Will Jose be sacked if he is going to do LVG 2015-16 and finish outside top 4?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If I was in charge, he’d be gone this evening.

I’m impulsive like that but between his terrible attitude over the last month and inability to get the players motivated, I’m no longer looking forward to the next match day and see little hope for the rest of the season.

Bojan11

Yeah but this lot finished fifth and won the FA Cup two years ago. If we don't make the top four again, that means Mourinho can't get more out of these players - plus the players he signed! - than Van Gaal did. And in that case there's not much point in keeping him, might as well take a chance with someone else who might get more out of the existing squad or sign better players.

Of course we're still third and look okay for top four so this is all hypothetical.
That was two years ago.

Chelsea, Liverpool and City have improved massively since then too. If Van Gaal was in charge with this attack we wouldn’t finish 5th.

Tyinde

If he excuses this draw only because of that hand ball. Yes, he must go.

soapythecat

I wonder if there is anything in his contract as such? Either way, he should given the spend he got and saying he got almost all his prime targets.
Downside is then another manager in to give all the dross another chance. We are on a slippery slope that needs stability and a new squad.

JG3001

At some point though the players have to take responsibility. The likes of Rashford, Martial, Mkhitaryan etc are just not good enough and that will stay the same regardless of manager.
Partially agree, but good managers get the best out of average players, Mourinho certainly does not come anywhere close to achieving that effect. In fact I’d argue he’s doing the opposite atm.

manunited1919

How many ABUs in this thread?
I can’t believe some “fans” already have their knives out against Mourinho.

paul cooper

Supports
newport co
With the money spent he should be.
thats what i said in another thread plus do utd let him spend another 100/200m again? he`s half way through his contract and were no way nearer winning the leauge than under LVG

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Mourinho also doesn't really have a record of doing well long term. Tbh, he'll finish in top four easily anyway, so this thread is way too drastic.

As for this defeatist stuff about who to hire if he's sacked though, I'll say the same thing I say to Arsenal fans who can't think of life without Wenger. You are Manchester United, just like we are the Arsenal. Pep aside (And for us, Mourinho and Pep aside), there's not a single manager we can't convince to join us. Managers are hardly on some huge pay, you can double the pay of the highest paid manager, and still be paying less than the 300k a week Rooney was on.
True enough. My main concern is who would be a good fit? It’s the same feeling I have with Arsenal - who could instantly come in and make a positive impact? Obviously an instant impact shouldn’t be needed but nowadays fans have zero patience. Every name I can think of has an inkling of doubt attached to it.

After going through managers every couple of years I’d like the club to stick with someone through a full rebuild. If the team’s form picks up in the new year then it would show that Mourinho is the right person to support, but right now he’s in a slump. Which is a shame because when he’s on fire he’s immense and to lose that would be a crime.

Water Melon

He will leave. Players look knackered already. Drop points at Goodison and it will get really ugly. No cohesion, no team play, no energy, no positivity, no smiles. Grumpy gloomy faces.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Even if we finish inside the top 4 he should be sacked as this football is just awful. If we get a manager who has a clue about playing attacking football (Pochettino, Sarri, Hasenhuttl, Jardim), coupled with the generous budget (despite José's stupid claims) and already decent squad, we still might now win the title but we'd at least play some good stuff and be there or thereabouts.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Even if we finish inside the top 4 he should be sacked as this football is just awful. If we get a manager who has a clue about playing attacking football (Pochettino, Sarri, Hasenhuttl, Jardim), coupled with the generous budget (despite José's stupid claims) and already decent squad, we still might now win the title but we'd at least play some good stuff and be there or thereabouts.
If we finish top 4 then he will definitely stay imo. Unless its one of those things where we inadvertently back into 4th on the final Sunday.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Bar a few games I've been bored watching United for a long time, it shouldn't be boring watching United, yeah sometimes you have to win ugly (let's face it we're not even winning when we play ugly) but his inability to play attacking football is really taking its toll on me and probably most of the supporters watching, you don't have to be a Pep to play attacking football.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If we finish top 4 then he will definitely stay imo. Unless its one of those things where we inadvertently back into 4th on the final Sunday.
I'm not going to argue with those who would be in favour of keeping him on if we do finish inside the top 4 because I can see why they'd be of that opinion, but, after 18 or so months, with hundreds of millions of pounds spent, with one of the finest training facilities in the world, I just don't find this football acceptable no matter where we finish.

