g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Why is Scottish football so bad?

Le Red

Scotland needs to take a leaf out of England, France, Germany and Belgium’s book and develop large migrant communities.
Croatia doesn't have large immigrant communities. Iceland has 300.000 people living there ffs. Spain is hardly a multiethnical society.
Of course those NTs you mentioned have benefited from the presence of immigrants in their society but to use that as a rad pro-immigration argument is beyond irresponsible.
Stop this campaign to promote immigration politics as means to achieve sporting ends.

Zlatattack

(British hoofball mentality + lack of youth development) * no money = Scottish football

They should look at what Iceland do and replicate that.

Andersons Dietician

Grass roots is a shambles up here. The school system is useless and the clubs don’t have any forward thinking methods or coaches to try and implement change. Weather also doesn’t help.
This. We tend to have spattering of very good prospects but then they just fall away to nothing, even now there are good players about but for whatever reason they don’t get picked. We don’t seem to be able to put a team out.

I’m sure not that long ago the SFA set up a centre of excellence or something and started to develop young technical talents, however the school system is a joke, mainly due to funding but it’s not well organised at all and not even really that competitive.

A big problem is generally the lack of facilities, you would think all you need is a grass field but if you look around aberdeen all the pitches around the goals are fenced off in the summer months when kids can go and play, and indoor pitches are few and far between and to rent one is about £70 for an hour. That’s a 7 aside pitch.
Crap weather, nowhere to play and kids with better easier options like playing computer games equals a lack of talent.

Glaswegian

This. We tend to have spattering of very good prospects but then they just fall away to nothing, even now there are good players about but for whatever reason they don’t get picked. We don’t seem to be able to put a team out.

I’m sure not that long ago the SFA set up a centre of excellence or something and started to develop young technical talents, however the school system is a joke, mainly due to funding but it’s not well organised at all and not even really that competitive.

A big problem is generally the lack of facilities, you would think all you need is a grass field but if you look around aberdeen all the pitches around the goals are fenced off in the summer months when kids can go and play, and indoor pitches are few and far between and to rent one is about £70 for an hour. That’s a 7 aside pitch.
Crap weather, nowhere to play and kids with better easier options like playing computer games equals a lack of talent.
Same here too man, we used to get chased off the local 5 a side pitches despite there being absolutely no one other than us there playing. Only other places we had were the two local Schools, which again the Janitor would chase you off of and phone the police (this was after hours of course, not like we played when Schools were in :lol:). All that's left for you to do it felt at that age was to start getting a bevvy with your pals, which is obviously the problem all over Scotland.

Baxter

Ryan Fraser is ripping it up at Bournemouth although he always seems to pick up injuries in international week so hardly plays for them.

Not sure about the demand to be as good as Belgium but Scotland should at least make a tournament every now and then as ROI do and lately Norn Iron and Wales. Their leagues are semi pro compared to SPL after all.

Looking at their squad they have reasonable midfield options and a genuine top class LB in Robertson but their forwards and CBs are mediocre which is a problem at international level. Generally the teams that qualify for tournaments have good options in one of those positions.

I also think a big problem is how negative their mindset tends to be. Looking at history where things kept going wrong at crucial moments. If you keep expecting it to happen it generally does.

Their away record in recent times is woeful which generally stops them qualifying for things.
Speaking of Fraser, that’s another problem. It actually worked out for him, but he left Aberdeen after less than a full season in the first team to go down to England. A fair few have went down there too early and never made it. Far more value to sticking it out up here for a couple of years and then moving.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

The idea is to build a joint project with the SFA and clubs. You don't solve grassroot problems by just building training centers, otherwise the arabs would have tons of world class players, which is not happening anytime soon.
You need to create a plan to implement methods to help youngsters to develop into proper professional football players. And you need to make sure all club's academies will implement them.

You don't even need top of the art training academies: here in Portugal small clubs develop decent footballers just having basic facilities: for example, in our equivalent to Championship almost every club has an artificial grass training field for young kids and a building that mashes up gymn, a study room for kids to have a place to do their homework while waiting for the training to begin and an indoor multi-sport court (it is normal in PT for clubs to have several sports).

