Will they ever introduce a stop clock in football?

phelans shorts

You already have terrible transport to and from games. Especially late kick offs in the winter. Let’s add even more time on. Yes great idea.
Match going fans don’t matter any more. Lives should be entirely devoted to ensuring they watch 90 complete minutes of the likes of Dominic Solanke or Josh King every week.

sugar_kane

Match going fans don’t matter any more. Lives should be entirely devoted to ensuring they watch 90 complete minutes of the likes of Dominic Solanke or Josh King every week.
It's been said a few times on this thread that the game should work to 60 minutes, which is just above the average (55 minutes) but ensures we don't get the likes of Stoke, Atletico etc. taking the piss delivering 40 minute games.

sugar_kane

They want a pilot for it in the Dutch 2nd division in the 22-23 season (or 23-24, I forgot and am too lazy to look it up). They will combine it with a few other changes; kick-in instead of throw in, dribbled (or self pass) free kick and unlimited subs.

Clubs are whinging the FA didn't actually consult them in the decision making process (typical Dutch FA feckwittery), so they had to issue an aoology to them.

Hope they still do it though. Football could use some innovation. Especially the kind that impacts time wasting and all the play acting that comes with it.
Didn't know that, it's a shame they're tying it in with the other stuff (kick ins) as they sound crap and will taint the perception of the stop clock approach.

As with any test it makes no sense to change a bunch of variables at once.

phelans shorts

It's been said a few times on this thread that the game should work to 60 minutes, which is just above the average (55 minutes) but ensures we don't get the likes of Stoke, Atletico etc. taking the piss delivering 40 minute games.
What’s the problem with teams using a tactic that works to their advantage though? Do you think Atletico fans feel short changed now that they’re one of Europe’s biggest teams compared to ten years ago? Were Stoke feeling short changed when they were getting into Europe rather than languishing mid table in the championship?

It’s an unnecessary change that doesn’t actually make any logistical sense for fans just for the sake of the teams at the top who can afford to fill their squads up to say it’s “fair” that tactics they don’t like can no longer be used against them, and give them an easier run at success.

swissgenius

Yes! 60 to 70 minutes playing time is fine, you'd get the same 90min games but not controlled by fake injuries.
You'd probably see more 'in-play' time wasting like defense sideways passing. But that is something the opponent can change by pressing more.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'm not keen on the 60-minute, stop the clock every time the ball is out of play idea. I just don't like so much change in one go I suppose.

Would be up for accurate injury time, stopping a 90-minute clock when a physio is called on, starting it again when play is resumed. That would be easy to do. Maybe the same when it comes lost time for substitutions and goals too.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This would be the single biggest improvement they could bring to the game that would make me interested in watching games again. That, and yellow cards for everyone bar the captains who argue with the ref or invade his personal space.
About the yellow cards part of your post, I don't get why such an easy problem has never been attempted to be corrected.
If you book players regularly for dissent, they will change their behavior

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Didn't know that, it's a shame they're tying it in with the other stuff (kick ins) as they sound crap and will taint the perception of the stop clock approach.

As with any test it makes no sense to change a bunch of variables at once.
Yeah the kick in is weird. What's the point of a corner kick then. The dribbled free kick will also be a huge adjustment for a defense. Someone being able to dribble a free kick on the edge of the box sounds quite dangerous.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What is the reason people think it wouldn't be replicable at lower levels? If they can stop the clock in high school basketball or gridiron football as those sports require, I don't see why they can't do it for lower league/amateur football. Seems like it would be one of the simplest innovations to apply at all levels, compared to such changes as goal line technology, VAR and all of the microanalysis of the offside rule it enables.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What is the reason people think it wouldn't be replicable at lower levels? If they can stop the clock in high school basketball or gridiron football as those sports require, I don't see why they can't do it for lower league/amateur football. Seems like it would be one of the simplest innovations to apply at all levels, compared to such changes as goal line technology, VAR and all of the microanalysis of the offside rule it enables.
Would require extra bodies and equipment to manage. Currently the referee manages the time and everyone watching knows how long there is left because there is roughly 45 minutes a half. You would now need an extra neutral official to manage the time on some sort of screen visible to everyone playing and watching. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but at amateur or even semi-professional level each official costs proportionately a fair whack of money and are limited in number.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It only needs to be implemented for certain situations.

If the ball goes out for a throw in/corner/goal kick there's no need to stop time.

The only situation the clock needs to be stopped is when players go down "injured" in the 85th+ minute or when managers start making subs in that same time.
Personally im not in favour but IF they are to do do I hope it’s more like as you’ve suggested. The rest is part and parcel of the game. I’d also stop it if a player goes down injured in normal time.
I’d also stop it every time liverpool seem to go on the attack or when Klopp smiles. You could introduce American style razzmatazz “it’s klopppppppppp clock time!”