Wilfried Zaha - Sold to Crystal Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychdelicblues

27/10/2013 11:23, Report by Adam Marshall

Zaha in manager's plans

David Moyes admits that Wilfried Zaha is very much in his thoughts as he ponders team selection for Tuesday night's Capital One Cup tie against Norwich City.
Sir Alex Ferguson's last major signing has yet to make his Barclays Premier League bow despite starting the Community Shield win over Wigan Athletic at Wembley in August.
The manager is mindful of the need to give the England international some opportunities in the side and included him on the bench against Southampton recently. Despite some talk that Zaha could be loaned out in January, the winger is expected to be granted the chance to shine in a red shirt.
"I just don't think we have had the right opportunity to get him on as much as would have liked," said Moyes. "We don't want to put him in too quickly. We want to make it the right time.
"I've said I would look at in January as I wanted to have him here for six months to see how we work. I told him we would try to get him minutes but the competition in the wide areas we have with Nani, Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young, Adnan Januzaj and even Shinji Kagawa playing off the side means we are as strong there as anywhere.
"It's not that Wilf has done anything wrong, it's just that we have big competition and we have to try to make sure he gets some playing time. Unfortunately, we haven't done that with Wilf and, if it's still the case in January, we would look at it. But he is very much in my plans and in my thoughts all the time."

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Hope he starts against Norwich and puts a performance which will make him a contender to start playing in wide areas in other competitions as well ahead of some under performing wide players.

Widnes

I'd prefer to see him getting minutes ahead of Ashley Young at this stage, he is young and I think we all know he might be a little hit & miss at first but I would rather that from a young player than a senior international who just does absolutely nothing pretty much anytime he is on the pitch these days.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He has to be in the manager's plans given the way Young, Valencia, Nani and Welbeck have all been performing.

iAm20Legend

I hope gets a look in against Norwich and puts in a Januzaj performance...or well, if thats too much to expect, at least a decent one to force himself into the plans.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Unless we were to offload a winger in January I don't see how he's going to get much game time this season. We're already bring Januzaj through, plus we have to at least try and get the more experienced wide men (Nani, Valencia and even Young) into some kind of form. And then you have others like Welbeck and Kagawa who need games too. Our squad is too big at the moment. But if he's patient he will get a few chances to show what he can do, and next season we will be without Giggs and probably Young, then he'll get games. There isn't a great rush.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
If he doesn't play. He will go down as one of the worst bits of business in history. Because if he doesn't play in this game, he never will.

NM

If he doesn't play. He will go down as one of the worst bits of business in history. Because if he doesn't play in this game, he never will.

Incredibly stupid thing to say. He was bought by another manager.

Eric'sCollar

Incredibly stupid thing to say. He was bought by another manager.
I didn't know Sir Alex forked out the money for him. I thought it was the clubs money?

It won't happen but my point was, spending that much money on him for never to make an appearance. Do you think that is good business?

NM

I didn't know Sir Alex forked out the money for him. I thought it was the clubs money?

It won't happen but my point was, spending that much money on him for never to make an appearance. Do you think that is good business?

The previous manager rated him - that doesn't mean the new manager had to - that was the point I was making. You will find something similar happen almost every time there is a managerial change.

He is 20 years old and bought from the lower leagues. He probably needs time. We are already bedding in a (probably) bigger talent in Januzaj. It doesn't make sense to have two youngsters on the wing at the same time.

But go ahead, judge a youngster as a waste of money less than 6 months into his career at a club.

Eric'sCollar

The previous manager rated him - that doesn't mean the new manager had to - that was the point I was making. You will find something similar happen almost every time there is a managerial change.

He is 20 years old and bought from the lower leagues. He probably needs time. We are already bedding in a (probably) bigger talent in Januzaj. It doesn't make sense to have two youngsters on the wing at the same time.

But go ahead, judge a youngster as a waste of money less than 6 months into his career at a club.
I have had a rough start to the day but thanks for giving me a chuckle. I am judging him on his time at the club so far? :lol:

I made a hypothetical point that if he doesn't play against Norwich, he never will. And if that were the case, the club spent what 10-15million for a player never to make an appearance. Forget which manager made the signing, forget what manager is in charge and look at the money the club spent and what they got back in performance from that player. If he wasn't to feature at all for United (obviously he will but I was making a point), it would go down as one of the worst bits of business of all time.