You need to modernize the approach to training the young kids. You have to make them learn while they train, not train them like regular footballers.

simplyared

What highlights the sad affair regarding Scottish footballers, is that if you were to put a team out of all time best players hardly any of them (if any at all) would have played in the PL.

Andersons Dietician

The idea is to build a joint project with the SFA and clubs. You don't solve grassroot problems by just building training centers, otherwise the arabs would have tons of world class players, which is not happening anytime soon.
You need to create a plan to implement methods to help youngsters to develop into proper professional football players. And you need to make sure all club's academies will implement them.

You don't even need top of the art training academies: here in Portugal small clubs develop decent footballers just having basic facilities: for example, in our equivalent to Championship almost every club has an artificial grass training field for young kids and a building that mashes up gymn, a study room for kids to have a place to do their homework while waiting for the training to begin and an indoor multi-sport court (it is normal in PT for clubs to have several sports).

You need to modernize the approach to training the young kids. You have to make them learn while they train, not train them like regular footballers.
True there is also a law in place here where you can only spend a certain amount of time training kids where the limits elsewhere in Europe aren’t as strict. I recall SAF saying it’s a lot harder to develop youth in Britain than it is in other countries due to that.

When I mention facilities I do mean pitches, you can’t get on them or use the goals and often they are in very bad condition. There aren’t many free spots in Aberdeen for example where you can play football. So kids look to other forms of entertainment.

Camilo

We're just not that interested in it. The money dried up decades ago and the quality of the league dropped off completely. English football coverage simultaneously became excellent, and since we all grew up with both leagues effectively being "ours" anyway, we just followed the quality.

It's a shame really. We all complain about the rich one-percent-ers, but the EPL is just that. Money money money. And the amount of people on here celebrating that money as if it's our achievement... And we're expected to pay well over a grand a year to watch it on TV? To fund wages that are 10x what is reasonable.. To fund transfer fees that are straight up disgusting.. Funny old world isn't it...

Anyway, maybe we'll all get bored of it. The EPL circus can get rather tiring, and sometimes watching an old fashioned kick about at Tynecastle for a reasonable fee, paid at the gate, is exactly what you really want.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
True there is also a law in place here where you can only spend a certain amount of time training kids where the limits elsewhere in Europe aren’t as strict. I recall SAF saying it’s a lot harder to develop youth in Britain than it is in other countries due to that.
It's an odd law, I tell you. Kids love training sessions and nothing wrong with having your kid entretained for a couple of hours. What if clubs create partnerships with schools and have training sessions on school environment? Are school sports also included in that time limit?

Baxter

It's an odd law, I tell you. Kids love training sessions and nothing wrong with having your kid entretained for a couple of hours. What if clubs create partnerships with schools and have training sessions on school environment? Are school sports also included in that time limit?
A lot of the senior clubs won’t let their boys play for their school or local teams once they are part of the set up. Another ridiculous decision that does nothing to help players.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
We're just not that interested in it. The money dried up decades ago and the quality of the league dropped off completely. English football coverage simultaneously became excellent, and since we all grew up with both leagues effectively being "ours" anyway, we just followed the quality.

It's a shame really. We all complain about the rich one-percent-ers, but the EPL is just that. Money money money. And the amount of people on here celebrating that money as if it's our achievement... And we're expected to pay well over a grand a year to watch it on TV? To fund wages that are 10x what is reasonable.. To fund transfer fees that are straight up disgusting.. Funny old world isn't it...

Anyway, maybe we'll all get bored of it. The EPL circus can get rather tiring, and sometimes watching an old fashioned kick about at Tynecastle for a reasonable fee, paid at the gate, is exactly what you really want.
Football nowadays fits more in the entretaning industry than in the sports industry. Players and managers are treated by the media like actors or rocks stars, and even the doping control is much less tight in football than it is for other sports.

It is so mainstream that nowadays you actually have people who are football player fans, and will support the clubs where that player plays through his career.

The EPL sky rocket wages + sky rocket transfer fees are getting a bit out of control, tbh. It is not sustainable on the long term as several articles have already pointed. Except for the top clubs, who can rely on heavy merchandising receipts.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah it really is, I think it’s tied in to child labour laws. It would be great if there was more structure involved from the schools up to the clubs but like Baxter said if you play for a club or are involved in training with them you don’t really get to play for your school.

