Why is Scottish football so bad?

vidic blood & sand

Legendary players and managers have come and gone, but today the Scots are absolutely rubbish.
Not much better at Rugby either. What's going on up there?
I keep thinking they're going through a bad spell, but it gets worse when that doesn't seem possible.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
What peeves me off is Sky broadcast their matches, surely money would be better spent on showing another league like La Liga.

Chipper

Adulterer.
What peeves me off is Sky broadcast their matches, surely money would be better spent on showing another league like La Liga.
Viewing figures aren't too bad when they're on - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ttOxa37vTxi28PgdkIoHWbMAHVrdSIP5bNgaFHevNRU/edit#gid=0

Think I read once that Barca v Real was capable of 500k, other Barca and Real games around 100k and it was going down to as low as 10k for teams that nobody cared about.

Probably doesn't cost the same
SPL gets £19m a season form Sky and BT combined. Sky were paying £18m for La Liga but refused to continue to pay that much.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
All those Scots with Sky subscriptions want something for their investment. That said, Sky have been shafting the Scottish game for some time.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t know but you’d usually have a scattering of Scottish players in the EPL but I can’t name many other than McTominay and Robertson. They’re starting with Johnny Russell upfront who scored 1 goal in the Championship a couple of seasons ago.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Legendary players and managers have come and gone, but today the Scots are absolutely rubbish.
I keep thinking they're going through a bad spell, but it gets worse when that doesn't seem possible.
Lack of proper investment in coaching and facilities. Society changed in the 1990s and players did not develop themselves any more. Problem was that the penny didn't drop for Scottish football until the late 2000s. Changes made to youth development in the 2010s will bear fruit in the next few years, but suspect we will still be behind the curve due to a failure to modernise the game and invest properly in facilities and coaching in the way that Iceland and others have done.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It is a bit of a disgrace, considering it is the most popular sport in our country by a mile. Should be on Belgium's level ffs. No excuse.

Reddy Rederson

My guess is it has something to do with attitudes at club level. There been very little investment in youth, the “bigger” clubs were for a long time buying 3rd rate Spanish players instead of promoting Scottish players. Then, Celtic started buying up all the decent players in the league from all the other clubs. No competition between the best Scottish players means lake of development. One thing wouldn’t be enough to do it, but it appears that it’s the perfect storm of shit management from the top of the league to bottom of the clubs.

Let’s just put it this way, I went to school with a guy who ended up playing professionally and he fecking sucked. I mean I can’t play worth a feck. Even as a kid I had a foot like a 20p peace, and I could play rings round this guy. So god knows what’s been going on with recruitment and youth development over the past 30/40 years.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don’t know but you’d usually have a scattering of Scottish players in the EPL but I can’t name many other than McTominay and Robertson. They’re starting with Johnny Russell upfront who scored 1 goal in the Championship a couple of seasons ago.
Ryan Fraser is ripping it up at Bournemouth although he always seems to pick up injuries in international week so hardly plays for them.

Not sure about the demand to be as good as Belgium but Scotland should at least make a tournament every now and then as ROI do and lately Norn Iron and Wales. Their leagues are semi pro compared to SPL after all.

Looking at their squad they have reasonable midfield options and a genuine top class LB in Robertson but their forwards and CBs are mediocre which is a problem at international level. Generally the teams that qualify for tournaments have good options in one of those positions.

I also think a big problem is how negative their mindset tends to be. Looking at history where things kept going wrong at crucial moments. If you keep expecting it to happen it generally does.

Their away record in recent times is woeful which generally stops them qualifying for things.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Agree that we are shit at football.

But would just like to point out that we are currently the Calcutta Cup holders. Get that round ye.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
My guess is it has something to do with attitudes at club level. There been very little investment in youth, the “bigger” clubs were for a long time buying 3rd rate Spanish players instead of promoting Scottish players. Then, Celtic started buying up all the decent players in the league from all the other clubs. No competition between the best Scottish players means lake of development. One thing wouldn’t be enough to do it, but it appears that it’s the perfect storm of shit management from the top of the league to bottom of the clubs.

Let’s just put it this way, I went to school with a guy who ended up playing professionally and he fecking sucked. I mean I can’t play worth a feck. Even as a kid I had a foot like a 20p peace, and I could play rings round this guy. So god knows what’s been going on with recruitment and youth development over the past 30/40 years.
From those reasons I can buy the lack of long term planning in youth academies. You guys should follow the good things from our model.
Like Scotland, portuguese football entered a downward spiral in the mid-80's to mid-90's, where we were lacking quality from youth ranks and our NT was getting embarassing results.

YEs, we always had some top players, but the NT team was very unbalanced and we lacked quality in several positions.

About the transfer policy, I can't fully agree on this. Poorer leagues like the Scottish or the Portuguese league have to rely on finding / hiring rough diamonds mainly from south america (because it's still a cheap market in quality-price) and if we can, get some transfers from other european leagues, mainly from smaller clubs or young players with potential who seem to need a push for their careers ( Porto hired Mbemba, for example).

