Why wouldn't players be unhappy?

crossy1686

career ending
We don't know for a fact that it was a player, do we?

It was someone "close to the team" or words to that effect, iirc.

Anyway, the narrative many fans now take as gospel truth is that we have a bunch of super lazy arseholes on our books who are pissed off at RR because he makes them run (whereas Ole let them eat chips and play with their phones).

I personally don't think it's that simple. There may be issues with some of them, perhaps even the whole group - as a group. I don't doubt that for a second. But the idea that they just aren't arsed, are opposed to working hard on general principle, happy to just collect their wages, and so forth - I don't buy that. Perhaps I'm giving them too much credit, but I don't think they take zero pride in their work.
Luke Shaw literally said we’re not all together.

Delano

Players can be unhappy, players can moan that they're not in the team and thats fine. I'd understand if they feel others who don't perform get picked ahead of them. But, conduct yourself with professionalism and do something about it.

Bitching to the press, posting cryptic tweets or conducting nonsense interviews to destabilise the club that pays you inflated wages every week for little reward is not the way you go about it. The wages are what make them unsellable, but they were all very happy to sign those contracts.

They all know where Ralf's door is, so if they're desperate to leave - tell him. I'm sure he'd be happy to see most of them go.

Jazzy2890

One thing that annoys me about a lot of the comments in this thread is that Man Utd are not a charity, the onus is not on the club to sell players, its on the buying club to actually make a suitable offer. Pogba, lingard, VDB as well as dalot, pereira and a few others were all available at some point during the summer but no one actually put in a suitable bid. There's not much the club can do when there are no buyers.

For years we've complained that we sell players for peanuts while liverpool and chelsea get ridiculous sums for fringe players, it seems now we are actually holding out for a decent price these days.

romufc

You've misunderstood the point, but i'm not sure if it's on purpose or not.
Either way, you can blame Ole but if West Ham want to pay £10m for Lingard, you can't blame the club and manager. Lingard is one example, Ole liked him but the rest?

Do you think Ole guaranteed Mata, Matic, Dalot game time? I doubt it. If they don't think they will get game time, its up to them and their agent to get a club that rates them and offer the price.

Its like Martial now, he wants to leave but why should we sell him for a cut price? anything under £40m, he can stay and rot in the reserves.

90 + 5min

Any player with standards would back himself to impress a new manager.

It's not like Martial plays a set position and we're currently playing with two up front. There's opportunities there for anyone who steps up to take them. He doesn't fancy it. He's a terrible professional and always has been. Can't be rid of him soon enough.
100% correct. Any player with some kind of character would want to impress every manager in every training and match. Fight for the fans. For the club. For them self.

Lee565

Either way, you can blame Ole but if West Ham want to pay £10m for Lingard, you can't blame the club and manager. Lingard is one example, Ole liked him but the rest?

Do you think Ole guaranteed Mata, Matic, Dalot game time? I doubt it. If they don't think they will get game time, its up to them and their agent to get a club that rates them and offer the price.

Its like Martial now, he wants to leave but why should we sell him for a cut price? anything under £40m, he can stay and rot in the reserves.
So cut our nose off to despite our own face, we have waited long enough selling in players like him whilst we could have done good business, no need to allow his stock to devalue any further, we need as much money as possible with us basically having to recruit a new midfield for next season unless you are happy with seeing mcfred as our main midfield starters for another season

romufc

So cut our nose off to despite our own face, we have waited long enough selling in players like him whilst we could have done good business, no need to allow his stock to devalue any further, we need as much money as possible with us basically having to recruit a new midfield for next season unless you are happy with seeing mcfred as our main midfield starters for another season
Its well and good saying you want to go, well then get your agent to do some work and find a club that wants you and will pay.

Clearly if he thinks he is a good player he should be worth something? Its not like United will be asking of a ground breaking price.

The biggest issue is our midfield, we are in line to make £600k a week savings on our wage bill this summer. Lingard, Mata, Pogba, Martial leaving.

We need to find 2 midfielders and have McFred as squad players. We need to sign elite midfielders who can pass a football.

Red_toad

Martial was looking to leave less than a week after the new manager came in.
Once Ronaldo arrived he knew what was about to happen. Much like when Ibra took his number. Ole gave him the chance to be the main man, then took it away as he wasn’t as good as he should have been.

Denis79

I've been unhappy at jobs I've had but feck me if I wasn't more professional about it.

