Will Manchester United always be the world’s biggest football club?

Parma Dewol

That subject line is sure to ruffle some Barcelona and Madrid feathers, but that’s kind of the point.

For a decade now, United has been a laughing stock. A shambles of a club that brings a morbidly special form of entertainment to millions of followers who can’t keep their eyes off it. Akin to watching a gruesome car crash each weekend.

The Caf banter thread highlights some of the best (worst?) moments of the last 10 years, yet despite becoming a laughing stock, the club is still a huge draw, whichever way you look at it.

Media obsession continues unabated, which in itself is remarkable given how well competing sides are playing, yet the headlines remain reserved for United. I don’t recall any other proposed takeover getting the attention ours has, and every opposing team ups their game for the visit to Old Trafford; we are still the opponent everyone wants to beat - have they not realised we’re a pushover?

Same applies to the fanbase. Often see or hear plenty of grief for the support given by match-going fans, but honestly, it wouldn’t matter if all die-hard followers gave up their tickets; the clamour of people wanting to go to leaky Old Trafford remains undeterred. At a game not long ago, a young man from China was sat next to me. Hadn’t seen him before but got talking and turned out he’d made the pilgrimage all the way over just to see the match. It was peeing down with rain, we were abysmal, and lost, yet he was so happy just to be there. A lifelong dream come true.

This past week I’ve been abroad and ended up watching the City game in a hotel lobby. They’d had sport on all week but this was the first and only football match they showed, and people started to crowd around the big screen. When City scored the opener, a fair few started cheering. I was gobsmacked at the thought of City supporters abroad so got talking to them; turns out there wasn’t a single City supporter there, they were fans of other clubs who just loved to see United lose. The only other Brit was a Leeds fan and she said she took solace in her club’s relegation in the knowledge Man Utd is the gift that keeps giving. A Barcelona fan was similarly ecstatic about our trials and tribulations.

It’s no small wonder the Glazers are reluctant to sell. United remains a force of nature, for all the wrong reasons, and it’s testament to what Sir Alex and all the other legends have built throughout the course of our incredible history.

When you ignore the shit show on the pitch, it is remarkable how big United still are, and the unique implications that brings. Used to think we’d experience a quick fall from grace if we didn’t get back to winning ways, but the longer it goes, the more it becomes an obsession of when/if United will win another title. The whole footballing world is waiting for it.

Makes you wonder, will we always be perceived as the ultimate club no matter how things pan out, and is it possible in the modern era for such a big sporting entity to shift out of the limelight for good?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
The romanticism is already waning. Our generation in their late 30's who grew up watching peak United under SAF won't be able to wean our kids into believing in the legends. I think the last generation who grew up on the Ronaldo era at United will carry the torch for a little while longer. After that it's pretty much lights out, like Milan.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Is this a joke ?

The ability to call United the world's biggest club with a straight face stopped when United sold their best player to Madrid and he went on to win 4 Champions Leagues with them, which is more than United managed in their entire history.

This would have been the case (Real being biggest, hands down) even had United maintained their SAF levels of success in the last ten years.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s been 10 years since the club did anything in the latter rounds of the UCL, a decade without a premier league title, a decade of being a banter club. United will always be huge but the next generation of kids probably won’t see them the same.

fallengt

Biggest bananas busting banter in the business, hell yea

Tarrou

I mean, even if we were now the answer would be no.. but we’re not now anyway

we’re still one of the most supported, but that will diminish over time without success

Ibi Dreams

I live in Asia and I am always surprised by how popular we still are here. When I ask locals who they support, it's United more than any other team. Even with kids, despite the fact that we've been shit for basically their entire lives.