We need to buy rough diamonds, because if the players are already showing glimpses of talent, they're already out of our market and will prefer to sign for smaller clubs of Italy / Spain / England than playing in the portuguese league.

Clubs in Scotland have to embrace the idea that the players can use the club as a leverage to get a transfer to the EPL / La Liga / Serie A.

Red_toad

It's all the fault of the English oppressing them, oh and deep fried mars bars making them fat white text

But seriously it's poor coaching and poor grass roots development. What's more they seem happy to continue as they are...

goofygoofygoofy

This might seem counter-intuitive but too many academies. The talent gets spread around too many teams and so the competition level, which youngsters need to improve, isn't there. They'd be better off with most of their youth players going to the big five (Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen) and playing games against English teams.

I can't remember exactly the stat I read but it's something like this: Scotland have half the number of academies that Germany has with one sixteenth of the population. It's obvious that academy football isn't going to be that good.

Classical Mechanic

It's all the fault of the English oppressing them, oh and deep fried mars bars making them fat white text

But seriously it's poor coaching and poor grass roots development. What's more they seem happy to continue as they are...
Like the other home nations they are actually going to massively benefit from the increasingly quality of football development in England. They will get to poach players under the granny rule whilst their best talent like Billy Gilmour can get a superior education at clubs like Chelsea.

I think the Home Nations will improve a fair bit within the next 5-10 years.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Grass roots is a shambles up here. The school system is useless and the clubs don’t have any forward thinking methods or coaches to try and implement change. Weather also doesn’t help.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
From those reasons I can buy the lack of long term planning in youth academies. You guys should follow the good things from our model.
They should even look at current Luxembourg model. Not joking.
Like Scotland, portuguese football entered a downward spiral in the mid-80's to mid-90's, where we were lacking quality from youth ranks and our NT was getting embarassing results.
Yes and no. Our NT went on a bad spiral post 66 with some flashes on 84 but Saltillo disrupted a lot the NT. Reason why players like Futre, Rui Barros, Vitor Paneira or even Oceano were chasing shaddows on the pitch.

Our turning point was our youth teams under Queiroz, Vingada and Caçador during the mid 80's and 90's. The game changer was 89 and 91 when they won the under 20 WC.
YEs, we always had some top players, but the NT team was very unbalanced and we lacked quality in several positions.
The current recovery is related with the upgrades on Seixal and even Porto without playing youth on their lineups already produced on the last seasons Andre Silva, Neves and Dalot. And look out at Fabio Silva from 2002. Regarding Scotland they need to invest heavily on Academies and coaching at youth level.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Most European leagues outside the top five or so have declined in recent years as the money increasingly flows to a select few. Arguably the top teams in the Netherlands, Portugal etc are all weaker than they once were insofar as sides who used to win top European competitions tend not to stand a chance of doing so anymore.

The game here isn't great but not all that much money tends to get invested into it compared to down south, and most of these complaints tend to come from people who watch one Old Firm game a season and then infer everything about the Scottish game from that. It might not be brilliant but this season already has been filled with entertainment so far, with the likes of Hearts, Hibs and Kilmarnock all performing better than expected. Plus Aberdeen gave a respectable showing against Burnley in the EL despite assumptions they'd get thrashed.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This sounds so familiar here in Ireland - same problems = Shite team
If anything Scotland should do more than Ireland. They should be better than Ireland, Northern Ireland or Wales. After all they have football clubs with strong identity and history. Clearly they stagnated their development since the mid 90's.

@Cheesy the main point isn't about the League its more related with youth development. Post Bosman even the French League has declined if we take PSG out of the equation.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If anything Scotland should do more than Ireland. They should be better than Ireland, Northern Ireland or Wales. After all they have football clubs with strong identity and history. Clearly they stagnated their development since the mid 90's.

@Cheesy the main point isn't about the League its more related with youth development. Post Bosman even the French League has declined if we take PSG out of the equation.
Youth development has admittedly been shite. You'd be hard-pressed to name a proper world class Scotland player in the last 20-25 years, which is deeply concerning. Most mid-sized European nations tend to produce the occasional one: Wales have had Giggs and Bale, Sweden had Larsson and Zlatan, Slovakia have Hamsik, the Czech Republic have had the likes of Cech and Nedved etc. For us the closest you'd get in recent years would maybe be Fletcher, and possibly Gordon and McGregor when they've been at their best. Which doesn't really compare.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Mostly because they're a small country without much money who were better at a time when tv money, and having a large populace to fund it wasn't a thing. They also had a head start with being one of first countries to play the sport and for it to be ingrained in culture, the impact of which has lessened over time.

They can do better, of course they can, and they could look at what Iceland have done lately or some other countries. Iceland are an outlier though, or everyone would be doing it and it reamins to be seen how long their upturn will last. Lack of money and people means it will always be an uphill battle now, and they may always be crap from now on.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
England would be just as shit as Scotland if our population was the same.
The population itself isn't really the issue - England got beaten in a World Cup semi-final a couple of months ago by a country smaller than Scotland. We're always going to be less likely to do well than England but considering the interest in football up here it's fair to expect our national team to make the occasional tournament from time to time.