UncleBob

You do understand there's no upside here. It's not like we told West Ham to feck off, and then proceeded to actually play Lingard to either increase his value or see him prove that he has value for the club. If anything, we've told West Ham to not bother as we want to keep him, Lingard thought he was going to play but he serves no purpose. 87 mins in the league, longest time on the pitch was the 24th mins against Newcastle, in september. Our end result is an unhappy player who is either way fecking off at the end of the season and the only thing we're left behind with is bad memories.

I'm not going to pretend to know what's been promised, and there's little/nothing that suggests that Mata and Matic have been interested in fecking off. Matic played just about 2000mins for us last season, it's not like that's something to be unhappy about going into the season.

It's just as much up to the club to get rid of players that don't serve a purpose.

Yes, by all means, keep highly paid players in the reserves and then complain about atmosphere at the club :lol:

redIndianDevil

Its well and good saying you want to go, well then get your agent to do some work and find a club that wants you and will pay.

Clearly if he thinks he is a good player he should be worth something? Its not like United will be asking of a ground breaking price.

The biggest issue is our midfield, we are in line to make £600k a week savings on our wage bill this summer. Lingard, Mata, Pogba, Martial leaving.

We need to find 2 midfielders and have McFred as squad players. We need to sign elite midfielders who can pass a football.
The major problem is not that other clubs aren't willing to pay the market price, they have to accommodate the wages of the players as well. It because of the wages that we get these low ball offers and whose fault is that? It's the management's. It's time we pay wages on par with the market and the player worth. Just because we are paying Pogba 300 or 400 or 500 a week doesn't mean a young or a squad option like McTominay gets 150k a week. Either stop paying these exorbitant wages to star players in the first place or negotiate market rates for other players.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Its not about being unhappy. Its blaming someone else for their failures.

Ixion

I've been unhappy at jobs I've had but feck me if I wasn't more professional about it.
Can you imagine if you didnt like your new boss so you did a half arsed job and told HR you''ll start doing your job again when the boss is gone

SER19

Van de beek aside, who hasn't earned a decent start under 2 managers, i don't think there's a single player who can claim to not have been given a chance. And struggle to think of a single player who's earned a starting position

LoneStar

You can't force players to leave though while on contracts, and often they do want to leave but nobody wants them. That's happened with the likes of Phil Jones, why would a team buy him when he's injured for 6 months a year and is on a decent wage. It's just not attractive for buyers.

It's also a feature of almost every elite club in Europe and a problem with modern football in general. The gap between the wages of the super rich and the rest is too high, that players that used to drop a level are just rotting in the reserves of teams instead of being sold, because the football ecosystem is broken.

Look at the likes of Isco, Ozil, James Rodriguez, Barkley, Mata, Bale, Ramsey, Coutinho, there's this whole subset of players that have just wasted away for years.

Part of United's problem is that they always want to sell players at the absolutely worst part of their careers, making them as unappealing as possible, usually after giving them contracts not that long ago. Sometimes you have to sell high, or just let them go completely. United very rarely sell someone high. Like United's forward line is clearly unbalanced now, so it would make sense to maybe consider selling Rashford (at least before this run of form) or Bruno Fernandes for £80 million and go in a different direction or something, but what will happen is United will wait until they're at their absolute worst reputation and then wonder why nobody wants them. Look at Martial a few years ago, you would have got £50-60m back if you sold him, but now they'd nearly ship him off for free. It's just bad recruitment and management.
I get what you are saying, and agree with it. The management need to do better at the contract handing stage, rather than when trying to sell. And need to follow a framework for wages, so that we don't end up giving massive sums to players who had a purple patch.

But if there is a toxic atmosphere created by these guys because they want to leave, while still wanting the same wages, no one can help them. In this case, the right move is to just marginalize them and not let them train with the main team. The negativity would spread through the team otherwise.

UncleBob

Van de beek aside, who hasn't earned a decent start under 2 managers, i don't think there's a single player who can claim to not have been given a chance. And struggle to think of a single player who's earned a starting position
It's a bit of a moot point, you can always argue that Beek hasn't earned anything with his performances in training+matches.

Problem is that we have a large chunk of players that would be in line to start for quite decent clubs, but aren't close to getting a sniff at Manchester United. The few minutes that Martial, Beek etc have been getting, serves no valuable purpose and both could and should've been awarded to youngsters. Just cut our losses and get rid.

romufc

The major problem is not that other clubs aren't willing to pay the market price, they have to accommodate the wages of the players as well. It because of the wages that we get these low ball offers and whose fault is that? It's the management's. It's time we pay wages on par with the market and the player worth. Just because we are paying Pogba 300 or 400 or 500 a week doesn't mean a young or a squad option like McTominay gets 150k a week. Either stop paying these exorbitant wages to star players in the first place or negotiate market rates for other players.
No I agree, the only way is to stop paying these wages. I mean paying Pogba this money hasn't helped us.