I am in no way judging him, I rate him very highly and have been screaming out for his inclusion, so I don't see how you can say I am labelling him a waste of money.

ciderman9000000

So your point was that, if he never plays a single game, Zaha will be considered a bad purchase?

That's deep, man. Got any more nuggets of wisdom like this one?

Eric'sCollar

So your point was that, if he never plays a single game, Zaha will be considered a bad purchase?

That's deep, man. Got any more nuggets of wisdom like this one?
Well, I just mentioned it in a sentence, NM made a deal out if it, so I had to explain it when it didn't really need explaining.

Eric'sCollar

Of course he'll play sooner or later. We won't sell him without him playing you know.
Do people not understand the word hypothetical?

I said if Moyes can't find a place for him against Norwich at home in the cup, he never will.

Devil may care

Given Fergie had decided to retire last December I'm surprised we went through with the transfer in January without knowing if the new manager would actually want him.

Ole'sbodyguard

We will loan him second half of the season. Similar to Powell. Remember he's not played in the EPL at any point in his career yet and is still very raw.

JmRssll555

I think the issue with starting him against Norwich on Tuesday is that he is going to be trying incredibly hard to impress - especially given all the media talk around him not playing - and it may cause him to end up over-complicating things, not playing his natural game and performing poorly.

I would love to see him get some more game time and it's a mystery why he hasn't even had a substitute appearance so far given how good he was in pre season and in the Community Shield match.

I think he will start against Norwich though and I hope he plays a blinder and forces Moyes to consider him more seriously. I don't agree with the argument that there hasn't been sufficient opportunity to get him into the team, since Januzaj has been given opportunities and surely Zaha is ahead of him in terms of development.

Devil may care

I think the issue with starting him against Norwich on Tuesday is that he is going to be trying incredibly hard to impress - especially given all the media talk around him not playing - and it may cause him to end up over-complicating things, not playing his natural game and performing poorly.

I would love to see him get some more game time and it's a mystery why he hasn't even had a substitute appearance so far given how good he was in pre season and in the Community Shield match.

I think he will start against Norwich though and I hope he plays a blinder and forces Moyes to consider him more seriously. I don't agree with the argument that there hasn't been sufficient opportunity to get him into the team, since Januzaj has been given opportunities and surely Zaha is ahead of him in terms of development.
He's two years older than Januzaj but Januzaj just has that special player quality about him, a calmness and deftness on the ball and with awareness that is a rarity at 18, Zaha still looks raw by comparison.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
:lol:

Yup, if he doesn't play in this one game it's more than likely that he's going to rot in the reserves for the next 5 years, before retiring at the end of his contract, leaving football and buying an ice cream van, moaning to all of his customers how life would have been oh so different if only he'd played against Norwich in the League Cup all those years ago.

Eric'sCollar

:lol:

Yup, if he doesn't play in this one game it's more than likely that he's going to rot in the reserves for the next 5 years, before retiring at the end of his contract, leaving football and buying an ice cream van, moaning to all of his customers how life would have been oh so different if only he'd played against Norwich in the League Cup all those years ago.
Again, you're missing the saying. People took that way too seriously.

If Moyes can't find a place for him in this game, when will he?

Rowem

gently, down the stream

Even if he doesn't feature until next year, would hardly make him the worst signing of all time ever. He's a kid ffs.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

That's not what you said, you said that he definitely will never find another chance for him if he doesnt play against Norwich, absolutely stupid comment and the fact your are trying to clarify it makes you look more stupid

Eric'sCollar

Home to Shaktar in a CL dead rubber?
The question was rhetorical.

The point I was making for anyone of those who struggle with a common sense is that, surely Moyes will be able to get him on the pitch against Norwich. There is no plausible reason for a fit Zaha not to feature at home against Norwich in the league cup with the current form of our wide men.

Status
Not open for further replies.