Will Jose be sacked if he is going to do LVG 2015-16 and finish outside top 4?

Kapardin

Not sure how you found that as interesting or any great article. Changes are already made behind the scenes and Jose's performance has nothing to do with vision of the club or how the structure is in place. He has got all the players he wanted, at least reported as wanted. Only player he didn't get was Perisic.

All these clueless journalists having a go at Woodward are pathetic. He isn't a DoF, he won't select which players should be signed. He is just a money man who will sign the players identified by manager. Hopefully that will change in the future but as of today only person responsible for Jose's performance is Jose.
Woodward is also not making the funds available for the manager to make, say, 5 signings in the summer. He couldn't even get 4 last summer and now the noise is we aren't signing anyone in January.

The target of 4 players per summer is more likely due to budget constraints more than Jose's lack of desire to replace FBs, mediocre backup midfielders and inconsistent wingers. Why else would he talk about PSG and lack of sending otherwise.

It is not Ed's fault perhaps because he gets his orders from the Glazers. We bought badly and have some average players on high wages, and as long as the Glazers believe we can scrape 4th, they won't allow investment in the squad. Even if we drop out of top 4, the Adidas deal is not in danger for one more season.

Last edited:

Empathy 2020

Supports
Most
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ourinhos-enemy.html?__twitter_impression=true

Great article. The true malaise is the Glazers.

Sacking Jose is ridiculous. He is not clueless like LvG. Whoever we bring in, I guarantee that he will also struggle with the current group of players as no doubt our thrifty board won't allow more than 2 signings.

But in February 2017. Jose said he wanted 2-3 players to take the club to the next level.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...griezmann-next-big-push-efl-cup-a7602126.html

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Woodward is also not making the funds available for the manager to make, say, 5 signings in the summer. He couldn't even get 4 last summer and now the noise is we aren't signing anyone in January.

The target of 4 players per summer is more likely due to budget constraints more than Jose's lack of desire to replace FBs, mediocre backup midfielders and inconsistent wingers. Why else would he talk about PSG and lack of soending otherwise.

It is not Ed's fault perhaps because he gets his orders from the Glazers. We bought badly and have some average players on high wages, and as long as the Glazers believe we can scrape 4th, they won't allow investment in the squad. Even if we drop out of top 4, the Adidas deal is not in danger for one more season.
Oh poor Jose can't get everyone he wants? That's the reason why we couldn't beat Burnely and Southampton who have probably 1/4th of our budget and wages?

Jose said he wants 4 players last season, he got all the 4 players. This season he said he wanted 4 players, he got 3. So not sure why you are saying we should have signed 5 when manager himself wanted 4.

He has signed 7 players then had players like De Gea, Valencia, Jones, Shaw, Martial and others. After the investement made in the last 3-4 years don't think anyone can blame owners for not spending, they have spent shit loads and always second highest in the league and probably top 3 in Europe.

Axkiko

I don’t want him to be sacked. I want PSG pay a big fee to get him after this season, no matter we are top four or not.

He will get the unlimited budget he always complains, then we can move on from his negative approach and go get Poch.

Kapardin

Oh poor Jose can't get everyone he wants? That's the reason why we couldn't beat Burnely and Southampton who have probably 1/4th of our budget and wages?

Jose said he wants 4 players last season, he got all the 4 players. This season he said he wanted 4 players, he got 3. So not sure why you are saying we should have signed 5 when manager himself wanted 4.

He has signed 7 players then had players like De Gea, Valencia, Jones, Shaw, Martial and others. After the investement made in the last 3-4 years don't think anyone can blame owners for not spending, they have spent shit loads and always second highest in the league and probably top 3 in Europe.
We are the 6th best team in the league. A team in 5-6th place in terms of quality has a load of average players for whom inconsistency is the mantra. While top teams would be beating Leicester and Southampton consistently, a 6th placed team with an attack that has been appalling for 2 seasons will likely be inconsistent in beating the lesser teams as well. So while we did manage to beat Southampton away and Leicester at home, we drew in the reverse fixtures.

So I believe our attack is functioning at their true level - average and inconsistent with purple patches. Singling out draws against these teams is just hyperbole. Look at the full picture.

If Jose got all he wanted, why is he still moaning about spending and why did he talk about PSG? You can say he is being unfair in demanding more if you want, but that is not relevant - the relevance is, he clearly wants more and he is not getting that.

De Gea is a GK and the likes of Valencia and Shaw are not even good enough. Is this supposed to be an indication of quality? Martial has not done nearly enough for his fanboys to put him on a pedestal.

