Will Haaland and Mbappe reach the same level as Ronaldo and Messi?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Disclaimer: This is not a thread about Messi vs. Ronaldo

Mbappe and Haaland are now the youngest players to reach 25 CL goals, and 20 CL goals. But will they reach the same performance levels as the two modern day legends? How do people predict they will they fare in comparison over the years?

I don't think the natural talent is at the same level, but physically they are maybe even ahead at this stage of their careers.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Disclaimer: This is not a thread about Messi vs. Ronaldo

Mbappe and Haaland are now the youngest players to reach 25 CL goals, and 20 CL goals. But will they reach the same performance levels as the two modern day legends? How do people predict they will they fare in comparison over the years?

I don't think the natural talent is at the same level, but physically they are maybe even ahead at this stage of their careers.
One step ahead of you champ:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/haaland-vs-mbappe-heirs-apparent.460938/

cyberman

Mbappe is severely overrated. Haalands rival will be whoever goes on a Salah / Bruno type run as they mature.
Kane v Haaland could be an interesting one

A-man

If the continue to develop every year for the next 10 years, yes.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mbappe is severely overrated. Haalands rival will be whoever goes on a Salah / Bruno type run as they mature.
Bizarre take. Mbappe has 25 goals and 17 assists in 41 CL matches.

Zen

Well at 22 - Ronaldo delivered the 06/07 season, and Messi the 08/09. Mbappe hasn't matched either.

They'll likely be better than Neymar who I mostly used the above and similar age comparisons for to drop any expectations for too, but just, generally, slim chance for me.

Yes, some players get a faster start, but the level at which those 2 improves when hitting the early 20's was something else.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Well at 22 - Ronaldo delivered the 06/07 season, and Messi the 08/09. Mbappe hasn't matched either.

They'll likely be better than Neymar who I mostly used the above and similar age comparisons for to drop any expectations for too, but just, generally, slim chance for me.

Yes, some players get a faster start, but the level at which those 2 improves when hitting the early 20's was something else.
Huh, what do you mean? Mbappe is a World Cup winner and already has league titles with 2 different clubs. Winning with Monaco especially was a notable achievement. How has he not achieved what CR did in 06/07 when he scored 17 league goals? I guess you could say Messi was a step ahead in the club game with the CL win and sextuple in 09.

Zen

Huh, what do you mean? Mbappe is a World Cup winner and already has league titles with 2 different clubs. Winning with Monaco especially was a notable achievement. How has he not achieved what CR did in 06/07 when he scored 17 league goals? I guess you could say Messi was a step ahead in the club game with the CL win and sextuple in 09.
Because for many, Ronaldo had become the best in the world that season, he was absolutely superb, Kaka being immense in the final few CL games aside. 17 goals doesn't tell a whole story, plenty have his 06/07 over his 07/08 season.... I don't think Mbappe has had a season like that, obviously he's gonna rack up the stats in the league he's in, that's trivial.... he's had the better individual performances.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Goal-wise? Absolutely possible, especially for Haaland.
All-round play? I doubt it, especially in the case of Messi, i find it hard to believe there ever will be a player like him again.

cyberman

Bizarre take. Mbappe has 25 goals and 17 assists in 41 CL matches.
Almost all in group stages. Which is weird.
Theres more to be the heir to Messi and Ronaldo than that. Id put Sancho up against Mbappe never mind Haaland.
Im not saying Mbappe is a bad player, i just don't think hes that player

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Haaland and Mbappe will be great players in their own rights. I expect them to become as good as the likes of Henry, Suarez, Eto'o etc.