Look at Liverpool, Salah is the best player in the world at the moment and he is still on 250k and happy.

The reason we are where we are is because players get paid alot for nothing. What did Henderson do to deserve his wage?
Maguire? Shaw? Martial?

Its a problem in management for sure.

romufc

You do understand there's no upside here. It's not like we told West Ham to feck off, and then proceeded to actually play Lingard to either increase his value or see him prove that he has value for the club. If anything, we've told West Ham to not bother as we want to keep him, Lingard thought he was going to play but he serves no purpose. 87 mins in the league, longest time on the pitch was the 24th mins against Newcastle, in september. Our end result is an unhappy player who is either way fecking off at the end of the season and the only thing we're left behind with is bad memories.

I'm not going to pretend to know what's been promised, and there's little/nothing that suggests that Mata and Matic have been interested in fecking off. Matic played just about 2000mins for us last season, it's not like that's something to be unhappy about going into the season.

It's just as much up to the club to get rid of players that don't serve a purpose.

Yes, by all means, keep highly paid players in the reserves and then complain about atmosphere at the club :lol:
That doesn't also mean give player all the power. Signing Martial to a contract when he plays well is okay, but when he is playing badly and he sulks, he should deal with that.

Why should Manutd be held as hostages, except a low ball offer or I disrupt the mood.

SER19

It's a bit of a moot point, you can always argue that Beek hasn't earned anything with his performances in training+matches.

Problem is that we have a large chunk of players that would be in line to start for quite decent clubs, but aren't close to getting a sniff at Manchester United. The few minutes that Martial, Beek etc have been getting, serves no valuable purpose and both could and should've been awarded to youngsters. Just cut our losses and get rid.
Martial had several Years and yes it looks like we're finally getting rid. My point was that i don't think any player in this squad has a right to feel aggrieved about anything whatsoever, apart from maybe VDB

UncleBob

That doesn't also mean give player all the power. Signing Martial to a contract when he plays well is okay, but when he is playing badly and he sulks, he should deal with that.

Why should Manutd be held as hostages, except a low ball offer or I disrupt the mood.
Christ you do love your hyperboles. No one has said anything about giving the players all the power. It's not a sinus performance curve where the player wants to stay and where the player wants to leave, and that every time a player wants to leave the club should do it's outmost do make it happen. Martial signed for us in 2015, he's reached a point where it's best for both him as a player and us as a club that he goes somewhere else. We've signed two players that are ahead of him and he's not going to get a sniff. It's fairly logical that a professional football player isn't going to be happy about being in that situation, so when it's reached that point the club should also work towards getting rid. Instead we're in a daft circle where he's on a solid wage and not getting any minutes whatsoever to potentially increase a sales price, the situation is unlikely to improve so the club should work towards an exit.

Individual players rarely disrupt the mood, groups do.

Martial had several Years and yes it looks like we're finally getting rid. My point was that i don't think any player in this squad has a right to feel aggrieved about anything whatsoever, apart from maybe VDB
I doubt any of them care about your thoughts about their rights to feel aggrieved or not. Yes, fact is that they've been given chances, less so for Donny but up to a point, and ultimately failed, the fact they aren't key players, or even fringe players, for the club is obviously a result of their performances. That they're still at the club however, is a problem for both the club and the players. Fact is that they're professional footballers at a high enough level to be candidates to start at most clubs, and right now they're completely out of the picture. Phil Jones, with his one match, has racked up more PL minutes than Lingard and Beek have all season. This could very well be Lingards last chance of being in a England squad for a major tournament, and instead of being in line to start every weekend in the league, he's pretty much written off at Manchester United even though none of the players ahead of him are performing anywhere near the expected standards.

Instead of keeping the miserable fecker, who posts pictures of West Ham, just sod him off and give his minutes to anyone else.

Factor in that we're completely shit at the moment, and that none of our starters or bench players are anywhere near performing well enough and yeah, it's obvious why the atmosphere isn't good.

romufc

Christ you do love your hyperboles. No one has said anything about giving the players all the power. It's not a sinus performance curve where the player wants to stay and where the player wants to leave, and that every time a player wants to leave the club should do it's outmost do make it happen. Martial signed for us in 2015, he's reached a point where it's best for both him as a player and us as a club that he goes somewhere else. We've signed two players that are ahead of him and he's not going to get a sniff. It's fairly logical that a professional football player isn't going to be happy about being in that situation, so when it's reached that point the club should also work towards getting rid. Instead we're in a daft circle where he's on a solid wage and not getting any minutes whatsoever to potentially increase a sales price, the situation is unlikely to improve so the club should work towards an exit.