Unmutual

You put up with Mourinhos nonsense for the success he brings, but if it stops coming...

C3Pique

There is only one direction for this club from here. Once he starts setting fires there's no putting them out.

The game plans, the signings, the scouting, the man management. Very little of it looks great right now.

aditya826

He shouldn't be if we come 6th to be honest.
But if City wins the title, and Liverpool or City come close to winning CL, then the pressure will be too much on the entire club to take an action.

Donnie Brasco

Like I said earlier he should leave for his own good. He should of left after disaster of a transfer window in the summer. The first Man utd manager in history to win not one but TWO trophies in his first season and also taking the club back in to the Champions league and what did we get in as attacking options?
Nobody, Lukaku just replaced Ibra and he was denied Perisic.
All the clubs that finished ahead of us strengthened their attacking options in the summer, besides us that rely on a nr 10 as a wide forward and two overhyped kids.
It doesn't matter because nothing will change even after he leaves, the Glazers and our board will continue this act as long as they can.

deafepl

it is worrying that Martin Keown said it look like the Man Utd players aren't performing for Jose Mourinho.

sdb4884

Let’s face it if that does happen it’s two seasons out of the top 4 so yes absolutely he should be sacked. You’d think Simeone would be a viable option.

Dosse

Calm down. Sack José and bring in who? Dont care what amount the man needs to get me a winning team. I think he is the man and should be given time and even more money. Welcome to being United 2017/2018 in the transfer market.

C3Pique

Like I said earlier he should leave for his own good. He should of left after disaster of a transfer window in the summer. The first Man utd manager in history to win not one but TWO trophies in his first season and also taking the club back in to the Champions league and what did we get in as attacking options?
Nobody, Lukaku just replaced Ibra and he was denied Perisic.
All the clubs that finished ahead of us strengthened their attacking options in the summer, besides us that rely on a nr 10 as a wide forward and two overhyped kids.
It doesn't matter because nothing will change even after he leaves, the Glazers and our board will continue this act as long as they can.
Perhaps he shouldn't have spunked £100m on Lukaku and Lindelof in that case.

Martial would be fine at 9 with service from £100m worth of wingers. How much was Salah again?

Rajma

Yes.

However I can't see us finishing outside top 4 at all, so calm the feck down.
With Tottenham and Liverpool gaining ground on us and both clubs looking good at the moment I amused that you can't possibly see us dropping out.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He should be sacked. From going 2nd in the table to not finishing the top 4 is inconceivable at this point, considering the money he spent. He also said we would be challenging for the league, so he'll be falling on his own sword.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I'm not going to argue with those who would be in favour of keeping him on if we do finish inside the top 4 because I can see why they'd be of that opinion, but, after 18 or so months, with hundreds of millions of pounds spent, with one of the finest training facilities in the world, I just don't find this football acceptable no matter where we finish.
Good for us that call isn't dependent on whether you find the football acceptable or not.

Can't continue to rebuild every summer forever, 3 draws and knives our out but not long before that even the most stubborn of fans would accept that this season is an improvement over the last and miles better than the crap we were served under likes of van Gaal and Moyes. Mourinho is not everyone's cup of tea but we should stick with him as long as we improve year on year, even though those improvements might not be as much as the fans expect the board should be more patient. We finished quite off the pace of 4th placed team last year, provided we get some reinforcements in January we should be able to consolidate Top 3. We're going under a bad patch, clubs behind us are in good form but they've also had theirs that's why they are behind us. Just like them we'll snap out of it. As long as he gets us into CL places and shows some competitiveness in KO stages of CL we should give him a 3rd year. Next year we should again see if we improve the points tally from this season and re-assess again.