But Ronaldo & Messi are in another stratosphere and they showed that from an early age. Mbappe, while a good goalscorer and decisive player, doesn't have Ronaldo's control of the ball that he showed in 2006/07.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes, they’ll overtake the overlords

Zen

Almost all in group stages. Which is weird.
Theres more to be the heir to Messi and Ronaldo than that. Id put Sancho up against Mbappe never mind Haaland.
Im not saying Mbappe is a bad player, i just don't think hes that player
11 of 25 = "Almost all" ..... ?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Maybe in terms of output but I'm not sure we'll ever see a player as technically gifted as Messi again, not for a long time at least.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Mbappe is the better footballer but I think Håaland can break all sorts of scoring records. But you never know, they both or either could fall off, in fact that happens more often than not, 2 decades of dominance M & R have had is pretty much unprecedented and doubt these 2 can match it.

cyberman

11 of 25 = "Almost all" ..... ?
Not far off! 4 of them have come in the last 2 weeks against a poor Barca side.
Look, again in not saying hes a bad player but even now is he above Salah, Kane etc? Where is this sudden improvement going to come from that takes him above their level and onto Haaland as the next big rivalry?
He has 34 goal contributions this season, Rashford has 30. Now how fantastic does his all around game have to be that he is far above Rashford so he is a rival for Haaland...and his all around game isnt a strength of his.
Just because Messi and Ronaldo were rivals doesnt mean Haaland will get one as well. Imo he will be well clear but his rivals will differ from season to season.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Because for many, Ronaldo had become the best in the world that season, he was absolutely superb, Kaka being immense in the final few CL games aside. 17 goals doesn't tell a whole story, plenty have his 06/07 over his 07/08 season.... I don't think Mbappe has had a season like that, obviously he's gonna rack up the stats in the league he's in, that's trivial.... he's had the better individual performances.
Plenty have a season where he scored 23 total goals over a season where he scored 42 and won the league, the champions league and the Ballon D’Or? Not me

Mbappe has achieved pretty much everything the two giants did by 22. But I don’t think he will be as good a player as them when it’s all said and done

Zen

I’m pretty certain he had 23 assists in 06/07 too.... a number that tremendously decreased in 07/08 as he shifted towards the main threat.

The CL, yeah, sure I dunno... it’s not an individual sport and Man Utd got battered by defensive injuries in the Milan, bad luck that didn’t happen the next year.... y’know, fine margins ... which shouldn’t change an individuals season.

Was it better? Who really cares.... but I’d Ronaldo 06-08 over Mbappe 2018-21 then... is that better? Just like I’d take Messi 07-09 over him. Vaguely similar ages.... Mbappe was better at 18(Monaco run) probably..

Mr.Kaya

In terms of goalscoring/impact I think they do stand a chance yea. Wether they'll win as many CLs and Ballon D'ors as Ronaldo and Messi have done, is a different story. None of them are as technical good as Ronaldo and Messi has been for so long and will probably never be, but theyre both generational talents. You can already see it this season that theyre slowly taking over for the two big kings in terms of goals and impact. I think Haaland specially has set his eyes on that CL record Ronaldo is holding and you can see his hunger and drive for goals. I do wonder what club Haaland would leave Dortmund for though, it would have to be a CL contender like Bayern I'd think. When that said, hes a player that can make several clubs CL-contenders, that how good he is :lol: Imagine Dortmund without him this season. Now theyre in the quarterfinals in the CL and are the underdogs. Gonna be really exciting to see which of PSG and Dortmund will go the furthest in the CL this season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No chance.
This is where I'm at, no way either are still producing the numbers Messi and Ronaldo are at their age. In the shorter term though yes obviously these two will be the two

tomaldinho1

If Haaland never moved clubs I think Kane/Haaland comparison would be very interesting. Issue is Haaland will move to a truly elite team and, if he chooses right, is going to win everything multiple times over.

Mr.Kaya

This is where I'm at, no way either are still producing the numbers Messi and Ronaldo are at their age. In the shorter term though yes obviously these two will be the two
Question is though: Can they, or one of them, have a higher peak than Messi and Ronaldo had? And how long can they keep it going for? Because its definetly hard to be that consistent for that long like Messi and Ronaldo have done. It's just out of this world. I guess time will tell, I'm sure we'll enjoy both players for many many years to come nonetheless :drool: (As long as none of them happens to go to a rival club of ours, I forgot to add :lol::lol:)

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I’m pretty certain he had 23 assists in 06/07 too.... a number that tremendously decreased in 07/08 as he shifted towards the main threat.

