a freak event, not the norm.

Mainoo in my opinion will go the same way as many, whereas loads here seem to think he can play alongside Casemiro based on absolutely nothing.
While I agree that it's too early to claim with confidence that Mainoo will be a world beater, to play as much as he has, show the range of skills he has and have the attitude he has at his age in a time of crisis at one of the works biggest clubs, you wouldn't really expect him to be able to do any more. Can you imagine how much worse this season would have been without him?

I know we all get excited over every youngster breaking into the team, but the lad has barely been known for 6 months and he's already a critical member of the squad.

eire-red

3 academy products on the scoresheet Thursday night.

Garnacho and Mainoo could be the cornerstones of United squads for the next decade.

It is actually incredible.

The thing that always stands out for United academy products for me, as opposed to other clubs, is the mentality and bravery.

City have some developed some very technical youth players, like Foden, Palmer, Lewis and Bobb. They look good in that system, in that highly cultivated environment, but I don't think any of them could replicate what Mainoo and Garnacho are doing.

Pickle85

I'm failing to see how anyone can call an academy that has produced M.G, Garnacho and Mainoo with in the last 5 years alone as "bad"....
Agreed, it's a weird one. I'd say given the players we bring through (watching Garner playing for everton right now actually) we've got an excellent record.

Remember the geese

Aye ok,

Same people will be the ones slating him when he has a bad game.
Everyone is open to criticism. That's the nature of the job. What was always apparent though is that Mainoo is a quality talent. However, it was obviously far easier for you to play the percentages and write him off. Just tells me that you never watched him in the academy.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Great call mentioning Garner. I feel he has been excellent at Everton. Even in Dyche ball.

Mengi at Luton is a decent shout. As is Chong.
Gomes, Elanga and Greenwood are also all playing top flight football, as is Henderson, Pereira and a fair few other older ones. I went through a full list the other day in the reserve / youth forum but we've produced a very good standard. As these players excel at other clubs we'll get better fees for them like City and Chelsea do.

Marcelinho87

Everyone is open to criticism. That's the nature of the job. What was always apparent though is that Mainoo is a quality talent. However, it was obviously far easier for you to play the percentages and write him off. Just tells me that you never watched him in the academy.
You're right I never did, I actually havn't watched a youth game since the cup final in 22 when Garnacho got the double.

I am also mature enough to eat humble pie, which many aren't when it goes the other way.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
City have some developed some very technical youth players, like Foden, Palmer, Lewis and Bobb. They look good in that system, in that highly cultivated environment, but I don't think any of them could replicate what Mainoo and Garnacho are doing.
Palmer literally plays in an even more disjointed team than ours (and that’s saying something). And he’s their best player.

wolvored

Is it since 1937 we have had a youth player in the first team every match since? Yes there are some better than others over the years, but if we can just get one a season to be an outstanding player playing for us, it will be worth it.
I cant wait to see Lacey in the first team. I have only seen youtube highlights, but that was the same with Mainoo.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Is it since 1937 we have had a youth player in the first team every match since? Yes there are some better than others over the years, but if we can just get one a season to be an outstanding player playing for us, it will be worth it.
I cant wait to see Lacey in the first team. I have only seen youtube highlights, but that was the same with Mainoo.
And even that is optimistic. One every 2-3 years would still be great.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Gomes, Elanga and Greenwood are also all playing top flight football, as is Henderson, Pereira and a fair few other older ones. I went through a full list the other day in the reserve / youth forum but we've produced a very good standard. As these players excel at other clubs we'll get better fees for them like City and Chelsea do.
We have been getting garbage fees in recent years simply because we have been rubbish at talent sales in general in the Glazer era.

TheReligion

Abusive
Hello all,

Man United used to stand for youth products, the class of 1992 and so on.

The impending Cucurella deal disavows Alvaro Fernandez, our much taunted academy left back. We have spent enormous money on a Chelsea academy product. The broader picture is we start the season with just one academy product guaranteed a starting place in Rashford.

The unfortunate events around Mason Greenwood should not make us oblivious to the reality that our academy products have become terrible down the years. Mejbri et al simply do not have what it takes to cut it at the club.

Why is it so that Man United's academy has fallen so far behind others around Europe? Whilst we all focus on transfers, has our main shortcoming not been being able to produce class homegrown products for years?
1) Declining relative quality of our youth set up and facilities.
2) Lack of quality coming through the door in the first place. Lots more good / better options nowadays.
Meh. None of those have showed anything. Over the last 5 years you had the likes of Tuanzebe, Mengi, Mensah, Chong, Garner, Gomes, Iqbal, Elanga, Shoretire etc. all 'on the cusp'. Just because the fanbase overhypes every average dud from the academy doesn't mean those players will come good.
Some awful takes here

norm87cro

And yet our academy players have scored two goals on thursday. Look Liverpool only have TAA to brag about since the Owen/Gerrard. And Owen is Everton if Im not mistaken.
Arsenal have Saka and I always respected Wilshere, City have f... all sorry Micha Richards, Spurs never had one, Newcastle can brag about Gazza over 30 years ago, Everton even had some decent sucess after Rooney and we still have United fans whining like its our divine right to have a generation 92 every f... season

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Our academy talent is quite talented. Rashford, lingard, pogba and Greenwood could have been the spine of a fantastic team. The issue is all about attitude. We had issues with older players as well such as Januzaj, Macheda, Ravel and Djordic.

We need some proper guidance and discipline across the board

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Every year there seems to be a new potential youth prospect coming through to the first team. Even if they don't quite make it here we get players playing at a high level.

Its an amazing academy that has produced Rashford, Greenwood, Garnacho and Mainoo just in recent years. We have Forson and Kambwala knocking on the door. We have Amass, Lacey, Imbragimov, etc waiting in the wings - they are unlikely all to make it here but exciting all the same.