Why is La Liga so far ahead in Europe?

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I know it's clashing a bit with the "English teams" thread but to be honest, I'm absolutely tired of seeing that topic coming up on here every 5-6 months. We'll see the myths of "no winterbreak" and "competitiveness" being brought up again just for others to (rightfully) dismiss them and so on and on.

What I think is way more interesting is why are La Liga teams so fecking strong in Europe? The spanish league has been the strongest for a while, people overlooked it because of the Barca/Madrid focus but since the rise of Atletico you can't really deny the fact that La Liga is just far far ahead right now. And it's not because of Atletico, the likes of Valencia, Sevilla or Bilbao are smashing it as well.
What are they doing right? What seperates Spain from the other big leagues?

Joemo

whistling in the wind
The teams are full of Spanish players and Spanish players are good.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that the developing of players there is several levels ahead of England. The coaches are also very good tactically. And the teams seem to be fearless in Europe.

Add to that, in Europe win usually teams that are organized and good tactically. EPL has always been (bar 2005-2010) a chaotic league, when teams won more by individual greatness rather than masterful performances.

Eddy_JukeZ

They've got the best players and they're not tactically inept. They're cohesive in attack and defense usually.

La Liga has been better than the Prem for a good 5 years now. Maybe more.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The technique and skill levels of the average player in La Liga are a little bit higher than elsewhere. Its that extra 2% of quality that helps them.

Parma Dewol

I know it's clashing a bit with the "English teams" thread but to be honest, I'm absolutely tired of seeing that topic coming up on here every 5-6 months. We'll see the myths of "no winterbreak" and "competitiveness" being brought up again just for others to (rightfully) dismiss them and so on and on.

What I think is way more interesting is why are La Liga teams so fecking strong in Europe? The spanish league has been the strongest for a while, people overlooked it because of the Barca/Madrid focus but since the rise of Atletico you can't really deny the fact that La Liga is just far far ahead right now. And it's not because of Atletico, the likes of Valencia, Sevilla or Bilbao are smashing it as well.
What are they doing right? What seperates Spain from the other big leagues?
Refereeing is generally poor and the officials are ill-equipped at keeping up with the modern game. Playing on that fact, La Liga has some of the best con artists in the game.

Not trying to be funny but if that had been Neymar whose leg was broken tonight, the defender would have seen red, it would have been a penalty, and the ref would still be being hounded.

Getting decisions and bending the rules is an art and the La Liga sides do it better than anyone else right now.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I just don´t understand the tactics mention since the english top clubs are mostly managed by foreign managers. I think it´s about cycles. Spain is on top atm but it will change in the future. Always been like that.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Refereeing is generally poor and the officials are ill-equipped at keeping up with the modern game. Playing on that fact, La Liga has some of the best con artists in the game.

Not trying to be funny but if that had been Neymar whose leg was broken tonight, the defender would have seen red, it would have been a penalty, and the ref would still be being hounded.

Getting decisions and bending the rules is an art and the La Liga sides do it better than anyone else right now.
:rolleyes:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I just don´t understand the tactics mention since the english top clubs are mostly managed by foreign managers. I think it´s about cycles. Spain is on top atm but it will change in the future. Always been like that.
But there are always reasons behind those cycles.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10

Although the real truth is they're just better at football.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I think that the developing of players there is several levels ahead of England. The coaches are also very good tactically. And the teams seem to be fearless in Europe.

Add to that, in Europe win usually teams that are organized and good tactically. EPL has always been (bar 2005-2010) a chaotic league, when teams won more by individual greatness rather than masterful performances.
City had one Englishman outfield tonight. They have spent nearly a billion since 2008. If it was my money I would be asking serious questions.

Revan

Assumptionman
City had one Englishman outfield tonight. They have spent nearly a billion since 2008. If it was my money I would be asking serious questions.
It is better having a team full of players from that country, rather than full of players who until yesterday didn't know each other.

On EPL is impossible to have a team full of English players, who would be any competitive though, which makes quite difficult for teams to be that strong.

Bwuk

Atletico would beat every single English side in a two legged knock out game, and they are only the third best side in Spain.

Better assembled squads. Think too many people over here overhype players based in England.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona

Go out, have a walk, have some nice coffee/tea. Then try to read your post again.

justboy68

It has been one matchday guys. Let us make it to April before you guys start stroking it.
It's not been one match day it's pretty much been the last 5 or so years. La liga being the top dogs that is.

Just look at their current coefficient numbers compared to everyone else, it paints the best objective picture possible and they are miles ahead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient I think it's a very fair debate to have, as Gio said there are always reasons behind the cycles of power.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Atletico would beat every single English side in a two legged knock out game, and they are only the third best side in Spain.

Better assembled squads. Think too many people over here overhype players based in England.
Well Atletico might be able to test your theory just wait.

cyberman

No Spanish team could have played the match in a more dominant fashion than we did tonight. How we lost that I do not know.
As far as City goes, they basically played with the same side that have failed so badly in Europe over the last 4 years minus Aguero. That's one thing other top sides in Europe wouldn't let happen.