Hiring a new manager is worst thing we can do right about now, he's bought a lot of players tailored to his style. A new coach with a fresh philosophy might nor warm to his signings we'll be back to square one.

el3mel

With Tottenham and Liverpool gaining ground on us and both clubs looking good at the moment I amused that you can't possibly see us dropping out.
Because I can't see us performing that terrible for the remaining 17-18 games in the league. We're having a terrible period at the moment, but I'm sure sooner or later our performance will rise and we'll return to winning track.

redNATION

it is worrying that Martin Keown said it look like the Man Utd players aren't performing for Jose Mourinho.
Said this in another thread - Jose's defining trait through his career has been getting players to run through brick walls for him, even average players, so you know something is up when the players dont even look like they are trying. It's one thing for the players to try hard, but fall short, which can happen, but there's too much quality in that team for us to draw three average teams in a row and lose to Bristol. I really think his comments about players being 'childish' and not trying (against Bristol) have stung some of the players, and we're now seeing a Chelsea-style break down in relationships.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Good for us that call isn't dependent on whether you find the football acceptable or not.

Can't continue to rebuild every summer forever, 3 draws and knives our out but not long before that even the most stubborn of fans would accept that this season is an improvement over the last and miles better than the crap we were served under likes of van Gaal and Moyes. Mourinho is not everyone's cup of tea but we should stick with him as long as we improve year on year, even though those improvements might not be as much as the fans expect the board should be more patient. We finished quite off the pace of 4th placed team last year, provided we get some reinforcements in January we should be able to consolidate Top 3. We're going under a bad patch, clubs behind us are in good form but they've also had theirs that's why they are behind us. Just like them we'll snap out of it. As long as he gets us into CL places and shows some competitiveness in KO stages of CL we should give him a 3rd year. Next year we should again see if we improve the points tally from this season and re-assess again.

Hiring a new manager is worst thing we can do right about now, he's bought a lot of players tailored to his style. A new coach with a fresh philosophy might nor warm to his signings we'll be back to square one.
We're no different to other clubs. We don't need to keep a manager on just because it's only been a year and a half. Sometimes that's all you need to see that the man isn't up to the job.

Madrid and Chelsea survived after him and, rather than just surviving, I think we'd flourish from getting rid.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He might but it depends. I think LvG had lost the dressing room which is pretty much a death sentence no matter how the team is doing. Also when LvG was fired José was available.

Rajma

Because I can't see us performing that terrible for the remaining 17-18 games in the league. We're having a terrible period at the moment, but I'm sure sooner or later our performance will rise and we'll return to winning track.
Unless we sign one or two players I personally see it going south pretty quickly, since the signs were there long beforehand and we're yet prove during Jose reign that we can bounce back from the setbacks.

Walters_19_MuFc

He should be, yes.

This is his second season now. We got a Champoions League spot, via Europa League, not league position.

It's Jose's second season now. He needs to be showing progression, and to be fair to him, he has so far. Come the end of the season, though, top four is a must.

el3mel

Unless we sign one or two players I personally see it going south pretty quickly, since the signs were there long beforehand and we're yet prove during Jose reign that we can bounce back from setbacks.
Agree that it'll be criminal from both Mourinho and Ed if we didn't sign any attacking player in Jan, but I think we still have enough to secure 3rd at least. Our good start has provided us with some ground in top 4 fortunately.

What become brutally clear is we're not a title challenging time. Lot's of things need to be improved before we can think of that.

Westerkerk

Whether we finish in the top 4 or not, or below third as some have suggested as the trigger, is not the only variable.

We simply cannot allow his mood swings to infect this club permanently. This is classic Jose. He is in "failing" mode at the moment and it's rubbing off on our performances.

He's been slipping into this mode since he didn't get Perisic if you ask me, his refusal to play Shaw has been in part in because he wanted Perisic to play as a wing back, and the board wouldn't put up the dough because we already had Shaw on the books. It's always tit for tat with him, he's a man child and always has been.

Fooza

Can you imagine if Mourinho goes.

Everyone in two- three years time will say give the new manager time when we play bad because of the players inherited from Mourinho, Lvg and Moyes...

This shite will never end. Sad times.