The CL, yeah, sure I dunno... it’s not an individual sport and Man Utd got battered by defensive injuries in the Milan, bad luck that didn’t happen the next year.... y’know, fine margins ... which shouldn’t change an individuals season.

Was it better? Who really cares.... but I’d Ronaldo 06-08 over Mbappe 2018-21 then... is that better? Just like I’d take Messi 07-09 over him. Vaguely similar ages.... Mbappe was better at 18(Monaco run) probably..
He only had 8 assists in the league so I’m not sure how you get the figure of 23, even if you mean all comps. Rooney and Berba had more and Rooney had the same amount of total goals I think.

A fairer comparison would be Ronaldo 06-08 v Mbappe 20-22 cos that’s the same sort of age. Obviously we’ve yet to see what Mbappe will do this season and next (and where he will go)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No. Mbappe will be the best in the world though, while Haaland will be like Lewandowski and probably the best goalscorer around. Ronaldo and Messi were just the 2 of the best all time and as a result ended up scoring at ridiculous rates as they were so much better than the rest.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Haaland : will probably reach Zlatan peak level or surpass it but not quite Ronaldo/Messi
Mbappe : Above Hazard but not quite Ronaldo/Messi

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Haaland : will probably reach Zlatan peak level or surpass it but not quite Ronaldo/Messi
Mbappe : Above Hazard but not quite Ronaldo/Messi
Good answer. My guess would be something like this also.
Nothing wrong with not reaching messi/CR7 levels though. Theyre freaks

RUCK4444

If Haaland never moved clubs I think Kane/Haaland comparison would be very interesting. Issue is Haaland will move to a truly elite team and, if he chooses right, is going to win everything multiple times over.
Which is exactly what Kane should have done. I’m still absolutely in disbelief he signed that renewal and signed over his peak to Spurs.

tomaldinho1

Which is exactly what Kane should have done. I’m still absolutely in disbelief he signed that renewal and signed over his peak to Spurs.
Exactly - although that is us speaking as fans. He does love Spurs and so maybe he genuinely just wants to stay there for his whole career.

Eddy_JukeZ

No shot.

Messi just has way more natural talent than Haaland or Mbappe.

Maybe Haaland and Mbappe can match them in terms of production(I doubt that too though), but I highly doubt their longevity will be as high.

MrEleson

Seeing how Mbappe was neutralised by Barca’s makeshift defence today emphasised to me that while he’s still a lethal player, he’s definitely nowhere near Messi & CR7 at a similar age. He’s not as nuanced or effective in tight spaces and his game is more reliant on pace. They were both better dribblers and more creative.

RealBarcelonaUnited

Don't think we are going to see anyone matching the two freak's level. For me Mbappe and Haaland will be the best of their generation, but whether they can match the longevity of the GOATs is another question. New Owen and Lewandowski perhaps?

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Messi's technical mastery of the ball, is a level above Mbappe and Haaland, combine that with his productivity. Haaland and Mbappe may reach his productivity(although 91 goals in a year and 73 goals+33assists in a season, is absolutely ridiculous to attain), but his mastery of the ball, nah they can't. Cristiano couldn't, who in prime was better than both Haaland and Mbappe, they can't either.

monosierra

Its sheer longetivity and consistency across more than a decade that truly distinguishes Ronaldo and Messi at their (long) peaks. Let's see if Haaland and Mbappe are still in contention for the best player in the world in 2031.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe in terms of output but I'm not sure we'll ever see a player as technically gifted as Messi again, not for a long time at least.
Exactly, Neymar was the closest and he was also level or 2 below Messi.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No

And football is about much more than goals. I'm sure Mbappe and Haaland can hit huge numbers but they simply have nowhere near the talent to influence football games like Messi does for example. He's not a once in 10 year talent or something. It'll be awhile till we see someone of his calibre. And Ronaldo, people forget, was pre 30s, much more of a dribbling forward. You watch his peformances for us and early ones at Madrid and I don't believe the new lot can match his technical ability. People are far too dependent on goals and assists to form their arguments these days. Nobody considers Gerd Muller in the absolute greatest players ever for a reason.