Why Messi is not the GOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ji_Maria

Messi barely played in 2006.

You've invalidated your entire argument again.

Messi wasn't poor in 2010 or 2014 either.
Messi was piss-poor in 2014. He scored a load of goals against Nigeria and Bosnia before disappearing in the knock-out stages. I think you need to have a mental refresh of how Argentina struggled to reach the finals.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's actually ironic that the OP uses Lebron for this argument against Messi.

Lebron's 2011 finals meltdown is worse than anything Messi's done in his career and Lebron was on a super team too.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Right, I'm not saying Barca would be the same if you just took Messi out, obviously he is an integral part of the team. I'm saying, Barca would probably look very similar if you replaced Messi with any certain other similar world class players.

But this is not to be confused with a statement that Messi isn't a contributing factor on Barca. In fact, I've said it many times before, Messi is clearly the best player on Barca and probably the entire world at this time. That is however a different statement to saying "GOAT."
There is literally no one even comparable at the moment to him, you might swap him with for example De Bruyne who was brilliant this year, he'd probably offer similar level of playmaking and passing, but he's nowhere near the dribble threat, and instead of 50+ goals per season, you'd be lucky to get fifteen. The gulf is that big.

Ji_Maria

It's actually ironic that the OP uses Lebron for this argument against Messi.

Lebron's 2011 finals meltdown is worse than anything Messi's done in his career and Lebron was on a super team too.
I used Lebron as an example of how a player can be the best even when their team is losing, not to argue that Lebron is the GOAT. Obviously I think Michael Jordan or Chamberlain are the GOAT.

Ji_Maria

There is literally no one even comparable at the moment to him, you might swap him with for example De Bruyne who was brilliant this year, he'd probably offer similar level of playmaking and passing, but he's nowhere near the dribble threat, and instead of 50+ goals per season, you'd be lucky to get fifteen. The gulf is that big.
I'm basing my opinion based on the below:

"Without him, the numbers are worse, but not by much. Without Leo, the Blaugrana have won 66 per cent of their games, which is just four per cent less. The per cent of draws in 21 per cent and defeats comes in at 13 per cent."

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi was piss-poor in 2014. He scored a load of goals against Nigeria and Bosnia before disappearing in the knock-out stages. I think you need to have a mental refresh of how Argentina struggled to reach the finals.
Piss-poor in 2014 is someone like Ronaldo(even if he was injured) in 2014 or Ronaldinho in 2006.

There is no objectivity involved if you say he was piss-poor.

He wasn't great, but piss-poor is hyperbole and something that can't be taken seriously.

Argentina squeaked to the finals, because their attacking structure has been horrific for years now and they depended on a good defense back then.

Ji_Maria

Piss-poor in 2014 is someone like Ronaldo(even if he was injured) in 2014 or Ronaldinho in 2006.

There is no objectivity involved if you say he was piss-poor.

He wasn't great, but piss-poor is hyperbole and something that can't be taken seriously.

Argentina squeaked to the finals, because their attacking structure has been horrific for years now and they depended on a good defense back then.
You're right, I exagerrated. He wasn't "piss-poor" overrall, but for a supposed GOAT, he was very underwhelming. He was average, and obviously I think there were several other players who performed better than Messi in 2014, including Neymar and James who are nowhere near GOAT status.

Eddy_JukeZ

I used Lebron as an example of how a player can be the best even when their team is losing, not to argue that Lebron is the GOAT. Obviously I think Michael Jordan or Chamberlain are the GOAT.
And I gave you an example of how Lebron wasn't even the best in the 2011 finals.

He wasn't even the 3rd best player in that series.

Many basketball fans(including me) still hold that series against him for his GOAT argument.

And to be clear, I don't consider Messi the GOAT either. But you're downplaying him a lot in this thread IMO.

There's no one in the world who would replace him at Barcelona and replicate what he's done. Closest 1 is Neymar, but he'd fall short too clearly.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
I'm basing my opinion based on the below:

"Without him, the numbers are worse, but not by much. Without Leo, the Blaugrana have won 66 per cent of their games, which is just four per cent less. The per cent of draws in 21 per cent and defeats comes in at 13 per cent."
Take into account that he was usually rested for cup games, mostly against piss poor teams in the earlier copa rounds, and maybe an occasional La Liga game usually against weaker opposition. Stats are an useful tool when used properly, but in this case I'd be wary of drawing far reaching conclusions.