Oh right, so when he has a purple patch, he demands a £200k wage, but when he plays badly the club has to find solutions for him? We spent £50m on him, he is not 31 where we can just say you know what lets loan him out for 2 seasons then sell him for £10m

I totally understand he is not happy at United, he wants to play football but why is it only on Manutd to find a solution?

Players like Solanke go for 30m, Willock went for £25m. About his wage, if he really wants to play football and have minutes, take a wage cut and get a team to offer £30/40m and then I am sure we will sell him.

Why is it always on the club to find solutions for these undeserving players?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Luke Shaw literally said we’re not all together.
I thought you were referring to the "source" who claimed that players found the atmosphere at the club "oppressive".

Luke Shaw was talking about not being together on the pitch. He wasn't confirming a divide in the dressing room. Or, rather, if that's what he meant he was being both uncommonly direct and oddly roundabout at the same time.

SER19

I doubt any of them care about your thoughts about their rights to feel aggrieved or not. Yes, fact is that they've been given chances, less so for Donny but up to a point, and ultimately failed, the fact they aren't key players, or even fringe players, for the club is obviously a result of their performances. That they're still at the club however, is a problem for both the club and the players. Fact is that they're professional footballers at a high enough level to be candidates to start at most clubs, and right now they're completely out of the picture. Phil Jones, with his one match, has racked up more PL minutes than Lingard and Beek have all season. This could very well be Lingards last chance of being in a England squad for a major tournament, and instead of being in line to start every weekend in the league, he's pretty much written off at Manchester United even though none of the players ahead of him are performing anywhere near the expected standards.

Instead of keeping the miserable fecker, who posts pictures of West Ham, just sod him off and give his minutes to anyone else.

Factor in that we're completely shit at the moment, and that none of our starters or bench players are anywhere near performing well enough and yeah, it's obvious why the atmosphere isn't good.
Why would they care about what i think or why would anybody need to clarify that they don't :lol: Shut the forum down by that logic.

Maybe lingard shouldn't keep posting west ham rubbish on Instagram. The standards we expect from players have dropped massively. He came back. Was shit. And acted like a victim. We're almost certain to get rid of him now so there's nothing to complain about here.

Denis79

Can you imagine if you didnt like your new boss so you did a half arsed job and told HR you''ll start doing your job again when the boss is gone
Yeah that's exactly how the world works. Spoiled brats the lot of 'em

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
I thought you were referring to the "source" who claimed that players found the atmosphere at the club "oppressive".

Luke Shaw was talking about not being together on the pitch. He wasn't confirming a divide in the dressing room. Or, rather, if that's what he meant he was being both uncommonly direct and oddly roundabout at the same time.
I'm referring to both.

I'm not sure why you're being so contrarian on this matter. We've had a 'source' speak out about the issues at the club, and not just one paper is running the news, there's multiple, and credible one's at that. On top of that Shaw himself said we're not all together, which suggests issues on and off the pitch. You can't be not together on the pitch then be down the pub having a laugh about the time you got dispossessed against Wolves and they scored.

We do not know for sure, no one does, we don't have access to the inner workings of the club, and no one is guilty until proven so but the evidence is stacking so high right now, to say "we don't know if any of this is even true" is as close to sticking your head in the sand as it gets.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think there might be a tug of war over the captaincy. Maguire is the captain but he clearly looks out of form and doesn't have the respect of the Portuguese cadre. Ronaldo and Bruno look like they both want it and the British contingent could be wary of a power shift in the dressing room dynamics.

I think the peaceful solution might be taking the sting off it and giving it to De Gea, a true neutral.
This reads like fan fiction :lol: Not implausible mind.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We do not know for sure, no one does, we don't have access to the inner workings of the club, and no one is guilty until proven so but the evidence is stacking so high right now, to say "we don't know if any of this is even true" is as close to sticking your head in the sand as it gets.
Perhaps.

I'm not actually saying that, though. More like we don't know precisely what is true - and not. Which means - to me - that it's rather preposterous to simply assume, as many people do (not accusing you personally of this, to be clear), that x, y or z is a lazy, disruptive fecker who should be kicked out on his arse pronto.

The truth is that the primary reason why those people hold said opinion is - simply - that they don't like x, y or z and welcome another opportunity to have a go at them. It's actually hilarious to see how members on here have identified pretty much the full spectrum of our playing staff as being the main culprit(s) in this - again, based on little more than their own prejudice.