Blackwidow

Real had 3 Spanish players in their starting X1. We had just as many today. If James was fit, Isco would have been on the bench and that would be 2.
Atletico (so I do not think that it is so difficult to win in Istanbul) had three - Juanfran, Saul Niguez and Koke.

Sevilla started with 3 spanish outfield players and the goalkeeper. So it is not so difficult to win in Gladbach right now...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ronaldo + Messi + Current crop of Spanish players.

It's simply a cycle.

Bwuk

Well Atletico might be able to test your theory just wait.
Knocked Chelsea out before. City will be lucky to get through their group which contains a weaker Spanish side.

Unless you think Arsenal could knock them out, because our attack vs Atleticos defence would be awful.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

What is the relation between the refereeing in la liga and the victories of la liga teams in Europe?.

IFC 1905

The answer is simple, in Spain the game technicalli is quite better, and overall, they play with solid midfields.

Atletico Madrid's midfield is better than almost any other teams in my eyes. We all know Barcelona, and Madrid just has too much power in their arse but are the weakest in spain ATM IMO.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Ronaldo + Messi + Current crop of Spanish players.

It's simply a cycle.
People always say this

Since the ban was lifted on English clubs 25 years ago how many of those years would you say the PL has been the number one league?

I think I am being generous to say 3 years

That's a short and irregular cycle

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Madrid have, what, two Spanish starters?...
Real had 3 Spanish players in their starting X1. We had just as many today. If James was fit, Isco would have been on the bench and that would be 2.
I'm sure you're both aware that using the line-up from one match isn't really appropriate for comparison and Real Madrid aren't the best team to use as an example anyway.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Let's roll the clock back to 2008
  • Manchester United have just won the Champions League but England have failed to reach the Euros.
  • English clubs are easily the best in Europe, with 3 out of 4 semi finalists in 2007 and 2008 (and 2009). In fact in 2008, no England club was knocked out by any other nationality of club.
Then Spain win the Euros in summer 2008. Barcelona win everything in existence in 2009. Spain win the World Cup in 2010. Barcelona win everything in existence in 2011. Spain win Euro 2012. Madrid and Madrid compete for the 2014 Champions League and Barcelona win nearly everything in existence in 2015...

I think there are two factors at play. First, Spain basically have a fantastic group of Spaniards at every age level. A Spanish XI of players based NOT in Spain would probably destroy any English XI you put out.

Secondly, just like Arsenal raised the bar with the Invisibles and Chelsea raised the bar further with the record breakers, and United met the challenge with the European Double winners.. there is a case of teams competing and out competing each other, which raises the standard of the whole league. When you've been playing super-Barcelona and Real Madrid at least 4 times a year for the past 8 years, the league improves. Atletico Madrid gave them a go. A few other clubs might raise their game to compete.

I dont think you can have use excuses other than to say Spanish football is pretty good right now.

Edit:

Oh, and after the Invicibles (2004), the Record-Breakers (2005) and the European Double Winners (2008), English football didn't push on. United lost Ronaldo and regressed slowly, slowly, then quickly. Chelsea lost Mourinho and regressed slowly, slowly then quickly. Arsenal gave up trying to win titles. Liverpool bought Andy Carroll. City have never truly pushed the league on.

Roman Bellic

Prick
*Waiting for one of those essay writers to come and give an in-depth analysis on why, just so i can write this underneath*

Deleted member 78215

I'm sure you're both aware that using the line-up from one match isn't really appropriate for comparison and Real Madrid aren't the best team to use as an example anyway.
Madrid's best team is made up of two Spanish starters. That's pretty much a fact.

Hell, Barca 'only' have 4 primary Spanish starters.

A. Madrid today had 4.

The problem lies in English football's scouting system, youth system and transfer decisions. All sub-par compared to La Liga teams.

Oo0AahCantona

City need Aguero fit and somebody like Schweinsteiger with a fecking clue in europe.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They are better coached, the teams are built around a core of players who play the same football and they are continuously pro active, they have a game plan and execute it. I'm always under the impression that English teams thrive in chaos and struggle when the game is "organized".

Deleted member 78215

They are better coached, the teams are built around a core of players who play the same football and they are continuously pro active, they have a game plan and execute it. I'm always under the impression that English teams thrive in chaos and struggle when the game is "organized".
That doesn't hold when you've got managers like Pellegrini and LVG - both of whom have had their successes in the CL, the latter's ostensibly greater than the former's, but still...

predator

Youth NITK
It's clear for everyone to see, they are better in all departments - bar goalkeeping maybe.

Why create a thread for something so obvious. The top teams in spain play football to a higher level than english clubs. There will always be that 'la liga is soft' argument but it's just not the case. The case is that they have better players in all positions than England does. Spanish players are also miles ahead of English players hence why so many of them play in all the best leagues in Europe. Englishmen however, in the top European leagues, can be counted on one hand.

It's been like this for a while and will carry on doing so imo. There do seem to be cycles in football ie english clubs have dominatedb europe briefly, which suggests another country may dominate soon.