Eddy_JukeZ

You're right, I exagerrated. He wasn't "piss-poor" overrall, but for a supposed GOAT, he was very underwhelming. He was average, and obviously I think there were several other players who performed better than Messi in 2014, including Neymar and James who are nowhere near GOAT status.
I can agree with average and he was nowhere near deserving of the golden ball back then.

Ji_Maria

Take into account that he was usually rested for cup games, mostly against piss poor teams in the earlier copa rounds, and maybe an occasional La Liga game usually against weaker opposition. Stats are an useful tool when used properly, but in this case I'd be wary of drawing far reaching conclusions.
Right, I didn't do a careful game-by-game analysis. But I do recall that when watching games in which Messi wasn't playing, how Barca was still able to dominate their opponents with almost comical ease. Same goes for when Bale had to step-in for CR7. Just shows how good those teams were.

Deleted member 101472

I hope that's either you or somebody you know. I'm generally anti-posting pictures of random people on the internet given the privacy concerns.
Like the bearded stud said, post it in the general forum, no privacy issue down there.

Alternatively, admit you’re talking out of the thing below your tailbone

Ji_Maria

Like the bearded stud said, post it in the general forum, no privacy issue down there.

Alternatively, admit you’re talking out of the thing below your tailbone
Again, I will do so if you agree to have your account banned. Those are my conditions for posting pictures of myself on the internet to a bunch of strangers. You don't see other posters running around demanding pictures, so why are you being such a knob?

As you said, you could easily screencap my picture, run a reverse image search and find out my name, address, job and other personal information. If I'm going to stick my neck out like that, I want you to suffer consequences as a result.

Deleted member 101472

Again, I will do so if you agree to have your account banned. Those are my conditions for posting pictures of myself on the internet to a bunch of strangers.
I just don’t think you’ve ever seen these players play and therefore your opinion is about as meaningful as Temuri ketsbaias take on meditation.

Why would I ban my account if you prove me right? Do you realize that it’s against this websites policy to bet?

Ji_Maria

I just don’t think you’ve ever seen these players play and therefore your opinion is about as meaningful as Temuri ketsbaias take on meditation.

Why would I ban my account if you prove me right? Do you realize that it’s against this websites policy to bet?
It's not a bet. It's you calling me out demanding that I post private information about myself on a website frequented by thousands daily. I think that's a ridiculous ask, but I'm willing to entertain for a price. There's no free lunch from me.

And by the way, your argument is ridiculous. It's akin to saying some poor guy who lives in some country who can't afford to fly to Europe to watch cub/international football has no right to opine on what they watch on the internet/tv. Might as well say we don't know crap about ManUtd unless we're a season pass holder. I've only seen United play a handful of times despite following them for over 2 decades now. I gues I don't know crap about my team? Get off your high horse.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's easily the best I've seen so I imagine he's up there with the greatest of all time.

Messi's a genius and the OPs logic is pretty woeful. Football is a team sport and international football depends on a lot of factors. Messi is usually the best footballer on the pitch, quite clearly, when he steps on the pitch, even in the Classicos. However a dysfunctional/wek team can bring down individual quality at its dispisal as we see with United in recent years or with Argentina.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This should not need to be explained but, in Basketball the sport is played 5 on 5 on a much smaller playing area. While Football is 11 on 11 on a much larger playing area. So 1 individual player can have a much bigger impact in Basketball than they could have in Football.

Deleted member 101472

It's not a bet. It's you calling me out demanding that I post private information about myself on a website frequented by thousands daily. I think that's a ridiculous ask, but I'm willing to entertain for a price. There's no free lunch from me.

And by the way, your argument is ridiculous. It's akin to saying some poor guy who lives in some country who can't afford to fly to Europe to watch cub/international football has no right to opine on what they watch on the internet/tv. Might as well say we don't know crap about ManUtd unless we're a season pass holder. I've only seen United play a handful of times despite following them for over 2 decades now. I gues I don't know crap about my team? Get off your high horse.
How many times have you seen your real team Chelsea play?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't think it makes sense to start a thread on a topic when you're so clearly biased. Piss poor. fecksake.

Ji_Maria

How many times have you seen your real team Chelsea play?
Because I lived in London, the easiest chance for me to watch CL football was Chelsea. I hated that team, I hate Stamford Bridge which is in an awful part of the city, but it afforded me the opportunity to watch CL. I never watched Chelsea in the PL unless they were playing Manchester United, but as you can imagine getting tickets is not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.