The whole system needs a rethink and more indoor pitches need to be made and ready available a long with just areas like these football cages you see for 5 aside games. There really just aren’t the places to play and every field or area has a no ball games sign up.
Schools need to have proper leagues, proper pitches, proper coaches so on. There is a new school just built near me and I think they share their pitch with a proper highland league outfit, there might be a few pitches up there, haven’t been to look yet.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
A lot of the senior clubs won’t let their boys play for their school or local teams once they are part of the set up. Another ridiculous decision that does nothing to help players.
Conversely, playing school football on some shit dirt field behind a school against some garbage kids who will be hacking at your legs does nothing to help players either.

I don't buy into all this blaming development on the lack of pitches not being fenced off. Kicking a ball around down the park with your shit mates doesn't make a professional. Proper training from a high level coach and experience playing against the highest level of youth is what makes a top level footballer.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The culture's all wrong. We fall short on social attitudes, fan experience, diet, physical activity and joint working across clubs, governing bodies and government. For a country which loves its football as much as we do and who turn out to support its clubs better than anyone else in Europe, it's a major collective failure.

The performance schools are doing well, but they need to be scaled up. Greater investment in facilities that people can access. The majority of youth football is run by volunteers because our coaching education system is too expensive for the majority to access. Do what Iceland did and prioritise investment to get the youth coaches skilled up. There has been enough money in the sport to do these things a long time ago, but there's been too much focus on gentrifying the game (eg minimum 6k all-seater stadia) and frittering away valuable resources. We are so far off where we need to be on these aspects it's no surprise we are struggling on the continent.

Conversely, playing school football on some shit dirt field behind a school against some garbage kids who will be hacking at your legs does nothing to help players either.

I don't buy into all this blaming development on the lack of pitches not being fenced off. Kicking a ball around down the park with your shit mates doesn't make a professional. Proper training from a high level coach and experience playing against the highest level of youth is what makes a top level footballer.
Agreed. But there are clear systematic examples that kids aren't playing enough football - and restricting the time in which they can hone their ability hasn't helped at all. The bottom level is pretty crap because kids aren't playing enough - a couple of hours on an astroturf a week isn't going to compare with the 20+ hours any footballer from yesteryear grew up on.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Take away the money from the epl, take away the foreigners bought at ridiculous amount of money and wage, England arent that far off.

Imagine if we have to field 11 scottish or English player because we can't afford to buy a pogba.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Say 5 million people in Scotland
Say 25-40 million people with Scottish descent, living mainly in the US, Canada, Australia, England and Northern Ireland
Say 25-40 million whisky drunkers

3 attenuating circumstances

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have no idea what has happened apart from the obvious issue of money. Look back at the host of brilliant Scots players and the occasional good Scots team the decline has been astonishing.

I am sure we can all name dozens of top quality players including Souness, Dalglish, Joe Jordan, Hansen, Gemill etc etc the list is mightily impressive.

And now....

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
The short answer is the SFA. Longer answers would take a LOT of time, haha.

Reddy Rederson

They've been shite for decades. Water is wet, Scotland are shite at football.
I was about to challenge this and suddenly realised it has been decades :(. I dont think we've ever been great(if we were it was well before my time), but at least we got to finals. It was the running joke, we make to the finals and make a big deal about it then get kicked out at the group stages. That last game of the group turning everyone into rain man trying to figure out how we could finally get out of the group, only for us to play shit anyway. The one time I remember us almost getting out of the group stage was in 96. We needed England to score 4 goals into holland, and feck me if they didnt go and do it as well. The one time we could have made it, and it would have been thanks to england playing a blinder against a very good holland side. Alas it wasnt to be as holland grabbed a goal and crushed scottish hearts.

Now we cant even get into a finals. The reasons are plenty. Far too many to name. I hear its gotten so bad that a large section of the tartan army is suggesting going to the ladies finals just so they have a finals to go to. Great for the womans game, but speaks volumes about the state of the mens game.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yeah it really is, I think it’s tied in to child labour laws. It would be great if there was more structure involved from the schools up to the clubs but like Baxter said if you play for a club or are involved in training with them you don’t really get to play for your school.

