Will Garnacho's goal be bettered this season?

justboy68

Nope. It's an all timer. Olise picked an unlucky month to score his great goal as it would have easily won in any other month.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Never understand why Zlatan’s one is so highly regarded. It was an open goal.
A lot of it was the cheek to try it from that distance. And it came after he had battered England already.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It was of course a very good goal, but look at the amount of space allowed. Looked like a training exercise.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
It was of course a very good goal, but look at the amount of space allowed. Looked like a training exercise.
A little unfair on Everton's defence. They're clearly set up for a cross nearer the goal and it would have been near impossible to get to the ball as they were on the back foot. It's just Garnacho is agile and quick enough to respond and the way he adjusted and got the connection to the ball the way he did is just unreal. Hell, Pickford nearly got a glove to it in the end.

They could have got out a little quicker to make the shot more difficult but to call it a training exercise is a little bit of a stretch. It's a world class goal, no two ways about it and the defence could only have done a little more to make it a harder shot. I still don't think they'd have stopped it.

Pass and Move

Arguably the best bicycle kick I’ve seen. The need to back track before hitting it is not quite as class as Rivaldo’s chest up, but the actual strike from Garnacho was sweeter.

I still prefer the RVP volley vs Villa and especially Zidane’s left foot volley as goals though.

I don’t think you can really compare team goals with solo dribble goals with great strikes so there’s no clear best goal in my opinion.

Zlatans Knee

The only thing that could challenge it would be if someone scored a goal like Kane's in the bundesliga from behind the halfway line. Even then, not sure it would be better.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What made it more special is the fact that it was converted from a poor Dalot cross. He saw the opportunity and went for it.

Von Mistelroum

No, but it won't win goal of the season, that'll go to Haaland or someone and they'll justify it by saying it was more important or a better team goal or something.

crossy1686

career ending
I doubt it but we often see players trying stuff after a goal like that happens. Remember the scorpion kick goal from Mkhitaryan? A week later Grioud scores one, someone else scores one etc. Overhead kicks are a lot harder to pull off though.

Top 5 ever

Trevor Sinclair
Bale
Garnacho
Rooney
Ronaldo

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I think they're both technically awesome but Kasami goal is more unique and a bit more technically difficult to pull off. It's pretty much a perfect goal.
It's definitely not more difficult to pull off. Many players have scored chested volleys so not sure how it is unique either. Garnacho's is better.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's definitely not more difficult to pull off. Many players have scored chested volleys so not sure how it is unique either. Garnacho's is better.
Players score bicycle kicks/overhead kicks mutliple times a season. I don't recall another goal taken in the same way as the one above where a player is constantly running while they chest and volley it.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I feel like perhaps this isn't borne out by the evidence and it's one for the weird feelings of football thread but I'm fully expecting someone else to do an overhead similar in the CL or next weekend. These things tend to repeat like the scorpion goals did.

tomaldinho1

It's more that the cross was so bad, rather than there being lots of space. You'd happily let teams try and shoot in that situation and 99 times out of 100 it won't even be on target.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Players score bicycle kicks/overhead kicks mutliple times a season. I don't recall another goal taken in the same way as the one above where a player is constantly running while they chest and volley it.
Here's one from the Danish league:

I feel like I've seen a number of these van Basten-esque goals.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Here's one from the Danish league:

I feel like I've seen a number of these van Basten-esque goals.
Similar but not the same. The Kasami one is one fluid goal from start to finish and in the one above the player is slowing down from the chest to the volley.

I like the Garnacho goal, it was exceptional, but the Kasami goal is just aesthetically so pleasing to me.

Yakuza_devils

I think they're both technically awesome but Kasami goal is more unique and a bit more technically difficult to pull off. It's pretty much a perfect goal.
No, just no. Not even close. Football experts and pundits were shocked by Garnacho's goal. His goal made headline around the globe. His goal will be remembered for decades to come.

I don't even heard of Kasami's goal until your post here.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No, just no. Not even close. Football experts and pundits were shocked by Garnacho's goal. His goal made headline around the globe. His goal will be remembered for decades to come.

I don't even heard of Kasami's goal until your post here.
Says more about you than the goal. It's widely regarded as one of the best goals ever scored in the PL and was Puskas nominated. I imagine the Garnacho goal will also.

Yakuza_devils

Says more about you than the goal. It's widely regarded as one of the best goals ever scored in the PL and was Puskas nominated. I imagine the Garnacho goal will also.
Puskas nominated? Garnacho's will be there at the very least and probably will win it comfortably. The goals will be replayed for the next decade as one of the best ever goal. It's already one of the most famous goal ever now andbis the main conversation around the world football now. Many still in shock that it was possible to score that overhead kick goal.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Puskas nominated? Garnacho's will be there at the very least and probably will win it comfortably. The goals will be replayed for the next decade as one of the best ever goal. It's already one of the most famous goal ever now andbis the main conversation around the world football now. Many still in shock that it was possible to score that overhead kick goal.
I think you're going a bit too over the top here...

Chipper

Adulterer.
I love the Kasami goal too, but I don't really blame people for not having seen it before. A lot of it's the media but what happens during a Monday night match between Palace and Fulham on a Champions League week in October just isn't going to have a lot of eyes on it.

If it's on the weekend, if a player from a bigger team scores it, if it's important in the context of the season etc. then it gets much more attention.

Wilshere (big team, scored at the weekend) won PL goal of the season that year. A very different goal mind you, insane teamwork goal from memory.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I love the Kasami goal too, but I don't really blame people for not having seen it before. A lot of it's the media but what happens during a Monday night match between Palace and Fulham on a Champions League week in October just isn't going to have a lot of eyes on it.

If it's on the weekend, if a player from a bigger team scores it, if it's important in the context of the season etc. then it gets much more attention.

Wilshere (big team, scored at the weekend) won PL goal of the season that year. A very different goal mind you, insane teamwork goal from memory.
My point was more that just because you haven't heard of it, it shouldn't be dismissed.

Indeed, we are comparing different goals (with the Wilshere one) In terms of individual goals, I like the Kasami one more than Garnacho because every aspect is perfect - the run, the chest control and the volley - and it's all at full speed.

Then in terms of other bicycle kicks I think the Bale one is better because of the magnitude of the occasion.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's a beautiful goal too, but it's pretty obvious that anyone having played football ever will know that Garnacho's is quite a bit more difficult, and is the better goal.

Fine for you to prefer the other one for your own reasons. It's not more technically difficult, though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's a beautiful goal too, but it's pretty obvious that anyone having played football ever will know that Garnacho's is quite a bit more difficult, and is the better goal.

Fine for you to prefer the other one for your own reasons. It's not more technically difficult, though.
Ah, the old people who have played football argument. :)

I disagree, the Kasami goal is at full speed and requires perfect chest control, running onto the controlled ball and then a perfect volley at a ridiculous angle to score. It's also on his weaker foot.

Both great goals, I just prefer and think the other is technically more difficult. I'm sure many people on here have scored a bicycle kick before. I'd be surprised if anyone scored one like Kasami.