Wilfried Zaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He's done better than Jones so far in his career, imo.
He really hasn't.

Jones has put in some top level performances - at the top level. As KM pointed out, he was absolutely sensational at the start of last season. I was watching him thinking 'WOW this guy is absolutely sensational'. He went off the boil after Christmas but he looked great at right back against Clunge the other night. He also put in many excellent performances for Blackburn in the Premier League, which is why every top club except for City were in a race to sign him.

Cevno

No he hasn't. People are forgetting how fecking impressive Jones was in his three-four months. His poor performances only came after an injury he suffered.
And people are then also forgetting how impressive Chamberlain was in his best 3/4 months, especially for his age.

Maybe United fans can be excused for paying more attention to United player's best patches but that doesn't mean others haven't done well.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
People aren't forgetting anything, Ox only played 26 times for Arsenal last season whereas Jones played 40 matches. Ox was good but he really come into the fore in the second half of season. Jones on the other hand was very good at center back, excellent at right back and good in midfield(against QPR and Villa).

Ekeke

Jones dissappointed at CB but its only to be expected given he was playing all over the place and we didnt have a settled backline. Concentration issues led to some mistakes for goals we conceeded. He had a very good game in midfield and one or two others where he looked useful, and a really good run for a number of games at fullback. Then he fell into poor form.

Cevno

He looked positionally inept at Right back too. Got caught on Cl a few occasions especially.

In every game he makes 1/2 runs and does a few things that scream talented, but then he makes lousy errors and shows that his overall game is not still there. Then there is the whole issue of still figuring out his best position.

Chamberlain has played 40 games for Arsenal too and before that for Southhampton in lower leagues and showed just as much talent and a good rounded game. Both have been inconsisten but that's to be expected from young players.

Cevno

Having said that Jones by no means is a guaranteed starter for us in the future too. For all we know if he doesn't iron out his chinks he could just become another David Luiz type dodgy defender who's decent going forward.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Having said that Jones by no means is a guaranteed starter for us in the future too. For all we know if he doesn't iron out his chinks he could just become another David Luiz type dodgy defender who's decent going forward.
Who said he's a guaranteed starter?
I could say the same thing about Ox and say that he could become the next Lennon if he doesn't iron out his chinks.

ciderman9000000

Arguing about who's the better player; Chamberlain, a winger, or Jones, a defender; in a thread about Wilfried Zaha.

Meh.

Devil may care

:confused:
Why? he looks like a gifted player, we've always tried to get the best English players.
I think he looks like another Lennon or Walcott, yes he's bigger but I've not been all that impressed with him as an all round player beyond his speed when I've seen him. Surely if Nani goes we can do better and if Nani stays there's no need for him.

The Neviller

Ox

Has he really impressed you that much? I have found him to be largely disappointing every time that I have seen him. It is a classic case of 'look this player can take a man on and he is English - he is the messiah!'

He is not the messiah btw.
Nope, he's a very naughty boy.second time lucky

Gabe

No he hasn't. People are forgetting how fecking impressive Jones was in his three-four months. His poor performances only came after an injury he suffered.
Right, some patience is in order, Jones has a ton of ability, no question.

Also, you lose muscle memory after a lay off, it can take a while.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
People aren't forgetting anything, Ox only played 26 times for Arsenal last season whereas Jones played 40 matches. Ox was good but he really come into the fore in the second half of season. Jones on the other hand was very good at center back, excellent at right back and good in midfield(against QPR and Villa).
please indulge me, when?????

IrishLegend

Anyone seen a bit of Palace this season? Only seen what has been on FLS.
Yes. He has a lot more end product this season compared to last. Still very much the raw talent at the moment.

The 18m being touted for him is just nuts though. Could quite easily turn out to be another Johnson/Downing. The step up from the championship is huge especially at that age.

Devil may care

The Mirror had a United vs Arsenal story about him the other day and now claim Spurs have lodged an official bid.

Ekeke

We've always been linked, but like with Clyne its probably mostly because he played against us last year. I think Wenger has actually spoken about him

Drifter

American
Zaha - I'm ready for the Premier League

Wilfried Zaha has admitted he would take the opportunity to move to the Premier League in January.

The winger was been linked with a host of top clubs after impressing for Ian Holloway's promotion-chasing side. The 20-year-old, who made his England debut as a second-half substitute against Sweden in November, has scored five goals in 24 appearances this season.

But he has admitted he is ready to leave Selhurst Park in the upcoming January transfer window. He told the Mail on Sunday: "I've played more than 100 first-team games and this year is crucial to develop my football career."

Zaha continued: "I want to establish myself in the Premier League and in international football.

"I've played a lot in the Championship so having that new challenge in the Premier League, where everyone wants to be, would be great.

"To be honest, if I had the chance in January and Palace agreed, it's something I'd want to go for.

"I've done a lot of learning in the Championship. Now I'm ready for the Premier League."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...dy-for-the-premier-league-16255720.html?r=RSS

Castia

I haven't seen much of him but he's only ever scored 5 goals at championship level in over 100 games, I thought considering all the hype he might have contributed more than that.

Edit: scratch that he's scored 15 in all competitions since his debut.

Comsmit

Matt Lawton was arguing on Sunday Supplement that he still has a lot to prove in the Championship, never mind the Premier League. He would not get into United's first eleven full stop. He needs to prove himself at a mid range Premiership club first.

GledTheRed

Matt Lawton was arguing on Sunday Supplement that he still has a lot to prove in the Championship, never mind the Premier League. He would not get into United's first eleven full stop. He needs to prove himself at a mid range Premiership club first.
Agree with that his stats in a very decent Palace side pale to Ince's in a wank Blackpool team.

lysglimt

Scout
Personally - I am still waiting for Stoke, Fulham or some mid-table club to pick up Charlie Austin. Would be fun to see how he could manage in the P.L

RedRover

Personally - I am still waiting for Stoke, Fulham or some mid-table club to pick up Charlie Austin. Would be fun to see how he could manage in the P.L
Rumours up here he's interesting Newcastle along with a left back from Burnley (Trippier?).

Recall that Danny Wilson wanted him for Hartlepool United when he was in non-league, but the board wouldn't back him. I know he wanted him because he actually told me - was on my team on a charity golf day.

Nice one pools.

Widnes

Was just saying this the other night. Wigan would be a good stop for him imo.
but it could be possible he would be back in the Championship next year as they are in another relegation battle. We have a good record developing young players if we think he is good enough we will take him and loan him if we need to.

Drifter

American
But SAF says no new signings this window,so i can't see how our name is being linked with him.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
We are linked with everyone no matter what SAF says. Its Man Utd. Inevitably people need transfer rumors about us and the other big clubs. Thats how the papers make money.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
We are linked with everyone no matter what SAF says. Its Man Utd. Inevitably people need transfer rumors about us and the other big clubs. Thats how the papers make money.
Yep, it's also how agents leverage better deals for their clients.

Name Changed

weso26
His record isn't exactly great for a player playing at that level. I'd expect a hell of a lot more goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.