Will Manchester United always be the world’s biggest football club?

Parma Dewol

The subject line has been misconstrued, it was meant to be tongue in cheek as I don’t believe us to be the biggest club in the world.

Rather, the point is I’m amazed at just how popular we still are despite a decade in the doldrums.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It wouldn’t. Madrid are the biggest club in the world by footballing metrics, but in terms of support, love/hate, global recognition, nobody comes close to Manchester Utd. When we played that friendly agaisnt Madrid in the states afew years ago, there wasn’t a white shirt in the crowd, to the point that Madrid has to photoshop the picture. For players I’d agree that Madrid is clearly the pinnacle, but in terms of brand and support, Utd are just so much more.
Yeah that's not true at all. I was in Ann Arbor and at the Big House that day. There were more red shirts for sure, but there was still a ton of Madrid support.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
If by biggest you mean iconic then it's possible.

The Yankees have been terrible to average for a while and still, everywhere I travel I see Yankees hats and they are still the most popular baseball team.
The Dallas Cowboys are still called America's team and by far have the most fans despite not winning since the 90s.

I honestly believe the first two won't ever change in my lifetime or the next generation, but who knows?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The concept of the “biggest club in the world” is anachronistic. In the current era, a club is massive if it makes the news. Good football ability and cup winning exploits are optional.

pablo__p

IMO we're 2nd tier club at things stand. Yes, still big but can't see young fans in different time zones waking up en masse, in the middle of the night to watch this group of players.

Heck, myself, I never thought I could miss a United game, a missed carabao cup game was max I could accept per season. That's a thing of a past now.

If you aspire to be big, you need deliver big things. Simple as.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are getting to Liverpool 90s level soon, and probably Milan level next.