It won't last forever if we don't become a serious club again, but our popularity feels surprisingly healthy to me

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Another 10 years and we’ll basically be Liverpool level.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Real Madrid is the biggest club in the world. If Real Madrid were to be sold (not that they can be sold), their “proposed takeover” would dwarf whatever attention you are seeing now

Zen86

The “world’s biggest football club” trophy doesn’t mean shit in an age where nation states come and dictate who wins what.

justboy68

Madrid are the biggest club, always have been and it's not even close. Anyway who gives a feck?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
No. Young people have no reason to have a special relation. The Generation that has the most money now however does, but people die or just stop caring about football, so United's relevance will decrease very slowly

Contano

The people that still despise United are of an older generation. The young uns don't give a crap about United. I live in Barcelona, the local kids that are not wearing Barca or Madrid jerseys are wearing City, Liverpool or PSG. The only videos my little spanish nephew shows me of United are Harry Maguire memes. We are a laughing stock for the young uns. Look at the state of us on the pitch, look at the state of us in the press (didn't happen under Ferguson), look at the state of our stadium, our training facilities, our owners......I mean compare our stadium to Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG, City, Arsenal, Spuds, WHam even..... We maybe were one of the biggest clubs in the world, we are not now. The club repeating it and getting it's players to repeat doesn't make it true unfortunately.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I don't think anyone can make a serious case against Real Madrid being the biggest club.

However, I do think United remain one of the biggest despite the last 10 years, but we are rapidly moving towards Liverpool in the early 00s territory if we keep this up.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Nope. Success dictates fan base to an extent (see city). We’ll always be huge and relevant - well in our lifetimes anyway, but decades in the doldrums would mean less of an uptake of the new generation etc. You get the picture

swissgenius

Of course not, Real and Barcelona are already bigger football clubs, and will be for a long time.

United is still the biggest club in England but glory fades away year after year. Liverpool is awfully close wether you like it or not.
There is no guarantee that the media will always love us, because if this current sulking continues for another decade, we become irrelevant. Only successfull teams get enough 'Schadenfreude' to stay interesting.
'Biggest club' is not a permanent term. Anderlecht and Spartak Moskow lead the UEFA rankings during 1958 - 1987, no one speaks about them today.

TSop

Supports
Altrincham
not even the biggest club in Manchester anymore

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Up until recently, I would have said that United, Liverpool, Madrid, Barca, Bayern were the big 5, in terms of heritage, support and continued (recent) success, relatively speaking. Of those, United are clearly at the bottom of the current pile and are at risk of falling into that second tier, alongside AC Milan, Ajax and Juventus.

Marcus

We aren't the biggest club now. So your title is misleading.

Overseas supporters are fickle. You are stuck with a club you fell in love with right when you were young. But for brand new young supporters, the club they fall in love with will be one which plays attractive football and wins stuff. It's not us.

El Zoido

“World’s biggest club” depends where you are in the world. United are bigger in North America and Asia, but Real Madrid are bigger in Central and South America. Madrid are retaining the building their fanbase but we’re losing ours, slowly.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
According to a YouTube video of HITC I watched, Liverpool are supposed to be the most popular club in Ireland. This was a surprise to me. But then I'm an United supporter from overseas.

Skills

Snitch
Nope. Liverpool at least had Istanbul in the middle of their years of decline to stay relevant.

We've got a few top 4 trophies, though as much as our fanbase celebrate them like CL wins - don't mean much outside of this club. Especially as the club humiliates itself every year it actually makes it into the CL.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The people that still despise United are of an older generation. The young uns don't give a crap about United. I live in Barcelona, the local kids that are not wearing Barca or Madrid jerseys are wearing City, Liverpool or PSG. The only videos my little spanish nephew shows me of United are Harry Maguire memes. We are a laughing stock for the young uns. Look at the state of us on the pitch, look at the state of us in the press (didn't happen under Ferguson), look at the state of our stadium, our training facilities, our owners......I mean compare our stadium to Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG, City, Arsenal, Spuds, WHam even..... We maybe were one of the biggest clubs in the world, we are not now. The club repeating it and getting it's players to repeat doesn't make it true unfortunately.
Parc de Prince is comparable to Old Trafford. City and West Ham rent their stadiums. They don't own one and the value of the clubs would reflect that.

Strange that you don't see Espanyol kits in Barcelona. Not strange that you've seen PSG ones because of Messi. Don't think you'll see them in 10 years time though. I haven't seen PSG merch that wasn't tagged with Messi. Not strange that you don't see many English ones.

JB7

This whole "state of the stadium" narrative needs to die off. It's not the best stadium in the country like it was for many years but it's still a better place to watch football than 99% of the stadiums around Europe.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Parc de Prince is comparable to Old Trafford. City and West Ham rent their stadiums. They don't own one and the value of the clubs would reflect that.