GlasgowRedz

There's definitely been a shift in youth football in Scotland over the past few years. The SFA have set up performance schools (7 in the country) where kids can apply to go to and get proper coaching whilst completing their education.

Our U17's and U19's have been showing improved results over the past few years, but possibly more telling is that we have improved technically and are able to dominate possession against historically bigger and better nations.

These players are starting to filter up to the U21 side now and we even have the likes of Billy Gilmour playing U21 football at age 17. He got the "Revelation of the Tournament" award at the Toulon Tournament this year, where our U20 team made the semi finals for the second year running beating the likes of France & Brazil on the way.

A lot of the performance school graduates are playing first team football for Scottish Premier League teams at age 16 which will be good for their development.

It will probably take a bit longer for this process to start positively affecting the full National Team, but there is definitely positive signs.

The SPL was bad enough as a two team league, when Rangers went to the wall it became a completely pointless competition. Nobody wants to watch it and as a result the networks don't have much interest in showing it or investing in it, so less people watch it, less money comes in, and so on.

redshaw

I hope there's a return. So many great players and managers then just nothing for quite a while now. When you look at Croatia with a population of 4 million, it's quite embarrassing considering what Scotland used to produce.

Probably a problem symptomatic with these shores. People with the necessary quality end up pursuing other careers. Lack of good English managers is quite a thing.

RochaRoja

Scotland needs to take a leaf out of England, France, Germany and Belgium’s book and develop large migrant communities.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Mostly because they're a small country without much money who were better at a time when tv money, and having a large populace to fund it wasn't a thing. They also had a head start with being one of first countries to play the sport and for it to be ingrained in culture, the impact of which has lessened over time.

They can do better, of course they can, and they could look at what Iceland have done lately or some other countries. Iceland are an outlier though, or everyone would be doing it and it reamins to be seen how long their upturn will last. Lack of money and people means it will always be an uphill battle now, and they may always be crap from now on.
Population can't be an excuse. Croatia and Denmark have relatively low population and yet they create talented players consistently.

Money can't also be used as the main factor: Croatia is a low middle class country, borderlining poverty.

Croatia had some troubles in the post Jugosalvia wars, but they recovered quite well.
In fact, Croatia has top players in football, basketball, handball, etc

It's all about creating conditions. The passion for football is there, scotts love football. Look at the amazing players Scotland has produced. They just need to recover the mojo.

Needham

They went middle class. A genuine force when half of them were tramps in London babbling "See you, Jimmy". I have no pity for them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I hope there's a return. So many great players and managers then just nothing for quite a while now. When you look at Croatia with a population of 4 million, it's quite embarrassing considering what Scotland used to produce.

Probably a problem symptomatic with these shores. People with the necessary quality end up pursuing other careers. Lack of good English managers is quite a thing.
I just mentioned Croatia as example too. The problem is deeper than we probably think. A nation that produced talents like Dalgish, Archibald, etc can't just suddenly stop doing that.

I guess that Scotland already has some good youth academies, they just need a reliable method to maximize them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The SPL was bad enough as a two team league, when Rangers went to the wall it became a completely pointless competition. Nobody wants to watch it and as a result the networks don't have much interest in showing it or investing in it, so less people watch it, less money comes in, and so on.
I guess smaller clubs DoF are probably quite poor at long term planning. Scottish teams usually pick the "easy route" in hiring third tier english players. They are a shortcut for immediate problems, but they lack potential to make the club grow and become a possible source of income.

Champagne Football

Wouldn't be surprised to see a sugar daddy come in and buy a club in the SPL and turn it into another Ligue 1 where the Champions League is where the focus is. Not that you'd attract too many big names there but if the money is right you'll get mid-table level PL players happy to go north to quadruple wages. The likes of Arnautovic, Callum Wilson, Shaqiri, Bertrand etc would probably be happy to move north if the money was too good to say no to.

Glaswegian

Doesn't help when the SFA appoint dinosaurs like McLeish and Malky Mackay who is performance director of the SFA. The game is stuck in the 70's/80's, it's a shite state of affairs to be in.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Wouldn't be surprised to see a sugar daddy come in and buy a club in the SPL and turn it into another Ligue 1 where the Champions League is where the focus is. Not that you'd attract too many big names there but if the money is right you'll get mid-table level PL players happy to go north to quadruple wages. The likes of Arnautovic, Callum Wilson, Shaqiri, Bertrand etc would probably be happy to move north if the money was too good to say no to.
Really doubt it. Sugar daddies usually use football clubs as interface to do other business in the country they buy the club. The UK main business centers are in England.

Unless it happens like Olimpia Milano (Euroleague), a team that belongs to Giorgio Armani and has a season budget of 20M€. Unless some scotch whisky owner bilionaire decides to invest in his club, I can't see it happening.