The whole system needs a rethink and more indoor pitches need to be made and ready available a long with just areas like these football cages you see for 5 aside games. There really just aren’t the places to play and every field or area has a no ball games sign up.
Schools need to have proper leagues, proper pitches, proper coaches so on. There is a new school just built near me and I think they share their pitch with a proper highland league outfit, there might be a few pitches up there, haven’t been to look yet.
Here in Portugal we also have some limits in hours, probably a lot less than the UK. But there are turnarrounds. And the portuguese big clubs had made some interesting projects that could be done in Scotland.

An example I know, because a friend of mine work's there: Porto made a project called Dragonforce. The project is working so well that about 35% of all players in youth football comes from this project. It worked so well that Benfica and Sporting also created their version.

So what is this project about? This is a school just like any other, where the kids have lessons and in the end of the day they go training and play football, as an extra-curricular school activity.
Unless extra-curricular school activities are also counting for that law, it is a quite simple way to contour the legislation.

About the indoor futsal courts: I thought it was quite common in every country to have futsal / basketball / etc indoor courts. Futsal is as fun to watch as football.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t know but you’d usually have a scattering of Scottish players in the EPL but I can’t name many other than McTominay and Robertson. They’re starting with Johnny Russell upfront who scored 1 goal in the Championship a couple of seasons ago.
Ryan Fraser from Bournemouth

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
About the indoor futsal courts: I thought it was quite common in every country to have futsal / basketball / etc indoor courts. Futsal is as fun to watch as football.
Plenty of leisure centre halls, but only 1 or 2 full-size futsal courts in the country. The game doesn't have much pedigree here, although it has moved forward over the last few years.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Plenty of leisure centre halls, but only 1 or 2 full-size futsal courts in the country. The game doesn't have much pedigree here, although it has moved forward over the last few years.
That is quite terrible. Here at Portugal we have dozens of indoor futsal courts in each city. Those courts are also usually used for Rink Hockey, which is one of the most popular sports in Portugal.

Usually a club is not only about football. It is quite common that a club has multisports teams. Benfica has a futsal team (who already won the equivalent of the Champions League), volleyball team, basketbal team (crappy one, but still :D ), handball, rink hockey, etc.

I guess in the UK is normal for clubs to play just one sport.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
To me it is quite obvious why Scottish football is now rubbish. The same reason why all the smaller leagues are rubbish.

For example Red Star Belgrade won the European Cup/Champions League in 1991 and they are from Serbia which was then known as Yugoslavia.

As the PL got bigger in reputation all the best players started to flock there. Now all the best players in the world are spread across 5 top flight leagues.

England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany and at a push Holland and Portugal. The latter two have worse players but still good players.

With money in football being more and more prominent, with sky sports rights etc.

Unfortunately all the other leagues across Europe and Argentina/ Brazil have taken a hit.

Put the same money from the PL into all these leagues and in 10 years time their would be a massive rise in quality.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Legendary players and managers have come and gone, but today the Scots are absolutely rubbish.
Not much better at Rugby either. What's going on up there?
I keep thinking they're going through a bad spell, but it gets worse when that doesn't seem possible.
Harsh on rugby front. They've come on a lot in last few years tbf (and I'm not Scottish).

ROFLUTION

The country is the size of Denmark - Should it really be bigger/better than it is? (Considering the talents would also be taken away early since they're british)

EireRed_GS

Money does have a big factor in fairness, I did read once that the champions of SPL get less that bottom place in PL, which if correct, is a bit mad.

Its a shame.. as i remember in the early 2000s the Old firm teams (especially Celtic) were two teams the european elite hated drawing in their group. O'Neill's Celtic were a very tough team to beat.

Both them teams are like cannon fodder these days when playing a top team.

To me it is quite obvious why Scottish football is now rubbish. The same reason why all the smaller leagues are rubbish.

For example Red Star Belgrade won the European Cup/Champions League in 1991 and they are from Serbia which was then known as Yugoslavia.

As the PL got bigger in reputation all the best players started to flock there. Now all the best players in the world are spread across 5 top flight leagues.

England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany and at a push Holland and Portugal. The latter two have worse players but still good players.

With money in football being more and more prominent, with sky sports rights etc.

Unfortunately all the other leagues across Europe and Argentina/ Brazil have taken a hit.