Jose is at fault. But the problems run deeper. If we sack him, the same crowd will be calling for the next manager's head in 2 years if this core of players remain.

Last edited:

ijc

Worst case scenario, the team has gone downhill and he does nt really have a good history when it comes to turning things around after a series of bad results. I can easily imagine this season could be like his 3rd seasons elsewhere...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We are the 6th best team in the league. A team in 5-6th place in terms of quality has a load of average players for whom inconsistency is the mantra. While top teams would be beating Leicester and Southampton consistently, a 6th placed team with an attack that has been appalling for 2 seasons will likely be inconsistent in beating the lesser teams as well. So while we did manage to beat Southampton away and Leicester at home, we drew in the reverse fixtures.

So I believe our attack is functioning at their true level - average and inconsistent with purple patches. Singling out draws against these teams is just hyperbole. Look at the full picture.

De Gea is a GK and the likes of Valencia and Shaw are not even good enough. Is this supposed to be an indication of quality?
We have to agree to disagree. Our attack is average because of Jose and his methods. He should take responsibility for coaching too. Our game plan is very static and looks devoid of any ideas. Only game play is go to byline and cross the ball.

Yakuza_devils

Top 4 or not, if the playing style doesn't improve by end of the season, I think he should go. Last year I really thought Jose will improve us drastically this season. Our tactics are so dire to watch compared to the way City, Chelsea, Pool, Spurs and Arsenal play.

We have to admit that City and Pool are playing the most exciting system. If Kloop had the money like Pep to address Pool's defensive problem they can go very far.

LoneStar

Despite our recent slump in form, I think we'll make it in the top 4 come end of the season. But the way the players are playing right now is a bit concerning. They don't seem to care wether they win or lose.

For me, unless he wins the CL, he has to be sacked if we don't make it to the top 4. A title challenge would have been a realistic expectation at the start of the season, but top 4 is the absolute minimum.

Kapardin

But in February 2017. Jose said he wanted 2-3 players to take the club to the next level.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...griezmann-next-big-push-efl-cup-a7602126.html
Because he knew he would only get that much.

Or, he made a mistake in assessing the squad and now realizes he fecked up. Never said Jose was blameless, but as a rich club, the least we can do is allow him a chance to rectify his mistakes, like how Pep upgraded on his own buys like Nolito and Bravo.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Top 4 is going to be a struggle i think.

City and Chelsea are bankers, and Spurs and Liverpool both look far better than ourselves at present.

I was all for Jose at first but i'm starting to question whether its the right fit now and if he doesn't make top 4 he absolutely should be sacked, anything other than top 4 would be a disaster.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Thomas Tuchel.

Oh yeah, the guy who won the cup in Germany with klopp's team and now has no job? Oh yeah, lets experiment, after all, what do we have to lose?

Sack Jose now, put him out of his misery and make some people in the caf very very happy. They will pee their pants with excitement.

Jaap

Oh yeah, the guy who won the cup in Germany with klopp's team and now has no job? Oh yeah, lets experiment, after all, what do we have to lose?

Sack Jose now, put him out of his misery and make some people in the caf very very happy. They will pee their pants with excitement.
You don’t seem to know him very well.

I think he‘d do a very good job here; but I don’t think we should get rid of Mourinho (yet).

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
You don’t seem to know him very well.

I think he‘d do a very good job here; but I don’t think we should get rid of Mourinho (yet).

Did he not get the sack at Dortmund? Just saying.

Water Melon

Have no doubt he will be sacked if we are out of top 4 by the end of the season.

redNATION

I hope not. We can't keep sacking managers. Besides, who else would you have?
Allegri is an option, and he can bring Dybala and Sandro with him.

Simeone maybe, though his style of play is even more tumescent than Jose’s.

Luis Enrique is returning from his year out.

Zidane might be looking for a new challenge after Real.

Ancelotti is available.

Pochettino might be tempted away from Spurs.

Fact is, I’m seeing the narrative that there’s no decent alternatives but I see quite a good few options if Jose is given the boot. Allegri would be my choice, Italians have a surprisingly good record in this league.

Williams1960

Some knee-jerk stuff in here imo. My answer is no he shouldn't be, I personally don't think he will be but I can understand the sentiment I just think it is a little rushed though. He's the only manager who has a pedigree big enough to take us forward.