Strange that you don't see Espanyol kits in Barcelona. Not strange that you've seen PSG ones because of Messi. Don't think you'll see them in 10 years time though. I haven't seen PSG merch that wasn't tagged with Messi. Not strange that you don't see many English ones.
I always see PSG merch to be fair, with either Mbappe, Messi or Neymar on the back. Even with two of them gone, my kids local football team has loads of kids turn up in PSG merch. I'd say they're 3rd most popular behind City and Arsenal. PSG and the Jordan brand has helped with their marketing a lot.

el3mel

This was just propaganda done by Woodward to sell his project for the club. We aren't the biggest club in the world and I will go as far to say we have never been. No neutral fan ever believed this.

Contano

Fair enough about the renting situation and I get that, but those clubs are still seen to have wonderful and modern stadiums. As for Espanyol, well they really are the invisible club here in Barcelona. You would be hard pressed to find kids running around in Espanyol jerseys. With the new stadium now outside the city limits, it seems they're more of an afterthought. Understand PSG is more of fashion choice though rather than actually supporting the club, but still says alot that you see the jersey worn all over the place, and hopefully it won't be the case in 10 years time of course. It's definitely not strange to not see many english jerseys but really does make me sick to see the little ones sporting city and liverpool ones. That was not seen even 3/4 years ago.

Romez

Pointless accolade, all it means these days is we have the most fans.

Keep going the way we are and even the financial advantage of being the "biggest" club will wane.

Contano

This whole "state of the stadium" narrative needs to die off. It's not the best stadium in the country like it was for many years but it's still a better place to watch football than 99% of the stadiums around Europe.
I have been to the stadium many a time, I love the stadium, I love the history, the nostalgia, the noise. I love the people, the surrounding areas, I love all of it's quirks and I would prefer to watch football in Old Trafford than other stadium in the world. But, the stadium is old and neglected. it is not up to the standards that would be set by a "Biggest club in the world"

JB7

I have been to the stadium many a time, I love the stadium, I love the history, the nostalgia, the noise. I love the people, the surrounding areas, I love all of it's quirks and I would prefer to watch football in Old Trafford than other stadium in the world. But, the stadium is old and neglected. it is not up to the standards that would be set by a "Biggest club in the world"
I didn't say you hadn't been, that's doesn't mean the line isn't massively exaggerated. It's old, yes, neglected, also yes, but it's still a comfortably better stadium than 99% of places we go.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The term "biggest club" is stupid as hell anyway. The things that matter are the most successful, and the richest clubs. We are among the richest (not the richest though, and no longer the most successful. Well, never have been the most successful, but used to be among the most successful. If you want to get into "most fans" (it's pointless), then we're probably 3rd behind Madrid and Barca. Either way doesn't matter. What matters is revenues, finances, and turning that into success. We have a top level with that, but we don't turn it into success. The gap we had to the rest has shrunk and we are no longer clear at the top with finances. Now we have to succeed through good management. If we ever get that.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
The biggest should be the most successful, otherwise you could proclaim some team in India or China as the biggest based on support alone.

In that train of thought, Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world and it's not even close.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Madrid are the biggest club, always have been and it's not even close. Anyway who gives a feck?
It wouldn’t. Madrid are the biggest club in the world by footballing metrics, but in terms of support, love/hate, global recognition, nobody comes close to Manchester Utd. When we played that friendly agaisnt Madrid in the states afew years ago, there wasn’t a white shirt in the crowd, to the point that Madrid has to photoshop the picture. For players I’d agree that Madrid is clearly the pinnacle, but in terms of brand and support, Utd are just so much more.

Apokalips

Real are bigger and they act like it too. They built a brand of prestige around their club which makes players strongly desire to play for them and in turn keeps them successful on the pitch.

AlexMG

If we want to always remain big, we must act like it.
Players who do not have the quality of Man Utd, players who are not aware that they are playing for Man Utd, manager who are not aware that they are leading Man Utd, and if it continues like this, our greatness will only remain in memories.
Let's be realistic, even ordinary clubs are now looking at us saying they can get 3 points.
That light in the past will diminish and fade over time, we cannot continue like this.