Put the same money from the PL into all these leagues and in 10 years time their would be a massive rise in quality.
The lack of money is clearly a massive factor. The decline of Rangers made the league even worse, but even if Rangers get back to competing with Celtic - you have a league where only two teams are competitive. Therefore, it’s just not interesting, and those two clubs just hoover up any half decent player.

It’s not competitive, when it’s not competitive, it means Celtic and Rangers (potentially) will not be equipped to perform in Europe and the cycle continues.

Moriarty

That is quite terrible. Here at Portugal we have dozens of indoor futsal courts in each city. Those courts are also usually used for Rink Hockey, which is one of the most popular sports in Portugal.

Usually a club is not only about football. It is quite common that a club has multisports teams. Benfica has a futsal team (who already won the equivalent of the Champions League), volleyball team, basketbal team (crappy one, but still :D ), handball, rink hockey, etc.

I guess in the UK is normal for clubs to play just one sport.
We did have a basketball team at one point in time. There was even a thread on it here:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchester-united-basketball-club.271068/

Beagle

You take out all the talented foreigners from the Premier League and you could ask the same question about English football.

Trizy

This sounds so familiar here in Ireland - same problems = Shite team
Scarp GAA and we'd have a pretty good standards here. As well as a good NT.

We're a very heavily sports driven country. It's just a petty football is 4th on the list behind Hurling, GAA Football & Rugby.

Belgium have a similar size population to us so it's not beyond the possibility to be as good as them (or near as good).

JBoi

Granted the standard of facilities in Scotland is very poor. But i would say that it is the way we coach school kids to play is the problem. In places like Spain, where they have a very high standard of technical players, they start children off playing in small five a sides. They even play Futsal, getting lots of touches on the ball in confined spaces. The Spanish FA wanted to give their football team an identity, the youth team playing in the exact same way the Professional teams do.

Ideally i would like to see the SFA reinvest in coaches. Raise the standard of coaching in the country. In England there are currently 1178 coaches that have attained UEFA "A" Level. Spain have 12720.... At pro licence level England have 203 with Spanish figure sitting at 2140. I don't know what the stats are in Scotland, but i can guarantee they are a LOT less than even the English numbers. (Stats taken from ESPN article... http://www.espn.co.uk/football/columns/story/_/id/1572894/counting-cost-coaching)

Once Scotland have increased the standard of coaching in the country the players will follow. The coaches should be working with the SFA to nurture players from a young age and coach them in the style of play that should be driven from the Scottish National Manager. Or at least have someone overseeing the program since managers change so often. There is no short cut to raising the standard of football in this country. And until the SFA realises this and starts to invest in the youth development, I fear we wont be qualifying for any major tournaments any time soon.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Scotland needs to take a leaf out of England, France, Germany and Belgium’s book and develop large migrant communities.
What's your point? I can only speak with certainty about Germany, but every single player of the current team was born, raised and trained in Germany, I think most if not all "immigrants" even have at least one German parent. Good youth work creates good players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What's your point? I can only speak with certainty about Germany, but every single player of the current team was born, raised and trained in Germany, I think most if not all "immigrants" even have at least one German parent. Good youth work creates good players.
Maybe wrong here but I think almost all the players who plays for England, France, Belgium, Germany are either born in the same country or moved when they were very young and were graduated from the academies. It's not like Deco, Pepe or Diego Costa type situation.

Just adding to your post.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The lack of money is clearly a massive factor. The decline of Rangers made the league even worse, but even if Rangers get back to competing with Celtic - you have a league where only two teams are competitive. Therefore, it’s just not interesting, and those two clubs just hoover up any half decent player.

It’s not competitive, when it’s not competitive, it means Celtic and Rangers (potentially) will not be equipped to perform in Europe and the cycle continues.
Imagine if the SPL clubs got the TV money that the PL get currently.

The SPL would improve drastically.

JBoi

Imagine if the SPL clubs got the TV money that the PL get currently.

The SPL would improve drastically.
At the end of the day, I don’t really care about the tv money. Yes we would improve the standard of football in the league. But that wouldn’t do anything for young Scottish players. We need to improve them first. That would lead to better players in Scotland. Which would then be sold for more money.