Some people have said that he may be losing the dressing room, well guess what, in my opinion there is a big rectangle there with a round thing on it - step to feck and find a new club if you don't want to play for Jose. At some point these guys after three managers have to take responsibility for what is happening or get fanged out the door pronto. Ta ta, see ya later. Woodward and Jose have to sack up and slash the dead meat from the carcass.

There isn't a single player imo who shouldn't be going first before the manager. Until we have some responsibility to take action on the pitch and execute then we punt player after player until we establish that core of hungry players who want to play no matter how big their gram account is or their media presence and wage is. The 90 minutes of hard graft has to come first.
As much as the players take the blame for their actions, it's always the manager who has to. As he is the one who has the job of making the players do their job. If the players are not doing the job you don't sack the players, you sack the manager.

The manager is the one who sorts out the discipline, picks the team, chooses the players he wants to buy and is like a father figure. Look how players played for ferguson.

The manager is the one who for me is giving players tactics that is not suited to them barring a few. Matic for example loves the way mourinho plays as it suits him. But pogba? No.

Lukaku? No. Miki, mata, rash, martial, mata etc? No

This is not for them. Hence why mourinho prefers workman like players.

For those thinking the football will get better, it won't. But yes results could.

I've seen jose through his years at Chelsea and Madrid. The aim is to create a team that does not conceded. Grinds the game to a halt at times. And relies on a couple of magic players to win the game.

Some would be very happy with that. But real Madrid certainly were not as the football is awful to watch. I'd love us to win the title but maybe it's because I am an old man that I want us to play good football. Even if it means we may have less wins or whatever but turning up to watch my team play and seeing us play like we did yesterday is truly awful.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics

Ancelotti is available.

Fact is, I’m seeing the narrative that there’s no decent alternatives but I see quite a good few options if Jose is given the boot.

Oh yes, Juventus will let Allegri take two of their best players with him, that is how football world works.

Luis Enrique? Wow, enough said.

Zidane will never come, simple as that.

Ancelloti...got sacked from every single club he ever worked for.

Pochettino would never leave Spurs, maybe in a few years, but not now.

Someone suggested Bruce or Hughes, I think these are credible options. Cheap and...er, cheap.

vidic blood & sand

Finishing outside the top four isn't as much an issue as watching boring tactical football.
We have a guy who's rarely at a club more than three years, has said that he doesn't expect to be with us till he retires, and has flirted with PSG.
He simply will NEVER EVER admit he is to blame for anything, it's always something else. Refs, players, money etc

I'd let him see out the season then move for Pochettino, and let him bring Kane with him.

kul m

Jose Mourinho has lost the dressing room, disjointed team vs southampton without the cutting edge, I think the city loss has affected the players

vidic blood & sand

Jose Mourinho has lost the dressing room, disjointed team vs southampton without the cutting edge, I think the city loss has affected the players
I don't think he allows players to express themselves. Ronaldo didn't like him, and Hazzard either. Mourinho likes us to score first then defend the lead.

Bestietom

The board have to prove that they are not just happy with top 4 finish by backing Mourinho in transfer market, or sack him.

Do you honestly think Mourinho himself would be happy with top 4 finish. He is a winner and needs to be backed. We are just not good enough and are falling further behind other clubs. Something has to be done quickly, no matter who the manager is. We need to invest. We are Manchester United the biggest club ( supporting club) in the world. We need to prove we are the best team also.

AlwaysRed66

As a blue I would be concerned if you brought in Simeone or Poch and more than happy if you kept Mourinho.
As a Man Utd supporter I would despair if Simeone ever set foot here as manager, & would certainly lead to a decline in the support of this club. I cannot think anyone worse than this guy, whose negative tactics make our last three managers look like Pep & Klopp.

ti vu

And between February and the next season big change happened? Forgot that we're dealing with replacing Zlatan and Rojo? And as expected, they ain't the same after the injury.

The team last season was built around Zlatan. Let's say we bought Lukaku in summer 2016 instead. I would bet my house that we wouldn't have bought Mkhi. So in February the plan was to continue building around Zlatan. In the end the fund go to replace him, and cover for Rojo leaving us with Matic as the sole improvement for the squad.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I hope not. We can't keep sacking managers. Besides, who else would you have?
This.

Its not just a case of immediate dismissal for not meeting the bare minimum. The greater issue is that its unlikely top managers are going to be falling over themselves to take the job, as we have already seen. Moyes was allegedly 5th choice, then we got Van Gaal. 3 years of mediocrity with no better options. Most of the best managers around are currently our rivals. Who do we even get? Unless there is a clear plan to actually improve on Jose if he fails (though I don't know who that could be) then we stick with him.

Bestietom

And between February and the next season big change happened? Forgot that we're dealing with replacing Zlatan and Rojo? And as expected, they ain't the same after the injury.

The team last season was built around Zlatan. Let's say we bought Lukaku in summer 2016 instead. I would bet my house that we wouldn't have bought Mkhi. So in February the plan was to continue building around Zlatan. In the end the fund go to replace him, and cover for Rojo leaving us with Matic as the sole improvement for the squad.
Why would anyone want to build around a 36 year old. Maybe building around Pogba should be the answer.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Ancelotti is available.

Fact is, I’m seeing the narrative that there’s no decent alternatives but I see quite a good few options if Jose is given the boot. Allegri would be my choice, Italians have a surprisingly good record in this league.
Allegri could be a good option tbf, didn't consider him. I still don't really see anyone available that would make me want to see Jose sacked though. Between December 2015 and May 2016 I was in favour of sacking van Gaal purely because Jose was free to take over. I don't really think we'd be able to get anyone better than Jose though, either now or in the summer.

ti vu

Why would anyone want to build around a 36 year old. Maybe building around Pogba should be the answer.
You missed the point? It's not long term building, but the focal of attack. Zlatan is better than Lukaku and fighting against CBs with his back against the goal. When he dropped deep he is better and that release other players. Last season other players go through to have clean chance many times just to fail to score. With Lukaku, we approach different that we need to supply him and the less him involving in deeper area, the better. We didn't have enough those supporting players last year, and it didn't miraculously change after a year with no signings in those positions.

deafepl

Ancelotti is available.

I thought Sarri might be better option for us as we don't have to change squad again, he is really good at working with the player with the limited budget, many of our players who worked with LVG would be familiar with Sarri but more attacking in way, with him, we are going to get jorginho from Napoli but if we were interested in bringing him to United, we have to get Mertens who have less than 30 m release clause to replace Lukaku because Lukaku is not kind of the striker Sarri would require or rolate with Martial and Rashford as striker. He improved Napoli and get out of many players. if Pep can do it with City, then so Sarri can do.

Camilo

it is clear we're shit at attacking. 3 Week ago, we still challanging for titles, now the title is gone and we fight for top 4 places, I wonder what's going to happen in next two months?

How can we prevent it from happening to us?
Come on now, we were never challenging for the title, we made a good start to a season. You challenge for the title in April and May. I think we all agreed that a top 4 finish is what we should be aiming for this year.

For me, Jose has to be given another year, regardless of where we finish, as long as the players are still playing for him. If yesterday becomes the norm in terms of performances, then I think he'll leave himself. It's make of break time for Jose though - if he gets this job wrong I don't see him getting another one, certainly not anywhere big.

As for the club getting rid, I don't think they'll be looking to sack him. LvG was only moved on because of Jose's availability, and I don't see who they'd move Jose on for.. Big Sam perhaps?

Hasawi Red

Top 4 should not be the benchmark, anything less then 3rd and no other trophies should cost the manager his job. This is how Modern football is now and if United consider themselves in the top 4-5 teams in the world they should start acting like it. Now, another benchmark should be the playing style even if the manager wins consistently if his style is negative he should be changed as well.

Until these benchmarks are set and the club's management defines the values to adhere to in both business and footballing terms then we will continue seeing these inconsistencies in what we look for in both our players and managers. The way it is now there are no clear parameters set for our footballing side and the best example is the contrasting type of managers we hired since Sir Alex retired and even the type of players signed. For example, Lukaku and Fellaini should never be the type of players we ever go for based on type of players being bought by Sir Alex in his tenor. So why change that, always we looked at players with the right mix of technical and physical attributes while making sure their character is made of the right stuff. For sure there were some pretty bad buys throughout the years but at least the due diligence was made in these aspects let alone how they will be utilized tactility and how they will fit the team later on.

To keep things short, we lack serious planning in the footballing side of management and i mean from the Board and the CEO it looks like a trial and error job which is a big disaster for a club the size of United.

Blind17

Because he knew he would only get that much.

Or, he made a mistake in assessing the squad and now realizes he fecked up. Never said Jose was blameless, but as a rich club, the least we can do is allow him a chance to rectify his mistakes, like how Pep upgraded on his own buys like Nolito and Bravo.
He was given a budget but he blew it on Pogba and Lukaku, if he can't get the best out of them, it's not the Board's problem.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
If he can't finish in the top four with this squad of players of course he should be sacked.

Last edited: